Planets, Stars, Galaxies - The Space Thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The one good thing about it getting darker earlier (for anyone in the Northern Hemisphere at least), is more stars!

Has anyone seen anything interesting recently? I saw Mars in the early evening sky.

Here‘s a beautiful image from the Hubble telescope.

1669659209096.jpeg

More information here -

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Ive been able to see Mars when I get up each morning. Saturn and Jupiter are visible at night too!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Amazing northern lights at home last night apparently, but we're on holiday so I missed it!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
The sky is so clear where I am (freezing too but that's ok).
I'm being treated to a beautiful moon and Mars in the mornings evenings.
🎑

• Heart
A beautiful picture from the Chandra Observatory of colliding galaxies, also known as a “flaming cosmic narwhal”!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Wow, 12 moons of Jupiter found! That’s now 92 in total, and the most in the solar system! Go Jupiter!

It’s such a gorgeous an fascinating planet. Check out this pictures from NASA.

F0109080-0363-46C7-B4A2-FFD365BC7297.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I am in awe of them. I’ve seen too many space disaster movies I know my heart would give out if I tried a space walk. I’d be so afraid, ah ha
Omg yes me too!
I don’t know about you, but I love the idea of a space walk, it would be an incredible sight and experience, but I think I would panic and stop at the last minute 🤣

Reactions: 2
An exciting launch being live streamed tomorrow afternoon.

It will be amazing to learn more about Jupiter’s moons.

05268F75-310A-4F4A-BA84-A3413B4921A7.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 9
NASA have a whole archive of great quality, FREE e-books!

One year ago today we saw the first image from the James Webb Space Telescope, and today they have released another beautiful image to celebrate the anniversary.

Called Rho Ophiuchi, this area shows about 50 young stars in a cocoon of gas and dust. At 390 light-years away, it's the closest star-forming region to Earth: go.nasa.gov/3rqX8Tl

IMG_4702.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Also, we need to talk about/appreciate the Webb telescope‘s images our own solar system’s planets!

This one of Saturn for example

1689380391789.jpeg

But what stunned me was the raw images.

Sciencealert.com said

As we saw last week, when we clapped eyes on the raw JWST Saturn images, the observations involved filters that dimmed the light of the planet, while allowing light from the rings and moons to shine brightly. This is so a team led by planetary scientist Leigh Fletcher of the University of Leicester in the UK can study the rings and moons of Saturn in more detail.
Turn up the brightness on your device to really see this! This is the raw image of how it looks when they focus on the rings,

IMG_4705.jpeg

IMG_4706.jpeg

---
And this (above) is another raw image of Saturn from the JWST!

Raw image pics from here -
---
All the parts that look like stars are just “noise”. But isn’t it amazing anyway.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Great idea for a thread, thank you! I can really recommend The Universe In Your Hand by Christophe Galfard - he was a student of Stephen Hawking, but he writes in a much more easily understood way.
Just ordered that book ! Downloaded some apps. I’m going to start my space exploration journey 😊 🚀 . I got quite obsessed using the flight tracker app at the start of covid to watch planes and then also when the Ukraine war began. All quite fascinating 🤨

• Heart
Now this is something I'd love to be part of! Prof Brian Cox, live at the Opera House with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.
Sounds like an incredible night of learning spacey things and listening to music.
AB764E70-4864-40D2-8B5B-602A20CF1BEF.png

• Heart