Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Been a while since I’ve ranted on here..

I feel like I’m at breaking point now and am seriously considering asking family if I can move back home and sell my flat. I was sent home from work today due to laryngitis, I managed to get a few hours sleep but my downstairs neighbours have been having a party since around lunchtime. Music blasting in the living room with an extra speaker out the back so it’s echoing all throughout the building. Kids paddling pool full of beer cans and cigarettes. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to end any time soon and I can’t even call the non emergency police line as I literally have no voice at all.

It’s been almost 3 years of hell. I think it’s time to admit defeat. It’s time to acknowledge just how depressed I am living here. I can’t afford to sell and buy anywhere new as I stupidly took out loans to help with renovation costs and with the current cost of living going up I’m only just getting by. I’m due a little bit of a pay rise this year but not enough to make a difference. If I sell and move back home I’d be cutting my outgoings significantly and could pay off debts quicker and be able to save money to put towards somewhere new.

I don’t really want to be 30 and moving back home but it seems like my only option.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
There are currently 9 kids standing in my neighbours driveway right next to mine. Hottest day of the year so every window open and my bedroom is at the front of the house.

One just said why are we sitting here let's go to the ditch which is some massive shrubs which from an enclosure. Why cant they stay over there permanently!

I feel like I’m at breaking point now and am seriously considering asking family if I can move back home and sell my flat. I was sent home from work today due to laryngitis, I managed to get a few hours sleep but my downstairs neighbours have been having a party since around lunchtime. Music blasting in the living room with an extra speaker out the back so it’s echoing all throughout the building. Kids paddling pool full of beer cans and cigarettes. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to end any time soon and I can’t even call the non emergency police line as I literally have no voice at all.

It’s been almost 3 years of hell. I think it’s time to admit defeat. It’s time to acknowledge just how depressed I am living here. I can’t afford to sell and buy anywhere new as I stupidly took out loans to help with renovation costs and with the current cost of living going up I’m only just getting by. I’m due a little bit of a pay rise this year but not enough to make a difference. If I sell and move back home I’d be cutting my outgoings significantly and could pay off debts quicker and be able to save money to put towards somewhere new.

I don’t really want to be 30 and moving back home but it seems like my only option.
I have considered selling my home too. I have it almost 5 years. The first two years I did some small renovation but i havent done too much since as its the last 3 years that the kids/noise have become a nuisance. I am currently getting some work done at the moment and it kills me because I think I may just end up selling it. I hope it is at lwast adding value. Hopefully your work has too!

I can only commiserate/sympathise that others feel the same. I think that helps me. I drive through my estate and no other house has a bunch of kids outside and feel so jealous.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5

I am so sorry to hear this. If it is compromising your mental health you need to make the jump and sell IMO.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

I am so sorry to hear this. If it is compromising your mental health you need to make the jump and sell IMO.
I agree.
There is no shame in moving back home.
Things aren’t going to improve there so cut your losses and sell up.
Life is too short to be unhappy, especially in your own home - your home should be your sanctuary not a place to be endured.
I do understand. At our last home we had a dreadful neighbour. I didn’t realise how much it had affected me mentally until we returned home from a holiday. The second we pulled onto our driveway I felt the weight of the world on my shoulders. It shocked me. My safe place became a place I didn’t want to be.
We sold up. Once we moved several people told me that there was a huge change in me (I was unaware) and that they had got “me” back at last.
Never underestimate the impact bad neighbours have on your health.
Speak to your parents today and if they are willing, then please move in with them.
We have this perfect ideal in our heads about milestones - e.g. home at X age, married at 30, kids at 35 - but life isn’t like that. We are all different so shouldn’t compare to others.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sorry for the long post - hope it doesn’t come across as a lecture but I know how it affected me mentally and it’s just not worth it.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

This sounds horrific, I feel so bad for you. Have you considered moving back home and trying to rent it? This would be better than losing money by selling it immediately

Reactions: 10
Thank you everyone. I’m on the same page as all of you and completely understand that I need to get out for the sake of my own mental health. This will only get better if I remove myself from the situation. I’m still unwell with laryngitis at the moment but will be speaking with family once I’m better again.

The party lasted until around 4am. If I wasn’t unwell I would’ve had to be up for work at 6am. It’s not even as if it was the weekend, it was a Wednesday night ffs. She doesn’t work and although I don’t know if there are certain medical or mental health conditions preventing her from working, she has absolutely no consideration for those of us that do have to go out and make a living. She doesn’t even have consideration for her own daughter that lives with her. She’s without a doubt the worst neighbour I have but the rest aren’t exactly rainbows and sunshine either. I live in a block of 6 where one is a drug dealer and deals to Ms hole downstairs. My neighbour directly above has a teenage son that screams and shouts at his video games at all hours of the day and night and throws fits of rage, throwing stuff at the floor which is my ceiling and makes no attempt to ask him to calm down. The neighbours I share a floor with have young kids who also throw fits of rage which I could forgive due to their age, but they let them litter the hallway and use chalk to redecorate but don’t wash it away afterwards meaning it gets all over your shoes and makes a complete mess of everything. I could honestly go on forever about the problems I’ve had living here.

Renting out unfortunately isn’t an option as I used a help to buy scheme to purchase the property where the government ‘own’ a small percentage. It’s not shared ownership, the property is completely in my name but the amount the government put in went down more as a deposit. I would have to pay that money back and remortgage if I wanted to rent it out but in all honesty I’d rather sell and never look back.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Thank you everyone. I’m on the same page as all of you and completely understand that I need to get out for the sake of my own mental health. This will only get better if I remove myself from the situation. I’m still unwell with laryngitis at the moment but will be speaking with family once I’m better again.

The party lasted until around 4am. If I wasn’t unwell I would’ve had to be up for work at 6am. It’s not even as if it was the weekend, it was a Wednesday night ffs. She doesn’t work and although I don’t know if there are certain medical or mental health conditions preventing her from working, she has absolutely no consideration for those of us that do have to go out and make a living. She doesn’t even have consideration for her own daughter that lives with her. She’s without a doubt the worst neighbour I have but the rest aren’t exactly rainbows and sunshine either. I live in a block of 6 where one is a drug dealer and deals to Ms hole downstairs. My neighbour directly above has a teenage son that screams and shouts at his video games at all hours of the day and night and throws fits of rage, throwing stuff at the floor which is my ceiling and makes no attempt to ask him to calm down. The neighbours I share a floor with have young kids who also throw fits of rage which I could forgive due to their age, but they let them litter the hallway and use chalk to redecorate but don’t wash it away afterwards meaning it gets all over your shoes and makes a complete mess of everything. I could honestly go on forever about the problems I’ve had living here.

Renting out unfortunately isn’t an option as I used a help to buy scheme to purchase the property where the government ‘own’ a small percentage. It’s not shared ownership, the property is completely in my name but the amount the government put in went down more as a deposit. I would have to pay that money back and remortgage if I wanted to rent it out but in all honesty I’d rather sell and never look back.
I am so sorry sweetheart.
Are the problem properties owned or rented?

Reactions: 1
I am so sorry sweetheart.
Are the problem properties owned or rented?
They are rented. The one I have most problems with who is directly below me is private rented, I have the details regarding the person who owns the property but have held back on getting in touch as I know that becomes a sticky situation when trying to sell. The rest I believe are council rented. There’s one other owner who is on the ground floor on the opposite side, she’s a lovely older woman, but is a bit of a pushover tbh and never says anything to the one having constant parties but will happily chat away to her like old friends.

I’ve contacted the council and police over the years but nobody is interested. I got fed up of fighting a losing battle.

Although moving back home does seem like the obvious answer, I do have to remind myself just how miserable I was living at home. I don’t have the best relationship with my family especially when we’re in close proximity for extended periods of time. My other option would be to downsize to a 1 bedroom flat but then I run the risk of having bad neighbours again. It would mean freeing up some money though as 1 beds would obviously be cheaper to buy and I think I’ll make a smallish profit on my current property. I would need to go back and speak to my mortgage adviser though about affordability etc. I’m still on a fixed rate until 2024 and I have absolutely no idea what the current rates are.

My brain is too fried from medication and lack of sleep to think straight right now. Need to make sure I’m in the right frame of mind and have seriously considered ALL options before making any final decisions. Ugh, joys of being an adult😑

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
They are rented. The one I have most problems with who is directly below me is private rented, I have the details regarding the person who owns the property but have held back on getting in touch as I know that becomes a sticky situation when trying to sell. The rest I believe are council rented. There’s one other owner who is on the ground floor on the opposite side, she’s a lovely older woman, but is a bit of a pushover tbh and never says anything to the one having constant parties but will happily chat away to her like old friends.

I’ve contacted the council and police over the years but nobody is interested. I got fed up of fighting a losing battle.

Although moving back home does seem like the obvious answer, I do have to remind myself just how miserable I was living at home. I don’t have the best relationship with my family especially when we’re in close proximity for extended periods of time. My other option would be to downsize to a 1 bedroom flat but then I run the risk of having bad neighbours again. It would mean freeing up some money though as 1 beds would obviously be cheaper to buy and I think I’ll make a smallish profit on my current property. I would need to go back and speak to my mortgage adviser though about affordability etc. I’m still on a fixed rate until 2024 and I have absolutely no idea what the current rates are.

My brain is too fried from medication and lack of sleep to think straight right now. Need to make sure I’m in the right frame of mind and have seriously considered ALL options before making any final decisions. Ugh, joys of being an adult😑
Honestly - get out. You’re miserable and this way of living isn’t sustainable. I’ve lived with horrifying neighbours and it’s just hell, I never felt like I could relax because they could start at any moment. Presentations, weddings, big events where I knew I needed to be on form used to take me into a world of anxiety thinking about if the neighbours decided to have one of their parties.

I moved home for a year. Not going to lie it wasn’t easy but it helped hugely. I knew my parents house was quiet, safe and so I could at least rest and be at some kind of mental peace 🤣 sounds dramatic but you honestly just need quiet sometime. I saved £££, downsized (from a two bed to a one bed) and went for a totally different property (terrace house in a diff location… I also spent £10k to soundproof the bedroom 😔🙄😬). My neighbours here have kids who can be a pain from crying but it’s totally manageable. I’ve got no regrets xz

• Heart
I also spent £10k to soundproof the bedroom 😔🙄😬). My neighbours here have kids who can be a pain from crying but it’s totally manageable. I’ve got no regrets xz
[/QUOTE]

Sorry to butt in but can I ask how you did the soundproofing and how successful it is? We have constant noise from kids outside and installed secondary glazing in the bedroom but it doesn’t make a massive difference 😕 I’ve searched the internet for solutions but never really found anything?

Reactions: 2

I am sorry. It’s just a tit situation all around. It’s wrong that decent human beings should suffer because of the behaviour of a minority.

Honestly - get out. You’re miserable and this way of living isn’t sustainable. I’ve lived with horrifying neighbours and it’s just hell, I never felt like I could relax because they could start at any moment. Presentations, weddings, big events where I knew I needed to be on form used to take me into a world of anxiety thinking about if the neighbours decided to have one of their parties.

I moved home for a year. Not going to lie it wasn’t easy but it helped hugely. I knew my parents house was quiet, safe and so I could at least rest and be at some kind of mental peace 🤣 sounds dramatic but you honestly just need quiet sometime. I saved £££, downsized (from a two bed to a one bed) and went for a totally different property (terrace house in a diff location… I also spent £10k to soundproof the bedroom 😔🙄😬). My neighbours here have kids who can be a pain from crying but it’s totally manageable. I’ve got no regrets xz
I am sorry. It’s just a tit situation all around. It’s wrong that decent human beings should suffer because of the behaviour of a minority.
Party #2 of the week has just started. Can also hear that her domestic abuser boyfriend is back. That’s sealed the deal for me, I’m outta here.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Party #2 of the week has just started. Can also hear that her domestic abuser boyfriend is back. That’s sealed the deal for me, I’m outta here.
Get out. 100%. You are poorly and home should be a refuge for you.

Reactions: 10
There needs to be stronger laws regarding bad neighbours. And I don't mean just mildly irritating ones that you don't get on with, the types that party, bump music, drug deal, abuse you if you speak up, fight in the street, keep their homes like a slum, let their kids vandalise and bully other residents etc. They should be slung on the street with no help if they destroy someone's home comforts they've worked hard for. Far too many of these scumbags know exactly how to play the system and make a mockery of it. They wouldn't be so bold if they'd be slung out on the street with nothing.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
What's gets me is the way local authorities seem to tip toe around anti-social neighbours and complaints relating to them.

We had new neighbours move in next door and they overhauled the tatty overgrown front garden. Cut everything back, relaid a new lawn, replaced the crumbling brick wall and added a new gate. It looked fabulous yet within days of completion someone from the council turned up with a clip board and pen saying they should have asked permission for this, that and the other.
Yet near where my sister lives there's a house with an old stained mattress that's been slung in the front garden and its covered in empty beer cans and used nappies and in spite of complaints to the council it's still there three months later.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
What's gets me is the way local authorities seem to tip toe around anti-social neighbours and complaints relating to them.

We had new neighbours move in next door and they overhauled the tatty overgrown front garden. Cut everything back, relaid a new lawn, replaced the crumbling brick wall and added a new gate. It looked fabulous yet within days of completion someone from the council turned up with a clip board and pen saying they should have asked permission for this, that and the other.
Yet near where my sister lives there's a house with an old stained mattress that's been slung in the front garden and its covered in empty beer cans and used nappies and in spite of complaints to the council it's still there three months later.
This is so true. There needs to more done to stop ASBO neighbours ruining people's lives. I'm the same as others in this thread, trying to move from a flat I love because of head neighbours. I gave it a year past lockdown to see if the situation got any better, but it didn't, it got worse. Being a head is now the norm, and police are pretty much a daily sight.

Why can't the noisy, inconsiderate, slobs all go live together somewhere, why let them spread out to affect as many people as possible?! (Horrible sentiment but it's horrible these people are becoming the norm and upsetting so many people with it.)

Reactions: 18
I am going to put my conspiracy theorist hat on with this one. agenda 21/30 and all its other names. has in it about division of the people, creating instability, destroying community and civil unrest.

All a load of BS until you think about it and look into it. Why else would unsociable behaver be over looked time and time again when petty things seem to be jumped on right away.

Take my circumstance. My neighbour who is well known to the police ( as a record of violent and anti-social behaver, even against the police ) has moved time and time again due to bad neighbours, that's not before reporting her neighbours over and over again to housing, local council, village council and the police for the smallest of reasons. She is a awful neighbour and yet nothing is ever done, but I have been investigated by the police for covid rule breaking and my friend swearing in my garden, housing for apparent noise same with local council about my tiny water feature the list is endless. She cuts my plants, kills my plants tries to push my fence over, throws rocks at my water feature and nothing not even a visit from the police "not their department" apparently yet my friend swearing in my garden warrants two maybe three interviews . a phone call that I had broken covid rules sees me with a visit from two police

We had a huge spat of burglaries and cars being broken into , people caught on door cams etc. police didn't even look at the videos.. no investigations. stolen plums investigated.

This is the same story over and over.

I've written before about the house at the end of our block. It's like a rubbish dump. The guy has two parking spaces, one has a half filled skip, the other an old van covered in tarpaulin. Three cars take up spaces on the road. The house is like a blot on the landscape. Work started on their garden in lockdown and is still continuing......We've now received a letter saying they have asked for planning permission (part retrospective) for additional works and we have the right to object. If we did so, is there any way that they could find out we have done so?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.