Peaches Geldof

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Such an interesting thread but also incredibly sad. I'm not sure why I feel so sad about someone who I never knew but there you have it, her death was so shocking and I've often thought about her. She was absolutely beautiful too, her wedding pictures are just something else.
Not getting pregnant whilst breast feeding was definitely a notion put out there by someone but not supported by midwives, I was constantly reminded that it wasn't the case by both them and the health visitors. Maybe it was an old wives tale or something.
I was looking at Paula's wedding dress earlier, I'd forgotten it was red and that David Bowie must have had a role.
Thanks for the thread.
I went to quite a traditional Catholic secondary convent school. Our sex education was basically ' Dont do it until you're married' and then use the rhythm method if you dont want 10 children. On the upside, I know quite a lot about my cycle. I think part of that is breastfeeding as contraception as its 'natural family planning'.

Reactions: 9
I went to quite a traditional Catholic secondary convent school. Our sex education was basically ' Dont do it until you're married' and then use the rhythm method if you dont want 10 children. On the upside, I know quite a lot about my cycle. I think part of that is breastfeeding as contraception as its 'natural family planning'.
My very Catholic granny tried this and breastfed one until he was nearly three. She had 13 kids if that's any indicator as to how reliable it is!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Lol this could be where I've heard this 😂 I'm also a convent school girl. I was taught about the benefits of breast feeding in home economics and our sex education was delivered in hushed tones, the word "intercourse" was mouthed.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I was so sad about peaches. I knew who she was for years but hadn't been a big fan or anything but I loved her Instagram and liked her after following her. I'm never one for being interested in other people's kids and home life but the boys and all her animals were adorable and I really thought she was a great mum, I was so so shocked when I heard she had died. I even remember seeing the post the night before with her mum. So the next day I was gobsmacked and felt so sad.
I'm sure her Instagram went down pretty quickly, but her twitter stayed up.
I had thought she was secretly getting help and on methadone again but her husband didn't know so it was all a secret. I guess we won't ever know how long she had been using herion again. Its awful how that poor baby was left for hours alone, just like her mum and sister. As much as its awful what she did, I'm sure she would be devestated if she knew that her baby would be left like that, and I really do think she loved those boys very very much, it's sad her addiction beat her.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Lol this could be where I've heard this 😂 I'm also a convent school girl. I was taught about the benefits of breast feeding in home economics and our sex education was delivered in hushed tones, the word "intercourse" was mouthed.
Convent school girl here too. We had no sex education apart from being told that men and women ‘fit together like pieces of a jigsaw’.

I remember seeing her on tv not long before she died and she was getting quite snippy with people who criticised her attachment parenting. I was struck by how much weight she’d lost. She seemed really switched on so news of her death was so shocking and sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I remember pictures with her first husband, they were obviously on something, she was quite curvy in those photos. Next time I saw her I was shocked how thin she was. Really liked her, although she didn’t come across well in the Fearne Cotton interview, I did wonder why she was like that. Was very sad when I heard she’d died. She always reminded me so much of Paula, who I though was great!

Reactions: 12
He's from quite an intellectual, middle class Jewish family. I imagine his parents are very hands on. I think they live in Lewisham, I've been on the same train as Thomas and he got on at that stop. Peaches was in £400,000 debt when she died so I presume her dad picked up the tab, and I think she had a substantial trust fund as well. I think Bob will help out financially.
duck me, £400k? No wonder she was on heroin

Most women would grab anything you offered contraception wise at the first post-natal visit quite understandably!!

In all seriousness, Peaches would have been under the care of the drugs and alcohol midwife so I'm surprised she had two babies a year apart - it would not have been advisable and would have given her local team a big headache (for obvious reasons.......... how things turned out, no professional wants that on their record).
Would there have been an internal review into it?

duck me, £400k? No wonder she was on heroin

Would there have been an internal review into it?
She *may* have been discharged by her midwife but as she appeared to be on a methadone programme, a health visitor and social worker would have been on speed dial and I would venture the kids were on an at risk register. Trust me when I say this is the least glamorous and most depressing part of public health. The life she was projecting was a total lie and she got away with a lot that your heroin addicted mum on a sink estate would never........ Regardless, the multi-disciplinary team that she was under would have had a huge review. For context, I have been to these crisis meetings before and there are often up to twenty professionals involved that have to attend. They will all been breathing a sigh of relief that nothing happened to that baby because the sh*t would really have hit the fan for everyone. I'm surprised she was allowed to be alone with them tbh.

I was very, very vaguely going to the same sort of places as she did back in the day (I'm a lot older though) so have a few uninteresting stories that I'll share later (I'm meant to be working hahaha).

• Angry
Reactions: 34
She *may* have been discharged by her midwife but as she appeared to be on a methadone programme, a health visitor and social worker would have been on speed dial and I would venture the kids were on an at risk register. Trust me when I say this is the least glamorous and most depressing part of public health. The life she was projecting was a total lie and she got away with a lot that your heroin addicted mum on a sink estate would never........ Regardless, the multi-disciplinary team that she was under would have had a huge review. For context, I have been to these crisis meetings before and there are often up to twenty professionals involved that have to attend. They will all been breathing a sigh of relief that nothing happened to that baby because the sh*t would really have hit the fan for everyone. I'm surprised she was allowed to be alone with them tbh.

I was very, very vaguely going to the same sort of places as she did back in the day (I'm a lot older though) so have a few uninteresting stories that I'll share later (I'm meant to be working hahaha).
Surely the fact that her father-in-law brought back the youngest child was completely against the rules then?

Reactions: 4
Surely the fact that her father-in-law brought back the youngest child was completely against the rules then?
This is why I find it nuts that they left it 18 hours after last contact with her to get back to the house, I get that she was hiding her addition but they knew that she was struggling (rehab in Utah year before), Tom said that he wasn't surprised and Bob said he was half expecting it. All this doesn't matter and it's not their fault that she died but I just find it mad that a) they sent the youngest child back b) they took so long to get to her the next day.

Reactions: 27
Well it's impossible to know the ins and outs of the specific case. She may have been doing well and they were giving her more privileges but remember that addicts are extremely manipulative. While I don't think the family were very wise I also don't think they can be blamed. Nobody really knows what was going on except the family.

Reactions: 14
Doesn't it just show you how insidious that drug is, she clearly loved her children but the husband is quoted as saying "the children were not enough, she had to do it"
I don't know how she ever took it after what happened to her mum, I remember someone said she may have done so to experience what Paula did.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Doesn't it just show you how insidious that drug is, she clearly loved her children but the husband is quoted as saying "the children were not enough, she had to do it"
I don't know how she ever took it after what happened to her mum, I remember someone said she may have done so to experience what Paula did.
I’ve often thought this myself, maybe she was trying to emulate her mother in order to feel close to her. I do also wonder was it intentional in a way as she posted the last poignant photo. It’s so sad her babies were adorable 🥰

Unlike a lot of other drugs, heroin is not a social drug really is it. It's a very secretive habit.

Reactions: 18
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
I think concern was probably expressed by the family when the baby fell out of the pram https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...s-baby-Astala-buggy-hitting-pothole-road.html
She was on the phone & managed to continue the call whilst getting the baby up off the floor. She blamed the terrible pavements.
That level of ho hum attitude would have set alarm bells off. For me.
That could happen to anyone though, I probably would have dropped my phone in a blind panic. My kids have all had accidents and I've never taken drugs.

Reactions: 15
That could happen to anyone though, I probably would have dropped my phone in a blind panic. My kids have all had accidents and I've never taken drugs.
d
Exactly. When I was 4 years old my dad righltly or wrongly had been to the pub and had a few pints, come back and was lay on the couch reading the paper and I jumped on his stomach, bounced back and hit my head on the side table. I was bleeding profusely, my mum and dad rushed me to A&E where my dad was questioned extensively, no harm found of course but my dad has told me in later life they were asking the questions as if he had meant to cause the injury. I actually remember it happening which is weird. But the point is accidents do happen with kids, even though my dad had had a couple of pints he wasn’t exactly incapable.

Reactions: 11
Paula’s own childhood was very dysfunctional though. When you’ve not had good parental role models growing up it can be hard to know how to parent yourself.

Ive seen it said that Michael had already moved on from Paula shortly before he died and was seeing another woman. I don’t think their relationship would have lasted. But she was obsessed with him.
I do agree with you, but l had a dysfunctional family life and l have made sure l haven't passed it on to my children. It isn't a given and it's definitely not an excuse.

• Heart
Well it's impossible to know the ins and outs of the specific case. She may have been doing well and they were giving her more privileges but remember that addicts are extremely manipulative. While I don't think the family were very wise I also don't think they can be blamed. Nobody really knows what was going on except the family.
I agree with you that there would have been multi agency involvement, including SS. There could have been an agreement that the dad would remove the kids/not leave them with her if he knew she had used? So he might not have breached it?
As said before addicts are manipulative. It would’ve been very difficult to confront her on suspected use & he was in a damned if you do damned if you don’t position.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.