Northern Ireland #5 Craic, conflict and current affairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There’s voice notes and images (not of the attack - the alleged attacker and young girl) being sent round WhatsApp. I thought the same not a mention of them being about
I’m sure it’ll come out within the next couple of days if it’s true, murder isn’t something you can keep under wraps in this place.

So someone left a cabbage among the floral tributes in Green Park. You know they’re milking the coverage when a cabbage gets airtime.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Prince Charles was Head of the parachute regiment. I have to listen to this so you do too. You're welcome.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I understand your point of view but I really don't think there was any great need to be displaying any reverence or that she was undignified. It's a foreign public figure that passed away at a grand old age after a long reign in an office that's caused a lot of pain and heartbreak to many Irish families. I wish that particular old lady no ill will but I'd be feeling pretty indifferent about the death of a foreign monarch and if Triona was flippant what harm!
Flippant, somber, sad or indifferent makes absolutely no feckin difference shes dead and we are all entitled to feel however we want without having to be paying any notice of so called protocol. Triona is not British she's Irish.
I'd probably be more invested if it WAS a fashion designer, it would be more relevant to the field🙂
Respect, not Protocol. Protocol is what the British do, probably what we would do if our President died whilst holding the office.

Ireland/Northern Ireland/England will NEVER move on if people keep dragging up the past. Queen Elizabeth made amends for the atrocities carried out when her ancestors were in power, She was far more humanitarian than any of her predecessors and built bridges with Ireland that none of them ever did. It was well known that she wasn't at all comfortable with Margaret Thatchers regime, be that for her absolute intolerance in NI or her treatment of the miners during their strike. The Royal family wield no power, can barely express an opinion and are far more of a tourist attaction than a branch of government, yet people still personally hold the current descendents responsible for the Anglo-Norman invasion and all that's followed since!

I have relatives that were in the Old IRA, they took part in the Easter Rising and were jailed in Kilmainham, on release they had to emigrate to the US because they were not safe from persecution by the British Army. Any of my family I have spoken to have expressed their condolence, and remarked that wasn't it great that the Queen had such a good long and generally healthy life and she wasn't the same since her husband died. No digs at the past, even though we have good reason to. There's far more ire levelled at our current government and the shambles they've made of housing etc.

The past can't be changed, the future can. There may well be a United Ireland in our lifetime. Time to move on.

Just to add: This has gone completely off topic, sorry.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Respect, not Protocol. Protocol is what the British do, probably what we would do if our President died whilst holding the office.

Ireland/Northern Ireland/England will NEVER move on if people keep dragging up the past. Queen Elizabeth made amends for the atrocities carried out when her ancestors were in power, She was far more humanitarian than any of her predecessors and built bridges with Ireland that none of them ever did. It was well known that she wasn't at all comfortable with Margaret Thatchers regime, be that for her absolute intolerance in NI or her treatment of the miners during their strike. The Royal family wield no power, can barely express an opinion and are far more of a tourist attaction than a branch of government, yet people still personally hold the current descendents responsible for the Anglo-Norman invasion and all that's followed since!

I have relatives that were in the Old IRA, they took part in the Easter Rising and were jailed in Kilmainham, on release they had to emigrate to the US because they were not safe from persecution by the British Army. Any of my family I have spoken to have expressed their condolence, and remarked that wasn't it great that the Queen had such a good long and generally healthy life and she wasn't the same since her husband died. No digs at the past, even though we have good reason to. There's far more ire levelled at our current government and the shambles they've made of housing etc.

The past can't be changed, the future can. There may well be a United Ireland in our lifetime. Time to move on.

Just to add: This has gone completely off topic, sorry.
So very well said 👌I can't get over the glee, vitriol etc re the queen's passing.

Reactions: 11

JD reminding us we’re still part of the UK , as if we’d forget 😂
692233FF-AABA-4188-B6FE-9077184968EC.jpeg

Reactions: 1
Have u seen the Major Johnny guy? He is majorly hot. I bet he could turn the most staunch republican into a royalist

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Ireland/Northern Ireland/England will NEVER move on if people keep dragging up the past.
Time to move on.
Well I find that attitude far more insulting than Triona asking is the Queen dead.
You cannot call people looking for justice for the murder of their relatives by a foreign country just "dragging up the past" that's absolutely ridiculous and shows such ignorance and also I find it disgusting to say "Time to move on"
I will never forget and just move on. For all the reverence paid to the Queens relatives for their grief you might want to remember the victims of the British military here were also someone's father, brother,son, or mother and by the way I have no glee or vitriol over the death of the Queen but I certainly don't mourn the loss but I do morn the loss of my relatives and friends affected by the British government.

Reactions: 6
Jim Mcdonald has been arguing with Jamie Brysons sons, sorry, sorry, correction Jedward on twitter.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Is that death discussed last night being reported now? Shaw Road? Andys Town?

Reactions: 2
Only saw that today, deliberate. It's desperately sad whatever happened.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.