Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I would've felt bad for her being elderly, but she's been awkward with them from the day they moved in over other things.
I think that last sentence made me sound so heartless, I apologise! Hate seeing anyone upset, But my sister's neighbour is an awkward lady, a curtain twitcher and tells you where you can and can't park and all that. My sister is the most laid back person, but it must annoy her if she tells me about it 😂

Reactions: 3
We're about to get new neighbours please let them be normal.
Then the once on the other side are rather odd they have been there about 5 month. They never open the curtains and you hardly see them. They cut their back lawn. But the front lawn they have never cut. Weeds growing every where and it looks a right mess. It's a bit of a odd one as it's kind of a shared type of lawn but the top bit is definitely their property. I cut it a few weeks ago up to where it is thier property. It's now all over grown again and looks a right mess. My OT has told me not to cut it again. It's driving me mad. There only a young couple I just find it really odd. To me the outside of my house has to be well kept and tidy.
I am getting to the point where I want to say cut your fing grass

The house next to us sold just before lockdown, I’ve wondered who would be moving in and hoped it would be a nice family. I’m not sure who bought it but there’s been 6 guys in and out since they started work on it last week. And, wow, they must be removing every internal wall and floor. Mechanical drilling all day long, and I think they’re on their 3rd (massive) skip of rubble. The noise is horrendous.

• Sad
I'm sorry to post this on here, but am unable to make a new thread 😫 I would appreciate any advice from council workers/council tenants.

I've been living in my council house since April 2018 alone. I want to move my partner in and would have to add him to my current single tenancy, but apparently if I add him to my tenancy we would then be joint tenants and if we were to ever split up (I like to plan ahead cuz, you know, life 😂) or he moved out it would end the tenancy for BOTH of us and so I would be homeless.

I've spoken to a woman when I first signed the tenancy agreement about this and she said that's nonsense and you just add them as a sub-tennant and if they moved out you can simply remove them from your tenancy, but other people have told me it is true and I'm confused. I even checked a website and it said if I'm a "secure council tenant" this applies to me.

Surely the council can't evict tenants if say a couple have a joint tenancy and they split so want to go back to single tenancy? I'm sure many couples who are council tenants split eventual and are not made to lose both of their tenancies?
He needs to go on the electoral roll (but you can opt out of the “public record”) otherwise it’s a 1k fine.
You also need to remove single occupancy but again you can refuse to have him on the bill. They don’t tell you this but it can definitely be done.
You do not need to have a joint tenancy. I’ve had a tenancy 25 years. My partner moved in 4 years ago & the secure tenancy remains solely in my name.

Reactions: 1
The house next to us sold just before lockdown, I’ve wondered who would be moving in and hoped it would be a nice family. I’m not sure who bought it but there’s been 6 guys in and out since they started work on it last week. And, wow, they must be removing every internal wall and floor. Mechanical drilling all day long, and I think they’re on their 3rd (massive) skip of rubble. The noise is horrendous.
It sounds like the film Pacific Heights, if you’ve ever seen or heard of that (it‘s quite old). Michael Keaton plays a neighbour, well in fact a tenant, who drills and hammers all day long in this couple’s house and no progress is ever made!

One of our neighbours over the back is doing a diy refit of a sash and case bay window, upstairs back bedroom. We’re working from home. They started a couple of months ago. From 11am to about 8pm each day they’re sawing, drilling, grinding, you name it. When the weather got better we couldn’t open the back door for the noise.

About 3 weeks ago my husband went round about 6.30 on the Friday night because no-one round about could enjoy the evening sun in their gardens. The wife was very apologetic and said she’d told her husband he was a nuisance neighbour. He was also playing 80s power ballads at full volume...don’t know which was worse. Next we heard them rowing and now the project hasn’t been touched for weeks. The weather hasn’t been great either though.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
I'm sorry to post this on here, but am unable to make a new thread 😫 I would appreciate any advice from council workers/council tenants.

I've been living in my council house since April 2018 alone. I want to move my partner in and would have to add him to my current single tenancy, but apparently if I add him to my tenancy we would then be joint tenants and if we were to ever split up (I like to plan ahead cuz, you know, life 😂) or he moved out it would end the tenancy for BOTH of us and so I would be homeless.

I've spoken to a woman when I first signed the tenancy agreement about this and she said that's nonsense and you just add them as a sub-tennant and if they moved out you can simply remove them from your tenancy, but other people have told me it is true and I'm confused. I even checked a website and it said if I'm a "secure council tenant" this applies to me.

Surely the council can't evict tenants if say a couple have a joint tenancy and they split so want to go back to single tenancy? I'm sure many couples who are council tenants split eventual and are not made to lose both of their tenancies?
When me and my partner signed our joint tenancy agreement, our housing officer advised if we were to split up they take nothing to do with who would stay in the house, it's totally up to us to sort that out.

After reading everyone else’s here I think I should be pretty grateful with the neighbours I’ve got!

One of my neighbours has a dog that barks at EVERYTHING! I can’t let mine out for the toilet without this other dog going absolutely crazy, it’s like that with all the dogs around here but no one else’s is like that. I always feel guilty cause one of my neighbours works nightshift so anytime I let my dog out to pee I worry that this other dog is gonna wake them up!

I also have a really strange couple who live across the street from me, I’m guessing in their 60s. He just does the weirdest stuff I don’t even know where to start. We had to cut down a tree in our front garden as where it was it blocked the Sky dish from picking up signal. It wasn’t very big but we had to get rid of it. The next day him and his wife are over at our garden looking in at where it had been touching the stump that was left slagging us off for removing it! Don’t think they’d realised I was home and could hear everything they were saying from the living room. Another morning I saw him out in the street about 7/8am with a measuring tape measuring the road/pavements and everything about his house? Still don’t know what for.

The rest of my neighbours are all a lot older than me (early twenties) and they’re all 50+ but they’re nice keep to themselves say hi in passing.

These have made my day. 🤣

I've lived in many houses over the past 10 years and Ive been really fortunate with my neighbours, all but two of them.

First tit neighbour lived next door had an old petrol lawn mower which the old bloke would roll out all seasons and weathers and have it running for hours on end in the 3 years I had lived there. The gardens were small and the fences only 3ft high. They didn't even have any grass. He was really obnoxious and would have loud conversations to himself in his garden to himself about how much he hated everyone or how hard he is... used to scream at his wife all day who was also a battle axe and was a basic tit to anyone and everyone. He was really confrontational and he would roll up his sleeves exposing his swallow tattooes, declare he did bare knuckle fighting back in the day and threaten to knock em out - (he was a pensioner mind) and then make their lives hell with spiteful little things, he had already taken umberidge and did it to us, threw a hissy fit because we removed a palm tree bush in our own garden when we first moved in. He had a blazing row with the neighbour at the back and I tit you not the next morning he sweeped up aload of leaves and I could hear him saying out loud in his garden saying hes gonna "smoke the fuckers out", he only petrol lit all the leaves and they blew all over the place still with fire on them then you could hear him panicking and hes trying to whip it all out and their just blowing away more. The amount of smoke everywhere as well because they were wet leaves was unreal plus he charred some of the fences. Was not impressed as my son was only a newborn.

Then in another house, there was always a raging piss up in the house next door, a woman lived there with her 3 adult children. They were all raging alcoholics and didnt have a set of teeth or a job between them, she would always go out and buy herself a Lambrini first thing every morning, then followed by her sons cradling their Ace White or Orangeboom who would then have a dozen other scrawny men with no tops or jobs dressed like teenagers on their front drinking with them during the day. They all seemed nice enough people but they really enjoyed karaoke and all used to spit in their own hands and swear on their dead relatives graves all the time in any conversation even if you hadnt indicated anywhere you thought they were telling fibs. They had a relative who lives a few doors to them, a raging, warped, loud, smackhead in her late 40s who when I first moved in kindly let me know if I could hear any "shagging" it will be her because her boyfriends getting out of jail in a few weeks... he got out of jail, I knew about it alright, he introduced himself to me at the door on christmas day wanting to know if I wanted to buy myself a party pack, he was only about 20 years old. 👀

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
The first house I bought was in a U shaped courtyard, nice little place to live in but there was a bit of an odd woman living in the corner.

Now none of these houses had outside space as such just a courtyard to park cars in access to houses etc, this lady in the corner had a pet cat and she loved this cat.

She used to take him for walks on a lead and she would put the lead on him and tie him up outside the front door so the cat could get some 'fresh air'. Bit weird really

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Our neighbours are a bit petty about everything, and mean-spirited. There’s two parking spaces on the road, and the husband will often park literally a hair’s breadth from my bumper (there’s plenty of room and I always park on my half). Their roses started to peek through our hedge and they yanked them all back through; similarly they cut back a beautiful honeysuckle (their plants, I know, but just childish really). Still, they could be a lot worse and they are pretty quiet. I’m sorry to read about the awful neighbours people have.

Reactions: 1
Oh they just play LOUD music in odd hours (morning and noon?) I would normally complain to building security but decided to just let them enjoy their lockdown lol

Just sat here minding my own business and a random guy walks past our house and starts having a right nose through the skip currently on our drive!! He might as well of gotten in the bloody thing the way he was searching, opening all the bags!

I know I should have gone out and told him to do one, but I'm currently home alone and I'm a wuss!!

This has REALLY annoyed me! Don't walk onto my private land and start helping yourself to things, rubbish or not!!!!! If there was anything worthwhile in there I'd have donated it!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Just sat here minding my own business and a random guy walks past our house and starts having a right nose through the skip currently on our drive!! He might as well of gotten in the bloody thing the way he was searching, opening all the bags!

I know I should have gone out and told him to do one, but I'm currently home alone and I'm a wuss!!

This has REALLY annoyed me! Don't walk onto my private land and start helping yourself to things, rubbish or not!!!!! If there was anything worthwhile in there I'd have donated it!
THIS!!! I don't understand why it's acceptable to rummage through someone's skip?! Drives me mental!

Reactions: 9
THIS!!! I don't understand why it's acceptable to rummage through someone's skip?! Drives me mental!
Exactly!!!! I'm more riled up now he's gone, hoping he comes back another day for a skip dive so I can say the things I've thought of since he left 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I’ve had skips or junk lying out when getting work done. The etiquette is to knock on the door and ask. We had a massive pallet and loads of cardboard uplifted by someone who was going to use it. He asked first though.

Reactions: 5
Our neighbors behind us (our backyards are divided by a fence) decided to build a dog pen and have 4 dogs in it. They constantly sit there and bark all day long. Especially the old german shepard will not shut up. They used to keep the dogs closer to their house but I guess they were getting on their nerves. Well now they are getting on mine.

• Angry
One of the main reasons we decided to buy our ground floor flat was for the garden. We have a beautiful garden which we spend a lot of time and money on to make sure it looks immaculate.

Unfortunately the neighbours above us have taken to using our garden as a bin. First they started throwing cigarette butts down into our garden, then they poured buckets of dirty water down from their windows. Now we have progressed to actual rubbish. Used tissues, wet wipes, chicken bones, bottles - you name it, it's getting chucked out of their windows instead of into the bin. 😡
I’d be returning their tit through the letter box, filthy c***s

• Haha
My neighbours are nosy but mercifully quiet. However they do think they’re living in belgravia-the majority have bought their council houses & it’s frankly gone to their heads 😂

• Haha
I live in a semi-detached house with some trellis on a fencing panel in the back garden. My neighbour actually stands at the trellis peering in. As soon as she see's you sat out or doing anything she is straight there. Contemplating putting some plants on the trellis, I feel mean but I just want to enjoy some peace and privacy in my garden.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.