Pregnancy #12 the joys of pregnancy (and eating)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve got my anomaly scan in 10 days.. I’ll be 21 weeks then.. do you think they will be able to tell me the gender or am I better off booking a private gender scan?
They should be able to tell then, all depends on how bubba is laying though I guess. Was told to drink a fizzy drink and eat chocolate an hour before so bubba is active!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’m 5 weeks today, and every single muscle is aching and I’m exhausted. Being back at work tomorrow just makes me wanna cry 🙈😭 I just want to be in my happy weekend bubble!

• Sad
Reactions: 3
We have always started by showing a scan picture and just explain it as this is the baby growing in my tummy, when it comes out (and give a time reference eg just before Christmas, after your birthday) they will come and live with us as part of our family. Then just leave it. We don’t force them to talk about it, we never ask them to tell other people or discuss it with others unless they bring it up.

I would say things like “oh I am tired today, the baby in my tummy sometimes makes me tired/sick etc” or if we see a baby say “soon our baby will be coming to live with us”. So just chat about it when it comes up, keep it casual, and don’t expect anything at all. My kids have always loved chatting about it, but I know other kids who’ve not once mentioned the baby after they’ve been told.

Also mention things that will change in the house - “oh we will have a cot in our room for the baby/we will need another car seat for the baby”. I think when kids know practicalities of things they are better able to deal. Also as it gets closer to the time explaining what will happen to your son when you’re in labour eg “when the baby is coming out of my tummy you’ll be sleeping at granny’s house”

There are lots of books you can get from the library in the subject as well.
Thank you for this! We actually have our previous car seat at work and he’s quite aware (I don’t know how!) of that it’s for a baby and the same with the younger toys he had.

So I feel quite reassured that he understands what happens in general but obviously at some point we have to relate it to our family and home. I love your points about them coming to live with us as it’s so factual and to the point. Likewise with not having much of an expectation, he’s quite a nosy little tinker so I’m sure he’ll like to be involved when we talk but I know at his age too, I have to let him find his own boundary for it. So thank you!!

I guess we just have to make the decision of when we feel ready to tell him. He’s seen scan pictures and asked what they are but I’ve just said they’re pictures and not specified of what exactly 🙈 I feel like it will certainly make it feel more real!

• Haha
Thank you for this! We actually have our previous car seat at work and he’s quite aware (I don’t know how!) of that it’s for a baby and the same with the younger toys he had.

So I feel quite reassured that he understands what happens in general but obviously at some point we have to relate it to our family and home. I love your points about them coming to live with us as it’s so factual and to the point. Likewise with not having much of an expectation, he’s quite a nosy little tinker so I’m sure he’ll like to be involved when we talk but I know at his age too, I have to let him find his own boundary for it. So thank you!!

I guess we just have to make the decision of when we feel ready to tell him. He’s seen scan pictures and asked what they are but I’ve just said they’re pictures and not specified of what exactly 🙈 I feel like it will certainly make it feel more real!
Oh it definitely feels more real once they know, and when they mention it! It can be such a long wait for little ones, “how much longer until the baby comes?” Is always a common question during my pregnancies!

And you may be surprised by just how well he grasps it. People would often say to me “oh but sure they don’t really know what it means” but all mine have been very definite in their knowledge that a baby will come, and it will live with us, and when baby is here they will cuddle/kiss etc! Both girls were 2.5 when their brothers were born, my son was almost 3 when his little sister was born, so still young but they always had a great understanding. Sometimes I felt they were more prepared than I was 🤣

• Haha
We have always started by showing a scan picture and just explain it as this is the baby growing in my tummy, when it comes out (and give a time reference eg just before Christmas, after your birthday) they will come and live with us as part of our family. Then just leave it. We don’t force them to talk about it, we never ask them to tell other people or discuss it with others unless they bring it up.

I would say things like “oh I am tired today, the baby in my tummy sometimes makes me tired/sick etc” or if we see a baby say “soon our baby will be coming to live with us”. So just chat about it when it comes up, keep it casual, and don’t expect anything at all. My kids have always loved chatting about it, but I know other kids who’ve not once mentioned the baby after they’ve been told.

Also mention things that will change in the house - “oh we will have a cot in our room for the baby/we will need another car seat for the baby”. I think when kids know practicalities of things they are better able to deal. Also as it gets closer to the time explaining what will happen to your son when you’re in labour eg “when the baby is coming out of my tummy you’ll be sleeping at granny’s house”

There are lots of books you can get from the library in the subject as well.
this is so lovely, even I now feel relaxed and calm!

my son has a jellycat rabbit, it’s his comfort and has had it since the day he was born. My plan is the let him chose one for his baby brother/sister nearer the time as a gift for the baby. Also we have planned the baby will bring a gift… of a giant monster truck.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hello everyone, finally found it here. Is/has anyone not got on well with the folic acid supplements? They've made my skin go bumpy?? And yes fairly constipated 😐

Hello everyone, finally found it here. Is/has anyone not got on well with the folic acid supplements? They've made my skin go bumpy?? And yes fairly constipated 😐
Horrific… had awful constipation from about week 7-16 🙈 prune juice and 1 dulcolax helped sort me

They should be able to tell then, all depends on how bubba is laying though I guess. Was told to drink a fizzy drink and eat chocolate an hour before so bubba is active!
The last 2 scans I was at the baby was facing towards my back so hopefully it may love this time🤣 Jesus does that work? The chocolate and fizzy drink?

I drank the innocent smoothies or the green machine smoothies lactulose works but I would avoid until you have to because i had too much once and made me so ill xx

Reactions: 1
We had the scan and I can't believe how baby-like he looks, which I know must sound silly! I can't believe I was undecided about whether to book one or not, I'm so glad we did.
He honestly looks ready to come out, but I've still got another 11 weeks! He's got cheeks for days and the most gorgeous full lips. I think I need to back off the pringles/niknaks/wheat crunchies because his cheeks are a real give away! 🤣🙄🤦🏼‍♀️🐷

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Try eating a handful (I eat about 6) dried apricots every morning, it really works. I did it when pregnant with my son 5 years ago and never once got constipated. Absolute life saver 😂😂

this is so lovely, even I now feel relaxed and calm!

my son has a jellycat rabbit, it’s his comfort and has had it since the day he was born. My plan is the let him chose one for his baby brother/sister nearer the time as a gift for the baby. Also we have planned the baby will bring a gift… of a giant monster truck.
I wouldn’t want to be squeezing a monster truck out as well as a baby 😂 I’m sure your son will love that. The jelly cat rabbits are lovely, we have A few in varying sizes and they are so soft and snuggly 🥰

• Haha
I wouldn’t want to be squeezing a monster truck out as well as a baby 😂 I’m sure your son will love that. The jelly cat rabbits are lovely, we have A few in varying sizes and they are so soft and snuggly 🥰
Ours is a cordy roy called Babbit. He was a bunny, then a rabbit, and then my half asleep husband called him Babbit and it stuck. He occasionally comes to work with me!

also I hate monster trucks. I am sick of them. Sick of finding them in the bed, in my bag, in the car….

• Heart
  • Haha
36+1 today abd last things we need are arriving thanks to amazon tomorrow, I can finally relax now.
Hospital bag fully packed with everything.
Ready for baby boy 💙

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Horrific… had awful constipation from about week 7-16 🙈 prune juice and 1 dulcolax helped sort me

The last 2 scans I was at the baby was facing towards my back so hopefully it may love this time🤣 Jesus does that work? The chocolate and fizzy drink?
Well I had a fizzy drink just in case and he wasn’t very active 🤣 but who knows 🤣🤣

Reactions: 1
We had the scan and I can't believe how baby-like he looks, which I know must sound silly! I can't believe I was undecided about whether to book one or not, I'm so glad we did.
He honestly looks ready to come out, but I've still got another 11 weeks! He's got cheeks for days and the most gorgeous full lips. I think I need to back off the pringles/niknaks/wheat crunchies because his cheeks are a real give away! 🤣🙄🤦🏼‍♀️🐷
I am so glad you went they are insane aren’t they like she was trying to lick the camera and no it’s not stupid because I think the exact same thing like wow they look like a baby compared to when you look at 20 weeks honestly my mind is still blown x

36+1 today abd last things we need are arriving thanks to amazon tomorrow, I can finally relax now.
Hospital bag fully packed with everything.
Ready for baby boy 💙
If you have any good lists for things to buy or hospital bag lists basically I need lists because I have no idea haha so exciting ☺🥰

Reactions: 4
I am so glad you went they are insane aren’t they like she was trying to lick the camera and no it’s not stupid because I think the exact same thing like wow they look like a baby compared to when you look at 20 weeks honestly my mind is still blown x

If you have any good lists for things to buy or hospital bag lists basically I need lists because I have no idea haha so exciting ☺🥰
Well one thing I did was I got packing bags/cubes that you get on amazon - normally they get used when you go on holiday - and separated everything in those bags and put them in an order so if I need something I can say ti my partner can you get me this from the baby bag or from my birth recovery bag, etc.
I have one bag for life and one large tote bag with stuff.
The bag for life has my "i will want/need these" straight away in hospital or straight after birth
- a nightie, bottoms, robe and slippers
- "Post birth recovery" which includes paper pants, maternity pads, big pants, breast pads, a comfy bra and a peri bottle
- "baby bag" this has 3 sleepsuits with 3 plain white vests and 3 hats, 3 muslin cloths, 10 nappies, baby wipes, a mini sudocream, blanket and an SMA formula starter park
-toilteries (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, heat protect spray, make up remover, moisturiser, cotton pads, hair towel turban, hair bobbles, dry shampoo, deodorant, vaseline, toothbrushes for me and my partner, toothpaste, hairbrush and contact lenses)
- a towel (hospital will give you one but midwife told me they're always tiny)
-maternity notes
-a handheld fan (I got a great rechargeable one from b and m for £6)

Then in my tote bag I have things i may want later on and just in case items
-change of pjs
-going Home outfit
-change of clothes for partner
- snacks (jaffa cakes, nuts, Starbursts, haribo)
-a cup and straw (gotta keep hydrated and straw means you're not lifting a drink to your mouth throughout labour and can just lob a straw in)
-a mini bottle of squash
-a small make up bag with day to day make up i.e. foundation, powder, blush, mascara and lipstick

And finally on top of the bags, for when I got into labour is a list of "last minute throw ins" to take to the hospital, which includes:
-maternity pillow
-phone chargers
-vape batteries for my partner
- extension cable

I may have overpacked slightly, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need/want it and not have it

• Heart
Reactions: 11
We had 3 bags when we had my son; one for husband which had the chargers, snacks and change in, sons bag which was nappies, wipes, blanket, hat, clothes and my bag which had my toiletries and clothes in. I took lip balm with me as oxygen/gas and air dries out your lips, and I took my favourite shower gel so I could smell good after! Snacks wise we took lucozade sport drinks, cereal bars (fibre one as they were good!) and I’m certain we took crisps as my hospital trust don’t feed birthday partners. Husband went out and got me some sandwiches from the near by supermarket which I inhaled… all 3 packs!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.