Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t wait to move and not share a bedroom wall with someone so that I don’t need to listen to them having sex all of the time and grunting like pigs!

Do newer buildings have less issues with noise, even if it is a flat? Or are they just as bad as older building? (I’m in a tenement)

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 2
I can’t wait to move and not share a bedroom wall with someone so that I don’t need to listen to them having sex all of the time and grunting like pigs!

Do newer buildings have less issues with noise, even if it is a flat? Or are they just as bad as older building? (I’m in a tenement)
I think probably, unless you're detached? My old build had much thicker walls than the new build we lived in.

Reactions: 1
I think probably, unless you're detached? My old build had much thicker walls than the new build we lived in.
Oh :( Well now I don’t know what to do, lol. I wish I could afford a detached where I am - although I’d settle for a flat with thick walls, it’s not an easy thing to confirm whilst viewing!

• Heart
Just an update on my noisy dog neighbours; today they left with their army of kids in tow at 2pm. It’s not just before midnight, not one of them has come home I’m lying in bed at the other side of the flat and I can still hear the dogs barking like they have been since they left. I’m absolutely at my whits end with this, I don’t even know what else I can do
I would call the rspca, even if they cannot come out, you need a record of events

I’m lucky with my neighbours but one side did require ‘training’ 😬 basically they would scream at each other disgusting language for hours at a time I was at one point worried he was abusing her or something but once I realised it wasn’t that and they just liked arguing I’d had enough so what I did was as soon as they started arguing I would treat them to a live concert featuring me and as soon as they would stop so would I, I don’t think they could hear me very loud certainly not like them shouting. Very petty but I find men shouting like that quite intimidating, ironically now we all are actually good friends and their arguing seems to have stopped mostly.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I am loving this thread! Got plenty of stories so may write more...

He thinks he’s a ticket, stalks about with his coffee and his short shorts and his ugly dog.
Don’t know why but the ugly dog comment just had me in hysterics. I keep rereading it and cracking up 😂

Unfortunately the neighbours above us have taken to using our garden as a bin. First they started throwing cigarette butts down into our garden, then they poured buckets of dirty water down from their windows. Now we have progressed to actual rubbish. Used tissues, wet wipes, chicken bones, bottles - you name it, it's getting chucked out of their windows instead of into the bin. 😡
Feel your pain @Penelope Strawberry as I had a very similar situation. Nightmare neighbours in the flat above. It started with fag butts and joints which I collected up, wrapped in clingfilm and left on their front doormat with a note saying “stop throwing this into my garden, buy an ashtray or use a bin”. This was on the day some other neighbours were moving in so they must have thought I was a psycho! It worked for a while but started up again along with chicken bones and wet wipes, pizza crusts, bottle tops, condom wrappers and one time a used condom 🤢 Plenty of other stories about those neighbours...

The woman in the flat above was an office worker by day and a telephone sex worker at night, and seemed to have her noisy, thumping washing machine going all night long, where she'd sit on top of it making lots of 'ooooh' and 'aaaah' noises. She also never closed her curtains at night - seemed to get a right thrill out of passersby seeing everything. A number of people in the flats complained but the landlord was a creepy old geezer who loved to eavesdrop and perv, so complaints fell on deaf ears.
A few years ago when living with a mate we discovered our very prim and proper looking upstairs neighbour was a prostitute - probable dominatrix. She looked like an ageing Mary Poppins and the one time I saw her out of the flats she actually had a carpet bag.

She’d have male callers at all hours but often they’d be hanging around the front door looking shifty/scared or confused. We’d ask who they were after and they never knew her name. She also had deliveries of boxes of ‘industrial thongs’ 😂 There would be noise at all hours of the day and night - thumping, whipping sounds, chains rattling.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
I have new neighbours, they bought their house just before lockdown. They've partied all through lockdown. Each one is a 'one off', they've had over 20 since April. We have different versions of one offs. And for what ever reason, they come as close to my house as possible and as far away from theirs as possible as they don't want the neighbours at the back seeing what they do. I said I don't want to hear them, but it's made no difference. Theyre both teachers too, which baffles me. So, we're putting our house on the market. Can't phone the police as I would have to declare it on the house moving form... but once out of lockdown I reckon they'll go to weekly outside parties.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
I have new neighbours, they bought their house just before lockdown. They've partied all through lockdown. Each one is a 'one off', they've had over 20 since April. We have different versions of one offs. And for what ever reason, they come as close to my house as possible and as far away from theirs as possible as they don't want the neighbours at the back seeing what they do. I said I don't want to hear them, but it's made no difference. Theyre both teachers too, which baffles me. So, we're putting our house on the market. Can't phone the police as I would have to declare it on the house moving form... but once out of lockdown I reckon they'll go to weekly outside parties.
I'd tell them to pack it in otherwise I would be calling the the Police and it may end up going on their DBS check under "other information". This will stop them sharpish I'm telling you.

Reactions: 3
Having loud parties all the time is quite selfish anyway but to do it during lockdown... complete idiots. Could you call the police anonymously?

Reactions: 5
We've said once we move we will be letting their schools know. We have video and photographic evidence if proof is asked for. I hadn't even thought of the information going on their DBS's checks, thanks for that! I'll also be making it clear to other neighbours, as when I confronted them last year, they slagged a few of the other neighbours off. So I'm getting outta here (need to move closer to my aging inlaws anyway), I'll be letting each neighbour know what they've said and leave them all to it. Its been great living here for the past 16 years, but it only takes one selfish person to ruin it, doesn't it?

I think these are 2 young adults, they have no children. I do realise it's been difficult with a lockdown, but, they're teachers!! When every parent is tit scared to send their kids back to school and these two have had groups of people around weekly. The worst was 6 naked people in a hot tub...although my 16yr old son didn't mind the naked ladies too much.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 4
We also have or had the "Phantom cougher", I had no idea who it is but it would come from the old houses opposite which has predominantly elderly. It was a very loud, hacking cough that would go on ALL day and all night, constantly, if it was window open weather up until earlier this year.
My friends had a neighbour who coughed (and phlegmed up) all the live long day. He lived underneath them and I think he had a drink problem. They went outside one morning to take their bins and and found him passed out in the bin shed. One day he disappeared and then they got a family who kept their toddlers in a cage 😳

Neighbour on the right, I’ll call him Bill.
Bill was about late 60’s and would always bring our wheely bins on the street when it was bin day. We thought it was cute at first but one day he knocked on our door and asked my housemate to move her car off the drive as he couldn’t reach our bins😂
Another time I went out to my car and found Bill rubbing T-cut all down the side of it over all the scratches that I’d made over the years.
Our Landlord and Bill (both retired I assumed) would always patrol the street and look out for things they could “fix”. We once saw them both on the roof fixing roof tiles of a random house across the street.
Not sure about the random repairs but a neighbour who would help with bins would be heavenly. I share recycling bins with other flats and it seems separating paper from cans/glass/plastic seems to be too much for some people. Not to mention not putting food waste/domestic rubbish in with the recycling. Drives me up the bleeping wall. Do I really want to be picking through the recycling to retrieve your KFC cartons? But if I don’t they won’t get emptied.

Plus zero common sense about waiting for the recycling bins to be emptied before trying to add more recycling - it’s like some ridiculous game of rubbish jenga. And of course it all gets strewn all over the driveway which they won’t pick up.

Yesterday, I saw one set of neighbours putting their recycling in the bins which had been left by the bin men on the pavement and blocking the entrance to the driveway. They then wandered off to wherever they were going - no thought to actually moving them back.

Cannot wait to move and be in a house rather than a flat! One quick question for those of you mentioning declaring disputes with neighbours on the legal pack: I haven’t had any arguments with neighbours past or present although have complained about some previous tenants (thankfully long gone) to the freeholder. Presumably this doesn’t need to be declared as they’ve left? Everyone is fine now aside from small annoyances about their use of bins and lack of common sense 😂

• Wow

I was in a new build apartment once. It didn't hear much from below, I could certainly hear his farts, sex life and poor music choices all clear as day from above. Maybe if no one was living above you, a flat would be fine. However you will have to equally aware you may end up with a sensitive bastard down below.

For instance I know a woman from my recovery courses I had to do pair work with, bit of a hermit, has OCD and some other serious mental health problems. She is convinced her neighbours noises cause her so much hell she has invested in ear plugs! I have been in her home while they demonstrated this noise, which seemed no more than a subtle bump of what sounds like children playing in the evening. If anything, it was quiet! But she made this huge fuss and regularly constructs letters to the council. She often complains of not liking living "next door to people like them" and they are an Asian family. If someone could play Karen in a film, she would wear the role. There is always the risk of a complainer too.

My friend had a noisy neighbour who would come in some nights in the early hours and play music. She wouldn’t/couldn’t go to sleep any night, waiting for the music to start. Some nights it didn’t but she was still affected. I think though her neighbour was inconsiderate, she made the problem worse for herself.

Oh :( Well now I don’t know what to do, lol. I wish I could afford a detached where I am - although I’d settle for a flat with thick walls, it’s not an easy thing to confirm whilst viewing!
When you view places, tap on the joining walls to try and gauge how hollow they are. I've always found newer style buildings made of plaster board mainly to be crap and you hear everything. Older buildings with little insulation aren't great as you have found. It's a tricky one because even having an old chimney between the houses will carry noise, even if it's been blocked up. My next house i buy is going to be detached 😄

Reactions: 7

We are in a newish build...built around 7 years ago we are second owners.
We can hear next doors toddlers running round downstairs on the laminate. Not really arsed tbh but its when the parents are banging around gone 11pm that drives me a bit daft. Constant thud thud thud followed by what can only be described as like rolling sounds accross the floor. Wierdos...

• Haha
  • Sad

Before my current flat I lived in a purpose built block that was built in 2004 I think so not super modern but newish - it was great for noise we barely heard our neighbours. Occasionally we’d hear the hoover or washing machine but never talking or music unless it was really loud.

Reactions: 4

I live in a block of flats built in 2015 and I've never heard my neighbours on either side of us or above us. Our bedroom shares a wall with our neighbour's little girl, who was a baby when we all moved in. Never ever heard her cry at night. Huge difference compared to the Edwardian conversion we lived in before!

Reactions: 2
Before my current flat I lived in a purpose built block that was built in 2004 I think so not super modern but newish - it was great for noise we barely heard our neighbours. Occasionally we’d hear the hoover or washing machine but never talking or music unless it was really loud.
This is exactly what I need! You’ve given me some reassurance, thank you.

I live in a block of flats built in 2015 and I've never heard my neighbours on
Can I move in with you? :ROFLMAO: the dream!

Can I move in with you? :ROFLMAO: the dream!
Haha, unfortunately I contributed to this thread earlier about the twats living above us who use our garden as their wheelie bin. 😭 I've never had a Tattle post that's had as many reactions. 😂

Pleased to report that we're due to move in a month though. 💃💃💃

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.