Pete Doherty

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think a wee bit of it is the 'tortured poetic genius' thing for some folk for Pete although tbf, in the early days, although he wasn't my cup of tea, he did have a kind of almost boyish charm. Hard to articulate. Carl was attractive though (although because I'm contrary, John was my favourite 🤣).

I suppose similar could apply to Brett Anderson, who always looked like he ponged, but was a hit with female fans.
We liked to call Brett the thinking girls indie crumpet 😅

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
She was a critical success with Frank, not a commercial one. The highest any of her Frank singles got to was No.57 - this is how the album chart placings went pre Back To Black. Even Stevie Wonder can see that it wasn't "a massive success for a 1st album".

View attachment 2580418
---
When you're missing a lot of your European tour dates owing to still being out of your head or massively hungover and your support slot has to cover for you and do a longer set, then you have issues, which is what went on regularly in the Frank era.

Your "altered states of consciousness and music" point is odd - nobody's being sanctimonious here having a go at any act for being off their heads, I'd much rather see an act that's unpredictable on stage owing to this than some dull sanitised performer.

Even Venuslurker concedes that Amy and Pete got extra publicity from how they were. I remember seeing Amy in Camden about 6 months before "Rehab" came out - I was shocked at how skeletal she was, in comparison to how she'd normally look when I'd see her out and about. Later that week, a photo of her was in the papers. I'm sure 19 Management would have done a deal for the photo to not be run.
singers and bands get extra publicity for all sorts of reasons, but it won't get you success if your music is tit.

Reactions: 3
Am I the only who has never been able to understand why so many people think that Pete was attractive and charming? Same for Carl.

I always preferred boys in bands/alternative scenes but Pete has always looked like a pallid, dirty, sweaty baby to me. Carl has always been Mr Average to me too. I genuinely don’t get it 🤷🏻‍♀️

This isn’t a criticism of anyone’s taste - it’s ok to like different things - but I find it completely mystifying when people comment here about them being heartthrobs.
Don’t think I’ve ever really fancied Pete. But I think Carl was hot AF. But agree with the poster who said that John was the best looking. He and Gary actually look like men who you’d happily have a relationship with .

Reactions: 4
I used to have pictures of Pete all over my school books at literally 14 years old and unfortunately my ‘I can fix him’ attitude to men has stuck 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
There is a scene in the Loiuis Theroux Doc where Louis ttryd to pacify Pete’s baby daughter. As Pete picks her up and hands her over to Louis, he looked like he had never picked a baby up before. I would like to think that isn’t actually the case.

Reactions: 10
There is a scene in the Loiuis Theroux Doc where Louis ttryd to pacify Pete’s baby daughter. As Pete picks her up and hands her over to Louis, he looked like he had never picked a baby up before. I would like to think that isn’t actually the case.
I’m sure he does basically duck all. It was telling when Louis asked how he was finding it, and Pete just said that his wife was doing an amazing job. Not to mention the comment about technically having two other kids, which came across as really cold.

Reminded me of when Russell Brand said he left the nappy changing/drudge work of baby care to his wife, because she was just better at it 🙄

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 21
I’ve mentioned on here before, If you watch the documentary ‘stalking Pete Doherty’, you can see how easily the night would’ve turned messy and how Blanco could have ended up over the balcony. it’s online but hard to find.
I don’t know if the doco maker removed it or if Pete’s people ddid but it shows his crew in a terrible light.

People in active addiction often behave very differently to how they would if they weren’t using those substances or mixing in those circles.
I think maybe some of the people involved in these scenarios are wracked with terrible guilt about the people who died within that circle (because it wasn’t just Blanco who died) and I think others really couldn’t care less as long as they’re never left without drugs.

I think definitely the addictive behaviour hasn’t gone away for Pete, and to an extent, his wife possibly enables him somewhat so that he can focus on his music and writing, and I feel she is treading on eggshells a bit with regard to balancing his job and responsibilities at home , possibly awed by his being an artist and terrified of a relapse into his old lifestyle. Clearly he is not clean in the true sense of sobriety.

Very sad if his health really is screwed.
I like him and his music and have a lot of background with addiction and substance issues personally and with loved ones so am maybe more forgiving than some but he and his music and bands are extremely popular just not massively mainstream so the poster upthread doesn’t see how much people have loved and identified with them.
Also a huge nostalgia thing will happen when he goes, music and mood of that era was unique.
So many of their songs are iconic and people know them without necessarily knowing who the artist is.

Paul Ro is still actively selling anything he possibly can linked to Peter and to Peter Wolfe and is writing reams online about his experiences with PD, trying desperately to keep his link to them alive and not lose sight of the money.
Pete and libertines have some really hardcore fans who were really involved with his life, women and drug hangers on, he had no boundaries and places like Paul’s were open house for anyone who wanted to fly a bit close to the flame of drugs and fame.
There was an abundance of beautiful young women too so plenty of opportunity for predatory men a well as dealers etc.
I think Pete did some bad things, had bad friends, wants desperately to have a normal life but has a wild streak which has never gone away.
I also think he’s neurodivergent but that’s another story 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Oh, interesting. I had an epiphany a few years back and am now convinced that Richey Edwards from the Manics was autistic. He wasn’t too dissimilar to Pete in a lot of ways, but his self destructive behaviours were more centred around alcohol, self harm and eating disorders. Looking back it seems obvious now that so much of his torment was being neurodivergent and not being able to cope with life in a band.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Oh, interesting. I had an epiphany a few years back and am now convinced that Richey Edwards from the Manics was autistic. He wasn’t too dissimilar to Pete in a lot of ways, but his self destructive behaviours were more centred around alcohol, self harm and eating disorders. Looking back it seems obvious now that so much of his torment was being neurodivergent and not being able to cope with life in a band.
Huh, interesting. Do you remember when Craig Nicholls from The Vines was diagnosed with autism in the early noughties? It was the first time I'd heard of an adult getting a diagnosis.

Reactions: 7
Huh, interesting. Do you remember when Craig Nicholls from The Vines was diagnosed with autism in the early noughties? It was the first time I'd heard of an adult getting a diagnosis.
I do remember that. It’s amazing how little was understood about autism in adults / undiagnosed autism back then, even thought we’re only talking about 20-odd years ago.

It‘s mind blowing how many autistic kids missed being diagnosed in the 80s and 90s (and the decades before that tbh) simply because they were verbal and average or above average academically. We’ve come a long way since then but there are still so many kids flying under the radar.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I do remember that. It’s amazing how little was understood about autism in adults / undiagnosed autism back then, even thought we’re only talking about 20-odd years ago.

It‘s mind blowing how many autistic kids missed being diagnosed in the 80s and 90s (and the decades before that tbh) simply because they were verbal and average or above average academically. We’ve come a long way since then but there are still so many kids flying under the radar.
Yes, yes. Yes and yes 🙌🏼
---
Very sad how many people, adults and kids struggle with living in a predominantly ableist world.
The mayhem of the music industry can help mask and keep people flying under the radar but also leaves people very vulnerable and not supported properly.

Reactions: 8
My partner and I said exactly that whilst watching the Louis documentary. Pete’s son Astile is also autistic. He has his own YouTube channel too if anyone has ever seen it.

Reactions: 6
My partner and I said exactly that whilst watching the Louis documentary. Pete’s son Astile is also autistic. He has his own YouTube channel too if anyone has ever seen it.
I didn’t know this about Astile but I’m sure I saw his mum mention she might have adhd (could be my fevered imagination!)
I really felt for astile and his other child watching that prog with the new baby but as we’ve established here, I’m sure he’s still not providing the idyllic dream father scenario.
Sad all round really, I hope Pete’s kids are happy despite their dads inability to provide stability from his end

Reactions: 5
I didn’t know that. Well it’s so often the case that parents don’t even realise they’re ND until their kids get diagnosed. I didn’t 🤪 Whenever I meet the parents of neurodivergent kids I always try to suss out which one of them passed the genes on… whether they know it themselves or not. Sometimes it’s obviously both!

Come to think of it, I’ve always found Pete’s speech patterns to be a bit odd. I assumed it’s because he’s almost always off his face but maybe it isn’t that? Unusual prosody is an autistic trait…

I didn’t know this about Astile but I’m sure I saw his mum mention she might have adhd (could be my fevered imagination!)
I really felt for astile and his other child watching that prog with the new baby but as we’ve established here, I’m sure he’s still not providing the idyllic dream father scenario.
Sad all round really, I hope Pete’s kids are happy despite their dads inability to provide stability from his end
You know what, I’m so glad that at least he has his mum: Lisa Moorish, to be there for him through his childhood. People slag her off: but she’s the one who does all the heavy lifting of parenthood

• Heart