Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Miss Ophelia

VIP Member
Think it’s 328 on sky I have set the box up for that and the signal man New Year’s Eve if I can get to watch it.

Reactions: 2

thegirlscout

VIP Member
I thought she was scalped?
Quoting myself but I did some Googling and found this excerpt from an article. I put it under a spoiler because it’s a bit of a gruesome description.
‘Although Mansfield's actual mode of death was gruesome, she was not beheaded. According to the police report on the accident, "the upper portion of this white female's head was severed." Her death certificate notes a "crushed skull with avulsion (forcible separation or detachment) of cranium and brain." One thinks of a beheading as the neck's being sliced through, causing the head to be separated from the body, but that is clearly not what happened here. Scalping is perhaps a closer description of Mansfield's fate, but even that word does not accurately reflect the cranial trauma she suffered, because scalping victims at least retain an intact skull. The Angel of Death did not afford Mansfield this luxury: Her skull was cracked or sliced open, and a sizeable piece of it was carried away.’
---
If I remember didn’t they have photo of her poor doggie though?🙁
Yes I’m the Hollywood Babylon book according to the Snopes article I posted. I believe 2 survived in the backseat.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Have you checked these sites?

Thank you. Unfortunately a lot of them are American based or don’t work full stop. The Public Domain one and some but the graphics are quite pixelated. The search continues!

HowlOwl

VIP Member
It’s old BBC ghost stories from ‘71,they are on talking pictures.Tonight 8.15pm Barchester Towers,I posted a time thing on here few posts back.Post 717.
I’m enjoying it very much, interesting to see Thelma Barlow in it! (Mavis from Coronation St). I don’t check TV listings and have never even watched Talking Pictures till tonight. Thanks again, Dolly!

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
I'm a William powell fan but find myself frustrated at his lack of meaty roles. It's like he's always holding back something and won't let himself go entirely. Would he have even been able to even? Or wasn't he given the opportunity? Maybe it's his personality showing through and he wasn't a good communicator?

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
If any body’s interested

This week finds us rekindling the spine-tingling spirit of Christmas as we resurrect the BBC's classic A Ghost Story for Christmas series, an eerie journey that begins with The Stalls of Barchester on Monday at 8.35pm, first broadcast on Christmas Eve 1971 and featuring Robert Hardy, Clive Swift and Thelma Barlow. In this adaptation of M.R. James’ short story, a mysterious box in the old library of Barchester Cathedral reveals the strange story of a former archdeacon.
Ooh thank you. I've become slightly obsessed with Robert Hardy since rewatching the original All Creatures Great and Small series on Drama.
Such a good actor.

• Heart

OwlAtTheMoon

Where have you been watching them? Or did you get them on DVDs?
I'm a dvd fiend and have all the ones I mentioned on dvd but if you have access to Talking Pictures channel (we have virginmedia tv & it's on their basic package) then all of these films have been on in the last few months.

• Heart

Phoenix Lazarus

VIP Member
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the wizard of oz set as a whole? With the stories about the munchkins orgys & the potential suicide of one in the background of a scene?
Someone killed their self in a scene in W of O-or someone who was in the background of a scene in that later killed their self?

• Wow

sallygsoton

VIP Member
Haha fair enough. Yeah used to watch them in 80s/90s growing up but must have completely missed this one.

Yeah seen Brigadoon a few times, Paint Your Wagon is so random but entertaining. Finians Rainbow I've heard of and think seen once
My growing up was 60's and 70's :D

• Heart

lamaitresse

VIP Member
'Mank' looks good, though I haven't seen it. About the race to finish Citizen Kane. Gary Oldman is Herman 'Mank' Mankiewitz the screen writer.
Has anyone seen it?

Be Kind Rewind (a Youtuber worth following if you're into old Hollywood, though she tends to concentrate on women - mentioned her earlier on this thread) raves about Mank:

Marilyn has SO MANY inaccuracies about her stated as fact nowadays (all celebrities do, it probably gets worse when you're dead and can't defend yourself).

Blonde would've done better not mixing "real" aspects of Monroe's life with fantasy (it seems like it's written and produced by people who actually hate their subject, maybe all womankind!) and making the lead role an anonymous blonde movie star instead. It really depresses me to think people will watch it thinking it's a factually correct portrait of Monroe's life.

Same with My Week With Marilyn, I'm sorry to say, much of it is fantasy and very little is substantiated by MM fact-checkers or those around her at that time. For a realistic bird's eye view about the making of The Prince And The Showgirl, have a read of Michelle Morgan's "When Marilyn Met The Queen" book (Michelle is interviewed on Suzie Kennedy's podcast discussing it - Suzie is a well-known Marilyn lookalike).