Old Hollywood gossip & stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Think it’s 328 on sky I have set the box up for that and the signal man New Year’s Eve if I can get to watch it.

Reactions: 2
My aunt is adamant that Eddie Redmayne resembles a young Chaplin.

(While I'm here, highly recommend the 1992 film "Chaplin" a fascinating look into his life.)
When I first saw that picture above (the Winston Churchill one) my first thought was, "oh, he looks a bit Eddie Redmayne-ish!

Is it true that Marlon Brando was a rotter to women (I mean not merely a cheat, but abusive?)

Is it true that Marlon Brando was a rotter to women (I mean not merely a cheat, but abusive?)
He treated Maria Schneider terribly during the rape scene in Last Tango in Paris. The director didn’t tell Schneider until right before the scene and she said ‘Marlon said to me: 'Maria, don't worry, it's just a movie,' but during the scene, even though what Marlon was doing wasn't real, I was crying real tears. I felt humiliated and to be honest, I felt a little raped, both by Marlon and by Bertolucci. After the scene, Marlon didn't console me or apologise. Thankfully, there was just one take.’
---
Marlon also forced Rita Moreno to get a botched abortion which made her infertile. Afterwards he ran off with someone else and Moreno tried to end her life. His ex wife Tarita Terpia called him a disgusting pervert and claims he sexually abused their daughter. Cheyenne wrote in her diary that her father used to massage her ‘as if he wanted me to pretend we were making love’. Tarita says that they experienced a ‘living hell’ and describes him as ‘a man of violently changing moods, capable of switching in an instant from tenderness to physical or mental cruelty’.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
He treated Maria Schneider terribly during the rape scene in Last Tango in Paris. The director didn’t tell Schneider until right before the scene and she said ‘Marlon said to me: 'Maria, don't worry, it's just a movie,' but during the scene, even though what Marlon was doing wasn't real, I was crying real tears. I felt humiliated and to be honest, I felt a little raped, both by Marlon and by Bertolucci. After the scene, Marlon didn't console me or apologise. Thankfully, there was just one take.’
---
Marlon also forced Rita Moreno to get a botched abortion which made her infertile. Afterwards he ran off with someone else and Moreno tried to end her life. His ex wife Tarita Terpia called him a disgusting pervert and claims he sexually abused their daughter. Cheyenne wrote in her diary that her father used to massage her ‘as if he wanted me to pretend we were making love’. Tarita says that they experienced a ‘living hell’ and describes him as ‘a man of violently changing moods, capable of switching in an instant from tenderness to physical or mental cruelty’.
Yes,I’ve read a few things about him but your post,lays it out correctly and more so.Thanks.🙁🙁

• Heart
Reactions: 3
It’s old BBC ghost stories from ‘71,they are on talking pictures.Tonight 8.15pm Barchester Towers,I posted a time thing on here few posts back.Post 717.
I’m enjoying it very much, interesting to see Thelma Barlow in it! (Mavis from Coronation St). I don’t check TV listings and have never even watched Talking Pictures till tonight. Thanks again, Dolly!

I’m enjoying it very much, interesting to see Thelma Barlow in it! (Mavis from Coronation St). I don’t check TV listings and have never even watched Talking Pictures till tonight. Thanks again, Dolly!
I’ve recorded it..will do others and have a good ghost watch.🥰

Watched the first two episodes of Archie - felt the timeline was a bit all over the place and Jason Issac’s accent was a bit off but Cary’s real accent was unique so I can see it being hard to get 100%. The Bristolian accents were good apart from teenage Archie played by Oaklee Pendergast. What on God’s green earth was that? Because it certainly wasn’t Bristolian. I thought the voice of the actress playing Grace Kelly was good because I’ve heard so many bad attempts at her accent. Annoyed me when she said she was a Royal Highness because Monégasque royalty doesn’t have Royal status, only Serene as they are a Principality not a Kingdom.
Was surprise they went for Laura Aikman and not a bigger name for Dyan. I remember her from The Mysti Show back in the day! I don’t know much about Dyan so not sure if Laura is like her or not but I liked how they gave a vague answer to the question about Cary being gay.
I don’t know much about Cary Grant apart from being a fan of his work and him being from Bristol. I know they’ve changed the source material around but he comes across as quite an awkward man who was unsure of himself. I didn’t realise how horrible his father was. Such an evil man.

Reactions: 4
So glad I’ve found this thread. I love old movies, I need to watch It’s A Wonderful life given it’s Christmas :)

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Watched the first two episodes of Archie - felt the timeline was a bit all over the place and Jason Issac’s accent was a bit off but Cary’s real accent was unique so I can see it being hard to get 100%. The Bristolian accents were good apart from teenage Archie played by Oaklee Pendergast. What on God’s green earth was that? Because it certainly wasn’t Bristolian. I thought the voice of the actress playing Grace Kelly was good because I’ve heard so many bad attempts at her accent. Annoyed me when she said she was a Royal Highness because Monégasque royalty doesn’t have Royal status, only Serene as they are a Principality not a Kingdom.
Was surprise they went for Laura Aikman and not a bigger name for Dyan. I remember her from The Mysti Show back in the day! I don’t know much about Dyan so not sure if Laura is like her or not but I liked how they gave a vague answer to the question about Cary being gay.
I don’t know much about Cary Grant apart from being a fan of his work and him being from Bristol. I know they’ve changed the source material around but he comes across as quite an awkward man who was unsure of himself. I didn’t realise how horrible his father was. Such an evil man.
I'm on episode 4, can honestly say the first half of ep 1 is some of the most depressing tv I've ever seen.
It must've been awful going through all that (the historically correct, anyway)

It picks up massively once he gets to Hollywood, I'm rather enjoying it.
It does have me wondering though with the constant changes into "old camera filter" as if it's a home movie that they're trying to get across that "Cary Grant" was all a performance to begin with.

Reactions: 3
They made a comment to Dyan in the show that Cary Grant was one of the biggest stars in the world or something to that effect - in the early sixties would he have still be seen with the same awe by younger women, was he still that popular with everyone?

Reactions: 1
Finished watching Archie - I’m a bit mixed with it but overall I liked it. Changed my perception on Cary Grant a bit but of course the bulk of this is based on Dyan’s book so one could argue how unbiased parts of it are. I felt quite sorry for his mum as he had her removed from an asylum she knew for 22 years and then put her in a large house on her own by the looks of it? I did look up his brother because I wondered if the story was true about Eric looking in on Elsie and I found it sweet that Cary visited Eric when he visited his mum and they developed a relationship. Sadly he died quite young and only a few years after Elise.
Here is a picture of Cary with Eric and Eric’s wife taken in the 1970s in Bristol. The photographer was Maureen Donaldson who had a four year relationship with Cary when she was in her 20s and he was in his late 60s, early 70s. She wrote a memoir in which she stated Cary wore women’s underwear as they were more comfy and easier to clean, that he wasn’t very well endowed, only wanted sex once or twice a week and laughed when he orgasmed. Dyan, Maureen and Barbara (his last wife) were all much younger than him and it does feel a bit creepy.
IMG_4513.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I have to say that in his late 60s/early 70s 'only' wanting sex once or twice a week sounds quite impressive to me 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Jack Lemmon on the set of Some Like it Hot, 1958.
Apparently one reason Billy Wilder opted for black and white was the makeup on Jack and Tony Curtis was so heavy it looked garish in colour. Looks like he had a point 😂

Screenshot_20231223_224018.jpg

Reactions: 12