Peaches Geldof #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Itā€™s a fascinating story of grief and generational trauma that was never resolved and was just passed on, culminating in Peachesā€™ untimely death the same way her mother went in the end. I think thatā€™s what draws people to it. Thereā€™s no doubting Paula, Michael, even Peaches were mesmerising, charismatic people. But they were so deeply damaged and their trauma played out for all the world to see - all Paula knew was chaos, she was born into it and recreated it again and again with the volatile relationships and addictions and numbing her pain with that chaos and denied her reality right until the end. Itā€™s interesting in that clip how full blown her denial is about Michaelā€™s suspected suicide, and she wouldnā€™t let her daughter believe that her father ā€œleft herā€, and then thatā€™s exactly what she would do to her daughter in the end. She never found the opportunity to grow and heal and face who she was.

And all of that happened while her own kids were so young and vulnerable - and we saw how that played out for Peaches. Grew up in chaos, abandoned by her mother, huge grief... addiction and then death.

For anyone thatā€™s done their own work and healing through therapy, itā€™s such a case study in how important your childhood environment and relationships are. And how hard it is to escape that generational trauma and repeat the pattern of your parents and ancestors without a lot of help and hard work.
Brilliant post. Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread, I think someone has talked about it, Gabor Mate' is a well known trauma expert, he has written a lot about family trauma in our DNA, means a lot to me as a parent trying really hard to break the cycle of pain from my childhood and my parents' childhood to give my kids a better more fulfilling experience! Lots of addiction and impulsive behaviour, and seeing familiar patterns start to play out in my kids too. It's intense trying to impede the trajectory!

I wondered what Tiger was up to. Thanks for sharing. I just found this quote from her about her music:

ā€œI Made This Cassette In The Living Room Of Our House In Fremantle, A Seaside Town In Western Australia. I Had Always Been Shy To Sing With Others But Moving Across The World And My Ex-Boyfriend Nick Had Given Me Some Bravery. Something About Living Closer To Nature Meant I Felt Creative And Open Hearted. It Was As If The Wide Open Landscape Of Australia Had Finally Given My Heart Enough Space To Open Properly. The Recordings Are Actually Just Recordings Of Our Rehearsals, I Never Feel Set In How Song Is Meant To Be So They Usually Just Come Out Of Me In The Moment. My Friends Playing Along With Me Are Luckily All Very Empathic Players And We Found A Way To Play With One Another Without Any Structure Or Plan. It Was Really Moving To Create With So Much Freedom And Understanding. Most Of The Songs Are About My Sister Peaches Who I Lost As A Teenager So Singing Them Aloud Felt Very Potent But My Band Always Made Me Feel Held"
Oh bless her heart, how absolutely tragic to have lost both parents and her sister in such hideous ways. I hope she is happy and feels safe and loved where she is. That last line makes me want to cry

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
ā€œTragic Tigerā€™s Sad Meltdownā€

Sheā€™s not OK, is she? How could she be? Poor kid. I hope sheā€™s at least found a peaceful life in Australia.

Reactions: 12
I feel like she should have been there all along if Iā€™m honest.
Hard to imagine where was best for that wee soul tbh. Mum, Dad and sister all dying far too young and under 'suspicious' circumstances.
I don't get the impression Bob was the best father figure. Nothing terrible, but a sort of benign neglect.
It is hard to imagine what Tiger has had to wrap her head around tbh.

• Sad
Reactions: 19
It's not really similar to Amy Winehouse tbf. Amy was off the drugs and none were found in her system. But she was drinking heavily and regularly and the last drinking binge was too much for her poor body to take šŸ˜”
Alcohol is a drug! She had underlying health conditions as well so reacted badly to vodka after a period of abstinence.

Reactions: 7
I feel like she should have been there all along if Iā€™m honest.
With who though? She didn't know her fathers family except for the odd visit when she was an infant. Her grandparents were split up, so perhaps to her aunt who she didn't know? How could you send a pre schooler to the other side of the world to live with people she didn't know?

The home life of the Geldofs probably wasn't a typical family unit but at least she knew and loved her sisters. I read posts here about how Bob wasn't a good father and I'm trying to figure out was this a rumour started by Paula Yates in the bitterness and acrimony post split or is it because of his gruff persona that people automatically presume that it follows into his parenting? I'm sure that if Tiger didn't want to be adopted by Bob when she was a child this would have been apparent. Also Paula Yates allegedly hated Michaels family after their interviews and claims post his death and didn't want Tiger anywhere near them so it may have had a bearing on her living with the Geldofs.

Reactions: 18
The Hutchence family were/are just as dysfunctional. Much of the source of Michael and his brother Rhy's pain was their mother splitting them up by leaving Rhys behind. And their behaviour after Michael's death was repulsive.

Reactions: 20
While both families seem dysfunctional, Tiger at least got to be with her sisters and it seems like their nanny was a very stable, loving figure who went above and beyond for the girls. I can't imagine either situation was ideal but on balance she was probably better off with the Geldofs. She also seems to have shunned the limelight which probably did her good in the long run.

Reactions: 21
I did think it was right that she grew up with her sisters. But with hindsight, the toxicity and trauma was probably best avoided.
I do think sending her across the world away from her sisters would have been the worst thing for her at the time. Discovering her Mum died in that way, I read at the time she was playing and thought her mother was asleep, (and also Peaches' son finding his mother) it would have caused so much psychological damage. I hope Bob made sure Tiger and his daughters received therapy. I've read a bit about Adverse Childhood Experiences and what they do to a child's brain šŸ˜”

• Sad
Reactions: 16
PY never looks truly happy in any pictures or videos, has anyone else thought this? Am I reading too much into it based on hindsight....

Reactions: 6
Sadie Frost has a successful lingerie company called FrostFrench with whoever the French person is, so sheā€™ll make money from that too.

The only reason I'm dubious about that is the embroidery on the dress. Lots of little white and red flowers. Surely they would have been dyed as well when going through the dipping process?
Only natural fibres can be dyed, not synthetic onesā€¦..so if the dress was silk, but the embroidery was done in polyester thread, only the silk would have taken the colourā€¦.hope that explains it

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Alcohol is a drug! She had underlying health conditions as well so reacted badly to vodka after a period of abstinence.
Yeah alcohol is ā€˜a drugā€™ but death by drugs and alcohol are two different things and she didnā€™t die by taking drugs. So not the same. She had been abstinent from drugs. Lots of heroin users die as when using they build up a tolerance and then thru through detox or rehab they lose their tolerance and when they start to take drugs again they use what they were used to, but their body isnā€™t. So end up overdosing. This wasnā€™t Amyā€™s case.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I highly recommend Mystify - the documentary about Michael Hutchence. There was a very strange split up in his family where his mom took him to the US and the rest (canny mind if it's just his brother), were left in Australia. So accent wise, therein might be an explanation.
Michael's Mom took just Michael to Los Angeles for about 18 months, I think he was around 10-12 years maybe. His half-sister, who was grown with her own family lived there. Rhett, his brother was left in Australia with their father, Kelland. Who apparently was hardly around, so Rhett was left with a succession of sitters and nannies until his Mom came back. Rhett was younger. He said in a interview that he was literally at the airport with them and they just left. He didn't know that their Mom had hold Michael about her plan prior, Rhett didn't find this out till after Michael passed away, and Rhett said this as a child, contributed to his drug use. I am not excusing Michael's lifestyle and behavior by any means, but it seems like he was pre-destined to have such a short, meteoric but tragic life. Such a sad cast of characters all around. I can't fully blame Paula, yet I want to find a scapegoat. Ultimately such. CF of major proportions. I hope Tiger and her sisters that remain come out stronger in the end.
I highly recommend Mystify - the documentary about Michael Hutchence. There was a very strange split up in his family where his mam took him to the US and the rest (canny mind if it's just his brother), were left in Australia. So accent wise, therein might be an explanation.
Unfortunately, Michael's Mom took just him to L.A. for about 18 months to further pursue her make-up artist career. She left her younger son Rhett with their father, Kelland in Australia. Older half-sister Tina was living in L.A. with her young family. Michael was a young teen I believe. Rhett stated he was literally at the airport when they left him there with their dad. Rhett didn't know until after Michael died that their Mother had told Michael of her plan months earlier. Rhett said he was screaming at them not to go. He was left with a succession of nannies and sitters. Supposedly one of the nannies od'd on something with him there. He spiraled into drug abuse himself at a young age. The narcissism and selfishness of some of Paula's, and Michael's family members is astounding. Little wonder of some things that happened to them. I wish Michael and Paula never met, and they had both been strong enough to get help. What a tragic end. Michael was bleeping brilliant to say the least, what a bright light, also. But totally without an off switch. I feel sorry for both of them and their children.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Sadie Frost has a successful lingerie company called FrostFrench with whoever the French person is, so sheā€™ll make money from that too.
FrostFrench went into administration with millions of pounds worth of debt, then officially went out of business in 2011.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.