Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Bellamerrell

VIP Member
I love this programme, such well mannered children who dont seem fussed around material items or social media like most today. I like Reuban and Syndey best

Reactions: 10

Maid22

VIP Member
Sorry I have to respectfully disagree , whatever you think of the family, they had a large family before Adrian Edmondson came knocking, and when the cameras stop rolling that farm is a huge amount of work in often very tough conditions. I grew up on a farm and am well aware of what it takes .
If she was on a council estate with that many children his daughter literally wouldn’t have a story to peddle to the Sun newspaper.
As for his age , it really doesn’t matter, they seem perfectly happy and have been together a long time .
Im not a fan of everything she does , but his daughter desperately crawling out of the woodwork with a non story is pathetic!

She’s in her forties so I fail to see what their finances have to do with her tbh
Couldn't agree more,I'm also from a farming background and it's bloody hard work.
So what if he's older than her, he was also divorced from his first wife before he met Amanda.
Why does the daughter feel entitled to their money, like they, there's always 2 sides to a story.

• Heart
This has saddened me very much. I know we don’t know what is going on behind closed doors but one set of my husband’s grandparents are Yorkshire farmers and Clive really reminds me of them - he speaks so like them and my father in law who grew up in the farm. Only grandad is still alive but he and my husband’s grandma are/were such kind, gentle, people as is my father in law.

Sidney is very like my little boy too. Raising 9 children when you are not both pulling together in the same direction will be very, very tough and I just feel so sad for the children who will (for whatever reasons the parents split up) feel a lot of sadness around this.

• Heart

lifeissweet

Chatty Member
Odd woman. She was living what many people would think an idyllic life. Unless their marriage really was dead in the water (and I know we never know what goes on in someone elses marriage) I think she's thrown away a hell of a lot.

• Heart

hanq2021

The daughter has done an interview! To be fair I do think it sounds pretty believable, she lost me at the they’ve made a million and I’m a single mum, makes the story seem like all she wants is money, but I do get the cold vibe off Amanda, I think Clive is lovely though and like she said just does as he’s told!

xRFx

Wow ! Initially I was very suprised but actually when you look back on the first season of Yorkshire farm to now I’m not. In them first episodes they genuinely were a unit, they didn’t have much ‘materially’ but that made them. Now it’s a lot more of a glitzy affair don’t get me wrong farmings farming there’s going to be mud and dirt but it’s very much about her. She never appears to be home as she’s always making a guest appearance or book signing etc somewhere. They’ve grown apart- whilst the medias made them it’s in turn destroyed them. She’s very much about the money where as I believe Clive just wants to do what he’s always done. Such a shame for the kids too particularly the younger ones.

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
Clive seems like a really nice man and a very good Dad to the kids. I don't think Amanda realises how good she has it.

• Heart

Sp20191

VIP Member
Age does matter IMO. One of my friends relatives married a much older man, 20 plus years. By the time she was in her early- mid 40s he was in his 70s and had strokes and dementia etc. She was stuck looking after him(family wouldn't help) and he verbally abused her constantly. She was constantly on the verge of a breakdown. He eventually went into residential care.
She said that people will say age doesn't matter and when they do, think about what happened with me. She advised anyone strongly to marry someone around the same age. Her example is not unusual.
I don't know anything about Clive's daughter, I've not commented on that.
And you can become disabled tomorrow and need 24/7 care from your partner 🤷‍♀️
Anything can happen to anyone, you can get dementia in your 40s, be hit by a bus, become a quadriplegic from an accident, have a stroke at any age……

Yes age is a factor but come on if she was only in it for the money they wouldn’t have Made it 20+ years with all those kids.

you can’t live your life with ‘what ifs’ take the risks, do what you want to do!

• Heart

JRHD11

One of my favourite TV shows! So wholesome, innocent and wonderful to watch the children learn and be so independent and not glued to devices!

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
Who actually cares how many children others have ? I'm sure if she had just 1 she would be slatted that the child would be lonely etc
She has made a career partly out of how many children she has. She would have been far less interesting if she had the usual 2 kids. She's not as bad as the Radfords, but part of her usp was her bringing up loads of children on a farm and popping them out no problem at all, then criticising other people's parenting to sell her books. If it turns out that she had had 9 kids, even though they were mostly premature and poorly, then people have a right to question her rationale.

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
I don't think she tolerates criticism well at all and becomes over defensive and insulting
I never liked her it was all me me, she
created this country life story like Darling Buds of May and eventually got bored of it. Apparently she had an affair with one of the TV crew which I would have thought would be more her scene. She tried modelling but never made the big time so then did the complete opposite by becoming a shepherdess of all things. But the media attention won in the end. Poor Clive became surplus to requirements.

I am not sure why she should get her own show. She's left her ageing two decades older husband for a younger man. Hardly the best impression to build up a fan base to watch your show because people will turn against you.

Reactions: 9

CC1953

Amanda is one hell of an entrepreneur. She has a finger in loads of pies. They must be really coining it in, and good luck to her I say!!

• Heart

rivermonster

VIP Member
Amanda has just been on BBC Breakfast and came over quite arrogant. She was saying they had a great lockdown, the kids learned how to use electronics, social media etc and they spent hours outdoors never minding what hour or day it was and she had a brilliant time writing her new book.
Never mind that thousands of kids were locked up in tower blocks, they were alright.

rivermonster

VIP Member
My youngest sister lives on a Yorkshire farm and if I saw her in a mini skirt and loads of bracelets I would die laughing.

• Haha
  • Heart

Eirawen

VIP Member
He reminds me of these women who have been told by their husbands that they are useless and would be nothing without their husbands and when they leave them for another woman blame themselves.

House of Tea

VIP Member

The daughter has done an interview! To be fair I do think it sounds pretty believable, she lost me at the they’ve made a million and I’m a single mum, makes the story seem like all she wants is money, but I do get the cold vibe off Amanda, I think Clive is lovely though and like she said just does as he’s told!
Presumably she got paid for this. She is not somebody I feel a great deal of sympathy for. If she wanted a relationship with her dad, doing this interview is not the best way to go about it.

Eirawen

VIP Member
Who actually cares how many children others have ? I'm sure if she had just 1 she would be slatted that the child would be lonely etc
This is a forum for opinions and debate, if you don't like it then may I respectfully suggest you find a platform where everyone is in agreement with you.

• Haha

Flowergirl14

VIP Member
Yes that's very true! No wonder she likes to market herself (it's understandable to a certain degree) because she knows the life they lead is in a sense both aspirational and nostalgic!
People need respite from the modern world and all the stress that brings and this is a perfect slice of escapism if you will.
She is savvy I'll give her that she knows she is photogenic and let's be honest seems to be naturally (genetically) blessed.
Not only is she beautiful but she seems very fit and energetic and seems to be one of those lucky woman who pings back into shape like an elastic band and makes the whole motherhood lark seem pretty easy! Then again it is easy if you have a marriage where your partner is both supportive and besotted with you and also where the other children are there to be helping hands!
She really is the archetypal shepherdess( with all the fertility symbolism that evokes) with her flock of children and animals to look after.
So it's pastoral and idyllic to those of us fatigued by inner city living! (I know I am)
Nevermind hard work we all work hard but this is hard work that offers a real sense of satisfaction getting in touch with nature and the natural world and all its natural abundance.
I've lived for a time in rural Albania and I immediately felt fitter and healthier than I had done for years (the difference was palpable and I miss it) also a sense of community and shared trials.
Not to mention the delicious (home made food) and eating things that have been grown or nurtured by you is something else!
So I completely get the huge attraction and fascination Amanda and her family hold for people
Who doesn't want to tap into the good life? So again (sorry to repeat) yes it's hard work but the rewards are so worth it
Which leads me onto my next point her criticism of other parents r.e them bringing up a snowflake generation who don't like hard work or know how to do things!
I think it's then that i thought oh dear....
That revealed to me quite frankly a bit of a snooty and condescending attitude!
She is imo starting to get a bit of a big head!
Tbh being her it must be difficult not to because as I've said she has it all brains beauty strength living her best life a beautiful family and is living in one of the most beautiful parts of England doing a job she loves.

However just because she loves what she does and is riding high on a wave of Hugh popularity (Yes most of the DM readers seem to venerate her as some kind of super woman earth goddess)
She really is starting to believe that hype imo and is walking a fine line really between being powerful and being arrogant!

The remarks aimed at other parents considering we've all been pushed to the brim during lockdown and a lot of us faced huge restrictions were really in my opinion tone deaf and insensitive.
How does she know with certainty that other people's children (or parents) don't work hard?
A lot of work these days for example involves a high degree of mental or emotional stress and exertion.
Think for example of a teacher or police officer or nurse!
How would she like to have been a bus driver or delivery person or work on a checkout (especially during a pandemic)!
Yet it's these maybe more mundane and stressful jobs that make up the backbone of our society.
Parents don't get congratulated or given kudos for doing it (or at least not public adulation) but you know life has to go on .. .
Bills to pay chores to do kids to look after (remember home schooling anyone) locked indoors like sardines. Yes the restrictions lifted but the tiredness didn't!
It was (still is) for many (myself include) pretty relentless and exhausting!
Now we have Amanda Owens telling us that guess what we (and our kids) didn't work hard or know the meaning of it!
To add insult to injury we are told that we all (because she does generalise) don't know how to do things and that we are breeding a generation of snowflakes!
This at a time when many people struggled financially mentally and had maybe the biggest pressure that they'd ever had
With both the divorce rate and rate of domestic violence being at an all time high.
In some ways we've never had it so bad (sorry but it did feel like that) and she's never had it so good!
Well bully for her but she really came across to be honest as if she lacked empathy.
Good for her she is so fortunate in so many ways but she really doesn't seem to understand that and for me at least that makes her quite unlikeable.
She has everything but she knows it doesn't she and you know a good dose of humility just wouldn't go amiss now would it?
Just my opinion I don't expect everyone to agree with it but she does seem to have quite the talent for wrongly believing that her opinions are the last word on anything and is becoming insufferably self righteous and preachy!
Save it Amanda pride comes before a fall.
Totally agree, very tone deaf as to what a tough time people are going through. Bit of a know all, my way or the high way attitude. TBH if she lived on a council estate with nine children, she would not be getting the love she does in the DM comments. I know some may say the family are not on benefits, but in this overpopulated country of ours - nine children is a lot...

Bagpuss7

VIP Member
So they've made enough now to buy their own farm. I guess that was the plan all along from Amanda. She has a very strong business head.
They bought Auntie John's ages ago ? And why not invest in their own place ..I'm in awe of what they go through as a family especially when the weather is soo awful!

And personally I think they have done an excellent job with all 9 children, they are all well mannered and have such lovely kind nature's..it's refreshing to see!

• Heart