Old Hollywood gossip & stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Funnyman Stan Laurel as a brutal murderer: it seems a surreal idea.
He was nothing like the comic character he portrayed. He wrote the majority of the Laurel and Hardy skits etc. as Oliver Hardy was a lovely man, and really didn't mind Laurel being the boss. Laurel could be a hard taskmaster by all accounts, but as a murderer? I'm not sure.....

Reactions: 7
The Stan Laurel stuff has really shocked me.I watched a doc about Laurel & Hardy recently,so I knew he was a big womanizer.But murder?.Wow.

Reactions: 3
But how did Stan know where to find her?
Where did the pair of tights come from?
How come he was not mentioned before in any of the (many) accounts of her death?
Who witnessed him even being there?

Crazy.

At least in the Marilyn Monroe death there was evidence found that Bobby Kennedy had been in the area.

Who has placed Stan at the scene?

Reactions: 2
MGM turned Judy Garland into a drug addict. They wanted her to stay childlike so she had diet drugs and l believe puberty delaying drugs. Those interrupted her sleep so she had sleepy drugs...then they couldn't keep her awake, enter uppers. It's unbelievable they got way with doing that to a child.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 34
I’m obsessed with old Hollywood!! The women were so beautiful makes me sad looking at the numptys that are famous now
im parking myself here 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 55
The whole thing about Stan Laurel's involvement in Thelma Todd's death is still up for debate. It's more than likely a rumour. What I find strange about her death is how quickly it was passed off as a suicide when her injuries and some of the evidence clearly pointed to murder. How did she manage to crack two ribs? Or put marks on her throat that resembled strangulation?

There were over 200 steps from the restaurant up to her garage, yet her shoes were clean and free from the dust that would have collected there.

I'm of the opinion that she was murdered, more than likely by either associates of Pat Di Ciccio or Lucky Luciano.

Reactions: 8
The whole thing about Stan Laurel's involvement in Thelma Todd's death is still up for debate. It's more than likely a rumour. What I find strange about her death is how quickly it was passed off as a suicide when her injuries and some of the evidence clearly pointed to murder. How did she manage to crack two ribs? Or put marks on her throat that resembled strangulation?

There were over 200 steps from the restaurant up to her garage, yet her shoes were clean and free from the dust that would have collected there.

I'm of the opinion that she was murdered, more than likely by either associates of Pat Di Ciccio or Lucky Luciano.
This account makes more sense - stupid phone wouldnt let me copy and paste so had to screenshot it.
Screenshot_20210209-082434.png

I’m obsessed with old Hollywood!! The women were so beautiful makes me sad looking at the numptys that are famous now
im parking myself here 😊
Its the costumes that I love most.
The gowns. The skirt suits.
And how the costume teams knew how to dress the women for their body shapes.

Apparently Crawford's shoulders were really big anyway and the shoulder pad idea was born from them trying to deal with her athletic shape.
They couldnt make her shoulders smaller but they could make everyone elses look bigger.

And Stanwyck had a short torso so they created clothes with a 'waistband' that sat higher up to give the illusion of a longer middle section.

The Wardrobe people are as interesting as the Stars they dressed.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
I loved the glamour of the era too. In films (and in real life) when STARS (and they were real Stars as opposed to nowadays) went to lunch it was suits, hats and gloves and out for dinner - full evening dress! Can't imagine that in your local Harvester can you?

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Watch this cringy interview with Audrey Hepburn:
It cringy as Gloria the interviewer starts talking about curves and Marylin Monroe when it was well known that Audrey Hepburn suffered from malnutrition.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
I have a book with really lots of gossip,fabulous stories,I was given the book by a friend of my aunt in the States.

original book Kenneth Anger.Love it.
That Kenneth Anger book is great but its well known to be made up. Anger himself even admitted it.

One of my favourite stories was Errol Flynn stealing John Barrymore's corpse from the funeral home and sitting it in the chair Weekend At Bernies style so the "boys club" could carry on partying with him.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Quick search of 'old Hollywood' on CDAN brings up some great old school rumours.......

Watch this cringy interview with Audrey Hepburn:
It cringy as Gloria the interviewer starts talking about curves and Marylin Monroe when it was well known that Audrey Hepburn suffered from malnutrition.
When you say malnutrition.... do you mean an eating disorder? Apologies for my ignorance.

When you say malnutrition.... do you mean an eating disorder? Apologies for my ignorance.
It's said Audrey suffered from malnutrition and lifelong weight issues from lgrowing up in near starvation during WW2

• Sad
Reactions: 16
Audrey Hepburn‘s eating disorder began during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands in WWII. My mum saw her dancing in the West End after the war and said Audrey was the thinnest person she had ever seen.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I find Joan Fontaine and Olivia Havilland, who were sisters, very interesting. Both were talented actresses and rivals who couldn't stand eachother.

I also grew up on and loved Hitchcock movies; he's now been revealed to have harrassed some of his leading women, including Tippi Hedren, whom he sexually assaulted and terrorised during the filming of The Birds. If anyone saw The Girl starring Sienna Miller, it was about her experience with him.

Hitchock has been described as a sadistic prankster. This is one story:

"Hitchcock bet a film's property man a week's salary that he would be too frightened to spend a whole night chained to a camera in a deserted and darkened studio. The chap heartily agreed to the wager, and at the end of the assigned day, Hitchcock himself clasped the handcuffs and pocketed the key - but not before he offered a generous beaker of brandy 'the better to ensure a quick and deep sleep'. The man thanked him for his thoughtfulness and drank the brandy, and everyone withdrew. When they arrived on the set next morning, they found the poor man angry, weeping, exhausted, and humiliated. Hitchcock had laced the brandy with the strongest available laxative, and the victim had, unavoidably, soiled himself and a wide area around his feet and the camera."
:oops:

This is brilliant thread.👍

This is another sad story Frances Farmer.

So , so sad. I've read her book, "Will there really be a morning?". "You Must Remember This" did a good podcast about her, too.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Quick search of 'old Hollywood' on CDAN brings up some great old school rumours.......

Get ready to fall into the Shimmy/Timmy rabbit hole :)

Reactions: 5
Great thread!
I'm sure this is known but Hedy Lamarr was super clever. Had a part in torpedo technology during the war. Also when she was with Howard Hughes she had worked with him on aeronautical stuff (sorry for vagueness - I read what she did but it is beyond me). She has also been credited with contributing to bluetooth technology.
Frank Sinatra was a strange one. Incredibly kind, loyal and generous. Numerous accounts of helping stars when they had fallen on bad times - he paid for all of Judy Garland's medical bills - but on the other hand a completely ruthless bastard who would cut people off for really minor things.

Reactions: 26
It was said that Audrey suffered from health problem as a child due to her almost starving while her country was under Nazi occupation. She said that during that time she lived off turnip flour.

Audrey Hepburn‘s eating disorder began during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands in WWII. My mum saw her dancing in the West End after the war and said Audrey was the thinnest person she had ever seen.
That was one of the reasons why she never made it as a dancer, which was her aspirations as a child.

• Sad
Charlie Chaplin was a right bleep.

As a kid I was absolutely terrified of the little woman character he had.
I had literal nightmares for a week at the age of about 10, I have no idea what brought it on as I’d never watched it.
Even now I still feel sick thinking about it & Charlie Chaplin as a whole.