Planets, Stars, Galaxies - The Space Thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Omg yes I loveeeee everything space related. I am obsessed with the night sky and use my phone apps to track the ISS and locate stars 😂 my husband thinks I’m bonkers but I don’t care!! I took a few photos of the night sky where I live a few weeks ago and they turned out great!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Omg yes I loveeeee everything space related. I am obsessed with the night sky and use my phone apps to track the ISS and locate stars 😂 my husband thinks I’m bonkers but I don’t care!! I took a few photos of the night sky where I live a few weeks ago and they turned out great!
Omg that picture is fantastic! I’m really missing the dark nights at the moment! 😆

Reactions: 7
Oohh parking myself here, always loved learning everything about the universe an got my first telescope at 10 lol

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I track the ISS on my phone, too, much to the amusement of my husband. I still get so excited every time I see it!
Love space - I'm afraid I don't "get" everything but it's wonderful and fascinating.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Love space - I'm afraid I don't "get" everything but it's wonderful and fascinating.
I’m the same, I try and learn what I can, but the whole subject is so vast it’s impossible to understand it all. I agree though, it’s amazing.

I really like these zoomable pictures from the Webb telescope images. There are so many pixels that when you zoom in, you actually get to see more detail!

Reactions: 9
I grew up near Jodrell Bank and we used to go all the time.

I think what I love about space is that we are looking at the past before we existed. It is crazy to think that the stars we see in our sky tonight might not exist at this present moment.

Does any one have favourite space films? 2001 obviously, Interstellar and Sunshine.

• Heart
Wow what a photo. Space fascinates me for example stars are over billion years old.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Great idea for a thread, thank you! I can really recommend The Universe In Your Hand by Christophe Galfard - he was a student of Stephen Hawking, but he writes in a much more easily understood way.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

I think what I love about space is that we are looking at the past before we existed. It is crazy to think that the stars we see in our sky tonight might not exist at this present moment.

Does any one have favourite space films? 2001 obviously, Interstellar and Sunshine.
Solaris - the Tarkovsky original and the remake were both brilliant (I had dreams about the film for weeks after seeing it the first time!)

• Heart
Reactions: 4

I really liked the Jodie Foster film Contact, it felt like quite a realistic version of how things would happen, and it makes you appreciate the work that goes into SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) projects.

Great idea for a thread, thank you! I can really recommend The Universe In Your Hand by Christophe Galfard - he was a student of Stephen Hawking, but he writes in a much more easily understood way.
Thank you for the recommendation! That book looks so good!

Reactions: 5
Time is a human construct isn’t it? So seconds and therefore everything to do with science and time and space is all dependent on arbitrary units that we have created.

Then things really start making your head hurt.

• Heart
Time is a human construct isn’t it? So seconds and therefore everything to do with science and time and space is all dependent on arbitrary units that we have created.

Then things really start making your head hurt.
Thinking of that reminds me of this Brian Cox spoof.

“When I think about just how vast the solar system is, and the whole universe, it completely just… fucks with my mind!”

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Thinking of that reminds me of this Brian Cox spoof.

“When I think about just how vast the solar system is, and the whole universe, it completely just… fucks with my mind!”

Which makes me think of Arthur C. Clarke: "Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Which makes me think of Arthur C. Clarke: "Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."
Oh wow yes! What do you think? And anyone else?

That quote has really made me realise how terrifying would be that in this infinite universe we’re the only living ones, it’s a bit spooky.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

I find space really interesting! I remember watching Space Camp as a little kid and always remembered the scene where Annie was a little kid and just looking up at the stars!

I wanted to be an astronaut when I seen that film 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 3