Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The thing is though, in many houses the walls are far too thin. Some people really cannot tolerate other people‘s noise, especially loud music. Music travels very well through walls, almost too well.

What is your neighbour like ordinarily? Maybe he is just sensitive to louder noise, but otherwise a nice chap.
That's what it's like here, next door has his tv so loud when he's playing xbox/PlayStation. I turn my tv up 3 or 4 times louder than usual to drown it out. The walls are thin enough I can hear when his washing machine is on, he probably doesn't realise I can hear his tv 🤷‍♀️

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
well if he’s so sensitive to music to the point of running outside when a car pulls up on the street with music playing and runs out to tell them off he should consider living in rural countryside? So I’m not allowed to play music at all because he doesn’t like it? Never seen them or met them otherwise, we moved in a couple of months ago, not exactly the way I’d behave towards new neighbours if someone just moved in!
I didn’t say you were not allowed to play music. I mentioned that he may not be tolerant of it.

Maybe just knock on his door and properly introduce yourself. You never know he may be quite affable, in which case you should get along a whole lot better.

That's what it's like here, next door has his tv so loud when he's playing xbox/PlayStation. I turn my tv up 3 or 4 times louder than usual to drown it out. The walls are thin enough I can hear when his washing machine is on, he probably doesn't realise I can hear his tv 🤷‍♀️
My last house, the walls were very thin. I could hear my neighbours having conversations, their washing machine, all sorts. However, we got along very well and they were lovely people, which made asking them to be a bit quiet when I was selling my house so much easier. 🤣🤣 They were very sad when I moved out because they said I had been the perfect neighbour as I never made much noise.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My last house, the walls were very thin. I could hear my neighbours having conversations, their washing machine, all sorts.
My last house was like that too, conversations, could hear the water from the kitchen tap, kettle (kitchen seemed to be the worst room). I'm glad this house isn't as bad but the tv does get to me at times.

Reactions: 1
i used to work at customer service for a furniture company and a neighbour took delivery of i believe a couch and wouldn't give it to the actual customer 😂 we ended up sending them a replacement and tracking delivery so that it doesn't end up at the couch kidnapper's place again, crazy

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Maybe you could mention it when you next see your neighbour. Say something like, “blimey the walls are so thin here aren’t they?” See what his reaction is.

When I first moved into my previous house I noticed their noise pretty quickly. They also had laminate flooring too which did not absorb any noise, carpets are better for doing that. He wasn’t the best person to be welcoming to new neighbours, but his grown up kids were nice. Anyhow after about a month I came home from work one day to find my front grass had been mowed. Turns out it was my neighbour, offering an olive branch, which I took. We had been friends ever since and would often chat over the garden fence. He would always mention if him and his brood had made too much racket and he apologised. But as we both said, “you gotta live next to each other, but also have got to be respectful too.”

They were a lovely family and we all hugged our goodbyes when I left.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
So my next door neighbours had stinky wheelie bins. One day I couldnt take it anymore. After the bin men had been I got a huge bucket of hot water and little bit of bleach and put it in their wheelie bin. Scrubbed it out with the brush I use for my bins and emptied it out and rinsed it with my hose. I was doing mine anyway so I thought I may as well. I didn't even think they would notice because I thought they were at work.
Later that day I get a knock on the door and it is Mr. NextDoor. He says Mrs. NextDoor had been crying all morning because I had embarrassed her by cleaning her bins. He said that the fact that I sweep my path everyday and wash my front door and door step and bin every week was ridiculous and I was clearly doing it to show up my neighbours! And that cleaning someone else's bins was harassment!
Some people I tell this story to are completely on their side. I was actually trying to save them embarrassment! I didn't want to knock on their door and tell them to clean their stinking bins. I just wanted to be able to walk out of my house without smelling their manky bins 😂 what do you all think?
this has had me absolutely howling. the 'crying all morning" bit I can't breathe 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 I get being shamed (I probably would be and I'd be worried my neighbour thought I was a manky witch) but I wouldn't be crying about it! Harassment🤣
Smelly bin is the worst though. It's up there with dog tit and fish.

What do the people who are on their side say?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
So my next door neighbours had stinky wheelie bins. One day I couldnt take it anymore. After the bin men had been I got a huge bucket of hot water and little bit of bleach and put it in their wheelie bin. Scrubbed it out with the brush I use for my bins and emptied it out and rinsed it with my hose. I was doing mine anyway so I thought I may as well. I didn't even think they would notice because I thought they were at work.
Later that day I get a knock on the door and it is Mr. NextDoor. He says Mrs. NextDoor had been crying all morning because I had embarrassed her by cleaning her bins. He said that the fact that I sweep my path everyday and wash my front door and door step and bin every week was ridiculous and I was clearly doing it to show up my neighbours! And that cleaning someone else's bins was harassment!
Some people I tell this story to are completely on their side. I was actually trying to save them embarrassment! I didn't want to knock on their door and tell them to clean their stinking bins. I just wanted to be able to walk out of my house without smelling their manky bins 😂 what do you all think?
Creasing!!!!! If my neighbours did my bin I’d love it I don’t mind out sourcing jobs to people 😀 me and my neighbours get on tho we always do each other’s stuff just to be helpful we don’t get insulted. If they haven’t dragged there bin out the night before bin men come I’ll do it an vice Verza. That’s hilarious cried over it I’d just text them an say THANKS 😄 can wash my car too

• Haha
Reactions: 6
this has had me absolutely howling. the 'crying all morning" bit I can't breathe 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 I get being shamed (I probably would be and I'd be worried my neighbour thought I was a manky witch) but I wouldn't be crying about it! Harassment🤣
Smelly bin is the worst though. It's up there with dog tit and fish.

What do the people who are on their side say?
I told my MIL and she said "well everyone's wheelie bins smell" (haha I secretly wash her bins regularly)
And my friend said I should have just asked them to sort the bins out but I think that would be far more awkward!

• Haha
I told my MIL and she said "well everyone's wheelie bins smell" (haha I secretly wash her bins regularly)
And my friend said I should have just asked them to sort the bins out but I think that would be far more awkward!
god you're a phantom bin washer 🤣 🤣
You could have asked but realistically you've saved them the job if you had have asked!
Telling someone their bins stink is way worse, and they could have not done anything about it so now it's awk and the bins still stink. Cleaning them yourself means they're at least clean. Still awk, but got what you wanted so 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
god you're a phantom bin washer 🤣 🤣
You could have asked but realistically you've saved them the job if you had have asked!
Telling someone their bins stink is way worse, and they could have not done anything about it so now it's awk and the bins still stink. Cleaning them yourself means they're at least clean. Still awk, but got what you wanted so 🤷‍♀️
Oh god I am like the cleaning ninja! I go round my in laws and my mums and clean the fridge, bins, bath, doors etc quite often (when there isnt a pandemic) I am so glad you see it the way I do 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Oh god I am like the cleaning ninja! I go round my in laws and my mums and clean the fridge, bins, bath, doors etc quite often (when there isnt a pandemic) I am so glad you see it the way I do 😂
oh tbf there is nothing worse than a dirty fridge! I give mine a weekly wash (day before shopping day) and wash my shelves and drawers. My parents have a habit of not cleaning out the old tit in their fridge so there's sauces etc from 2018! I wait for them to go on holiday and do a mass sort out and then chuck all the shelves and drawers through the dishwasher.

That and a dirty sink, shower and toilet. I don't understand how people can wash themselves/dishes, brush their teeth, or put their genitals near something that is stinking! I can't cope with it!

• Heart
oh tbf there is nothing worse than a dirty fridge! I give mine a weekly wash (day before shopping day) and wash my shelves and drawers. My parents have a habit of not cleaning out the old tit in their fridge so there's sauces etc from 2018! I wait for them to go on holiday and do a mass sort out and then chuck all the shelves and drawers through the dishwasher.

That and a dirty sink, shower and toilet. I don't understand how people can wash themselves/dishes, brush their teeth, or put their genitals near something that is stinking! I can't cope with it!
We are kindred spirits ❤❤

Apparently my neighbours have turned nocturnal recently and like watching loud TV and playing music at 4am 🤦‍♀️ I know it’s Christmas but some of us are still working!!!!

• Sad
I used to live in an ex local authority flat (only 2 flats in the block upstairs downstairs each with their own front door type) I was upstairs and the walls there were paper thin I could hear neighbours tv all night, him walking around etc, now live in a well built new build, walls are not thin can’t hear washing machines or anything. New neighbour is just a boring twit

Reactions: 3
I used to live in an ex local authority flat (only 2 flats in the block upstairs downstairs each with their own front door type) I was upstairs and the walls there were paper thin I could hear neighbours tv all night, him walking around etc, now live in a well built new build, walls are not thin can’t hear washing machines or anything. New neighbour is just a boring twit
It's the boring ones you should be careful about. For all you know he could be boiling heads like Dennis Nilsen.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I’ve moved house now but used to live next door to a family of travellers who had been kicked off their site as they were that bad.

We had everything from dogs roaming free, kids joy riding and hitting cars on the street, Elvis playing all hours of the day and night, fights where 5 police cars would turn up, they built a bar in their garden and had all the local teens in it, pooing in the car park, there’s loads more! Makes me so happy to have nice, quiet neighbours now!

• Wow
  • Sick
mine is the same as your old flat only privately rented so I get even less help when I complain. My landlord gives zero fucks! I’m looking into new builds for this reason I bet it’s bliss not being able to hear your neighbours fart through the walls

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.