Nurses striking

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The thing is people will do this. They will do what is best for them and their families. People will leave nursing completely or move abroad. And then we lose a nurse we can’t easily replace. Who is going to staff the NHS then? How can people not see the problem here?
No one goes into nursing to get rich. People go into it because they want to nurse. Those people will go into nursing regardless of pay.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 7
The thing is people will do this. They will do what is best for them and their families. People will leave nursing completely or move abroad. And then we lose a nurse we can’t easily replace. Who is going to staff the NHS then? How can people not see the problem here?
I have just left my post as a senior band 5 nurse (which I LOVED) because the lack of staff and the recruiting of overseas nurses has made our job impossible. I have seen so many mistakes being made, way below substandard care and I can’t stay in this profession watching patients die. Yes I might be part of the problem leaving, but I have a family and if I end up in prison because of a mistake made Because of understaffing, my children would be left without a mother.
i think it’s really important to remember that when the tit hits the fan and the life of your loved one is in the balance, you would be personally willing to pay any amount of money for them to be saved.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
There are a lot of jobs that don’t earn as much as nurses and they want to live too.
No doubt about it. Nursing isn’t just any old job though is it? 3 years in University, tit loads of debt, making life changing medical decisions and dealing with death daily deserves decent pay. Not everyone has the skills required to become a nurse

Reactions: 9
No one goes into nursing to get rich. People go into it because they want to nurse. Those people will go into nursing regardless of pay.
And they will leave when they realise how undervalued they are and overstretched, the pay will always be crap and there’s more money by moving abroad or moving to the private sector or just leaving and people do leave nursing completely. Managers are not bothered, they don’t nurture the staff they have and in my experience are more interested in numbers rather than experience - they watch people leave and don’t (in my trust) bother with exit interviews to find out why people are leaving. So then they have a lack of staff and will poach international nurses. They aren’t allowed to take nurses from certain countries but will poach say an Indian nurse who’s working in Dubai. Then they will come and realise it isn’t the dream they were sold, get some experience and look elsewhere & the new one is trainee nursing associates to do the nurse’s job but on a lot less pay. I actually wrote this and I’ll honestly say I don’t know what the answer is. There was a mass exudous after Covid and I know everyone had it hard, and personally I’d have found it mentally worse in some ways if I was working from home, self employed or furloughed and was glad to still have a job to go to and mix with others and have company. I’m appreciative of all key workers and I couldn’t have coped without my local coop. BUT lots of nurses left after Covid because it was traumatic seeing so many people die and the factory like working conditions with people who could be anyone of your relatives. I do think there needs to be a reform on what a nurse does and how skilled they are, like in regular jobs. I personally would be tit in Aldi especially when people are slow to pack and the conveyer is backing up 😅 , I’m resigned to my role despite the pay and the conditions I enjoy looking after people and I’m skilled and good at it, would I like to be paid more. Yes. Do I deserve more pay? In my opinion yes, compared to other nurses who work in the same band who do a lot less, or those in a higher band who also do less. .

Reactions: 2
I have just left my post as a senior band 5 nurse (which I LOVED) because the lack of staff and the recruiting of overseas nurses has made our job impossible. I have seen so many mistakes being made, way below substandard care and I can’t stay in this profession watching patients die. Yes I might be part of the problem leaving, but I have a family and if I end up in prison because of a mistake made Because of understaffing, my children would be left without a mother.
i think it’s really important to remember that when the tit hits the fan and the life of your loved one is in the balance, you would be personally willing to pay any amount of money for them to be saved.
Exactly: the moral injury of having to work in a crappy health system just isn’t worth the pay eventually. Honestly if NZ was closer I would emigrate tomorrow. I just can’t take my child away from their grandparents. I don’t blame anyone who leaves the system for these reasons, it’s not worth it. But I never fail to be astonished how people can be so short sighted to not see that we NEED to attract and keep people working in the NHS and saying stupid stuff like “some people will nurse regardless of pay”. bleeping clueless honestly.
---
You’re a fool if you believe that. There are plenty of jobs attractive to people with a caring vocation without the tit of working in a terminally underfunded nhs

• Heart
And they will leave when they realise how undervalued they are and overstretched, the pay will always be crap and there’s more money by moving abroad or moving to the private sector or just leaving and people do leave nursing completely. Managers are not bothered, they don’t nurture the staff they have and in my experience are more interested in numbers rather than experience - they watch people leave and don’t (in my trust) bother with exit interviews to find out why people are leaving. So then they have a lack of staff and will poach international nurses. They aren’t allowed to take nurses from certain countries but will poach say an Indian nurse who’s working in Dubai. Then they will come and realise it isn’t the dream they were sold, get some experience and look elsewhere & the new one is trainee nursing associates to do the nurse’s job but on a lot less pay. I actually wrote this and I’ll honestly say I don’t know what the answer is. There was a mass exudous after Covid and I know everyone had it hard, and personally I’d have found it mentally worse in some ways if I was working from home, self employed or furloughed and was glad to still have a job to go to and mix with others and have company. I’m appreciative of all key workers and I couldn’t have coped without my local coop. BUT lots of nurses left after Covid because it was traumatic seeing so many people die and the factory like working conditions with people who could be anyone of your relatives. I do think there needs to be a reform on what a nurse does and how skilled they are, like in regular jobs. I personally would be tit in Aldi especially when people are slow to pack and the conveyer is backing up 😅 , I’m resigned to my role despite the pay and the conditions I enjoy looking after people and I’m skilled and good at it, would I like to be paid more. Yes. Do I deserve more pay? In my opinion yes, compared to other nurses who work in the same band who do a lot less, or those in a higher band who also do less. .
God I could have written this. Are you in my trust 😂😂

Reactions: 1
I just think we’re missing the point that nursing is a highly skilled job requiring a degree 🤦🏻‍♀️ so Aldi shouldn’t really be our yardstick unless it’s a comparable job with comparable skills and responsibility. It’s pointless repeating this though.
Mate it was nurses that started banging on about Aldi. It was nurses that made it their yardstick.

Reactions: 6
Mate it was nurses that started banging on about Aldi. It was nurses that made it their yardstick.
I’m not a nurse so I’m coming from a different perspective mate

Reactions: 1
One or two don't speak for everyone.
Exactly!. There was multiple staffing groups out on the picket lines from band 2 upwards. Just seems the vocal minority are focused on the nurses going to work because they care, money shouldn’t matter, suck up the tit pay because you may get a good pension at the end of it 🤣. Get in the real world, if you want good care with highly skilled individuals you pay them well it’s simple.

Reactions: 3
It was nurses that said they are using foodbanks. It was nurses who said that they could earn more at Aldi. It was not one or 2 nurses that said it. Nurses on this thread laughed at someone in this thread that said that they worked at Tesco.
You guys compared yourself to Aldi. Not us little people 😂😂 now you're all mad because you realise how you sound.
Has anyone on this thread has said nurses shouldn't be paid more? I certainly haven't. My stance is you absolutely deserve a payrise (as do most people) and I actually think around 7% is reasonable along with your whatever changes you want to your working conditions. I didn't, and still don't, agree with your reasons and for the theatrical display of nurses in the workhouse as if everyone else is raking it in.
I have no problem with teachers, rail and bus strikes, because they didn't go on like the nurses.
Kinda on the fence with junior doctors. I mean 35% is so unrealistic it's crazy.

Reactions: 4
It was nurses that said they are using foodbanks. It was nurses who said that they could earn more at Aldi. It was not one or 2 nurses that said it. Nurses on this thread laughed at someone in this thread that said that they worked at Tesco.
You guys compared yourself to Aldi. Not us little people 😂😂 now you're all mad because you realise how you sound.
Has anyone on this thread has said nurses shouldn't be paid more? I certainly haven't. My stance is you absolutely deserve a payrise (as do most people) and I actually think around 7% is reasonable along with your whatever changes you want to your working conditions. I didn't, and still don't, agree with your reasons and for the theatrical display of nurses in the workhouse as if everyone else is raking it in.
I have no problem with teachers, rail and bus strikes, because they didn't go on like the nurses.
Kinda on the fence with junior doctors. I mean 35% is so unrealistic it's crazy.
“Junior” doctor here (nearly ten years post qualification). The 35% is pay restoration not rise. We have suffered the deepest drop in public sector pay and have high costs associated with our training which we are expected to pay out of our own pockets (e.g exams compulsory for completion of training contracts). What’s unrealistic is a government which expects its health service to deliver “Scandinavian quality with Singaporean efficiency” (to quote our Chancellor) with a stagnant and inadequate budget.

Uno what the doctors can fuckin crack on, I hope they get their pay rise, cos 5-10 years in a profession should no way, imo, be a “junior”

• Heart
Reactions: 6
“Junior” doctor here (nearly ten years post qualification). The 35% is pay restoration not rise. We have suffered the deepest drop in public sector pay and have high costs associated with our training which we are expected to pay out of our own pockets (e.g exams compulsory for completion of training contracts). What’s unrealistic is a government which expects its health service to deliver “Scandinavian quality with Singaporean efficiency” (to quote our Chancellor) with a stagnant and inadequate budget.
Serious question, why is it still considered "junior"

What I don’t get is why people seem to think non graduate entry jobs should get paid the same as graduate entry jobs?
Because what is and isn't a 'graduate entry job' is so arbitrary. I think plumbers and electricians who don't go to uni provide a more valuable and important service to society than someone who did a history of arts degree and now works on the BBC graduate scheme, so it's fine to me if the former earns more despite being 'less educated'. Some nurses don't have degrees as historically it wasn't a graduate profession, should those nurses earn less than the new ones with less experience but have a degree? I also think it would be very undesirable to live in a society where only those who are academically gifted can ever reach the highest wages. There are plenty of more useful and important skills to have. Some vital jobs are also just extremely unappealing - I can't think of anything worse than hauling heavy stuff around until 3am, or driving long distances etc - and to make those jobs worth it they need decent salaries, whereas people with stupid degrees are falling over themselves to do cushty 9-5 graduate schemes. I don't think it's communism to think that there's more to salaries than education, to me that's an extremely crude measure and I say that as someone who has several degrees.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
No, us guys collectively did not. You are the one obsessed with mentioning Aldi and trying to belittle everyone on this thread who thinks they should earn a wage in relation to the training, risks, decision making their job entails.

Why shouldn't someone who works hard want to not have to struggle to get by? In any profession.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
At the end of the day this is just a circular argument that’ll never end. Everyone wants to be on more money than they are currently and everyone thinks they work hard. Whether you’re working in a warehouse, hospital, supermarket or an office, 99% of people don’t enjoy the work they do and feel they should be compensated higher. Yes everyone is entitled to be on an amount to sustain themselves but it’s an arbitrary argument pitting them all against each other. We don’t live in a communist society and unfortunately neither do we live in a meritocracy.

• Heart
At the end of the day this is just a circular argument that’ll never end. Everyone wants to be on more money than they are currently and everyone thinks they work hard. Whether you’re working in a warehouse, hospital, supermarket or an office, 99% of people don’t enjoy the work they do and feel they should be compensated higher. Yes everyone is entitled to be on an amount to sustain themselves but it’s an arbitrary argument pitting them all against each other. We don’t live in a communist society and unfortunately neither do we live in a meritocracy.
I think at this moment with inflation everyone should be paid more. I just don’t think everyone should be paid equal
---
Who’s going to spend years training to be a nurse doctor teacher and end up in debt stressed not being able to go out partying with your mates if you can just go into another job that pays just as well?

Reactions: 4