Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve only just found a thread about this particular topic so I am going to read all of your stories once I get chance but, really need some advice lol!

I’ve been having ongoing abuse mostly verbal, intimidation & harassment from our neighbour that’s been going on since around May 2022 to present, now I believe her and her husbands house is a council house and I tried to contact the council regarding it all however alls I keep getting back is there’s nothing they can do. When on their website they literally have a section for anti social behaviour which covers topics we’ve been having to deal with?

things such as, her husband demanding us to open our door & shouting horrible things to us from outside our home because his wife didn’t like my mum parking outside our own home, we were having the roof done & the roofers were using our drive for their materials. Palettes of Tiles, felt, ladders etc. so obviously my mum was parking below the drive, they both didn’t like this at all. & anytime my mum has parked on our drive, she gets blocked in by her friends visiting her (not like partially blocked in, full on she can’t get out.) The woman at the address stares at me and my mum anytime we go out/come in. Like she’ll just stop dead by her door staring at us instead of bloody turning her key & going in.. she just stands staring at us the entire way as we go in. My mum can’t even take the bloody bin out for bin day without her staring at her with a face like thunder

anytime they hear our patio door open, it’s a slidey type door so you can sort of hear it, the two adults will purposely throw things over. At this particular time my mum was going through a c…..r scare. Seconds after she went out the back to bring washing in, she had a pair of soaking wet shorts thrown at her. Then they were sat laughing about it.

I’ve always had a bad feeling since the pair of them moved in, they’ve got three kids but tbh other than the fact she can’t seem to ‘control them’/say ‘don’t do that’ it’s literally the two adults being absolutely awful. They’re so territorial they think our front yard is there’s, her husband literally walks up and down our drive / path to get to their car & back when they have their own yard & designated footpath.? I’ve seen him 3/4 times hanging over our back fence trying to look into our kitchen/dining area. Nothing had come over from the kids btw! he was just doing this to be intimidating. I presume. Obviously made me feel quite uncomfortable!! I put the kitchen blind down. & he was cracking up saying to his wife omg she absolutely ‘freaked out’, reality, I was about to let our dogs out, spotted him with his entire upper half over the fence looking in I frowned sort of like wtaf?? Then put the blind down & told my mum lol..

During having the roof done, scaffolding up etc. my mum has made his wife aware of this weeks beforehand as it seemed the neighbourly thing to do! About a week or so in to the work being done, I’d gone to go to the bin at the front, shut the bin, as I’m turning around I heard their door open, his wife then come out giving me a sh*t ton of abuse! Shouting ‘WHY CANT YOUR MUM PARK ON THE DRIVE YOUVE GOT A DRIVE’….. just to reiterate, this woman’s car is quite cosy in its parking spot outside her own home too. With a empty space infront of her too. & my mums behind hers, outside our house but just not on the drive (as explained)

again, she got her husband involved for whatever reason. He comes driving round the corner like an idiot revving his car next to my mums parked car, stopped briefly whilst revving then sodded off. Stormed up their path and slammed their gate, muttering stuff, they’re constantly slamming doors ridiculous loud, always arguing threatening to call the police on each other, It sounds like nothing but I honestly feel like I’m heading toward a nervous breakdown.

I was made aware by somebody that her husband had in fact been to jail not too long ago, for doing very similar behaviour to a previous neighbour, (abuse, intimidation / witness intimidation) I found the article & I’ve been on edge with it all ever since. They both make me feel so uncomfortable I can’t explain it.. just feel like no matter what we do, we’re being watched, harassed, anytime my window is open & they notice, things will be shouted. Try to avoid opening my window now because I’m fed up of it, Or if we’ve gone out, there windows shut.. they suddenly open their window upon us arriving back to say things once were going back in. It’s all silly small things but it generally builds up & I feel beyond drained with it all. As I say I’ve tried to go to the council but they don’t want to know! I keep getting the same bloke emailing me back with nothing they can do..

The woman has actually hit my mums car before (not major but scuffed) in august 2022, she had a thing for getting insanely close to my mums car when ‘parking’ when as I say, there’s her car, my mums car & then completely empty street until about a good 5/6 houses down a couple more cars, Her husband parks around the corner but if his wife has said something / made up some false story or they’re just wanting to scare us he’ll do things such as rag his car by our house, shout things, slam things, my mums in her 60s & her health isn’t that grand.. our house is our own not council & we don’t want to move as this has been our home since before I was even born. But all this myther off them it’s wearing us down ALOT. I just feel completely unheard with it all, not to mention she openly encourages her eldest son (5/6)? To do / say things, like banging on our wall from the alleyway (shared alley) & running up & down our path/drive, shaking his arse 🫠 she’s always glued to her mobile, she gets out her car and she’s on her phone, she’s obsessed with parking so much so the moment my mum went out & I was in, my mum had only just left our street and she had gone to her car, put her 3 year old on her knee to reverse back to sort of push my mum to park even further down when my mum got back, she does all this bizarre stuff that just seems so childish!! my mum got completely annoyed with everything and decided she was just going to stay parked below the drive now, so since this the neighbour has been parkinf practically up against my mums bumper because she doesn’t like it. There’s even more to this but I feel like I’ve written a lot right now 😂😂😂
Don't go to the council, go to the police and make an official complaint. Keep a log of every incident. Even better if you can get them on camera/recordings of the harassment etc. Mention that you've been made aware that the guy has a history of this/has done jail time for it. He must be downright stupid if he's already been in jail for this and is doing it again. Maybe a visit from the police will shut him up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
We're renting a first floor flat for 6 months while our house is having an extension built and I'm also pregnant. Our downstairs neighbours are so loud, the walls are paper thing but you can literally hear everything. They argue loads shouting so much, we can hear nearly everything. One night they played music and were laughing then arguing and then having noisy sex ALL night! I'm not even joking, my husband heard them having sex at 5.20am. Because of how aggressive they sound when arguing I wouldn't want to knock on and ask them to turn their music or TV down. We can't even really figure out who it is, cos we're above them we never see them.

But it's really getting me down, I can't wait to be back home enough as it is. It feels suffocating, at least I know there's an end in sight but I really feel for anyone in a situation with long term awful neighbours!

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I've mentioned my neighbour on another thread before but I want to put it here as well as we are having a hell of a time with him. I'll try and keep it brief. He is the last house of three, we are in the middle and his house is still council owned but it was his Mum and Dad living there but they did a midnight flit about 2 years ago and he arrived. He's a big drug dealer, always got people after him - he's just a total waste. He's also got two huge dogs that are trained to attack. Here is a quick run down of the things that happen.
- Dogs left alone, sometimes for up to two days, all they do is bark in that time. When he is there the dogs are out at all hours barking and you've got to listen to him screaming at them.
- He recently has got himself a motorbike which he revs the engine of for up to an hour at a time, sometimes well into the night. He's also drives the motorbike on the pavements.
- Multiple, almost daily drug deals from his house
- Threats to my wife and I, once that he was going to petrol bomb us. He also has kicked my car on a number of occasions.
- We had to get a new fence put up last year because his dogs were able to jump our old one and come after us and our own dog.

Now, all of this has been reported to the police, the council and the RSPCA but nothing ever comes of it. The police say report it to the council, the council say report it to the police weren't even interested when I phoned them to report the time when one of his dogs bit me. When he first moved in and the police started to attend his address it was obvious he was well known to them and they would just say "behave yourself" and that would be it.

I just don't know what to do next, I also know it isn't just us reporting him but a number of other neighbours nearby are doing it as well. I just don't understand why after over two years of just constant mayhem from him, he is still allowed to stay there.

Sorry for the long rant. Needed to get that off my chest.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Are there any renters on this thread?
All the times I’ve rented I’ve been really limited to what I could do in terms of DIY. The people who have moved next door have been doing a lot of drilling etc to the point I’m genuinely concerned with the state the landlord is going to get the house back in.
Last week they bought some concrete- there’s nothing wrong with the driveway (no potholes etc) so I’m fairly sure the only thing they could be using it for is to pour concrete over the front lawn to extend the driveway. Aside from the fact that I’m fairly sure if it’s a diy job, the dude who’s doing it is going to be drunk, surely no landlord would allow a tenant do do their own concrete driveway? Also the land boundary between me and them isn’t clear- we aren’t divided by a fence- if it’s not done by a professional I don’t really trust encroachment. But where would I even stand with that? At what point do I try and reach the landlord?
That surely isn't legal. Are they renting it from an estate agent or privately? I'm renting and not even allowed to put a nail in the wall without asking permission first

Reactions: 3
That surely isn't legal. Are they renting it from an estate agent or privately? I'm renting and not even allowed to put a nail in the wall without asking permission first
They’re renting through an estate agent who manages the property on the behalf of the landlord. Whenever I’ve rented I wasn’t allowed to do anything either.
I ended up calling them a few days ago because they had a delivery of bricks to make a start doing what I presume is a driveway and I wanted to do something about it before they just cracked on. They’ve been digging up bits of the back garden as well. Don’t think the agency had a clue about what they were doing to the property.

Reactions: 1
Iv mentioned before on the previous about my neighbours, this morning she has text me why was my child crying? Considering they have social services involved with their kid and I don’t she’s got no right being so bleeping nosey knowing what I’m doing with my child, seriously starting to piss me off, Iv hated living here since they moved in over a year ago, due to cost of living and house prices it’s not easy to just sell up and move, they also bought their house too and they have no plans of moving either!

We’ve had new neighbours move in on the left of us and they’ve been making none stop noise for weeks. They used a shopping trolley to move into their house and kept leaving it right outside our door even though I care for my cousin who’s in a wheelchair and have a tight squeeze as it is to get out the house. They stood and watched me struggle and didn’t even move their trolley. Anyway, at about 9pm last night they were screaming (no furniture/wooden floor so it was echoing) the screaming was getting louder and louder and then music witn heavy bass got added to the mix. After a constant fifty minutes of this I grew tired and knocked on their door, no answer. I went upto bed shortly after and while I was pulling my duvet back my small Vaseline flew off the bedside table and onto the floor. About twenty seconds later they started banging my wall down. I’m furious there’s a big difference between me attempting to ask for some consideration and a small object causing an accident

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
They’re renting through an estate agent who manages the property on the behalf of the landlord. Whenever I’ve rented I wasn’t allowed to do anything either.
I ended up calling them a few days ago because they had a delivery of bricks to make a start doing what I presume is a driveway and I wanted to do something about it before they just cracked on. They’ve been digging up bits of the back garden as well. Don’t think the agency had a clue about what they were doing to the property.
The other thing you could do is contact the council planning enforcement team if you think they are adding an additional drive/entrance as there may be planning restrictions. It doesn’t sound like there are from you have said (i think you said open plan joint front verge). But the council/highways don’t like additional entrances to the road for the obvious effect it has on road safety (in some areas). They wont care if they are renting as it will be related to the property and they will just contact the property owner direct.

The other thing you could do is contact the council planning enforcement team if you think they are adding an additional drive/entrance as there may be planning restrictions. It doesn’t sound like there are from you have said (i think you said open plan joint front verge). But the council/highways don’t like additional entrances to the road for the obvious effect it has on road safety (in some areas). They wont care if they are renting as it will be related to the property and they will just contact the property owner direct.
I called the council and they recommended the same as you. So I’ve sent an email to the planning dept just incase. The person from the council said they’d still need planning permission if they’re planning on going across the footpath to get onto the driveway (if they build it).
The bricks are still there on the driveway and they seem to have moved on to other DIY projects. Like digging a large vertical hole in the garden…in the dark.

• Haha
I called the council and they recommended the same as you. So I’ve sent an email to the planning dept just incase. The person from the council said they’d still need planning permission if they’re planning on going across the footpath to get onto the driveway (if they build it).
The bricks are still there on the driveway and they seem to have moved on to other DIY projects. Like digging a large vertical hole in the garden…in the dark.
Might be the morbid in me but are they doing something dodgy? Cement and digging holes randomly rings some alarm bells in my head… I’d be keeping a close lookout for a body!

Reactions: 3
I had issues with my next door neighbour and the people who live at the end of my garden since lockdown mainly letting their kids come into my garden and noise (kids screaming while they “play”) I privately rent both neighbours are council. The people down the bottom put up a fence over the weekend and it looks awful my side they did it themselves. I have complained about the trespassing to the council before and they didn’t care I even installed a security camera in my garden which the neighbours kicked off about invading their privacy (I’m only filming in my garden). The people down the bottom landing window looks into my living room and they are always starring into my house for long periods of time. I don’t even want to leave the house anymore because of the neighbours (I suffer with agoraphobia) the only place I felt safe outside was my garden I don’t even feel safe inside my house without being watched either. Sorry just venting but does anyone know what I can do about the fence I guess if I tried to put screening up to cover the mess they will say I’m damaging the fence.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I live in a Victorian Terrace with on street parking. We don’t need permits or anything and outside mine we’re dead lucky cos across the road is the backs of peoples houses, so loads of space and then there’s also side street which has no houses on it, just a wall either side which is around peoples gardens. So if anyone goes in your usual space there’s loads in the very near vicinity.

I wrote on here ages ago about my neighbour banging on the walls one evening cos my Alexa dot was playing at volume 4. I banged back cos I’d had a few drinks and was just feeling petty tbh. She came and knocked on the next morning to basically ask me to apologise to her, and clear the air. She said if I’m ever having music on again to text her and she’ll go and stay somewhere else. Very dramatic but she gave her number and left. From then until 2 weeks ago I was only at the house every now and then because I stayed with my boyfriend a lot. The last 3 months the place was empty, just had my car parked outside mine. In the last two weeks we’ve moved in to the house full time.

The other day me and my bf arrived back from work in his car together and she was outside in the street chatting to some man, she didn’t look up when I walked past so I didn’t let on. Then my bf walks past after locking his car and such and she goes hiii, please could you move this car, mines broken down and I need that space free for a jump start, gesturing at the car she knows is mine 😂 he gestured to me and I said hi yes I can move the car. Moved it then about 10 mins later she knocks on, my bf answers and she says it’s fine to put it back where it was now, then she knocks again a few mins later and tells him don’t move it back she will get someone out who needs the space in the morning. Fine by us but it is a public road.

Quite a few times someone’s parked in-front of mine, or she’s parked awkwardly so my car doesn’t fit properly and I have to go elsewhere. Never been an issue cos as I said there’s loads of space around the houses. Yesterday we’re in having a lazy day and she knocks on the door to ask us to move our cars so she can put hers directly outside her door 😳 I get it that you’d rather be there but she’s in and out constantly and so are we, and there was already a gap there she’d driven out of, she just couldn’t kerb park in the gap her car had left. My bf said yeah sure, moved his forward and then he was peaking out of the bedroom window and she was having an absolute stinker and couldn’t get her car in the bigger gap so she ended up having to park further away past the car she asked my bf to move.

I know it sounds proper minor but I really cba with this amount of knocking on the door and asking us to do stuff. Asking us to move the car alone would’ve been no issue at all but the way she blanked me when she fully knows it’s my car made it so weird. She’s about 20 years older than us (we’re 27), lives alone and only seems to have a problem with me at the moment. She’s making me feel quite uncomfortable and the amount she’s knocked on the past week reminds my bf of this psycho neighbour he had when he was a kid. I’ve said let’s not answer the door to her again but how else do we deter a busybody neighbour from knocking on 24/7 😱 I half feel like I’m the weird neighbour but then I remember all I’ve done is park outside mine and listen to music 😂

• Wow
I live in a Victorian Terrace with on street parking. We don’t need permits or anything and outside mine we’re dead lucky cos across the road is the backs of peoples houses, so loads of space and then there’s also side street which has no houses on it, just a wall either side which is around peoples gardens. So if anyone goes in your usual space there’s loads in the very near vicinity.

I wrote on here ages ago about my neighbour banging on the walls one evening cos my Alexa dot was playing at volume 4. I banged back cos I’d had a few drinks and was just feeling petty tbh. She came and knocked on the next morning to basically ask me to apologise to her, and clear the air. She said if I’m ever having music on again to text her and she’ll go and stay somewhere else. Very dramatic but she gave her number and left. From then until 2 weeks ago I was only at the house every now and then because I stayed with my boyfriend a lot. The last 3 months the place was empty, just had my car parked outside mine. In the last two weeks we’ve moved in to the house full time.

The other day me and my bf arrived back from work in his car together and she was outside in the street chatting to some man, she didn’t look up when I walked past so I didn’t let on. Then my bf walks past after locking his car and such and she goes hiii, please could you move this car, mines broken down and I need that space free for a jump start, gesturing at the car she knows is mine 😂 he gestured to me and I said hi yes I can move the car. Moved it then about 10 mins later she knocks on, my bf answers and she says it’s fine to put it back where it was now, then she knocks again a few mins later and tells him don’t move it back she will get someone out who needs the space in the morning. Fine by us but it is a public road.

Quite a few times someone’s parked in-front of mine, or she’s parked awkwardly so my car doesn’t fit properly and I have to go elsewhere. Never been an issue cos as I said there’s loads of space around the houses. Yesterday we’re in having a lazy day and she knocks on the door to ask us to move our cars so she can put hers directly outside her door 😳 I get it that you’d rather be there but she’s in and out constantly and so are we, and there was already a gap there she’d driven out of, she just couldn’t kerb park in the gap her car had left. My bf said yeah sure, moved his forward and then he was peaking out of the bedroom window and she was having an absolute stinker and couldn’t get her car in the bigger gap so she ended up having to park further away past the car she asked my bf to move.

I know it sounds proper minor but I really cba with this amount of knocking on the door and asking us to do stuff. Asking us to move the car alone would’ve been no issue at all but the way she blanked me when she fully knows it’s my car made it so weird. She’s about 20 years older than us (we’re 27), lives alone and only seems to have a problem with me at the moment. She’s making me feel quite uncomfortable and the amount she’s knocked on the past week reminds my bf of this psycho neighbour he had when he was a kid. I’ve said let’s not answer the door to her again but how else do we deter a busybody neighbour from knocking on 24/7 😱 I half feel like I’m the weird neighbour but then I remember all I’ve done is park outside mine and listen to music 😂
i sympathise with you soooo much I’m in a very similar situation our houses sound the exact same!! The walls are paper thin which people should consider before they move in like I can hear both sides of my neighbours tv/music etc but as long as they’re not taking the piss I honestly don’t care coz it’s expected in older houses like these. She needs to get a grip I’d start keeping a diary coz she’sharassing you

Oh my god am I glad I found this thread !!
So we moved into our flat about 6months ago now, parking did not come with the property but as it's in a close you can pretty much park anywhere that states 'residents only'.
For the first couple months, we were able to park right outside our flat, but for the past month or so a builders van has started parking which takes up nearly 2 spaces (which means myself and my partner can no longer park here). With this said, within the close there is a small car park which is also for residents - it has one disabled space, and the rest are normal spaces for residents only.
So, baring in mind our usual parking space has been taken up, we now park in the car park - since we have, cars have been parking purposely across two spaces to not allow us to park, leaving crappy notes on our cars about 'residents only' parking, blocking us in, and also threatening to drive into our cars if we park here again.

We are only renting, and we are unsure if the other properties in our close are council - there are no specific parking spaces for houses, its just whoever gets there first takes it!

Any advice / tips on what we can do? We've contacted the Landlord but they can't do anything or give us advice :/

@Pinhead Larry i can’t believe she said that about you having music on 😂 so effin dramatic. Is she single by any chance? I mean, so am I, but maybe she doesn’t have much going on in her life, so she focuses on what you’re doing.

• Haha
@Pinhead Larry i can’t believe she said that about you having music on 😂 so effin dramatic. Is she single by any chance? I mean, so am I, but maybe she doesn’t have much going on in her life, so she focuses on what you’re doing.
Yeah I think she is, I’ve never seen anyone apart from her go in to the house. I kind of thought that too (obvs not in a rude way to anyone single, I loved single life). I wonder if cos I moved here alone and I’m a lot younger than her she saw me as an easy target for her outbursts 😂 There was a family of 3 who lived here before me, I always wonder what she was like with them

I've lived in my flat for 15 years and my downstairs neighbour, who was perfect, moved out and now we have new neighbours. They are in their 40s and we keep hearing them having sex. At least 7 times in a week, you'd think they were spring chickens! They also keep moving things around, like constantly, whenever they're in you can hear furniture moving and them dropping things on the floor. We can also hear them doing what sounds like bowling. He's so loud, I can hear him talking whenever he's in. They smoke weed and the smell is coming up into our flat. They are upsetting the person in the flat below them too and others in the building are complaining about them. We've all lived here, peacefully, for years. Some of the residents have parties but any music stops at 11pm or midnight and they keep the noise down.

I've complained to the council and they've started the noise abatement process because the noises are at all hours, they can go quiet at 2.30am and start up again at 4.30am. I don't know where they get the energy because I'm exhausted with it. I'm not sleeping properly with it all. Last night they went out at about 9pm and they've not come back yet so it's been quiet but I struggled to sleep because I was worried they'd wake me when they got in.

I'm worrying about the future, too. In the summer, I like to have my balcony door open in the evening and I'm thinking if they sit out on it smoking weed, my flat will stink of it. Why can't people be considerate? I don't expect them to be silent, although, I never heard my old neighbour, but I do expect them to be aware they have neighbours above, below and to one side of them and keep the noise down.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Yeah I think she is, I’ve never seen anyone apart from her go in to the house. I kind of thought that too (obvs not in a rude way to anyone single, I loved single life). I wonder if cos I moved here alone and I’m a lot younger than her she saw me as an easy target for her outbursts 😂 There was a family of 3 who lived here before me, I always wonder what she was like with them
maybe just tell her politely to stop knocking on the door

You need a ring doorbell. Dont answer the door to her. Just because your door knocks doesnt mean you have to answer it. She will get bored and go away

• Heart
I have a ring doorbell and it does really come in handy.
I think in the last thread i mentioned that there was someone who walks their dog in my street (who knows why cos it leads to a dead end and there’s grassy areas nearby). Before the doorbell I used to see it occasionally but then I got the doorbell and it turned out it was almost daily and sometimes he was even on my driveway late at night. Anyway this time I caught him letting his dog pee in my garden and went out to ask him not to. He tried to make out this was the first time he’d been on my garden so I disagreed and said that it happens regular and I’ve even seen him up my driveway. Which led to the whole “no I haven’t, where’s your proof” so I pointed at the doorbell and showed him the images. So far it’s not happened again, but if that situation had escalated I would have had evidence to send to the council.

Reactions: 13