Nurses striking

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Think they’re on about 21 a year or similar
There we go... Not a nurses salary then 🙄
Comparing this with the bus strikes that are going on locally to me at the minute. Theyve just turned down 14% which would have only bought an experienced driver to 33k. I swear nurses live on another planet.

Reactions: 4
There we go... Not a nurses salary then 🙄
Comparing this with the bus strikes that are going on locally to me at the minute. Theyve just turned down 14% which would have only bought an experienced driver to 33k. I swear nurses live on another planet.
I always have thought this! When I first qualified after uni in my job I was on 18k and looked into aldi as it would’ve been better pay. I then got a pay rise to 21k and it wasn’t then worth going to aldi as it was the same (or very similar) pay.

Reactions: 1
Think they’re on about 21 a year or similar
Every comparison of nurses salary to Aldi workers I have seen is comparing NET nurses salary to Gross supermarket employees salary.

So comparing apples and oranges. Stating that fact doesn't make a good headline though!

Reactions: 6
Nurses starting salary is 27k only after 5 years service will they reach circa 33k
It’s still more than the Aldi average wage of 25K.
There was a student nurse on TV the other day saying she didn’t go in to it for the money, she knew it was going to be hard, but she just wants to care for people.
Every new recruit should be like that.

There was a student nurse on TV the other day saying she didn’t go in to it for the money, she knew it was going to be hard, but she just wants to care for people.
Student nurses are often protected from all the tit that goes on behind the scenes , they are contracted to certain hours for insurance purposes , they don’t stay behind for hours to catch up on paperwork , go withoit breaks because there isn’t anybody to relieve them , ask for extra help on the nhsp rota hoping someone picks up shifts to help out the ward , give up days off to cover shifts

give them a few months of being qualified and struggling to get through their preceptorship period because there’s a lack of support and are just seen as part of the numbers once they Have their blues and they will see the real struggles

Student nurses are often protected from all the tit that goes on behind the scenes , they are contracted to certain hours for insurance purposes , they don’t stay behind for hours to catch up on paperwork , go withoit breaks because there isn’t anybody to relieve them , ask for extra help on the nhsp rota hoping someone picks up shifts to help out the ward , give up days off to cover shifts

give them a few months of being qualified and struggling to get through their preceptorship period because there’s a lack of support and are just seen as part of the numbers once they Have their blues and they will see the real struggles
Which is surely a case for bringing back on the job training.

nurses work nights which I imagine Aldi workers don’t?

• Haha
nurses work nights which I imagine Aldi workers don’t?
It's irrelevant because I think we all agree that there isn't a chance a nurse could earn more if they jacked in nursing and went to work at Aldi as a cashier. They'll have to pick another profession to lord it over

It's irrelevant because I think we all agree that there isn't a chance a nurse could earn more if they jacked in nursing and went to work at Aldi as a cashier. They'll have to pick another profession to lord it over
I just think we’re missing the point that nursing is a highly skilled job requiring a degree 🤦🏻‍♀️ so Aldi shouldn’t really be our yardstick unless it’s a comparable job with comparable skills and responsibility. It’s pointless repeating this though.

Reactions: 3
I just think we’re missing the point that nursing is a highly skilled job requiring a degree 🤦🏻‍♀️ so Aldi shouldn’t really be our yardstick unless it’s a comparable job with comparable skills and responsibility. It’s pointless repeating this though.
You're entitled to your opinion but it does blow my mind somewhat that you're still flogging this horse when you literally just demonstrated that you don't even understand what working in Aldi entails (i.e. the comment about Aldi workers not working overnight)
Plus there's different kinds of nursing anyway just as there are different kinds of retail etc. Should an A&E nurse get paid more than someone on a checkout? Probably. Should a GP nurse who works a 9-5 sitting down get paid more than an Aldi worker shifting heavy stuff around on the night shift? Not convinced personally.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
The first mention of Aldi that I saw was nurses saying they could “earn more if they left the NHS and worked in Aldi” then it went to them saying the people who work in Pret are on more money. The way nurses have come across during these strikes hasn’t been well at all, a lot of them seem to have a bag of chips on their shoulder and a stinking entitled attitude. Especially with the comments about “working through the pandemic”

Reactions: 10
And they won’t be getting a very good DB pension either
Not every staff member who works for the NHS is in the pension, simply because they can’t afford to be in it.
I entered my profession to care for people but also because I need to earn money to live. Nobody I know goes to work for the fun of it.

Reactions: 3
Not every staff member who works for the NHS is in the pension, simply because they can’t afford to be in it.

I entered my profession to care for people but also because I need to earn money to live. Nobody I know goes to work for the fun of it.
There are a lot of jobs that don’t earn as much as nurses and they want to live too.

Reactions: 5
There are a lot of jobs that don’t earn as much as nurses and they want to live too.
It’s all a race to the bottom isn’t it
---
You're entitled to your opinion but it does blow my mind somewhat that you're still flogging this horse when you literally just demonstrated that you don't even understand what working in Aldi entails (i.e. the comment about Aldi workers not working overnight)
Plus there's different kinds of nursing anyway just as there are different kinds of retail etc. Should an A&E nurse get paid more than someone on a checkout? Probably. Should a GP nurse who works a 9-5 sitting down get paid more than an Aldi worker shifting heavy stuff around on the night shift? Not convinced personally.
I think the way nurses are paid is archaic in that an outpatients band 5 shouldn’t be paid the same as an ICU band 5. Although the “GP nurse” depends what they’re doing. If they’re a nurse practitioner sitting down doing consultations , prescribing etc then hell yeah they should earn more.

It’s all a race to the bottom isn’t it
Sometimes hard choices have to be made. Do you stick with a job that you trained for but is making you miserable and not enough money, or do you find another job ?
You do what’s best for you.

Sometimes hard choices have to be made. Do you stick with a job that you trained for but is making you miserable and not enough money, or do you find another job ?
You do what’s best for you.
The thing is people will do this. They will do what is best for them and their families. People will leave nursing completely or move abroad. And then we lose a nurse we can’t easily replace. Who is going to staff the NHS then? How can people not see the problem here?