Parenting Hell podcast with Rob Beckett and Josh Widdecombe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Would people actually buy the merch? I can't imagine their target audience being the kind of people who do that sort of thing. I thought that would be more reserved for youtuber fanbases but I could be wrong. Also, I don't think the merch is really targeted to their audience. I can't imagine people buying a bucket hat, a t-shirt or a pint glass? I would have thought baby grows and mugs would have been a better seller 😂
I listen to the Elis and John podcast, and as mentioned I've got a few bits and bobs of their merchandise, mainly books, mugs, magnets and a couple of prints but I've got a couple of items of clothing too (excellent quality) as the phrases on them are phrases I've adopted in my own life. I bought them because I liked them and the style. And they're good sellers - literally links go up on social media for their updated merchandise and especially the good stuff it's sold SUPER quickly.

Elis does another podcast and their merchandise goes even faster. I wonder given Rob and Josh are mates with Elis and John they've seen this and expected the same reaction?

The fact they've had to plug the merchandise like a week later already shows to me they've not had the immediate uptake they thought they would and I think the reasoning for that is exactly as you've said, they've marketed this wrong. Yeah men listen to it, but the majority will be women. I'd have been more inclined to buy something like a mug, but it all seems very "laddy" and yeah, tacky. Like they've just thrown stuff out to monetise the tour. Which isn't really the vibe I've had from them throughout (except maybe for the over pushing the book). I hope they don't go overboard on the podcast on pushing the merchandise and guilt tripping route.

They could have done a cool colouring book with various scenarios (again something Elis and John did), especially considering a) the parenting angle and b) that Rob himself does it to relax too.

Reactions: 6
I listen to the Elis and John podcast, and as mentioned I've got a few bits and bobs of their merchandise, mainly books, mugs, magnets and a couple of prints but I've got a couple of items of clothing too (excellent quality) as the phrases on them are phrases I've adopted in my own life. I bought them because I liked them and the style. And they're good sellers - literally links go up on social media for their updated merchandise and especially the good stuff it's sold SUPER quickly.

Elis does another podcast and their merchandise goes even faster. I wonder given Rob and Josh are mates with Elis and John they've seen this and expected the same reaction?

The fact they've had to plug the merchandise like a week later already shows to me they've not had the immediate uptake they thought they would and I think the reasoning for that is exactly as you've said, they've marketed this wrong. Yeah men listen to it, but the majority will be women. I'd have been more inclined to buy something like a mug, but it all seems very "laddy" and yeah, tacky. Like they've just thrown stuff out to monetise the tour. Which isn't really the vibe I've had from them throughout (except maybe for the over pushing the book). I hope they don't go overboard on the podcast on pushing the merchandise and guilt tripping route.

They could have done a cool colouring book with various scenarios (again something Elis and John did), especially considering a) the parenting angle and b) that Rob himself does it to relax too.
I agree. I've never listened to E and J's podcast but I think merch in general has to make sense within the context of the podcast. I used to listen to Luanna (yeah I know) and they did candles with funny terms they used frequently after a celeb (gwyneth paltrow?) was selling vagina candles. It was funny but it was also relevant to the show does that make sense?

Colouring books would be good, I think magnets, mugs and pens would have been a good shout as well. They could have done travel items like luggage tags (cause they talk about travel a lot) with a funny catchphrase about travelling with kids. I think they'd be better off having funny merch with quotes from the show than just a generic parenting hell t-shirt.

Reactions: 3
It does feel a bit like they’ve quickly hashed something together and not put much thought in to it. Their listeners are mainly women I’d bet my life on that. So they should have maybe catered more to them in their merch. I wouldn’t buy any of it tbh. I’d only buy merch from a singer I love. Like years ago I went to a Dolly Parton concert and bought a dolly tshirt 😅 I love PH but not enough to buy merch.

Not that any of this matters anyway because they have completely ignored Scotland so I won’t be going to see them. Shame, I’d have probably bought a ticket too.

Reactions: 7
It does feel a bit like they’ve quickly hashed something together and not put much thought in to it. Their listeners are mainly women I’d bet my life on that. So they should have maybe catered more to them in their merch. I wouldn’t buy any of it tbh. I’d only buy merch from a singer I love. Like years ago I went to a Dolly Parton concert and bought a dolly tshirt 😅 I love PH but not enough to buy merch.

Not that any of this matters anyway because they have completely ignored Scotland so I won’t be going to see them. Shame, I’d have probably bought a ticket too.
I wouldn't buy it but I think I might if it was genuinely funny. There's a youtuber I watch who has some catchphrases and I would buy his merch cause his merch is funny. I wouldn't just buy a top with parenting hell on it though

Reactions: 5
I agree. I've never listened to E and J's podcast but I think merch in general has to make sense within the context of the podcast. I used to listen to Luanna (yeah I know) and they did candles with funny terms they used frequently after a celeb (gwyneth paltrow?) was selling vagina candles. It was funny but it was also relevant to the show does that make sense?

Colouring books would be good, I think magnets, mugs and pens would have been a good shout as well. They could have done travel items like luggage tags (cause they talk about travel a lot) with a funny catchphrase about travelling with kids. I think they'd be better off having funny merch with quotes from the show than just a generic parenting hell t-shirt.
100%. The majority of merch I got was the same saying because i literally adopted it like it was my own.

There's some stuff on their website which was around at the very start of their podcast, and while I get the jokes because I've now listened to them I didn't listen "in real time" so don't feel I've adopted them the same, if that makes any sense?

I just feel like Rob and Josh like the stiff / loose neck stuff and ran with it. Like they could have even gone with salt and pepper shakers for salty Josh kind of thing.

Like even if they'd have taken out say a rucksack or a shopping trolley I'd have been more inclined. As you say, they travel a lot and from correspondence it sounds like a few parents did go with Lou's trolley idea.

Maybe Michael with the nice voice will read here and get some ideas for the next round of merchandise and open it up rather than just plastering "parenting hell" on everything.

No different than walking around with a t-shirt that just says "Eastenders" on it.

100%. The majority of merch I got was the same saying because i literally adopted it like it was my own.

There's some stuff on their website which was around at the very start of their podcast, and while I get the jokes because I've now listened to them I didn't listen "in real time" so don't feel I've adopted them the same, if that makes any sense?

I just feel like Rob and Josh like the stiff / loose neck stuff and ran with it. Like they could have even gone with salt and pepper shakers for salty Josh kind of thing.

Like even if they'd have taken out say a rucksack or a shopping trolley I'd have been more inclined. As you say, they travel a lot and from correspondence it sounds like a few parents did go with Lou's trolley idea.

Maybe Michael with the nice voice will read here and get some ideas for the next round of merchandise and open it up rather than just plastering "parenting hell" on everything.

No different than walking around with a t-shirt that just says "Eastenders" on it.
Makes complete sense! Ultimately, you buy it cause you like it and it is personal/means something to you!

I think the stiff and loose neck stuff is funny and it is a running joke. The issue is that they've just printed that on a t-shirt? It doesn't look like they made much effort in thinking of something funny to add. They could have added caricatures of them or something. I'm not sure how many people will buy a t-shirt that just says 'stiff/loose neck' with a tiny 'parenting hell' on it? Maybe people will as a gift?

Reactions: 2
I was listening to Lord of the Rings the other day on audible and there's a whole bit around stiff necks in there, as a way of describing someone rigid! Made me laugh and wondered if that's where it came from! Hmm I just googled and apparently the phrase is also used in the bible! o_O
It comes from very early on when Josh revealed that he gets a stiff neck if he doesn’t use a special pillow.

They could have printed them on neck pillows at the very least! For me it’s not even about the actual merch although it is tacky.

I know the podcast is free but let’s not pretend they haven’t got anything out of it. They managed to keep their profiles up during the whole of lockdown when they couldn’t do any other work, they both released their own autobiographies which wouldn’t have been as popular without the podcast and now they have the exclusivity with Spotify they are obviously getting money there too. It just feels like they are selling out and trying to make as much money from the fans of the podcast as they can.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I haven’t seen the merch (stopped following/listening when they went exclusive with Spotify) but potentially it’s part of that deal?

I was half expecting when they got back to being able to do live comedy / filming work that the podcast would become less frequent or trail off entirely, but I guess it must be worth the money and of course a more attractive work/life balance option for them both.

I haven’t seen the merch (stopped following/listening when they went exclusive with Spotify) but potentially it’s part of that deal?

I was half expecting when they got back to being able to do live comedy / filming work that the podcast would become less frequent or trail off entirely, but I guess it must be worth the money and of course a more attractive work/life balance option for them both.
Was going to say this, I imagine it’s part of the contract they signed with Spotify so they can make it as lucrative as possible

Reactions: 1
they probably aren't arsed. they didn't promote the podcast award thing either. They probably just don't care. Maybe it's just an easy money maker for them 🤷‍♀️

I stopped listening because Rob moaning about the audience not buying enough books as payback for receiving a free podcast was just too irritating.

If he thinks people will pay for the podcast, then charge them. If it’s not worth his while to put it out, then stop. I have no interest in listening to a product that a person willingly puts out for my consumption, and then being moaned at for doing so.

• Heart
I stopped listening because Rob moaning about the audience not buying enough books as payback for receiving a free podcast was just too irritating.

If he thinks people will pay for the podcast, then charge them. If it’s not worth his while to put it out, then stop. I have no interest in listening to a product that a person willingly puts out for my consumption, and then being moaned at for doing so.
He’s joking ffs.. doesn’t sound like you get his humour at all

Reactions: 27
I think it's mainly because of the tour. Most people who tour, sell merch.
I was going to say the same. As podcasts go, they are really very light on pushing things/self promotion. I love the pod so much, and I pay nothing for it, so if I have to scroll past a few pictures of some mugs that aren’t my taste, so be it!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Did anybody else have a tear in their eye listening to recorder club on today's episode, or was that just me 😂

It was so lovely to hear that Rob's oldest absolutely smashing recorder club and the confidence she must have gained from it 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I bawled my eyes out watching Spencer Matthews documentary the day it came out and since then I tear up at the least little thing (I’m already a very emotional person 🤣) but found myself getting teary at Rob’s story this morning too!

Josh’s birthday post for Rose, she lives a designer label! I don’t even know why that stood out for me but it’s another big difference between her and Lou I think

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.