Peaches Geldof and the Geldof family #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I knew a 16 year old girl when I was a teenager whose Dad had taken photos for her to try and get on page 3 😳

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
I knew a 16 year old girl when I was a teenager whose Dad had taken photos for her to try and get on page 3 😳
See also Sam Fox! And Lindsey Dawn McKenzie and her step dad, late 90s on the front of the Sunday Sport at 16

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
My benchmark for “it used to be acceptable“ is Sam Fox topless on the front page of the S*n in the early 80s, aged 16.
There wasn’t widespread safeguarding concerns.
God, yes. Also the Mandy Smith/Bill Wyman debacle. She was 16, he was 50 but it seemed to have started three years earlier 😩

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Exactly. I’m sure there were many who were horrified by these young women being in these situations but it was acceptable to society in general. Nobody was calling Social Services or carrying out safeguarding or risk assessment. Nobody was calling for the men involved to be arrested or boycotted.
It doesn’t make it right, but in the past it was generally accepted and not a cause for concern.

• Sick
Reactions: 8
God, yes. Also the Mandy Smith/Bill Wyman debacle. She was 16, he was 50 but it seemed to have started three years earlier 😩
yea she was only 13 I remember that scandal well, her mother approved and ended up marrying Bills son if I’m recalling correctly.
---
I know! Even though it was 1990 and I was only 14 I was horrified. I was told by some lads who said it’s a bit weird isn’t it?
I remember when Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson had their reality show on MTV her dad was directing her in the music video for Boots are made for walking and he was instructing her to be more sexy when she was spread across the car in her Daisy dukes. 🤯

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Exactly. I’m sure there were many who were horrified by these young women being in these situations but it was acceptable to society in general. Nobody was calling Social Services or carrying out safeguarding or risk assessment. Nobody was calling for the men involved to be arrested or boycotted.
It doesn’t make it right, but in the past it was generally accepted and not a cause for concern.
It was a different time, a girl I was at school with got pregnant to a 26 yr old man when she was 14 and I don't remember anyone really kicking off about it. Her mum knew about the relationship before the pregnancy and was OK with it. I was shocked by it but stayed quiet about it in case anyone thought I wasn't cool. It's hard to believe it now, that it was accepted, when that kind of age gap sets alarms off now and rightly so

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Mandy Smith is about 5 years older than me and I was sickened by the thought of marrying someone his age. He looked like a corpse. Even in recent years we had that bleeping blobby pig Chris Moyles counting down to Charlotte Church reaching 16. I wonder if all the men that cheered him on would find that as funny if it were their daughter.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
One of my friends (female) comes from a family of huge football supporters and has a few brothers. She happens to be very very beautiful.

I’ll never forget in our late teens/early 20s.. we were discussing footballers and wags, and how badly some footballers treated their wives and how unequal the relationships were in terms of wealth etc etc

I remember her saying something to the effect of… her family (dad and brothers) would still be delighted if she hooked up with a footballer.

It didn’t strike me as creepy, more like… a reflection perhaps on how her family saw her attractiveness as a commodity to be traded in for the ultimate achievement (a footballer). They didn’t praise her intelligence or her ambitions or encouraged her hobbies. It all came down to.. you are an attractive girl and we’d offer you up to our football heroes if we could.

Being attractive is a commodity, but it’s especially so if you are female. I reckon the type of behaviour you describe is more common than we’d like to admit.

Hell, Paula based her career on commodify her attractiveness and being titillating

• Sad
Reactions: 18
She was 3 years older than me. Remember thinking it Was really weird and creepy. Teenage 80s me thought she was absolutely gorgeous.

Reactions: 9
It was a different time, a girl I was at school with got pregnant to a 26 yr old man when she was 14 and I don't remember anyone really kicking off about it. Her mum knew about the relationship before the pregnancy and was OK with it. I was shocked by it but stayed quiet about it in case anyone thought I wasn't cool. It's hard to believe it now, that it was accepted, when that kind of age gap sets alarms off now and rightly so
It was. I can recall three pre age 16 pregnancies in my school. The first was 13 and she left school and I never heard of her again. The last was a 15 year old who got pregnant by a married father of two. I remember zero fuss. Am not saying it didn't happen, I was a kid so partially oblivious, but the biggest fuss I remember was about how they were going to manage her sitting her GCSEs (was the first year of them!)

There were lots of this (and worse) going on in the 70s and 80s some of which shocks me now, but attitudes were just very different.
my friend who lived opposite was sexually abused by a neighbour in his 60s when she was 5. He was in prison for a very short period of time. He lived about 5 doors down and we were all told just don't speak to Mr X. He lived right next door to our playground. I didn't properly understand what was going on but we knew it was something dodgy. My mind boggles now, about not only how it was dealt with, but how all our parents dealt with it.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
It was. I can recall three pre age 16 pregnancies in my school. The first was 13 and she left school and I never heard of her again. The last was a 15 year old who got pregnant by a married father of two. I remember zero fuss. Am not saying it didn't happen, I was a kid so partially oblivious, but the biggest fuss I remember was about how they were going to manage her sitting her GCSEs (was the first year of them!)

There were lots of this (and worse) going on in the 70s and 80s some of which shocks me now, but attitudes were just very different.
my friend who lived opposite was sexually abused by a neighbour in his 60s when she was 5. He was in prison for a very short period of time. He lived about 5 doors down and we were all told just don't speak to Mr X. He lived right next door to our playground. I didn't properly understand what was going on but we knew it was something dodgy. My mind boggles now, about not only how it was dealt with, but how all our parents dealt with it.
a man my parents used to speak to at the pub was exposed as a child molestor, my parents never spoke to him again but lots of men who drank in that pub did continue being friendly with him. That absolutely blows my mind, I just don't know what processes your mind goes through to justify a friendship with a man who went to prison for sexually abusing a child

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.