Northern Ireland #4 Craic, conflict and current affairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What do the comments say? 😂
Everyone saying the place has gone to hell.
A couple saying if it was 13 year old lads they would get the same treatment so at least there's gender equality in sectarian beatings now
The weeins must be in the ra

• Wow
Reactions: 3
A couple saying if it was 13 year old lads they would get the same treatment so at least there's gender equality in sectarian beatings now
I wonder if it was legit threats or more of a ‘come any closer to that fire and I’ll break your arms’ empty threat

Reactions: 4
I had a look, depressing for sure. Either condoning it or shouting about themmuns.
So, this is controversial but I've heard from a source who attends that 11th night is a right of passage for some in a sexual context. True? False? Worrying?
Friends of mine say they wouldn't let their teen attend with her chums because they've also heard this.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 2
I had a look, depressing for sure. Either condoning it or shouting about themmuns.
So, this is controversial but I've heard from a source who attends that 11th night is a right of passage for some in a sexual context. True? False? Worrying?
Friends of mine say they wouldn't let their teen attend with her chums because they've also heard this.
I imagine like most big events some might see it that way, I don’t remember that far back to that specifically being a thing but maybe I wasn’t cool enough for that!

Reactions: 1
At this stage I couldn’t care whether it comes through rates bills or through an executive forming but people will need that money.

One thing I want to ask- am I imagining this or did we not used to get 2 months off rates in Jan/feb?
As I always thought that was the case then I know we got a couple of months off at covid but thought it was paid off the following year.

What about renters who don’t get a rates bill? Many many renters are on a low income so it will be their wealthy landlords who benefit from the £400. How out of touch can they actually be? 🙄

Some landlords are tit bags no doubt, I haven't received rent on a property for months so if I can get £400 back I'll take it, my only other alternative is changing the locks and if there wasn't children in the property I'd have done so already.
Everyone is fucked especially the property people.

Some landlords are tit bags no doubt, I haven't received rent on a property for months so if I can get £400 back I'll take it, my only other alternative is changing the locks and if there wasn't children in the property I'd have done so already.
Everyone is fucked especially the property people.
I know there are bad tenants as well as bad landlords Mavis but rates relief is a very poor way to deliver a cost of living payment. If you’re someone who can’t afford to own a property you miss out. Then there are the people on housing benefit who have their rent paid directly to their landlord through the benefit system. It’s actually ludicrous but I expect nothing less in this place 😂

I know there are bad tenants as well as bad landlords Mavis but rates relief is a very poor way to deliver a cost of living payment. If you’re someone who can’t afford to own a property you miss out. Then there are the people on housing benefit who have their rent paid directly to their landlord through the benefit system. It’s actually ludicrous but I expect nothing less in this place 😂
I don't think that method is being seriously considered though as so many would lose out.
It's clear people here and their circumstances are being used as leverage to get the executive back into action. I see there is a movement emerging telling people to not pay their energy bills.

I don't think that method is being seriously considered though as so many would lose out.
It's clear people here and their circumstances are being used as leverage to get the executive back into action. I see there is a movement emerging telling people to not pay their energy bills.
Would love to get away with not paying mine Mavis but I’m on pre pay lol. I must actually change over because I think it’s the most expensive tariff of them all. I see they’re talking about another eviction ban in the south, evictions are up 50% as landlords want to sell up, did they ever do anything like that here?

Would love to get away with not paying mine Mavis but I’m on pre pay lol. I must actually change over because I think it’s the most expensive tariff of them all. I see they’re talking about another eviction ban in the south, evictions are up 50% as landlords want to sell up, did they ever do anything like that here?
Not that I know of, but its incredibly difficult to evict tenants anyway, although I have experience of locks being changed and all of a sudden money appears.
If you get to the point of eviction house is usually wrecked before a flit. Selling isn't without its hassle either, capital gains etc. Property market is likely going to crash it was crazy for a while and a sellers paradise.

Not that I know of, but its incredibly difficult to evict tenants anyway, although I have experience of locks being changed and all of a sudden money appears.
If you get to the point of eviction house is usually wrecked before a flit. Selling isn't without its hassle either, capital gains etc. Property market is likely going to crash it was crazy for a while and a sellers paradise.
Where do you stand if a tenant leaves the place in a state? We rented a place before buying and we left it in a better state than we found it. The landlord did nothing to spruce the place up after the previous long term tenants left. We had to repaint the whole house (every room was painted like green??), replace door handles, reattach cupboard doors, put in a new kitchen sink and a new shower screen, a few new electrical sockets, new fire alarms and carbon monoxide detector. Not to mention the cleaning which took days. We didn’t get reimbursed for any of it either but we had a new baby and were just so exhausted/glad to find somewhere that we didn’t make a fuss. He got his rent religiously on the 1st of every month. He then tried to keep our deposit after we left because a piece of plaster fell off the outside of the house around the door frame 🙄 it had been threatening to fall off since the day we moved in. It wasn’t damage caused by us. He then went on to describe the house as immaculate and tastefully decorated when it was relisted for sale after we moved out. Yeah it was immaculate because that’s how we left it 🤬 Sorry for the rant, he was a prick 😂

At this stage I couldn’t care whether it comes through rates bills or through an executive forming but people will need that money.

One thing I want to ask- am I imagining this or did we not used to get 2 months off rates in Jan/feb?
As I always thought that was the case then I know we got a couple of months off at covid but thought it was paid off the following year.
The bills were sent out later during covid, I thought they worked them out from April to April to fall within the financial year .

I wonder if it was legit threats or more of a ‘come any closer to that fire and I’ll break your arms’ empty threat
Did the families not have to hand them over money?

What about renters who don’t get a rates bill? Many many renters are on a low income so it will be their wealthy landlords who benefit from the £400. How out of touch can they actually be? 🙄
It should go to the people that’s name is on the electricity bill, landlord’s don’t pay that.

Where do you stand if a tenant leaves the place in a state? We rented a place before buying and we left it in a better state than we found it. The landlord did nothing to spruce the place up after the previous long term tenants left. We had to repaint the whole house (every room was painted like green??), replace door handles, reattach cupboard doors, put in a new kitchen sink and a new shower screen, a few new electrical sockets, new fire alarms and carbon monoxide detector. Not to mention the cleaning which took days. We didn’t get reimbursed for any of it either but we had a new baby and were just so exhausted/glad to find somewhere that we didn’t make a fuss. He got his rent religiously on the 1st of every month. He then tried to keep our deposit after we left because a piece of plaster fell off the outside of the house around the door frame 🙄 it had been threatening to fall off since the day we moved in. It wasn’t damage caused by us. He then went on to describe the house as immaculate and tastefully decorated when it was relisted for sale after we moved out. Yeah it was immaculate because that’s how we left it 🤬 Sorry for the rant, he was a prick 😂
That's pretty bad, tenants usually yap on and agents are usually on it in terms of maintenance/fixes.
Decor is up to the tenant, but all of the above should have been fixed for you, especially if it was a safety concern. People should never pour money into a rental but so many do. A lady wrapped her kitchen and the LL billed her for damage.
Nora you should see some of the places people try to let and are successful. Thing is when people view the property they know what they're getting and still pay.

That's pretty bad, tenants usually yap on and agents are usually on it in terms of maintenance/fixes.
Decor is up to the tenant, but all of the above should have been fixed for you, especially if it was a safety concern. People should never pour money into a rental but so many do. A lady wrapped her kitchen and the LL billed her for damage.
Nora you should see some of the places people try to let and are successful. Thing is when people view the property they know what they're getting and still pay.
Probably just down to a shortage of rentals Mavis. When we took that house we knew it wasn’t a great house but there wasn’t a single other property to let in the area apart from one bed flats. The landlord knew if we didn’t take it the next person would and he could charge top end of the scale. Did you ever consider the air bnb route?

Probably just down to a shortage of rentals Mavis. When we took that house we knew it wasn’t a great house but there wasn’t a single other property to let in the area apart from one bed flats. The landlord knew if we didn’t take it the next person would and he could charge top end of the scale. Did you ever consider the air bnb route?
Yes, when I was in Donegal a while back thats what I was sorting. It's a bit of a ball ache though, easier to go the holiday letting route, might stick it on for the quieter times. I know families who move into their garage to allow for air, wouldn't fancy it myself.

I emailed the rates office once to double check this. Now it changed the last 2 years with covid but mine were back on this schedule this year.

Attachments

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.