Pregnancy #17 sponsored by heartburn, hormones and McDonald's (obvs!)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For the first time I am the most pregnant woman in this waiting room and I am loving my life 🤣
I remember my 12 week scan sitting there feeling like an idiot surrounded by massive bumps. Time flies girl! Hope all is well with baby girl x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hey everyone, this has probably been discussed before but I don’t have it in me to read all the previous threads 😂. I’m pregnant with my first baby and I’m wondering what your absolute must haves were for your babies if you’ve had one before? There’s so much online and I don’t want to find myself buying things I won’t use or need! Thanks in advance! 💗
Metanium nappy cream! Works soooo much better than bepanthen! Don’t bother with the baby hooded towels, they grow out of them so quick - I just use a nice big fluffy towels.
millions of muslins - you can NEVER have too many

Reactions: 9
Midwife appointment tomorrow at 3:45 to find out if I’m getting a positioning scan and need a section and I need to stay busy to pass the time quickly so it comes round fast but time is DRAGGING. Help meeee.

Off to make some crumpets / eat chunks of cheese out the fridge.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Hey everyone, this has probably been discussed before but I don’t have it in me to read all the previous threads 😂. I’m pregnant with my first baby and I’m wondering what your absolute must haves were for your babies if you’ve had one before? There’s so much online and I don’t want to find myself buying things I won’t use or need! Thanks in advance! 💗
- Next to me crib
- Sleepsuits (more than you think you’ll need 😂)
- Muslin squares (again, more than you think you’ll need - the oversized ones are great for feeding under in public, swaddling or just as a thin blanket when it’s warm)
- Stretchy wrap (I have one that’s pre-wrapped so you pop it in like a t-shirt so no need to faff)
- Car seat with isofix base
- Sleepyhead (I know they’re controversial though - there’s some really good research pages online that will help you if you’re interested in learning more)
- Baby nail file

Things I wouldn’t bother with:
- Prep machine - looks amazing but I bought in case I couldn’t breastfeed which was a stupid (and expensive) idea in hindsight - should have just waited to see how it went 😂 I’d hold off unless you know you’re formula feeding!
- Playmat until baby is older, mine is just as happy on a rug/throw with a black and white book or mirror
- Stupidly expensive bouncer, mine screams blue murder but loves the simple manual one I bought as a replacement
- Scratch mitts and socks if they’re only wearing sleepsuits

• Heart
Reactions: 4
As I'm nearing my due date it's definitely starting to feel more real and I'm starting to think more about the birth and lead up (after burying my head in the sand for the last 7-8 months!)

I've got three (very varied) questions this morning for those who have already got kids...

1) What is a mucus plug and how do you know you're losing it? Is it dead obvious? I'm just concerned because in the last week or so my discharge has really upped it's game so now I'm thinking what if that is the mucus plug?! (I appreciate this may well sound ridiculous but I am clueless!)

2) Tens machines, are they worth a go? A couple of people I know have recently recommended getting one or hiring one. Did any of you use one and would you agree?

3) I would like to try and breast feed, but I am worried I won't get on with it straight after birth and the pressure to feed will be too much. So, should I take some of the premade milk in my hospital bag, or am I "setting myself up to fail" as the midwife told me. For me it would be a back up and I would feel more reassured knowing I have it, just incase, but she seemed really adamant that it was a bad idea and I shouldn't.

Thank you 💖✨

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'll be purely formula feeding (can't breastfeed due to meds) - how many bottles do you think I'll need? I feel like I should just buy at least 8 so I'm not relying on washing/sterilising before every feed and perhaps getting a microwave steriliser to save having loads of gadgets?

Can anyone recommend a decent brand of bottles? I was gonna go with standard Tommee Tippee but looking online there's loads of brands with better reviews and now I'm confused! Are anti-colic bottles any better? Should I just get a couple and see if she gets on with them first?

Argh!

As I'm nearing my due date it's definitely starting to feel more real and I'm starting to think more about the birth and lead up (after burying my head in the sand for the last 7-8 months!)

I've got three (very varied) questions this morning for those who have already got kids...

1) What is a mucus plug and how do you know you're losing it? Is it dead obvious? I'm just concerned because in the last week or so my discharge has really upped it's game so now I'm thinking what if that is the mucus plug?! (I appreciate this may well sound ridiculous but I am clueless!)

2) Tens machines, are they worth a go? A couple of people I know have recently recommended getting one or hiring one. Did any of you use one and would you agree?

3) I would like to try and breast feed, but I am worried I won't get on with it straight after birth and the pressure to feed will be too much. So, should I take some of the premade milk in my hospital bag, or am I "setting myself up to fail" as the midwife told me. For me it would be a back up and I would feel more reassured knowing I have it, just incase, but she seemed really adamant that it was a bad idea and I shouldn't.

Thank you 💖✨
1) its a kinda snot like discharge, can be clear or yellow with tinges of blood. I lost mine in small amounts over the week before I gave birth. Losing it doesn't mean much to as it can re generate.

2) can't comment I've never used one sorry!

3) I was told in the hospital that if I couldn't get her to breastfeed they would provide milk or I could express. They won't let baby go hungry and if it came to it your partner could nip out and get some and drop it off for you?

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Thank you 💖✨
1) It’s kind of like a clear or yellow, stretchy jelly that can be tinged with blood. It looks like snot and is quite thick. Mine was quite bloody (tmi sorry) which I think was referred to as a bloody show so it was quite obvious that it wasn’t discharge but even once it was clear, it had a different consistency to regular discharge..

2) I didn’t use one but my friend raved about hers, so might be worth a go?

3) I felt exactly the same but didn’t end up taking any and I’m glad I didn’t, there were plenty of midwives on hand to help me get started breastfeeding. To be fair it went well in hospital so I wouldn’t have used the formula, it was once I was home without 24/7 help I struggled a little more. I think if I’d had formula in I’d have stopped about day 2! As it was I didn’t have any at home either so persevered and got help from the midwives everyday for 3/4 days to get her latch better! I have ended up giving her a bottle of formula in the evenings but that’s because she’s very snacky and my nipples need a break 😂 once I can get to grips with expressing regularly I’ll probably switch it for a bottle of expressed milk.

• Heart
@Gorbs @I’mThankyou_ and any other twin mums when are you packing your hospital bag? The book I’m reading at the moment says it should be done by 28 weeks just to be safe. Not sure if I’m going to be that organised as I’m still going into work full time 😅
Oh my god that's such a scary thought! I'm a bit of a control freak tbf so I'll probs have it done by then but it just feels so far in the future when it's really not haha
I am probably massively overestimating here so keep me right, I had this MASSIVE 30kg capacity suitcase I took on my month long honeymoon and just assumed that would do for all of us...would that be a pisstake taking into hospital? Otherwise I feel like I'd be taking loads and loads of small overnight bags cus I'd never fit everything in!

Reactions: 1

Thank you 💖✨
Our dates are very close together and I buried my head in the sand until probably two weeks ago now I feel I have accepted that very soon I will have a baby to take care of and devote my time to. I am in no way the motherly time and I am very strict with my step son and I worried for ages I wouldn’t be able to do this. Now I keep thinking to myself yes I can do it because the love and worry I have felt through all of these growth scans and checks showed me how much I love her already. Everything will be ok 👌🏽 and I too am sponsored by extra discharge 😂

- Next to me crib
- Sleepsuits (more than you think you’ll need 😂)
- Muslin squares (again, more than you think you’ll need - the oversized ones are great for feeding under in public, swaddling or just as a thin blanket when it’s warm)
- Stretchy wrap (I have one that’s pre-wrapped so you pop it in like a t-shirt so no need to faff)
- Car seat with isofix base
- Sleepyhead (I know they’re controversial though - there’s some really good research pages online that will help you if you’re interested in learning more)
- Baby nail file

Things I wouldn’t bother with:
- Prep machine - looks amazing but I bought in case I couldn’t breastfeed which was a stupid (and expensive) idea in hindsight - should have just waited to see how it went 😂 I’d hold off unless you know you’re formula feeding!
- Playmat until baby is older, mine is just as happy on a rug/throw with a black and white book or mirror
- Stupidly expensive bouncer, mine screams blue murder but loves the simple manual one I bought as a replacement
- Scratch mitts and socks if they’re only wearing sleepsuits
As an alternative to the sleepyhead it is very similar but try the purflow for safe sleeping as it is approved I believe just a suggestion x

Reactions: 3

Thank you 💖✨
Just wanted to say I’d really recommend the free birth and baby class run by the honest midwife. It goes through everything to do with the lead up to the birth, how your body prepares (including a bit about the mucus plug) and then the birth itself. Think it was about 2 hours long online and we just logged on and watched with our cameras off!

Reactions: 5
Just wanted to say I’d really recommend the free birth and baby class run by the honest midwife. It goes through everything to do with the lead up to the birth, how your body prepares (including a bit about the mucus plug) and then the birth itself. Think it was about 2 hours long online and we just logged on and watched with our cameras off!
Amazing. I will look into this now, thank you. I've done a first aid course and some of the baby academy free ones but this sounds like a good one!x

Is it the late pregnancy, labour and birth one? X

@Hushpuppy regarding breastfeeding, with my first, they encouraged it massively. I remember having to try and express into a syringe 🙈
Found with second, midwife was helpful, but got no help beyond, with the third, well, I was apparently to know what I was doing, so was left to it. When I went through to the ward after, I asked for someone to come and help, but no one did, but by that point, I just wanted to get home and get a bottle
If you feel that you want to take a bottle in, take one in. Even if you can’t breastfeed straight away, you still can. Your milk won’t go just because the baby has a few bottles. It normally takes a week to go. You may feel more comfortable speaking to your midwife when she comes to visit you after you leave hospital x

• Heart
A sling! I genuinely don’t know how people survive without one!

Thank you 💖✨
In terms of the breastfeeding, why don’t you have some of the premade formula at home, and then your OH can bring it in if you need it? In the first days baby needs such a little amount of breast milk, so if all was well and you were home quickly I think it is unlikely you’d desperately need the formula if you are giving bf a go x

Been to the growth scan baby is back on 52nd centile so that’s fine just been to the midwife and now I have very high blood pressure abs have to go to mau after I’ve been to the dentist ffs this day ☹

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Been to the growth scan baby is back on 52nd centile so that’s fine just been to the midwife and now I have very high blood pressure abs have to go to mau after I’ve been to the dentist ffs this day ☹
Glad to hear the growth scan went well. Try not to worry too much about the blood pressure just yet, surely it could have been raised because you were worried about the growth scan etc? Fingers crossed it'll all go smoothly again this evening x

Why don’t you have some of the premade formula at home, and then your OH can bring it in if you need it? In the first days baby needs such a little amount of breast milk, so if all was well and you were home quickly I think it is unlikely you’d desperately need the formula if you are giving bf a go x
That's a good idea, I was just going to leave a box in the car, I wasn't going to actually take it in to the hospital with me (mainly because I've already over packed!) But the midwife was really against even that!

Amazing. I will look into this now, thank you. I've done a first aid course and some of the baby academy free ones but this sounds like a good one!x

Is it the late pregnancy, labour and birth one? X
Yeah, this one. I also booked onto the other class they do after about ‘complex’ labour which covers inductions, c sections, assisted delivery etc. It was £20 but if you leave a review after the free session they give you a discount code which makes it £16 x

Which first aid course did you do by the way? I looked at a few a couple of weeks ago but never got as far as actually booking.

Glad to hear the growth scan went well. Try not to worry too much about the blood pressure just yet, surely it could have been raised because you were worried about the growth scan etc? Fingers crossed it'll all go smoothly again this evening x

That's a good idea, I was just going to leave a box in the car, I wasn't going to actually take it in to the hospital with me (mainly because I've already over packed!) But the midwife was really against even that!
I’m not asking anyone’s opinion on the milk (like midwives etc) 😆 because of the meds I’m on, I may have to go under general anaesthetic for a c section so I’ve got the pre made bottles incase my partner needs to feed her while I’m still asleep.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.