Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Haha, unfortunately I contributed to this thread earlier about the twats living above us who use our garden as their wheelie bin. 😭 I've never had a Tattle post that's had as many reactions. 😂

Pleased to report that we're due to move in a month though. 💃💃💃
Oh, ok, I missed that post so I take it back 😂😩

Fingers crossed you have better luck in your next place - good luck with the move, and happy new home!!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Does anyone else think this is weird?

We have a neighbour who has always been nasty to us, and have had problems with her such as criminal damage to our garden, harassment and had family of hers saying horrible things about us so we can overhear in our garden, plus tells other neighbours complete lies about us.
We thought it had calmed down a bit but now shes taken to coming out into her garden whenever we are in ours and she stands and stares at us through the fence (there are little gaps in the slats, we can see her but not sure she realises this), and listens to us talking. Now it's getting to be every time we're out there. I know it sounds as if she has a sad little life (she does) but i'm really getting disturbed by it, we spend a lot of time in the garden as we all have disabilities but i'm getting to the stage where I don't want to be out there.. another neighbour said it sounds like shes stalking us. Is it me being too het up over it, or would you find it weird?

• Sad
Reactions: 8

We have a neighbour who has always been nasty to us, and have had problems with her such as criminal damage to our garden, harassment and had family of hers saying horrible things about us so we can overhear in our garden, plus tells other neighbours complete lies about us.
We thought it had calmed down a bit but now shes taken to coming out into her garden whenever we are in ours and she stands and stares at us through the fence (there are little gaps in the slats, we can see her but not sure she realises this), and listens to us talking. Now it's getting to be every time we're out there. I know it sounds as if she has a sad little life (she does) but i'm really getting disturbed by it, we spend a lot of time in the garden as we all have disabilities but i'm getting to the stage where I don't want to be out there.. another neighbour said it sounds like shes stalking us. Is it me being too het up over it, or would you find it weird?
What a weirdo. Get proof of this...video recordings, voice recordings and keep a diary of events. Phone non emergency police and report it, she could be done for harrassment.

Reactions: 11
What a weirdo. Get proof of this...video recordings, voice recordings and keep a diary of events. Phone non emergency police and report it, she could be done for harrassment.
That’s good advice as it is harassment. Hope it gets sorted.

Reactions: 6

I know it might be a stupid question, but have you ever had a conversation with her to find out what the issue is? Often before any action is taken you’d need to establish that you’ve tried to resolve the problem yourself and attempts to do so have failed.

Reactions: 8

Could you put something on your side of the fence blocking her view of you in the slats? Maybe some sort of plant?

Reactions: 5

Yes that is definitely weird. You're probably best building up a log of her actions. If you confront she'd probably thrive on the drama.

Could this maybe a mental health issue? Our neighbour has schizophrenia and can suffer symptoms very similar to this.
Minus the family though. Idk maybe she just really does have a sad life.

It's harassment either way, keep a log of incidents you have with her.

Reactions: 4
Lol! Love that one Tree_ !!

We have tried to find out what we're supposed to have done, but she ignores our attempts at trying to be civil, just ignores us.

I have logged everything right from the beginning, have CCTV also, but the police just don't do much at all. It seems to be because she hasn't actually DONE anything, like shouting at us or damaging anything, then they can't do anything. But yeah, it does feel like harassment now.

We've put trellis up to block her view at the top, but she stands really close to the fence with her nose practically up against it to see through the slats. It's like a 60ft long fence so that'd be a lot of plants! I do have plants but most are deciduous so right now it's more noticeable.
I was out in the garden yesterday and i was on the phone and I spotted her stood about 2ft from me just watching and listening to my phone call. It's not like I was saying anything interesting, either!
She doesn't work, so she's at home all day every day. I dread the summer :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Lol! Love that one Tree_ !!

We have tried to find out what we're supposed to have done, but she ignores our attempts at trying to be civil, just ignores us.

I have logged everything right from the beginning, have CCTV also, but the police just don't do much at all. It seems to be because she hasn't actually DONE anything, like shouting at us or damaging anything, then they can't do anything. But yeah, it does feel like harassment now.

We've put trellis up to block her view at the top, but she stands really close to the fence with her nose practically up against it to see through the slats. It's like a 60ft long fence so that'd be a lot of plants! I do have plants but most are deciduous so right now it's more noticeable.
I was out in the garden yesterday and i was on the phone and I spotted her stood about 2ft from me just watching and listening to my phone call. It's not like I was saying anything interesting, either!
She doesn't work, so she's at home all day every day. I dread the summer :(
Just start blasting out the air horn each time she is by the fence. Soon stop doing it 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Yes, as others have said, she is harassing you.

Or you could play her at her own game and when she stares at you, put a glove on a stick and wave it at her over the fence and say, “hello” she might retreat indoors if she knows you’ve cottoned onto her weird behaviour. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11

Can you put something like polyfilla in the gaps so she can't see in?

Reactions: 1
I will start reacting to it in a subtle way and see if it makes a difference - I'd rather embarrass her than have a confrontation, I'm really not a confrontation kind of person and don't want to start a slagging match over the fence

The fence is a weird one to describe, it's quite a decorative fence, and the two gardens are on difference levels so thats why she can see through it quite a bit.

I don't know if she has a mental health problem, or shes just bored (and a bit strange). Surely though if you don't like people then you'd just ignore them. I feel like our life is a soap opera for her. And it's more disconcerting because we know she doesn't like us - feels threatening, in a way.

Reactions: 2
I will start reacting to it in a subtle way and see if it makes a difference - I'd rather embarrass her than have a confrontation, I'm really not a confrontation kind of person and don't want to start a slagging match over the fence

The fence is a weird one to describe, it's quite a decorative fence, and the two gardens are on difference levels so thats why she can see through it quite a bit.

I don't know if she has a mental health problem, or shes just bored (and a bit strange). Surely though if you don't like people then you'd just ignore them. I feel like our life is a soap opera for her. And it's more disconcerting because we know she doesn't like us - feels threatening, in a way.
You could grow some evergreen shrubs along the fence. Things like Yew, Cypress, Laurel, Hebe. If she hasn’t got anywhere to see in, she might end up leaving you alone.

She does sound odd though. If she doesn’t like you, why does she find you so fascinating to watch? She sounds bonkers.

I can’t wait to move and not share a bedroom wall with someone so that I don’t need to listen to them having sex all of the time and grunting like pigs!

Do newer buildings have less issues with noise, even if it is a flat? Or are they just as bad as older building? (I’m in a tenement)
Newer buildings are the worst for thin walls. I’ve lived in a few over the years and could always hear my neighbours.

Reactions: 1
My sister-in-law lives on a terraced street with no front gardens, the type that you have the front door opening directly onto the public pavement. Her neighbours have a ring camera plus motion sensing lights and asked her to please ask her guests (this was pre-pandemic obvs) to either cross to the other side or approach from the other end of the street because someone merely walking past on the pavement triggers their camera and lights. 🙄 Not sure why they didn’t predict this when they set it all up. Anything bigger than a small car driving past also sets at least the bloody lights off.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Yes. When I was a kid our next door neighbor was a very odd bloke, his wife and their young child.
Just a really creepy vibe and she never interacted.
One day I was at home with my younger brother, I must have been about 17, my brother about 11 years old.
We heard a man screaming with anger. It was Incredibly scary and upsetting for my brother and me. It was just a bit of an argument. We come from a very loud family but this was pure anger.
I went upstairs to look out the window and see neighbour screaming at the boy in the garden, he must've only been 6 years old 😥 it wasn't just a telling off it was a very frightened little boy not moving a muscle being screamed at in his face whilst the mum had her back turned and facing the garden hedge not moving.

I called the police and reported to social services.
Social services did an investigation and the mum all of a sudden found a voice and blamed my mum for phoning them.
About a year later the husband jumped in front of a train.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
My sister-in-law lives on a terraced street with no front gardens, the type that you have the front door opening directly onto the public pavement. Her neighbours have a ring camera plus motion sensing lights and asked her to please ask her guests (this was pre-pandemic obvs) to either cross to the other side or approach from the other end of the street because someone merely walking past on the pavement triggers their camera and lights. 🙄 Not sure why they didn’t predict this when they set it all up. Anything bigger than a small car driving past also sets at least the bloody lights off.
It would be funny if someone did a moony in front of her camera. 🤣

• Haha
It would be funny if someone did a moony in front of her camera. 🤣
The first time we visited after she told us, we were so tempted to walk past flicking the Vs at it but restrained ourselves 🤣. They seem perfectly fine neighbours other than that but I just don’t get why they’d do that in a terrace if they’re bothered by people walking past triggering it.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I used to live in a flat underneath the strangest man I’ve ever encountered.
He would smoke weed and drink every night. His living area was above my bedroom and when he was completely wasted (pretty much every night), you would hear him singing Radiohead - creep at the top of his voice. Something about it was really sinister.
He also used to have really loud wanks a couple of nights a week...you would hear him groan and say “that’s better” when he finished. 🤢 Definitely wanking as he was a loner.

• Haha
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.