Old Hollywood gossip & stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I found it painful how Audrey Hepburn’s parents treated her - both were ardent admirers of Hitler (they in fact missed her 6th birthday to go and visit him) and her father later abandoned her. During the abandonment he was suspected of funding or working with a company that funded the Third Reich. He was arrested and imprisoned in England under Defense Regulation 18B, as he was considered an enemy of the state for his membership in “the British Union of Fascists and as an associate of foreign fascists”. He was interned for the duration of WWII. When Audrey found him years later in Ireland, she insisted on paying his medical bills when he became ill. Her mum was such a big fan of Hitler she had a photo of him and her framed and displayed in their house. Look how they all suffered due to the Nazi’s. Yet Audrey’s mum fraternized with the German soldiers in the open and even organized a cultural evening in Dusseldorf. She was suspected by the Dutch resistance (the same resistance Audrey raised money for) of being part of the Gestapo and she worked in a German Red Cross hospital looking after ill German soldiers. She used to proudly display the swastika and German eagle in her house too.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Loving this thread. Apparently Ava Gardener had a threesome with Peter O’Toole and Richard Burton declaring that only an Irish man and a Welsh man together could satisfy her 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Lauren Bacall's autobiography 'By Myself' is a terrific read. All about her marriage to Humphrey Bogart. She does however gloss over the affair she had with Frank Sinatra. It began before Bogey died, though in her book she said it started after. She admitted she became quite obsessed with Sinatra, they got engaged and he wanted it kept secret. When she told someone about it he was furious, cut her off and never spoke to her again.
You can apparently rent Sinatra's house in Palm Springs. It looks amazing - one of those sprawling bungalows that still looks so Rat Pack era.

Reactions: 9
Lauren Bacall's autobiography 'By Myself' is a terrific read. All about her marriage to Humphrey Bogart. She does however gloss over the affair she had with Frank Sinatra. It began before Bogey died, though in her book she said it started after. She admitted she became quite obsessed with Sinatra, they got engaged and he wanted it kept secret. When she told someone about it he was furious, cut her off and never spoke to her again.
You can apparently rent Sinatra's house in Palm Springs. It looks amazing - one of those sprawling bungalows that still looks so Rat Pack era.
Frank's house is now for sale:

Reactions: 4
Old Hollywood scandals are my jam, I love them. So many stories you think are too weird and incredible to true, yet they actually are true!
One of my favourites coming to mind is the story of Clark Gable and Loretta Young's baby. They had an onset affair (I think he was married at the time, if memory serves), she got pregnant but as a staunch Catholic she didn't want to have an abortion and didn't want to give the child up for adoption either. She left Hollywood for a few months and came back with this tall tale about adopting two infants, but one of the adoptions fell through, so she was just left with little baby Judy. I don't think any Hollywood insiders really believed her, and Judy was teased at school about Gable being her father. She met him twice growing up, but it wasn't until he'd died and she was getting married that Loretta told her the whole truth 😬
There’s a sad aftermath to this story.
Years later after watching a programme on “date rape” Young told her family “that’s what happened to me!”
She had spent years blaming herself and feeling terrible guilt when it wasn’t e en her “fault” as it would have been seen as then. She felt she was being punished by having to live a terrible lie. Her daughter would ask
why if she was adopted, did she look like her mum.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Walken and Wagner were having sex and Natalie Wood caught them and well... the rest you can fit together yourself....

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Keith Richards (Stones) was accosted by Marlon Brando for some sex in the 1960s. (from Keith Richards Book 'Life')

So Brando might have been bisexual or gay... heh.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Keith Richards (Stones) was accosted by Marlon Brando for some sex in the 1960s. (from Keith Richards Book 'Life')

So Brando might have been bisexual or gay... heh.
Brando was well known for being gay. I won’t link it but there is a famous pic of him with a cock in his mouth!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Interesting programme on Elizabeth Taylor on BBC 2 last night, just watching the recording. The haven't got to the scandal yet.

Her first husband was Conrad Hilton Junior (yes those Hiltons) but he was a raging alcoholic who died at 42 from a heart attack. Their marriage only lasted 8 months.

Also they just said James Dean was gay. I guess they kept that quiet for the adoring female fans. Quick Google suggested he slept his way into roles. I find that hard to believe. He was talented.

Interesting programme on Elizabeth Taylor on BBC 2 last night, just watching the recording. The haven't got to the scandal yet.

Her first husband was Conrad Hilton Junior (yes those Hiltons) but he was a raging alcoholic who died at 42 from a heart attack. Their marriage only lasted 8 months.

Also they just said James Dean was gay. I guess they kept that quiet for the adoring female fans. Quick Google suggested he slept his way into roles. I find that hard to believe. He was talented.
I remember watching one of those psychic shows a while back and the lady psychic- cant remember her name - was holding an item of James Dean's clothing, a t shirt or something. She didn't know who it belonged to, she was to give an account of the person based on her psychic ability. Anyway, one of the things she apparently picked up on was that whoever wore that item of clothing was gay. That was years ago and it wasn't common knowledge at the time, but there seems to be a lot of gossip around nowadays saying that it was true.

Reactions: 5

I read a biography on her after she died. She was fascinating, I keep meaning to reread it.

Reactions: 3
She was. I'm not convinced her relationship with Burton was a great love story. They sound more like 2 addicts that enabled each other.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
I watched that show about Taylor's photos too. I loved the bit where Joan Collins said something like "in this photo she's looking at the camera and saying duck you!"

Young stars today are just so bloody bland.

Reactions: 7
I'd love to read Mommie dearest, the biography written by Joan Crawford's daughter. They made a film out of the book, with Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford. The irony is there are rumours that Faye Dunaway isn't exactly sweetness and light. Some good casting there then!
I loved that film!

Reactions: 1
I watched that show about Taylor's photos too. I loved the bit where Joan Collins said something like "in this photo she's looking at the camera and saying duck you!"

Young stars today are just so bloody bland.
Interesting reference to the casting couch. I don't know that Joan was offered the role of Cleopatra first but l heard Elizabeth didn't really want it to said l will do it for a million, not expecting them to agree.

Reactions: 2
Fox really wanted Taylor but Collins was already under contract so they used her to persuade Taylor to sign for the film. You can watch her original screen test on YouTube.

Reactions: 3
My favourite story about Tallulah was during the filming of Hitchcock's Lifeboat. She didn't wear underwear on the set, much to the amusement of the crew. When Hitch was informed and asked to do something about it, Hitch replied, "I don't know if this is a matter for the costume department, make-up, or hairdressing."

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Is there any insider information on Marilyn Monroe?
It was rumoured that Marilyn suffered from Endometriosis, but it wasn't really a known condition. It would account for the extremely heavy periods, painful sex and numerous miscarriages. She underwent so many surgeries down there, the adhesions alone would have been agony.
All caused by being repeatedly raped from a young age in foster care.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
It was rumoured that Marilyn suffered from Endometriosis, but it wasn't really a known condition. It would account for the extremely heavy periods, painful sex and numerous miscarriages. She underwent so many surgeries down there, the adhesions alone would have been agony.
All caused by being repeatedly raped from a young age in foster care.
duck me I never knew she was abused as a kid