Northern Ireland #4 Craic, conflict and current affairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Don't get me wrong there were a lot of poor Protestants too .I don't think a lot of people grasp why the troubles started , most think it was to get the brits out , that's not the case , the brits were welcomed by the nationalist community when they first arrived, they thought they would protect them . Civil rights was what nationalists marched for , they didn't have a vote a job or a home and little prospect of getting any under the Unionist government , things kicked off when they rose up against it , the army arrived to restore law and order but it was clear what side they stood on after a time ,that's when the hooded men took up arms to protect their communities , even the like of John Hume was water cannoned and arrested if he dared to try and engage with the police or Army, there was no scope for dialogue ,innocent men were interred for days for simply being catholic . I don't expect Unionists to understand what the other side went through . I think Irish history (from all sides ) shouldn't be brushed under the carpet I think people should be educated on how it was ,even if it's a painful truth ( on both sides ) .
I think the poor Protestants were used at the start to say well if themmuns get xyz you will suffer and they are trying to take it away from you when in fact they didn’t have much to be taken away from them. Classic divide and conquer. I think it was something David Irvine alluded to once that he was basically so influenced by paisley and the like that he really regretted how he was taken in.

Reactions: 2
I think the poor Protestants were used at the start to say well if themmuns get xyz you will suffer and they are trying to take it away from you when in fact they didn’t have much to be taken away from them. Classic divide and conquer. I think it was something David Irvine alluded to once that he was basically so influenced by paisley and the like that he really regretted how he was taken in.
So much manipulation of the ordinary people that just wanted to get on and provide for their families , that’s why it’s unbelievable that these people are still given a public platform 50 + years later .

Like I said before I don’t think we’ll see a unionist DFM …ever!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Please disappear him. I think most of NI would go along with it, who Bryson? Never heard of him in my life. Deny everything.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I think Bryson is really dangerous. He has obviously built up a following in very working class communities who feel/are disenfranchised but they aren’t seeing that nationalists/catholics aren’t the problem and the issue is the failings of the Stormont executive and uk government which are causing the issues. It suits the DUP fine for him to carry on like this as it keeps their gravy train going

Reactions: 5
The awkward and uncomfortable fact is that there is truth in what Michelle O’Neill said. That’s difficult for me to say that as someone who disagrees with violence in any form. Bloody Sunday was a turning point in the troubles, it showed decent, ordinary, law abiding Nationalist people that peaceful protest for basic civil rights was pointless, it showed them that their voice was never going to be listened to and it made them believe that the only language Britain understood was violence. It’s no coincidence that the aftermath of Bloody Sunday saw the biggest recruitment drive the IRA ever had. There was never going to any opportunity for dialogue or a better way of doing things because Catholics were second class citizens and that’s how they were always intended to remain.
I don’t even blame the PUL community for not understanding, you could only know how bad it was if you lived it. I don’t blame them for not believing it or even denying that it happened.

So much manipulation of the ordinary people that just wanted to get on and provide for their families , that’s why it’s unbelievable that these people are still given a public platform 50 + years later .

Like I said before I don’t think we’ll see a unionist DFM …ever!
Case in point. No unionist party should accept the party that have the largest mandate in NI. Why? Because it’s a Nationalist party 👏

• Heart
Reactions: 7
The awkward and uncomfortable fact is that there is truth in what Michelle O’Neill said. That’s difficult for me to say that as someone who disagrees with violence in any form. Bloody Sunday was a turning point in the troubles, it showed decent, ordinary, law abiding Nationalist people that peaceful protest for basic civil rights was pointless, it showed them that their voice was never going to be listened to and it made them believe that the only language Britain understood was violence. It’s no coincidence that the aftermath of Bloody Sunday saw the biggest recruitment drive the IRA ever had. There was never going to any opportunity for dialogue or a better way of doing things because Catholics were second class citizens and that’s how they were always intended to remain.
I don’t even blame the PUL community for not understanding, you could only know how bad it was if you lived it. I don’t blame them for not believing it or even denying that it happened.
I think a massive issue is that a lot of PUL people genuinely believe that Martin mcguinness fired the first shot at Bloody Sunday, and probably the issue was that there wasn’t a proper enquiry at the time and then we had 30 years of horror after it which entrenched distrust on both sides.
I remember reading an article recently about solider F and the reason he was prosecuted and not others is that his particular story seemed to really not add up to the extent that it seemed he wasn’t cooperating- sorry I’m not explaining this very well. I’ll try to find the one I mean as it gave me a different context to things and explains it better than I am.

I think a massive issue is that a lot of PUL people genuinely believe that Martin mcguinness fired the first shot at Bloody Sunday, and probably the issue was that there wasn’t a proper enquiry at the time and then we had 30 years of horror after it which entrenched distrust on both sides.
I remember reading an article recently about solider F and the reason he was prosecuted and not others is that his particular story seemed to really not add up to the extent that it seemed he wasn’t cooperating- sorry I’m not explaining this very well. I’ll try to find the one I mean as it gave me a different context to things and explains it better than I am.
If that was true do you really believe a British PM would offer a public apology in the house of commons with the whole world watching .Do you think they would cover up for a provo ? if that's the case I don't see how the Unionists could put their trust in the British state .

Well, I've already said my parents engaged with civil rights and they were big sdlp voters, think the only time they voted SF was for Bobby Sands. So I don't necessarily think its true that people agreed with violence or believed it was the route to being heard, our house certainly didn't. We hated it.
But looking at Michelles comments, men and women who joined the IRA believed in what they were fighting for, were the fighting for equality though? Be realistic republicans wanted to end British rule.

Well, I've already said my parents engaged with civil rights and they were big sdlp voters, think the only time they voted SF was for Bobby Sands. So I don't necessarily think its true that people agreed with violence or believed it was the route to being heard, our house certainly didn't. We hated it.
But looking at Michelles comments, men and women who joined the IRA believed in what they were fighting for, were the fighting for equality though? Be realistic republicans wanted to end British rule.
I honestly believe it started out that way but things changed and took a dark turn the more bloody things got .I do think things could've been finished sooner but certain people chose to carry it on at their discretion and the people didn't figure in there.

If that was true do you really believe a British PM would offer a public apology in the house of commons with the whole world watching .
Oh I don’t believe that happened btw but what I mean is because things went on for so long before an actual enquiry then people become entrenched in their views about things. I think growing up thinking back to the 90’s I probably believed that the army were involved with a firefight (not sure if that is the right word) with the RA on that occasion. I’m genuinely not trying to offend or upset you btw, this was the narrative that was believed. And to be honest when I was a teenager in the 90’s bloody sunday wasn’t something that I personally thought about much as I was more concerned by my own relatives that had been murdered by the IRA.
It’s by looking back on reflecting on things and trying to think of perspectives of why things happened that I’m looking more into it.

Bloody Sunday shouldn’t have happened. Innocent lives were lost and the knock on effect created another 30+ years of pointless violence.

Reactions: 5
Oh I don’t believe that happened btw but what I mean is because things went on for so long before an actual enquiry then people become entrenched in their views about things. I think growing up thinking back to the 90’s I probably believed that the army were involved with a firefight (not sure if that is the right word) with the RA on that occasion. I’m genuinely not trying to offend or upset you btw, this was the narrative that was believed. And to be honest when I was a teenager in the 90’s bloody sunday wasn’t something that I personally thought about much as I was more concerned by my own relatives that had been murdered by the IRA.
It’s by looking back on reflecting on things and trying to think of perspectives of why things happened that I’m looking more into it.

Bloody Sunday shouldn’t have happened. Innocent lives were lost and the knock on effect created another 30+ years of pointless violence.
Sorry I wasn't aiming it at you it was just a statement , that's the whole point of the troubles legacy those familes (on both sides ) are still fighting for justice for themselves and their deceased relatives , how do the PUL community feel about police collusion with the Loyalist paramilities ( that has been proved ) .

Reactions: 4
Look at us discussing things like reasonable human beings. Stormont we await your call 📞

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Sorry I wasn't aiming it at you it was just a statement , that's the whole point of the troubles legacy those familes (on both sides ) are still fighting for justice for themselves and their deceased relatives , how do the PUL community feel about police collusion with the Loyalist paramilities ( that has been proved ) .
I imagine that some people don’t focus on things like state collusion because people are hurting about their own family/side not being investigated. And I think this is the biggest problem stemming from the GFA in that legacy cases weren’t discussed or included. There probably should have been more work done in terms of reconciliation at the time but it was just a great there’s a ceasefire and here’s bill Clinton and bono and everyone celebrating peace but on both sides there was no attempt to deal with the actual hurt and distrust so then there are legacy cases on both sides which haven’t been investigated and no one feels like they are getting a good outcome from it.

Look at us discussing things like reasonable human beings. Stormont we await your call 📞
I could do with a salary for doing duck all.

Reactions: 3
I imagine that some people don’t focus on things like state collusion because people are hurting about their own family/side not being investigated. And I think this is the biggest problem stemming from the GFA in that legacy cases weren’t discussed or included. There probably should have been more work done in terms of reconciliation at the time but it was just a great there’s a ceasefire and here’s bill Clinton and bono and everyone celebrating peace but on both sides there was no attempt to deal with the actual hurt and distrust so then there are legacy cases on both sides which haven’t been investigated and no one feels like they are getting a good outcome from it.

I could do with a salary for doing duck all.
Sadly they’ll never be justice for many people now they’ve done away with the legacies, just one more failure to add to the massive tit list.

Was disappointed to see linfield staying silent about their footballer with the UVF pic. From what I gather the pic is years old from when he was a teenager but I still would want them to address this as there was a tweet apparently from him about James Maclean too

loads of footballers have been caught out with years old tweets and had to apologise in the past. If I was running a football club the first thing I would do would be go through social media

Arlenes trending and getting hell along with Ruth Davidson

• Haha
We probably need a complete overhaul in terms of parties politicians etc. People like Jamie should be prosecuted for inciting hatred, sectarianism should carry a prison sentence. Just an idea 😂 is it a goer?

Reactions: 4
We probably need a complete overhaul in terms of parties politicians etc. People like Jamie should be prosecuted for inciting hatred, sectarianism should carry a prison sentence. Just an idea 😂 is it a goer?
Could we get Matthew mcconaghy in as first minister on account of him being a big ride. I heard he wants into politics

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.