Old Hollywood gossip & stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Love is Nothing, a biography about Ava Gardner is fantastic as well.

Reactions: 6
Loving this thread. I adore the ‘golden age of Hollywood’ and there is so much scandal to read and learn about.
Judy Garland is one of my all time favourite actresses and I feel her story is so sad but also fascinating. Parking myself here so I can come back to this thread!

Reactions: 11
Loving this thread. I adore the ‘golden age of Hollywood’ and there is so much scandal to read and learn about.
Judy Garland is one of my all time favourite actresses and I feel her story is so sad but also fascinating. Parking myself here so I can come back to this thread!
Her friendship with Kay Thompson was very sweet. And most certainly continued with Liza and Kay.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
If anyone gets the chance read The Moons a Balloon by David Niven. Just a wonderful raconteur and genuine man by all accounts. It is hilarious as well. It's written as of he cannot quite believe he is acting in Hollywood movies.
Wash your willy in the sink over there duck (or words to that effect 😁 when he was at school and fell in love with the prostitute)

Bette Davies ( my girl 🥰) is in a film called the Old Aquaintance, well she had run off with her co stars husband (or vice versa, I cant remember) and there is a part of the film where she has to shake the co-star and my sources say (bette davies book) that she chinned her for real. Everytime i watch it i chuckle.

My fave line though is: Liz Taylor married to Eddie Fisher, goes to film Cleopatra in Rome and meets Richard Burton. Falls in love. They are at it like rabbits in her Rome apartment, Eddie rings and Richard answers:

Eddie: What are you doing in my apartment?
Richard: bleeping your wife.

Sky Arts has hundreds of docs on all the old greats. The Joan Fontaine one explains the feud with her sis in her own words. Awks. Love Joan for Rebecca and Jane Eyre so #TeamJoan :m

My fave scandal though has to be Lana Turner and the daughter killing the lover. ( i also agree great films, Peyton Place, Imitation of life etc)

• Heart
Reactions: 15
The whole studio system fascinates me, it really did seem a period where anyone could be a star. I totally get why people dropped everything to go to Hollywood.
I'm a saddo and google map famous houses and imagine what it would be like to live there. It's not really old Hollywood in the same context but is anyone else into the history of Laurel Canyon and all the musicians of the 60s/70s making amazing music there?
Have you ever watched Mad Men? In season 7, one of the characters moves into a house in Laurel Canyon and it's gorgeous: https://www.latimes.com/home/la-lh-mad-men-season-7-sets-20140429-story.html It's definitely on my list of places to buy a house if I won the lottery!

In fact, whenever Mad Men did an LA episode I swoon at the mid-century architecture and the colourful fashions. It's gorgeous.

I'd love to read Mommie dearest, the biography written by Joan Crawford's daughter. They made a film out of the book, with Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford. The irony is there are rumours that Faye Dunaway isn't exactly sweetness and light. Some good casting there then!
its free on kindle unlimited - Mommie Dearest by Christina Crawford (noooooooo wirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre hangers😤)

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Have you ever watched Mad Men? In season 7, one of the characters moves into a house in Laurel Canyon and it's gorgeous: https://www.latimes.com/home/la-lh-mad-men-season-7-sets-20140429-story.html It's definitely on my list of places to buy a house if I won the lottery!

In fact, whenever Mad Men did an LA episode I swoon at the mid-century architecture and the colourful fashions. It's gorgeous.
I have!! I love those LA episodes. Its my fantasy to live/rent a house in Laurel Canyon even if its an air b&b. I'm trying to work up the courage to drive abroad as there are so many spots in LA I want to drive around. I often google houses for sale there and day dream, especially the cottage style houses. Have you seen the houses in Hollywoodland near the sign? They are absolutely gorgeous, very old Hollywood. There are so many cool hidden gems in LA you can get stuck in a rabbithole.

its free on kindle unlimited - Mommie Dearest by Christina Crawford (noooooooo wirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre hangers😤)
I'm not mad at you I'm mad at the dirt!!!!
That opening scene with Joan getting ready is one of my favourites.

Reactions: 7
I read Rita Morenos autobiography. It was a great read but very heartbreaking as well. She had this torrid affair with Marlon Brando that spanned decades. She got pregnant and she thought they would get married but he organised an abortion for her instead🙄. It was horrendous as the Dr basically botched it and she was really injured. Poor Rita. But she describes her obsession with him so well. She describes him as like this drug to her. But what I liked was that she was eventually able to re marry and have a family. Marlon Brando was very questionable. Rita is such a talent I love seeing her.

Also if anyone gets the chance read In the Psychiatrists chair by Anthony Clare. It has the transcript from his interview with Eartha Kitt. He can be a bit shady towards Eartha I feel but it's good because its Eartha. She did feel abused and mistreated in her life that's because she was. She tried to make a life for herself that was independent despite being heavily ferishized in the 50s. In the Psychiatrists chair also has an interview with Jimmy Saville that is basically Saville stonewalling the entire time.

There is a commonality with the daughters of famous women writing biographies
I read Maria Rivas biography of her mother Marlene Dietrich. That was a difficult read she calls her Dietrich throughout and when she writes about the sexual abuse she suffered from her childminder my heart broke for her. But when she told her mother about it when she was a young woman she was so callous and dismissive she actually said to her 'your alive arent you'? To be honest a lot of these Hollywood stars were proper ogres and monsters. Plus with Marlene Dietrich she was an absolute raging egomaniac. She told her daughter she regretted not going out with Adolf Hitler because she felt if she had she could have prevented the Second World War because she would have told him no. 🤔
She worked tirelessly in the Allied campaign though and suffered by being called a traitor though by her countrymen and women. But she was off it in a lot of ways. Her daughter was also a singer and went to sing for the Allied troops.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
If anyone gets the chance read The Moons a Balloon by David Niven. Just a wonderful raconteur and genuine man by all accounts. It is hilarious as well. It's written as of he cannot quite believe he is acting in Hollywood movies.
I love that book. I just bought his two other books. Bring on the empty horses book is all about old Hollywood. The other book is a fiction one.

Reactions: 4
I've always been fascinated by Merle Oberon and her constant fight to cover up her actual nationality and origins. Obviously, racism was a big thing in Hollywood and the USA at the time but I'd heard before she died in the 1970s that she was Anglo-Indian.

• Sad
Reactions: 9

Linda Darnell was another raving beauty who met a tragic end.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Ladies and gents, may I introduce Tallulah Bankhead. She was a wild child before the term was even coined.

She was bisexual and proud of it way back in the 30's and 40's, and wasn't shy about declaring her love of sex. Once gave an interview in 1932 where she said "I'm serious about love. I'm damned serious about it now ... I haven't had an affair for six months. Six months! Too long ... If there's anything the matter with me now, it's not Hollywood or Hollywood's state of mind ... The matter with me is, I WANT A MAN! ... Six months is a long, long while. I WANT A MAN!"

Had an emergency hysterectomy in 1933 due to venereal disease. When she left the hospital, weighing barely 5st, she defiantly yelled at her doctor "Don't think this is going to stop me!"

Among her alleged lovers were Rex Whistler, Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich, and Hattie McDaniels.

Tallulah was at a wedding, as the bride and groom walked down the aisle, she said "I've had them both, they were lousy" 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I've read that book, and I agree it's brilliant. The odd thing that he leaves out is that he was a big friend of Glenn Miller. Miller isn't mentioned at all. Niven talks about his wife dying in an accident, the difficult times he faced when he started, yet not a word about Miller, his friendship with him, or his disappearance.....

Wasn’t there a John Wayne films that was filmed on a nuclear testing site and loads of people developed cancer as a result ?
Just googled it, it’s called The Conqueror
I saw this programme about it, and it was proven that number of people who died due to cancer on the film was no higher than the US cancer rate at the time, I hate when they prove a good tale false!!!

Wayne himself said it was nothing to do with the film, and more to do with his six pack a day cigarette habit, Lee Van Cleef and Agnes Moorehead were heavy smokers too.

Reactions: 2
I read a biography of David Niven which said his second wife, Hjordis, was a horror and that the marriage was very unhappy despite it being held up as a wonderful success by Hollywood standards. She was jealous and unkind to him and deeply insecure about his first wife Primmy. Roger Moore wrote how she was a 'complete witch' laughing at and mocking Niven when he was dying from motor neurone disease.
Possibly Niven was still mourning his first wife as he and Hjordis met and married within six weeks. She really was a stunningly beautiful woman mind you.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I read a biography of David Niven which said his second wife, Hjordis, was a horror and that the marriage was very unhappy despite it being held up as a wonderful success by Hollywood standards. She was jealous and unkind to him and deeply insecure about his first wife Primmy. Roger Moore wrote how she was a 'complete witch' laughing at and mocking Niven when he was dying from motor neurone disease.
Possibly Niven was still mourning his first wife as he and Hjordis met and married within six weeks. She really was a stunningly beautiful woman mind you.
She was drunk at Niven's funeral and Moore (a man not quick to anger) told her at one point to 'Get in the bleeping car'.

• Wow
Reactions: 10