Peaches Geldof and the Geldof family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I loved Paula Yates. She was a year or so older than me and was such an icon. She had babies but still looked great and with such style. Sadly meeting Michael Hutchence introduced her to drugs which she had never been interested in before. Then Hughie Green being her father and the loss of Michael sent her over the brink. Poor Peaches following her story, so tragic.
I’m afraid the public persona of Paula Yates was very different to the real Paula Yates . She had intermittently used drugs since the age of 14 but was never an addict .

MH certainly didn’t introduce her to narcotics , but their usage together was phenomenal in how it escalated & ultimately ended them both.

Reactions: 21
I’m afraid the public persona of Paula Yates was very different to the real Paula Yates . She had intermittently used drugs since the age of 14 but was never an addict .

MH certainly didn’t introduce her to narcotics , but their usage together was phenomenal in how it escalated & ultimately ended them both.
Yep. The public persona was what she wanted people to believe. The private persona was, I believe, very different. She was a bad mother.

Reactions: 18
Yep. The public persona was what she wanted people to believe. The private persona was, I believe, very different. She was a bad mother.
She used to put around the persona of being teetotal, antidrugs and quite prudish. Was that all a myth from the beginning?

Reactions: 13
Paula was literally a fantasist who just flirted and flitted around in life doing what she wanted and expecting everyone else to trail along with her.

She had been chasing after Michael for many years as well. She had met him before and she very much chameleoned herself into what she thought he wanted, to try to keep him. So to Michael initially she was an alluring sexy lady but she was neurotic, paranoid, jealous and controlling and it did not mesh well with Michael who was private, brooding and hedonistic, wanting to come and go when it pleased him or his mood.

Reactions: 21
She used to put around the persona of being teetotal, antidrugs and quite prudish. Was that all a myth from the beginning?
Yes. Peaches also put out there that she was a hippy earth mother who loved attachment parenting when she was addicted to heroin and her babies spent time away from her regularly. Both were putting the persona out there they wanted to be but that doesn't mean it was really what they were doing.

Reactions: 32
Yes. Peaches also put out there that she was a hippy earth mother who loved attachment parenting when she was addicted to heroin and her babies spent time away from her regularly. Both were putting the persona out there they wanted to be but that doesn't mean it was really what they were doing.
Yes I think it's what they wanted to be seen as rather than what they were actually like. It was all fake. You can't ' attachment parent' safely if you are on drugs, or sleep with your baby in bed, as they both said they did.

Reactions: 20
Paula was always fake. She chased after Bob Geldof until she caught him, then played the part of a rockstar's wife, whilst being an earth mother, giving her children an Enid Blyton-esque childhood - all bullshit, because, as we know, they were brought up by the nanny. Paula was off partying most of the time, unless posing for photos for a glossy magazine with a flowery apron on, pretending to make cupcakes with the kids. I think she very quickly lost interest in Bob, there were lots of stories about her flirting/having affairs with various young popstars. Had she survived, she would be one of those embarrassing older ladies (Madonna I'm looking at you) with a succession of much younger boyfriends.

Reactions: 31
Paula was literally a fantasist who just flirted and flitted around in life doing what she wanted and expecting everyone else to trail along with her.

She had been chasing after Michael for many years as well. She had met him before and she very much chameleoned herself into what she thought he wanted, to try to keep him. So to Michael initially she was an alluring sexy lady but she was neurotic, paranoid, jealous and controlling and it did not mesh well with Michael who was private, brooding and hedonistic, wanting to come and go when it pleased him or his mood.
I read somewhere that at one point she was also obsessed with Take That! She went on a tour with them …does anyone else recall this? There is that Big Breakfast interview where her and Robbie are flirting outrageously … he only looks about twenty 🙈 I think she was definitely bored with Bob and chasing other men in general.

Reactions: 13
I read somewhere that at one point she was also obsessed with Take That! She went on a tour with them …does anyone else recall this? There is that Big Breakfast interview where her and Robbie are flirting outrageously … he only looks about twenty 🙈 I think she was definitely bored with Bob and chasing other men in general.
Also something with Liam Gallagher, who eventually refused her only because he was afraid of Bob.

Reactions: 9
She was obsessed with Jason Orange I remember, I used to love Paula on The Tube, I thought she was cool.

Reactions: 9
Watching 'making of Do They Know Its Christmas' on Youtube, great behind the scenes footage. Interesting seeing all the then young musicians.

The participants are touted as 'Geldof's friends', well I don't know if they all actually were his mates or just roped in as well known stars of the tine. Got me thinking, how is Geldof perceived by that group of musicians now, and is he liked or not in the industry? He's a lot harder to warm to Midge Ure, who does seem like a good guy.

Reactions: 10
Paula would've been in her mid 60s now.
Interesting to think what she might be doing. Maybe go down the wellness route with a skincare range. Appear on the Masked Singer.
She was only 41 when she died in 2000.

Reactions: 17
This thread has been really interesting. I have a couple of thoughts.

(1) people are critical of Bob’s parenting. But whilst I’m not a SW, I have worked with lots of parents trying to raise kids with additional needs. And those girls had the additional need of two traumatic events in their lives (plus the bit before where no doubt they were being told they were going to Australia but Big Bad Bob wouldn’t let them etc) and it’s deeply unfair but it’s not enough to be a good parent, you have to be on your a-game all the time. It’s exhausting. And Bob is of a generation like my own dad where you tell kids what to do and they do it. Any variant from that is too much. And god, teenagers are hard work. My own son has led a charmed life by all measurements and yet he was awful to be around from about 12 to 14. He’s come out the other side now and holds his hands up that he was pretty mean and nasty to us. But during? You’re just praying they do come out the other side.

2000 isn’t now, therapy was still not really for the everyman, ideas around psychological trauma and its effects weren’t as well-known. The sending the girls into school the next day is exactly what a lot of people did. I can remember my own grandad telling me he went into work the day after his mum died because it’s important to keep routines (and, it has to be said, it’s not the worst concept about keeping the brain busy but we have a different viewpoint nowadays about letting ourselves actually feel things)

(2) on a completely different and perhaps shallow note, it’s almost joyful to watch things from the 90s and see people looking like people. Paula in that 60mins clip has a thin top lip and a wrinkle in between her eyes and her face moves. And she’s still beautiful. I hadn’t quite realised how prevalent and just accepted it is now that a woman in her late 30s would have full lips no matter what and a completely smooth face.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
Paula was always fake. She chased after Bob Geldof until she caught him, then played the part of a rockstar's wife, whilst being an earth mother, giving her children an Enid Blyton-esque childhood - all bullshit, because, as we know, they were brought up by the nanny. Paula was off partying most of the time, unless posing for photos for a glossy magazine with a flowery apron on, pretending to make cupcakes with the kids. I think she very quickly lost interest in Bob, there were lots of stories about her flirting/having affairs with various young popstars. Had she survived, she would be one of those embarrassing older ladies (Madonna I'm looking at you) with a succession of much younger boyfriends.
I never really fell for the Earth Mother c*rap it just didn't ring true, you could tell she was hedonistic and self centred and Peaches was the daughter most like her in looks and personality I wonder if she favoured her more than Fi Fi because of that? And she gave her kids ridiculous names not caring that they might have the mickey taken out of them in later life. Don't know if this is true but she had been chasing Geldolf for quite a long time and eventually she ran after him into the back of a car and gave him a BJ there and then, that was the beginning of their relationship - how romantic!!!! I am also intrigued that she was with Rupert Everett for so long as he has been very vocal about his homosexuality for years, did he forget about his affair with a married woman for several years?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Paula would've been in her mid 60s now.
Interesting to think what she might be doing. Maybe go down the wellness route with a skincare range. Appear on the Masked Singer.
She was only 41 when she died in 2000.
I think she’d be famous for dating men younger than her daughters and competing with Madonna in the cosmetic surgery stakes.

Reactions: 16
I never really fell for the Earth Mother c*rap it just didn't ring true, you could tell she was hedonistic and self centred and Peaches was the daughter most like her in looks and personality I wonder if she favoured her more than Fi Fi because of that? And she gave her kids ridiculous names not caring that they might have the mickey taken out of them in later life. Don't know if this is true but she had been chasing Geldolf for quite a long time and eventually she ran after him into the back of a car and gave him a BJ there and then, that was the beginning of their relationship - how romantic!!!! I am also intrigued that she was with Rupert Everett for so long as he has been very vocal about his homosexuality for years, did he forget about his affair with a married woman for several years?

From what I can gather regarding Rupert Everett, I think it was almost a father/daughter dynamic in some ways, he was attracted to her vulnerability and the fact that she was so teeny tiny in stature with a minute waist. He could be bi maybe, but I think it's testament to Paula's allure and effect on men - that was her best feature and one she capitalised on all her life because she knew it got her what she wanted.

Reactions: 17
I would bet money pixie is biologically, Michael’s daughter.

as for Paula lording that over Bob, there are several reasons why she might not/could not have done that.

legally, a man has no legal claim or responsibility to a child unless he is married to the mother (yep, really) or has been specifically named on the birth certificate. In legal terms, it’s called “parental responsibility”. It can be applied for at a later date of course, but that gets complicated and I’m not sure how accessible dna tests were in the 90s.

1. So Legally, Bob is Pixies father. And it goes without saying he has raised her.
2. Assuming Paula had an affair with someone else, they aren’t named on the birth certificate so wouldn’t have been under any legal responsibility to provide for Pixie.
3. it’s possible Paula wasn’t sure herself.

Hurchence’s manager spoke about how Paula stalked him and that she’d hooked up with him long before the Big Breakfast interview. They first met in 1985 apparently.

if we look back on the time that Pixie was conceived, it would’ve been December 1989. At that time, Band Aid II was being recorded in London and Kylie Minogue participated.

Kylie had just finished her first global concert tour, which took place in October of that same year. Infamously, she met Michael Hutchence during this tour and dumped Jason Donovan pretty much straight away.

so it’s very plausible that MH could have accompanied Kylie to London (they were already making public appearances together by then, and attended a premier for The Delinquents in December 1989) in their early days of being a couple, had a hook up with Paula but ultimately chose to stay with Kylie. He certainly had form for letting relationships overlap!

Helena was supposedly the love of his life, but because of his brain injury he had started to become depressed and was prescribed Prozac for the first time in 1995 - I’ve always thought that his relationship with Helena started breaking down as a result of his injury and mental state, and he gave in to long-standing side chick Paula whilst vulnerable and probably pretty heartbroken.

for me, it’s almost certain that Hutchence fathered Pixie. The resemblance is uncanny and she’s almost identical facially (albeit her colouring is slightly different) to Tigerlily - and neither of them resemble Paula. I’m surprised not more is made of it but then I guess it’s very personal. I always assumed that’s why Paula spoke more warmly about Pixie, than she ever did about Fifi or Peaches.

it’s another sad, ironic twist in this family’s story if you ask me.

Peaches died of an overdose, like her mother.

Pixie is likely to be aware of rumours that her biological father isn’t the man who raised her - something that also devastated Paula.

it’s the name peaches used on FB
I’ve always thought Pixie was michaels! In a documentary after his death, paula slips up and says Michael wanted his ‘daughters’ to go to australia, she obviously checks herself and tries to backtrack. Pixie looks more like MH than Tiger I think.

Reactions: 12
I never really fell for the Earth Mother c*rap it just didn't ring true, you could tell she was hedonistic and self centred and Peaches was the daughter most like her in looks and personality I wonder if she favoured her more than Fi Fi because of that?
I once read an interview with Paula where she said, Peaches would look the most like her, but Pixie was most like her characterwise. Not sure about that. 😅 Maybe wishful thinking, because I can imagine Pixie‘s character being more likeable. (Only speculation though, because ofc I didn’t know any of them personally.)

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.