Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Try putting lemon or orange peel or squirting lemon/lime juice around.
It won't harm the cats, but they don't like citrus so won't go near it.

I'm afraid I can't help you on how to repel your creepy neighbour.
I suppose you could always try squirting him with lemon juice too! šŸ˜…
Iā€™ll try that thanks! Maybe Iā€™ll squirt some over the fence when I know heā€™s there šŸ˜œ

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Lol! Love that one Tree_ !!

We have tried to find out what we're supposed to have done, but she ignores our attempts at trying to be civil, just ignores us.

I have logged everything right from the beginning, have CCTV also, but the police just don't do much at all. It seems to be because she hasn't actually DONE anything, like shouting at us or damaging anything, then they can't do anything. But yeah, it does feel like harassment now.

We've put trellis up to block her view at the top, but she stands really close to the fence with her nose practically up against it to see through the slats. It's like a 60ft long fence so that'd be a lot of plants! I do have plants but most are deciduous so right now it's more noticeable.
I was out in the garden yesterday and i was on the phone and I spotted her stood about 2ft from me just watching and listening to my phone call. It's not like I was saying anything interesting, either!
She doesn't work, so she's at home all day every day. I dread the summer :(
Do you think your fences maybe need a clean? Perhaps with a high power pressure washer? Would be such a shame if you accidentally caught her with it šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Thank you @Escapist
I have temporarily cheered myself up by ordering them a glitter bomb šŸ˜‚
I have never wished bad on anyone until now, but I truly hope the next family to move here will give them hell.Sorry you went through it too, why people think their music needs to be loud enough for anyone else to hear I will never understand! Nasty people to swear at children, I wish people like this would all move together on an island and leave us alone! These people play Elvis on loop with loud bass :oops: I never want to hear his voice with a deep rumble against my wall again.

Has anyone got any advice on how to stop cats shitting in my garden? I do understand that my neighbour canā€™t stop them but itā€™s extremely frustrating! Iā€™ve had a lovely vegetable garden for the last few years but canā€™t now as they dig it up and tit in it. They tit by the kids play area even in the front garden. Weā€™ve tried all sorts of remedies and repellents but getting no where fast! Plus I think the neighbour is a bit of a creep, he started talking to my five year old over the fence, just gives me the creeps!
Cats don't like mint or lavender, so dot a few plants around your garden to keep them away (bonus: your garden will smell lovely).

As for your neighbour, put him in the freezer ... as in, write his name on a piece of paper and stick it somewhere deep in with the frozen peas or something. It won't hurt him; he'll just stay away.

I bought my first house with my boyfriend in 2017, a new build terraced town house. We got it as had a great price and help to buy scheme worked out for us with it being new, wouldn't ever do that again though for a few neighbourly reasons. On our right was someone who had bought their house, and the left was a landlord bought. We were literally in the middle of it all.

The guy who had bought his house was a proper meat head who gave off EDL vibes and would constantly scream at his daughter and if you parked slightly on his boundary he'd go scream at whoever was doing it.

He would come and kick our bins over , go out into the garden every time I did, and shout abuse across the fence about my dog. Who was a puppy at the time so still learning etc. We literally were nothing but nice to him and his family but he just seemed to get pissy about everything and would get into fights with people having parties etc near us. One time even shoved someone on my car in a fight and it got damaged and he denied it.

The rented neighbours were always lovely with every one we had, but this guy was incredibly racist to the couple we had living next to us last, and went round their home at 5am one day kicking and shouting abuse at them because they had dogs that barked sometimes. He ended up messing with the wrong people in lockdown and police had to be called as there was a fight right outside my front door.

Opposite us was a couple in their 50s who's house was literally immaculate but both were secretly alcoholics and would try and attack eachother or bash the door down to their homes almost monthly.

We sold the house in 2020 and now live in a really nice detached home where I can feel relaxed and not worried about what's happening. Sorry for the people that bought it but we needed to get out! we bought the house previous as the area was meant to be nice but we just got the wacko neighbour lottery.

It's safe to say I don't even try with my neighbours here as I don't want to get involved or give them some weird reason to hate me.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I used to live in a flat underneath the strangest man Iā€™ve ever encountered.
He would smoke weed and drink every night. His living area was above my bedroom and when he was completely wasted (pretty much every night), you would hear him singing Radiohead - creep at the top of his voice. Something about it was really sinister.
He also used to have really loud wanks a couple of nights a week...you would hear him groan and say ā€œthatā€™s betterā€ when he finished. šŸ¤¢ Definitely wanking as he was a loner.
He sounds a right tosser. šŸ˜‰

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Some of the complaints on here are beyond petty. How does the state of the inside of someone else's home have anything to do with anyone else? Or someone didn't clap for the NHS. Shocking. Nobody on my street did apart from 1. What's the big deal? Let people live. I have a friend constantly moans about her neighbour and how messy his house is inside. No consideration for the fact this man lives alone is older probably can't be arsed and who's to say they don't have mental health issues? plus it's not affecting you if someone is messy. Another post about someone's blinds being closed all the time. I keep mine closed because I have anxiety. God people can be nosey bastards. Again is it affecting anyone else in the street if I don't have my blinds open? No. Have people mentioned to me that my blinds are always closed? Yes and I find it sad that that's the kind of thing that upsets some folk. Hang on and I'll open my blinds and feel uncomfortable in my own home just because someone doesn't like how it looksšŸ˜‚ No idea what real problems are some people.

Reactions: 12
We have blinds at the front of the house and during the week theyā€™re not opened early in the day as we spend our days working in our office at the back of the house. Some days theyā€™ll only be opened about 6pm only to be shut by 7.

Reactions: 3
We have blinds at the front of the house and during the week theyā€™re not opened early in the day as we spend our days working in our office at the back of the house. Some days theyā€™ll only be opened about 6pm only to be shut by 7.
And you can bet there will be some "weirdo" (seems to be the popular word) who has come to some conclusion in their own mind as to why they're never open lol

My grandma stayed in a block of 8 and had been in the same apartment for 40 years. When she died the rest of the neighbours shut their blinds and curtains from finding out until the day after the funeral. This was in the 90s. Apparently it even then it old fashioned and was a sign of respect. I was touched.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
We have the curtains in the front room closed most of the time because our pets live in that room (chinchillas) and kids kept knocking on the window and scaring them when the curtains were open and they could be seen. Itā€™s pretty normal where we live though, if they werenā€™t knocking youā€™d look up and crap yourself seeing a kid peeking through šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I have to keep mine shut. I live in a ground floor flat. Otherwise the world and his wife can look into my bedroom and living room constantly so it does suck that I don't get a lot of natural light anymore.

Very often the blinds in my living room donā€™t get opened as Iā€™m in the back room or the kitchen during the day. Its nobody elseā€™s business.

Oh god yes, blinds ... or voiles in my case (I think thatā€™s what theyā€™re called) I am chronically ill and some days donā€™t make it out of bed until late afternoon so mine are closed a lot. The nosey old couple across the street donā€™t like it one bit. I couldnā€™t care less though, Iā€™m not bothering them or affecting their life. They turn their noses up at practically everything. No one can sneeze with out them knowing about it, theyā€™re always watching

Oh god yes, blinds ... or voiles in my case (I think thatā€™s what theyā€™re called) I am chronically ill and some days donā€™t make it out of bed until late afternoon so mine are closed a lot. The nosey old couple across the street donā€™t like it one bit. I couldnā€™t care less though, Iā€™m not bothering them or affecting their life. They turn their noses up at practically everything. No one can sneeze with out them knowing about it, theyā€™re always watching
It's ridiculous nobody knows anyone elses circumstances. Unless a neighbour is physically in their space or being unreasonably loud/rude/nasty people need to wind their necks in.

Reactions: 7
I think I might have posted before about my awful neighbours. They are constantly banging on walls, doors slamming, tv and music on max volume, dog barking, you name it they do it. It went quiet for a while but now they are back to it much worse than before. It gives me panic and anxiety attacks every time it starts. I know itā€™s deliberate as I complained about them but environmental health refused to do anything so they took this as the green light to do whatever they like. If we go in our garden they come out too and encourage the dog to bark and growl at us, if my children play or laugh they put on loud music (only with my 2 quiet children not their neighbours the other side with 5 very loud children I can hear through 3 walls), if Iā€™m cooking they decide theyā€™ll cook too but bang everything they can and slam cupboard doors aggressively, their tv sound bar is switched on when I go to bed so it vibrates the bass through my bedroom wall. I am trying to move house but I am at the end of my tether now. We never get any sleep as theyā€™ll randomly pound on the wall at 3am and 5am to wake my children then laugh. I feel bullied in my own home, we havenā€™t done anything to retaliate or cause them to treat us like this but I end up feeling like I need to walk on eggshells as they have convinced everyone and themselves theyā€™re the victims. The neighbours have sided with them and if I do anything or call the police they will do something much worse. Iā€™m a single mum with no support so I havenā€™t got any one to back me up and they know this. I canā€™t report it again as EH or the council/landlord have refused to do anything and I canā€™t afford soundproofing. Any ideas before Iā€™m thrown into prison for doing something illegal!?
I find it incredible that the Council or Environmental Health have refused to act on this. Nobody should have to put up with a family like them.

You must keep on at the Council and maybe talk to your GP, say it is affecting your health.

Reactions: 1
Thanks, unfortunately because of their ages they turn on the charms that they couldnā€™t possibly be doing what I claim because they're kind people and they go to bed at 9pm, except I can hear them watching tv making tea and talking at 3am :ROFLMAO: . EH believed them even after listening to the recordings, they said itā€™s normal every day noise. At 1am. 3am. Excessively through the day. Deliberate. All the things their website states are anti social and will be acted on. They refused to look into it again and told me to call 999 instead, like that will be necessary or even help! I feel so let down, but they have got away with it and convinced everyone Iā€™m lying and encourage my children to lie too. I honestly think they have made themselves believe none of it actually happens. Iā€™m counting down the minutes until we move.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Thanks, unfortunately because of their ages they turn on the charms that they couldnā€™t possibly be doing what I claim because they're kind people and they go to bed at 9pm, except I can hear them watching tv making tea and talking at 3am :ROFLMAO: . EH believed them even after listening to the recordings, they said itā€™s normal every day noise. At 1am. 3am. Excessively through the day. Deliberate. All the things their website states are anti social and will be acted on. They refused to look into it again and told me to call 999 instead, like that will be necessary or even help! I feel so let down, but they have got away with it and convinced everyone Iā€™m lying and encourage my children to lie too. I honestly think they have made themselves believe none of it actually happens. Iā€™m counting down the minutes until we move.
This happened to a friend of mine. The neighbour would turn music up full and go out for days leaving it on - her son eventually going in and turning it off while she was nowhere to be seen. Police were called lots of times and all they ever did was ask the woman to keep it down. My friend had to move house in the end as she had a toddler being kept up all night. Some folk are just arseholes for the sake of being arseholes. Good luck with your move ā™„

• Wow
I'm loving this thread! I have a neighbour and late at night, I can hear a sweeping noise coming from his garden. It's almost every night, without fail, in the dark and with no lights on the garden, so goodness knows how he sees what he is doing or WHAT he is sweeping.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.