Phillip Schofield #15 Skating on very thin ice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I see Phil went to Ant’s wedding with his, how do you describe her, wife, ex wife, partner, friend?
I came on here after that debacle of a coming out interview on This Morning, at the time I was hopeful more would come out about Phil but it seems to have gone quiet.
Does anybody keep in touch with the young lad who was a runner on his show?

Reactions: 9
AKA Lavender marriage. It was fine so long as his dirty little secrets remained hidden.

No! A beard is a pretendy partner to fool the world into thinking you're hetero and not gay. I had to look up "merkin!" 😁 🤣

Merkin - Wikipedia
Sorry I was being 'funny' as pretend beard and pretend fanny beard I’ll get me coat 🧥

• Haha
Reactions: 5
AKA Lavender marriage. It was fine so long as his dirty little secrets remained hidden.

No! A beard is a pretendy partner to fool the world into thinking you're hetero and not gay. I had to look up "merkin!" 😁 🤣

Merkin - Wikipedia

Is a Lavender marriage when both spouses are gay and are pretending not to be so they marry a gay person of the opposite sex to make it look like they are both heterosexuals?

Reactions: 2
Is a Lavender marriage when both spouses are gay and are pretending not to be so they marry a gay person of the opposite sex to make it look like they are both heterosexuals?
Yes, more or less. It can be where only one party is gay though. Beard / Merkin are the non-married versions, basically.

The much rarer situation is the reverse beard, where someone pretends to have a same sex partner for career reasons (in a way that goes beyond just queerbaiting). The famous example is probably t.A.T.u, although that was hardly the only thing going on there. There was also a musical theatre actor who did it, iirc.

Reactions: 3
Yes indeed it is but as has been mentioned maybe only one of the couple is gay. I know it’s a term that has been used since the 1920s especially in Hollywood.

I googled Lavender marriage and up popped photos of Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Taylor, Rock Hudson and Phyllis Gates and Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester. Some of those people were confirmed to be gay but others I’m not sure, maybe bi sexual, but even then that would still be a lavender marriage.

I just don’t understand in today’s day and age why such marriages would be be necessary?

Yes indeed it is but as has been mentioned maybe only one of the couple is gay. I know it’s a term that has been used since the 1920s especially in Hollywood.

I googled Lavender marriage and up popped photos of Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Taylor, Rock Hudson and Phyllis Gates and Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester. Some of those people were confirmed to be gay but others I’m not sure, maybe bi sexual, but even then that would still be a lavender marriage.

I just don’t understand in today’s day and age why such marriages would be be necessary?
Hudson and Laughton were definitely gay and Stanwyck was almost certainly bi. Not sure about Taylor or the other wives.

As to why it still happens, in Hollywood its because some casting directors are stuck in the past and don't buy that a gay actor can play a straight romantic lead.

And of course some people just don't want to come out for their own reasons.

Reactions: 8
Hudson and Laughton were definitely gay and Stanwyck was almost certainly bi. Not sure about Taylor or the other wives.

As to why it still happens, in Hollywood its because some casting directors are stuck in the past and don't buy that a gay actor can play a straight romantic lead.

And of course some people just don't want to come out for their own reasons.
Its to do with box office too.
Hollywood thinks movie stars are often fantasised about by fans. There is a deep subconscious idea that they could meet the star and have a relationship with them.
The word fan comes from fanatic and there are some people who deep down think that way - ie, the fan is sexually attracted to the actor/actress (or musician) and will stop paying to see their movie/concert if the star is of a different sexual persuasion.

Crazy I know, but some people think that way

Reactions: 8
Its to do with box office too.
Hollywood thinks movie stars are often fantasised about by fans. There is a deep subconscious idea that they could meet the star and have a relationship with them.
The word fan comes from fanatic and there are some people who deep down think that way - ie, the fan is sexually attracted to the actor/actress (or musician) and will stop paying to see their movie/concert if the star is of a different sexual persuasion.

Crazy I know, but some people think that way
What those people don't realise is that people's fantasies bear zero resemblance to reality anyway, so it wouldn't matter. And this is ignoring that m/m fanfic is very popular, and it isn't being written by men (for the most part).

An ex beard is just the puby shavings that end up in the bathroom sink!
Wonder what the term for that is because that's what his ex wife is!

I also came over to Tattle for the Pippy gossip but it has all gone quiet hasn't it?

I also came over to Tattle for the Pippy gossip but it has all gone quiet hasn't it?
Hah - thats how I found Tattle too!
Came here when Digital Spy was deleting posts and closing threads.
A Phillip Schofield thread led me here last year.
I have never gone back there even though there were a few threads I'd been posting in for years.

Reactions: 4
Hah - thats how I found Tattle too!
Came here when Digital Spy was deleting posts and closing threads.
A Phillip Schofield thread led me here last year.
I have never gone back there even though there were a few threads I'd been posting in for years.
Yeah, I didn't go back for ages after that but I took a little look a few months ago (I think it was, could have been longer ago) but the general chatter section had disappeared.

People do sometimes say that coming out in the manner Schofield did is shaving a beard.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.