Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Rogue-rats

I understand your point of view but I really don't think there was any great need to be displaying any reverence or that she was undignified. It's a foreign public figure that passed away at a grand old age after a long reign in an office that's caused a lot of pain and heartbreak to many Irish families. I wish that particular old lady no ill will but I'd be feeling pretty indifferent about the death of a foreign monarch and if Triona was flippant what harm!
Flippant, somber, sad or indifferent makes absolutely no feckin difference shes dead and we are all entitled to feel however we want without having to be paying any notice of so called protocol. Triona is not British she's Irish.
I'd probably be more invested if it WAS a fashion designer, it would be more relevant to the field🙂
Respect, not Protocol. Protocol is what the British do, probably what we would do if our President died whilst holding the office.

Ireland/Northern Ireland/England will NEVER move on if people keep dragging up the past. Queen Elizabeth made amends for the atrocities carried out when her ancestors were in power, She was far more humanitarian than any of her predecessors and built bridges with Ireland that none of them ever did. It was well known that she wasn't at all comfortable with Margaret Thatchers regime, be that for her absolute intolerance in NI or her treatment of the miners during their strike. The Royal family wield no power, can barely express an opinion and are far more of a tourist attaction than a branch of government, yet people still personally hold the current descendents responsible for the Anglo-Norman invasion and all that's followed since!

I have relatives that were in the Old IRA, they took part in the Easter Rising and were jailed in Kilmainham, on release they had to emigrate to the US because they were not safe from persecution by the British Army. Any of my family I have spoken to have expressed their condolence, and remarked that wasn't it great that the Queen had such a good long and generally healthy life and she wasn't the same since her husband died. No digs at the past, even though we have good reason to. There's far more ire levelled at our current government and the shambles they've made of housing etc.

The past can't be changed, the future can. There may well be a United Ireland in our lifetime. Time to move on.

Just to add: This has gone completely off topic, sorry.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

monga

VIP Member
Bet Jeffrey never thought in his wildest dreams he’d be third in line (behind the shinners )to meet the King of England 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13

Basketweaver

Respect, not Protocol. Protocol is what the British do, probably what we would do if our President died whilst holding the office.

Ireland/Northern Ireland/England will NEVER move on if people keep dragging up the past. Queen Elizabeth made amends for the atrocities carried out when her ancestors were in power, She was far more humanitarian than any of her predecessors and built bridges with Ireland that none of them ever did. It was well known that she wasn't at all comfortable with Margaret Thatchers regime, be that for her absolute intolerance in NI or her treatment of the miners during their strike. The Royal family wield no power, can barely express an opinion and are far more of a tourist attaction than a branch of government, yet people still personally hold the current descendents responsible for the Anglo-Norman invasion and all that's followed since!

I have relatives that were in the Old IRA, they took part in the Easter Rising and were jailed in Kilmainham, on release they had to emigrate to the US because they were not safe from persecution by the British Army. Any of my family I have spoken to have expressed their condolence, and remarked that wasn't it great that the Queen had such a good long and generally healthy life and she wasn't the same since her husband died. No digs at the past, even though we have good reason to. There's far more ire levelled at our current government and the shambles they've made of housing etc.

The past can't be changed, the future can. There may well be a United Ireland in our lifetime. Time to move on.

Just to add: This has gone completely off topic, sorry.
So very well said 👌I can't get over the glee, vitriol etc re the queen's passing.

Reactions: 11

Wee Nora

VIP Member
Feeling very sad tonight seeing the names and faces of those who died in Creeslough 😔 the beautiful wee girl who died along with her father had gone in to get a birthday cake for her Mum 🥺 that poor woman will never celebrate a birthday again, from now on it will be the anniversary of her husband and daughter’s death 😢 too cruel for words.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

Griftymcgriftface

VIP Member
Thanks for listening to me and I’m sorry for your losses too. I know we come from different backgrounds and it’s good to have these discussions. State collusion absolutely should not be happening at all. I think one of the problems we have is that although we have the GFA there was no attempt at actual reconciliation or listening to the views of the other side built in so there has been an ongoing distrust built up over the years- not sure if I’m explaining what I mean correctly here.

As for the videos of the various incidents I don’t think it is necessarily because of the Michaela thing but more a wider spread thing with sports stars and social media and being easy click bait, it has just escalated here as apparently none of our athletes can do anything without singing a loyalist/republican song but maybe that is just the reality for a lot of working class kids.

Kincora gives me the creeps. I walked past it the other day and it just has this awful vibe. I hope the truth does come out as something awful went on there.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Justherefortittle

VIP Member
That royal thread is hilarious- imagine living your life that the most important thing in your day is making memories of how you were a part of the queens death grieving and new king being in throne

Pathetic the lot of it

• Haha

BigMavis

VIP Member
Kind of furious this morning. Our political system is entirely flawed. 100 years ago the North was left behind as collateral damage and a large amount of the population was left underrepresented and it looks like not much has changed. MON hasn't put a foot wrong and handled the death of Queen Elizabeth like a statesperson and I believe she is a statesperson. She is my voice, why is this happening? 5 million on another election!!! This is mental. I have no desire for Irish unity, if it happens it happens (obviously I know that's the ideology of SF)
But this is how republicans are born.

Justherefortittle

VIP Member

Jeffrey is a scundered to one hundred 💯

I think us fenians do death a bit better too - it’s respectful but personal. Must be all that ‘wake’ Experience

• Haha
  • Heart

Wee Nora

VIP Member
Kind of furious this morning. Our political system is entirely flawed. 100 years ago the North was left behind as collateral damage and a large amount of the population was left underrepresented and it looks like not much has changed. MON hasn't put a foot wrong and handled the death of Queen Elizabeth like a statesperson and I believe she is a statesperson. She is my voice, why is this happening? 5 million on another election!!! This is mental. I have no desire for Irish unity, if it happens it happens (obviously I know that's the ideology of SF)
But this is how republicans are born.
What’s the answer do we think? Scrap power sharing? Not ideal but at least it would stop one party holding the country to ransom. We’ve already voted, why don’t our votes count? Another reminder that Nationalists should know their place.
I agree, like or loathe her MON led by example.

Erinslife

Chatty Member
I know people affected by this, I also know one of the fatalities. It’s a horrific accident which at this point has been attributed to a gas leak in one of the flats above the shop. Horrendous stuff.

The explosion was heard kilometres away and it blew the glass out of the windows of nearby buildings.

• Sad
  • Heart

Wee Nora

VIP Member
Bet he was waiting on a rendition of 🎶 Roses Are Red 😂
Wee Jeffrey spanked by the shinners, wonderful 😂

View attachment 1579006Whoever said about wake experience was spot on.
Nobody does death like fenians. We have it down to a fine art. Big tay pots and the wimmen from the club making enough stew to sink the titanic while the men in hi-vis bring trailer loads of chairs and direct the traffic. How’s that for military precision?

• Haha
Reactions: 7

Wee Nora

VIP Member
I’m sorry for your loss Grifty. I too have a close relative who was murdered during the troubles. His murder was the result of RUC collusion, the police who are paid by the state to protect us provided his killer with a gun. Shot 3 times in the head for no other reason than he was a Catholic. You could say I’ve a lot to be angry about but when I hear songs about “up to our knees in fenian blood” I just shrug it off because despite everything else I GET it. I have to. It was a conflict and people will sing songs that they feel represent them. The Republic of Ireland team shouldn’t have to apologise for singing a song about the people that founded their country.
It’s all off the back of that disgraceful Michaela song which is completely unjustifiable. She wasn’t in the IRA, or politics, she was a Catholic girl who was murdered on her honeymoon. Can you imagine if someone made up a song about poor Nevin Spence for example and then tried to justify it by saying but “they” sing songs about the UDA? It’s not the same. The fact is the Orange Order was exposed for what it actually is. All the the tit for tat that’s followed is because they were caught with their pants down in their own “safe space”.

• Heart
Reactions: 7