Northern Ireland #4 Craic, conflict and current affairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m going to say something you may not expect to come from me but I’m surprised BBC have blocked out both one and two and it’s on every other channel too. I know she was the head of state but would have thought they would still continue with some normal programs?
Tbh I’m quite glad. Not everybody wants to see tribute after tribute. Either because it’s not what they’re in to or it’s too sad. I find the whole closing down the country thing a bit mad. But perhaps that’s because she isn’t really my monarch. It’s mad the amount of people who are really affected by this, but there’s only so much sadness we can all take. I think one Channel is enough we need some relief.

Reactions: 1
Tbh I’m quite glad. Not everybody wants to see tribute after tribute. Either because it’s not what they’re in to or it’s too sad. I find the whole closing down the country thing a bit mad. But perhaps that’s because she isn’t really my monarch. It’s mad the amount of people who are really affected by this, but there’s only so much sadness we can all take. I think one Channel is enough we need some relief.
Yeah, sorry that’s what I mean. They have it on all the main terrestrial channels so if someone doesn’t want it they are stuck with it.

I’m still sitting here watching it all hours later as I do like her.

I thought Michelle o’neill’s statement was quite good. Twitter is an absolute cesspit tonight though

Reactions: 3
Yeah, sorry that’s what I mean. They have it on all the main terrestrial channels so if someone doesn’t want it they are stuck with it.

I’m still sitting here watching it all hours later as I do like her.

I thought Michelle o’neill’s statement was quite good. Twitter is an absolute cesspit tonight though
I thought Mary Lou’s was very good and neutral. I’ll stay off the rest of social media out of respect as I’m really not a fan but also won’t revel in an old woman’s death.

I mean we've been told for years what to expect during this period and we've had a bit of a dress rehearsal last year. It's going to be wall to wall coverage until the funeral. I'm wondering if it will be Diana level hysteria, not sure I could deal with that.

Reactions: 2
Remember the stink on both sides of the border when the jubilee used the tricolour. Whoops.
My local Presbyterian Church celebrates st Patrick's day, seems they're as confused as I am. Irish identity embraced for one day, what a head duck. It's simple geography though, the politics is the problem.
Noticing young people not having the same affection for the old lady, could be the cost of living crisis not sure.

The loyalists don’t celebrate anything Irish so the national symbol might be seen as sectarian just like the kids céilí dancing :rolleyes:
I think the monarchy is an older person’s thing, don’t think the younger generation are interested unless they’re from the Shankill😅

Last edited:
The shamrock is used a lot here isn't it? Is it not on military uniforms? Loyalists are a different kettle of fish they have the fear it's not rational and it's not what the Queen stood for. Look at how she met McGuinness, that was hard for both of them I'm sure, but it was reconciliation and forgiveness. Loyalists can't take ownership of this, good people give others the respect they deserve.

Reactions: 6
One thing I do enjoy is all the “operation this, operation that”, it’s all so dramatic and I just love it 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I'm living for it, I love the pomp.
I had to laugh at all the articles saying that in the event of the Queen’s death the PM would receive a coded phonecall declaring that “London Bridge has fallen”. Not much of a code if the whole country knows what it means but I still enjoy the dramatics 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I’m going to say something you may not expect to come from me but I’m surprised BBC have blocked out both one and two and it’s on every other channel too. I know she was the head of state but would have thought they would still continue with some normal programs?
Didnt they do the same with Philip?

I had to laugh at all the articles saying that in the event of the Queen’s death the PM would receive a coded phonecall declaring that “London Bridge has fallen”. Not much of a code if the whole country knows what it means but I still enjoy the dramatics 😂
I know! And it wasn't really a surprise when the world was speculating for hours either. I think they were preparing people, imagine it came out of the blue, the NHS is already at breaking point without half the population having heart attacks.

I know! And it wasn't really a surprise when the world was speculating for hours either. I think they were preparing people, imagine it came out of the blue, the NHS is already at breaking point without half the population having heart attacks.
Yeah I guess they couldn’t just announce her death, the “health concerns” statement and the hours of rolling news coverage was a way of easing people in I suppose. It definitely was sudden though, if it was expected all the family would’ve already been there.

The shamrock is used a lot here isn't it? Is it not on military uniforms? Loyalists are a different kettle of fish they have the fear it's not rational and it's not what the Queen stood for. Look at how she met McGuinness, that was hard for both of them I'm sure, but it was reconciliation and forgiveness. Loyalists can't take ownership of this, good people give others the respect they deserve.
They can’t move past this mentality, sad really to think supremacy is still a thing in peoples heads but reality tells us different.

• Wow
I don't think that is Queen Elizabeth. Is it?
Piers Morgan seemed to know something on Wednesday evening. Things are going to become very unsettled here and I presume the common wealth. Also Michelle will get to give her tribute at the assembly before Jeffrey 🥴

I don't think that is Queen Elizabeth. Is it?
Piers Morgan seemed to know something on Wednesday evening. Things are going to become very unsettled here and I presume the common wealth. Also Michelle will get to give her tribute at the assembly before Jeffrey 🥴
I think it’s the Queen Mum!
Think Jeffrey’s losing support by the day, people are more interested in the COLC not some PUL oasis that the DUP want to create for themselves.

Well, that makes sense. It's been a while since I studied sociology or history but the victorian thinking was certain races were beneath them, there was hierarchy "blacks" and Irish were at the bottom.
Yeah DUP need to tackle the real issues not fantasy make believe ones.

I'm trying to listen to the radio in working struggling to listen to all these power ballads and sad songs. Bring back usual programming pls!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.