Online dating horror stories!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I (luckily) didn't go on a date with this guy, but we matched online and spoke for quite a while and finally he asked to add me on facebook so I accepted. I noticed he was constantly publishing conspiracy theory articles which I thought was worrying.. we later had a conversation that revealed he was actually a Holocaust denier. Lucky escape.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Not really a horror story but I went on a first date but a couple of lines received on first dates that killed it for me were:

'I don't like music'
'I struggle to out to eat when it's so much cheaper at home'
'what are your hard boundaries'

Readers, I ran a mile from each one....

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Not online, but about ten years ago I was visiting a friend at uni in Sheffield and at a dive bar met a gorgeous tall Australian guy ❤. Anyway we exchanged numbers and about a month or so later I went back to go on a date with him. Since we had seen each other he had decided to take part in Movember (no judgment from me but it was not a good look). Anyway he spent the ENTIRE date complaining about how much the Aussies hated Brits and that we were all girls like on geordie shore. I’m married and live in Belgium now but I sometimes wonder what happened to him, cannot even remember his name to Facebook stalk 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
How have things been?
Excuse my language but tit. I think I’ve seen the last of him tbh.
I am disappointed, I really enjoyed spending time with him and thought we got on well. But I don’t think casual works for me.
I don’t actually want a serious relationship either so maybe it’s best I stay single for now.
Bloody feelings! I wish I could detach.

Reactions: 2
My friend has been using Bumble and has had quite an experience! She met a guy four weeks ago on there and in that timeframe they’ve been having a relationship of sorts in fastforward speed. In that time they’ve been out for dinner, to the zoo, met each other’s families and have been sleeping together and regularly staying round each other’s places. On their first date he serenaded her with the pina colada song in front of a whole bar of people - massive cringe. Obviously worked on her though! He also would text her to ask if she “wanted to go for a drive”, which is a bit strange to me, I would have asked him to make a proper plan with me for another day. He even came to her birthday dinner, which was a week or so ago, so as her friends we have now met him. He chose to pay for the whole dinner which was a nice gesture.

Anyway, Valentine’s Day rolls around and bearing in mind that it’s a new “relationship” I think she thought that he might send her a card or flowers. Nothing happens all day - not even a text message. I think she got involved too quickly and he was love bombing her. It gave me a lot of red flags as to how quickly it was all going and so I wasn’t particularly surprised that had avoided Valentine’s Day. He messaged her the day after Valentine’s Day to break things off by saying he “needed some space”.

Now he’s back on the scene as he’s texted her today to say hello and that he hopes she’s OK. To me, it really looks as though he doesn’t respect her feelings enough and that she would do well to really think about whether she wants to get involved again with this guy. It’s textbook narcissist as he thinks he can pick her up and put her down whenever he wants to. I’m now in that awkward position as she keeps asking for advice and I don’t feel that I can really be honest with her for fear of upsetting her (as I’m a tough love person).

Someone else that I know had a first date with a man she had met on an app and they had been texting back and forth for the week before. She had disclosed to him that she liked going to Center Parcs with her teenage daughter. At the end of their first date (which was at a pub he had driven them to, her car had been left at his house), he told her that he had booked for them to go to Center Parcs in a few weeks. She had to pretend that she was really excited about this until she got back to his house and could drive away, never to speak to him again. It’s also worth mentioning that whilst on this date, he had come round her side of the table and snapped a selfie of them together before she had any idea what was happening.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Excuse my language but tit. I think I’ve seen the last of him tbh.
I am disappointed, I really enjoyed spending time with him and thought we got on well. But I don’t think casual works for me.
I don’t actually want a serious relationship either so maybe it’s best I stay single for now.
Bloody feelings! I wish I could detach.
He reminds me of someone I once dated. Just ended up causing me months of hurt and upset.

My friend has been using Bumble and has had quite an experience! She met a guy four weeks ago on there and in that timeframe they’ve been having a relationship of sorts in fastforward speed. In that time they’ve been out for dinner, to the zoo, met each other’s families and have been sleeping together and regularly staying round each other’s places. On their first date he serenaded her with the pina colada song in front of a whole bar of people - massive cringe. Obviously worked on her though! He also would text her to ask if she “wanted to go for a drive”, which is a bit strange to me, I would have asked him to make a proper plan with me for another day. He even came to her birthday dinner, which was a week or so ago, so as her friends we have now met him. He chose to pay for the whole dinner which was a nice gesture.

Anyway, Valentine’s Day rolls around and bearing in mind that it’s a new “relationship” I think she thought that he might send her a card or flowers. Nothing happens all day - not even a text message. I think she got involved too quickly and he was love bombing her. It gave me a lot of red flags as to how quickly it was all going and so I wasn’t particularly surprised that had avoided Valentine’s Day. He messaged her the day after Valentine’s Day to break things off by saying he “needed some space”.

Now he’s back on the scene as he’s texted her today to say hello and that he hopes she’s OK. To me, it really looks as though he doesn’t respect her feelings enough and that she would do well to really think about whether she wants to get involved again with this guy. It’s textbook narcissist as he thinks he can pick her up and put her down whenever he wants to. I’m now in that awkward position as she keeps asking for advice and I don’t feel that I can really be honest with her for fear of upsetting her (as I’m a tough love person).

Someone else that I know had a first date with a man she had met on an app and they had been texting back and forth for the week before. She had disclosed to him that she liked going to Center Parcs with her teenage daughter. At the end of their first date (which was at a pub he had driven them to, her car had been left at his house), he told her that he had booked for them to go to Center Parcs in a few weeks. She had to pretend that she was really excited about this until she got back to his house and could drive away, never to speak to him again. It’s also worth mentioning that whilst on this date, he had come round her side of the table and snapped a selfie of them together before she had any idea what was happening.
First guy sounds like he 'benched' your friend. Meaning he will have thought someone better came along and probably given them the valentines attention, may not have worked out with her, so has gone back to your mate who he put to one side just in case.
She needs to get rid.

I once had a guy dump me out of the blue after things going well and I got the gist he wanted me to beg for him back. I didn't.

So a few days later he went to 'sort out our issues' :rolleyes: and I went along with it.
Just so a week later I could dump him via a nasty text listing all his faults and 'issues'.
I'm very petty though 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
First guy sounds like he 'benched' your friend. Meaning he will have thought someone better came along and probably given them the valentines attention, may not have worked out with her, so has gone back to your mate who he put to one side just in case.
She needs to get rid.

I once had a guy dump me out of the blue after things going well and I got the gist he wanted me to beg for him back. I didn't.

So a few days later he went to 'sort out our issues' :rolleyes: and I went along with it.
Just so a week later I could dump him via a nasty text listing all his faults and 'issues'.
I'm very petty though 😂
I’m really petty as well once I’m annoyed! It’s the Leo in me 😂😂!

She should disengage from him. I think that she’s so desperate to meet someone and he was the first “decent” guy that’s she has dated in a while that she’s willing to settle for how he’s treating her. A lot of her self worth seems to settle on whether she has a boyfriend.

My other friend and I have tried to warn her that this won’t end well but she’s only really replying one word answers in response - such as “OK” and “Yeah”. I don’t think she wants to hear it so I guess it’s for her to find out the hard way. 🙁

I’m really petty as well once I’m annoyed! It’s the Leo in me 😂😂!

She should disengage from him. I think that she’s so desperate to meet someone and he was the first “decent” guy that’s she has dated in a while that she’s willing to settle for how he’s treating her. A lot of her self worth seems to settle on whether she has a boyfriend.

My other friend and I have tried to warn her that this won’t end well but she’s only really replying one word answers in response - such as “OK” and “Yeah”. I don’t think she wants to hear it so I guess it’s for her to find out the hard way. 🙁
She'll learn, the hard way.
Unfortunately as friends you've done all you can, to try and advise her.
There's none so blind as them that won't see and all that...

The majority of my friends are male and they drive me mad with their girl problems. They do ‘bench’ girls when someone better comes along and won’t be honest and say what they want because they don’t want to look like a bastard and keep you as a fall back.

Reactions: 3
On their first date he serenaded her with the pina colada song in front of a whole bar of people - massive cringe.
That would be bad if it was a marriage proposal after knowing each other a while-but you could just about forgive it in those circumstances. On a FIRST date, though, if she couldn't see that red-flagged a narcissist or just out-and-out nutter, well, I don't know what to say.....

My friend was complaining about a tinder guy that stood her up, she was saying she liked his profile because he called himself intelligent 😂. Poor girl can't read the the warning signs for guys to avoid like the plague 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 6
My friend was complaining about a tinder guy that stood her up, she was saying she liked his profile because he called himself intelligent 😂. Poor girl can't read the the warning signs for guys to avoid like the plague 😬
Oh god. Guys calling themselves 'intelligent' are the same as guys who call themselves 'good' or 'nice'.
Run, run far away.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone had any dangerous or bad experiences with online dating ?

Whether an experience happened to you or someone you know, or the person turned out to be convicted of something really dodgy.

I made this thread cause I was watching an online horror story documentary series that aired on channel 4 a few years ago and there were some bloody scary firsthand experiences off that show 🙈