Piers Morgan

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bit off topic - I really do think that women like Roxanne who lie (and she obviously has some sort of mental problem for her to do it multiple times in the past too) are a minority in the grand scheme of things. Of course there will always be women who falsely accuse men of all sorts but most women don't lie so I don't think she should be used as an example of 'omg its so common for women to lie so lets not believe them unless they have video evidence of them being assaulted'. Nearly all women have had an inappropriate encounter with a man. Ask your friends who are of an ethnic minority if they've ever experienced racism and I'm sure the answer will be yes. Its just an everyday occurance unfortunately and its not inherently a bad thing to believe 'lived experience'. If you're taking something to court then there would need to be a substantial amount of evidence to prosecute of course. And even when people are ready to believe women, its usually followed up with 'ooh well were you wearing a low cut top or a short skirt?' There is some sort of anxiety that the majority of allegations are false when its quite the opposite - only around 4%. Thank duck there were cameras because it would've been so awful for Ryan to lose his career over a lie and I'm not saying he doesn't matter or that Roxanne isn't disgusting but false allegations like that really aren't as common as we believe. I'm glad that she's lost her career over this of course.
Who are you to say they were 'false allegations'? Roxanne was a very public example of how 'lived experience ' transfers to 'my truth' and can be totally wrong. It was only because it was caught on camera for all to witness that people saw it was false. If there were no camera's would you be so sure people would not have believed her? As far as Roxanne was concerned, at that moment in time it was the truth and she was very convincing.

It may not be common but who is to say someone like Meghan Markle isn't doing exactly the same thing? She's taken something that happened within the RF and it's got totally scrambled in her head. Piers Morgan was asking for clarification and further evidence. That cannot be wrong.

To take someone at total face value on something so serious is irresponsible. People lie and people perceive things wrong.

Reactions: 19
Who are you to say they were 'false allegations'? Roxanne was a very public example of how 'lived experience ' transfers to 'my truth' and can be totally wrong. It was only because it was caught on camera for all to witness that people saw it was false. If there were no camera's would you be so sure people would not have believed her? As far as Roxanne was concerned, at that moment in time it was the truth and she was very convincing.

It may not be common but who is to say someone like Meghan Markle isn't doing exactly the same thing? She's taken something that happened within the RF and it's got totally scrambled in her head. Piers Morgan was asking for clarification and further evidence. That cannot be wrong.

To take someone at total face value on something so serious is irresponsible. People lie and people perceive things wrong.
That’s what I’m saying. They were false allegations in Roxanne’s case and people would’ve believed her if the cameras weren’t there to expose her. I don’t believe she thought he hurt her and ‘got it wrong’, I believe she’s a pathological liar who knew very well he barely touched her and tried to ruin his life. It would’ve been absolutely awful for Ryan but the only person at fault would’ve been Roxanne, not the people who chose to believe her. Of course some men have their lives absolutely ruined by false accusations and my heart goes out to them but it is far more common for a woman to have her life ruined by the event actually happening. I don’t feel ashamed for my first instinct being to believe a woman. Because statistically women don’t lie about assault. One of the main reasons women don’t speak out is because they’re scared of being accused of lying. So while there isn’t always physical evidence of it happening, it is highly more likely that it did happen than not. It’s also important to note that a lot of men go off scot free due to a lack of evidence.
I hope her ex-colleagues would’ve come out of the woodworks to expose her vile behaviour behind the scenes in the past though regardless. She pulled the same trick one too many times and it all came crumbling down. If Ryan has 0 history of any behaviour like that ever and she has her countless accusations and bullying claims etc, I hope Ryan would’ve had a good defence against her lies. Because it seems she’d made accusations like that before about ex-colleagues hurting her and other pathological lies, I think she’d be ‘the girl who cried wolf’ if anything legitimately did happen to her in the future.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I find it confusing that this thread is supposed to be about Piers Morgan but has turned into another critique of Meghan Markle. Surely there's already a thread for this somewhere?

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I find it confusing that this thread is supposed to be about Piers Morgan but has turned into another critique of Meghan Markle. Surely there's already a thread for this somewhere?
It's not a critique of MM but it's because of her and Harry that we are discussing Piers Morgan. Piers Morgan said he did not believe what Meghan said. He had to resign from his job because of that. We are discussing how actual events and perceived events can get blurred.

Reactions: 10
Is there a "Meghan Markle is a Horrible Tosser" thread?
Don't pretend you don't know! ;)

It's not a critique of MM but it's because of her and Harry that we are discussing Piers Morgan. Piers Morgan said he did not believe what Meghan said. He had to resign from his job because of that. We are discussing how actual events and perceived events can get blurred.
It wasn't until this week when someone used it as an opportunity to have a rant about MM (post #508).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Right so back to Piers, did he actually hack phones? I’m not sure what year this was meant to have happened in but I was either very young or not alive. Either way, I wasn’t actively reading or watching the news when the scandal arose. I see people using it as their main reason for hating him but I also see people deny that it ever happened. What actually went down?

Reactions: 2
Right so back to Piers, did he actually hack phones? I’m not sure what year this was meant to have happened in but I was either very young or not alive. Either way, I wasn’t actively reading or watching the news when the scandal arose. I see people using it as their main reason for hating him but I also see people deny that it ever happened. What actually went down?
Millie Dowler died in 2002 and the Leveson Enquiry was held in 2010-2012.

Apparently Piers knew about phone hacking: https://bylinetimes.com/2020/01/21/piers-morgan-and-phone-hacking-what-even-he-cant-deny/

• Sad
No he didn't. More specifically he did not hack Millie Dowler's phone.

He was at the Mirror Group when it happened and it was News International and The News of The World that were behind it. It is an accusation that gets thrown at hm all day everyday on social media.

One of the reasons for the enquiry was because it was so widespread within the news agencies at the time. It was common practise. I don't think any of them came away unscathed.

Piers I think said he heard the Miller Dowler tapes but that particular one was not down to his paper.

It's all a bit grey. Phone hacking was rife in the industry at the time and The Mirror Group were involved. Did Piers know phone hacking was going on? Yes. Did he do anything personally? No. Did he authorise others to do it? Who knows.

Reactions: 7
No he didn't. More specifically he did not hack Millie Dowler's phone.

He was at the Mirror Group when it happened and it was News International and The News of The World that were behind it. It is an accusation that gets thrown at hm all day everyday on social media.

One of the reasons for the enquiry was because it was so widespread within the news agencies at the time. It was common practise. I don't think any of them came away unscathed.

Piers I think said he heard the Miller Dowler tapes but that particular one was not down to his paper.

It's all a bit grey. Phone hacking was rife in the industry at the time and The Mirror Group were involved. Did Piers know phone hacking was going on? Yes. Did he do anything personally? No. Did he authorise others to do it? Who knows.
I'd agree with that summary. However he did know that the photographs published in The Daily Mirror while he was editor purporting to show British soldiers abusing an Iraqi were fake, he denied that they were fake and when it was proven that they were refused to apologise for printing them leading to him being sacked. As far as I know he's continued to refuse to apologise.

I think many accusations are about his deliberate lack of action to put a stop to the practice of phone hacking. That deliberate omission (if true), in other areas of life have been considered as being complicit. The "Wintercomfort Case" which examined the dealing of heroin on the premises of a homelessness project. It was found that staff knew that drug dealing was taking place on the premises along with drug use, but chose not to inform the police. The people in charge of the project were convicted of allowing drug dealing to take place complicitly through failing to act on something they had the power to stop. The two workers who were convicted, were initially given much harsher sentences than the actual dealers.

Last edited:
So if he was actively involved in phone hacking he's a bad man (rightly so) and if he knew others were hacking and did not report them he's a bad man? He can't win.

I've been thinking about his exit and I can't decide if he had a genuine meltdown on the set or if he wanted to go out in a blaze of publicity to maybe boost his career? I'm 60/40 at the moment.

Reactions: 1
So if he was actively involved in phone hacking he's a bad man (rightly so) and if he knew others were hacking and did not report them he's a bad man? He can't win.

I've been thinking about his exit and I can't decide if he had a genuine meltdown on the set or if he wanted to go out in a blaze of publicity to maybe boost his career? I'm 60/40 at the moment.
1. Those aren’t the only 2 outcomes though. He could’ve reported what was going on, therefore not being the ‘bad man’ in it all. He can’t win in the two scenarios you listed because they’re both poor choices but he could’ve done something about it, he just chose not to.

2. I think it’s really hypocritical of him to spend hours criticising Meghan for leaving a situation she was uncomfortable in (and he was doing this before the Oprah interview, before she’d even had her say on the ongoings so he can’t say he was so harsh because she was ‘lying’ because she hadn’t even opened her mouth yet), yet a couple of minutes of the same sort of interrogation from Alex and he’s off like the clappers. His entire initial opinion of Meghan was based off a personal incident in which she met him no more than twice and didn’t reply to his text. I think I’d rather he did it to boost his career because it just makes him an absolute hypocrite if he was genuinely triggered.

I'd agree with that summary. However he did know that the photographs published in The Daily Mirror while he was editor purporting to show British soldiers abusing an Iraqi were fake, he denied that they were fake and when it was proven that they were refused to apologise for printing them leading to him being sacked. As far as I know he's continued to refuse to apologise.
The fake pictures are an interesting one. He has never apologised because he has always believed there was some truth to them. Here is an interesting explanation of why he hasn't apologised.

His brother is a Lieutenant Colonel in the army and Piers is immensely proud of him. His brother was in Basra as the time.

Reactions: 2
He'll never apologise because an apology = an admission to doing something wrong and Piers can never be wrong 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
1. Those aren’t the only 2 outcomes though. He could’ve reported what was going on, therefore not being the ‘bad man’ in it all. He can’t win in the two scenarios you listed because they’re both poor choices but he could’ve done something about it, he just chose not to.

2. I think it’s really hypocritical of him to spend hours criticising Meghan for leaving a situation she was uncomfortable in (and he was doing this before the Oprah interview, before she’d even had her say on the ongoings so he can’t say he was so harsh because she was ‘lying’ because she hadn’t even opened her mouth yet), yet a couple of minutes of the same sort of interrogation from Alex and he’s off like the clappers. His entire initial opinion of Meghan was based off a personal incident in which she met him no more than twice and didn’t reply to his text. I think I’d rather he did it to boost his career because it just makes him an absolute hypocrite if he was genuinely triggered.
People describe Morgan as a 'marmite' person, love him or hate him and I think thats fast becoming the case with the Markles who've shot themselves in the foot with that interview pushing them even further down the opinion poles. Personally I think the British press should just report on them when they do something worth reporting as they do with William and Kate when their 'good deeds' are reported. They've been gone a year and they've not actually done much other than tell us what they want to do so just get on with it then.

I'd think by now if there was any evidence of his actual involvement in phone hacking he'd have been charged. In my opinion he needs to put the Markles on the back burner and get back to confronting politicians which is something he does better than most. Love or loath him we need him back making politico's squirm if nothing else.

• Sick
People describe Morgan as a 'marmite' person, love him or hate him and I think thats fast becoming the case with the Markles who've shot themselves in the foot with that interview pushing them even further down the opinion poles. Personally I think the British press should just report on them when they do something worth reporting as they do with William and Kate when their 'good deeds' are reported. They've been gone a year and they've not actually done much other than tell us what they want to do so just get on with it then.

I'd think by now if there was any evidence of his actual involvement in phone hacking he'd have been charged. In my opinion he needs to put the Markles on the back burner and get back to confronting politicians which is something he does better than most. Love or loath him we need him back making politico's squirm if nothing else.
I think when he first joined GMB, he was genuinely calling out ridiculousness in the world (and of course that is subjective) and he was still brash and interruptive but a more toned down version. He was still unlikeable to those who hated him to begin with but to those neutral, he was stomachable. I think its quite obvious that I am pretty left wing and even I found myself agreeing with him at times (I know he claims to be liberal, debatable😅) In the past year or so, he's gone from that to thinking he owns the show, shutting down literally anyone he disagrees with and branding everything as 'woke' as an excuse for him to not question his views. He thought he was the sole reason anybody tuned in to the show, which I think is quite insulting to his colleagues, and as we have found out, the viewing figures and stocks have recovered from the initial drop. Opinions of Piers aside, looking at the situation, I think the way he essentially led a hate campaign against someone based on a personal experience he had with her is really unprofessional. It really clouds the journalism and I think whether people love or loathe Meghan, I find it hard to see why that wouldn't have a big affect on your mental health.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.