Northern Ireland #3 Craic, conflict and current affairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Exit took over where the Arena left off but it was stopped after a shooting I think.
I missed the drug scene apart from the odd funny cigarette and tray bake. Actually remember that girls death, she was related to a pal of mine. Definitely put the younger crowd off drugs.
My friends dad ran exit 15, my friend was doing the door that night taking the money. Scared him a fair bit as he was young enough at the time. It was at the glengannon. The guy who did it was from knockmore square in lisburn, my wee granny lived in knockmore and I remember the gossip clear as day after it. He ran off over the border after that. Never heard what happened to him after that.

Reactions: 2
My friends dad ran exit 15, my friend was doing the door that night taking the money. Scared him a fair bit as he was young enough at the time. It was at the glengannon. The guy who did it was from knockmore square in lisburn, my wee granny lived in knockmore and I remember the gossip clear as day after it. He ran off over the border after that. Never heard what happened to him after that.
Yes, desperate times. I'm so glad the young people today don't have to experience this. I think around this time funeral wreaths were sent to various nightclubs, I remember it happening and my parents not allowing me to go out, I thought they were being totally unreasonable and had a major huff.

Reactions: 3
Yes, desperate times. I'm so glad the young people today don't have to experience this. I think around this time funeral wreaths were sent to various nightclubs, I remember it happening and my parents not allowing me to go out, I thought they were being totally unreasonable and had a major huff.
Oh god yes I remember the black wreaths! I forgot about those!! But I've only ever had to leave a nightclub once for a bomb scare.

Oh god yes I remember the black wreaths! I forgot about those!! But I've only ever had to leave a nightclub once for a bomb scare.
Thankfully my nights out only involved human bomb scares 😂
It was terrible wasn't it. What people here lived through was horrendous. Bag searches going anywhere, no cars in town, do you remember the big gates in Belfast City centre?

Thankfully my nights out only involved human bomb scares 😂
It was terrible wasn't it. What people here lived through was horrendous. Bag searches going anywhere, no cars in town, do you remember the big gates in Belfast City centre?
Just about remember them.
It's strange isn't it, cos it was so "normal" to us then. I lived in Scotland and England for a few years and if anyone ever asked what it was like growing up here they were shocked. I'd never given it much thought how it must look to the "outside".

Just about remember them.
It's strange isn't it, cos it was so "normal" to us then. I lived in Scotland and England for a few years and if anyone ever asked what it was like growing up here they were shocked. I'd never given it much thought how it must look to the "outside".
We’re literally conditioned to think this tit is normal 🙈 like even now if there’s a bombscare people will stand and watch the little bomb disposal robot do his thing while bemoaning that the street’s closed, anywhere else in the world they wouldn’t be able to get far enough away 😂 My Dad always talks about being pulled from his car and being “roughed up” by the brits on his way to dances back in the 70s and then just carrying on and going for his night out as if it was normal. What a mad wee place.

Reactions: 4
Bombs were so common, I remember the ceiling tiles in our classroom falling in on us when a bomb went off. Wasn't even that close. They just moved us into another class 🥴

We’re literally conditioned to think this tit is normal 🙈 like even now if there’s a bombscare people will stand and watch the little bomb disposal robot do his thing while bemoaning that the street’s closed, anywhere else in the world they wouldn’t be able to get far enough away 😂 My Dad always talks about being pulled from his car and being “roughed up” by the brits on his way to dances back in the 70s and then just carrying on and going for his night out as if it was normal. What a mad wee place.
The only time i remember people reacting to a bomb scare was shortly after the omagh bomb there was a series of bomb scares and because with omagh they had given the wrong location, people were less keen to hang around. Its rhe first time I seen genuine fear around a bomb scare.

Reactions: 1
Bombs were so common, I remember the ceiling tiles in our classroom falling in on us when a bomb went off. Wasn't even that close. They just moved us into another class 🥴
The really where so common, my mums from sandy row, so there was bombs on her street corners all the time. We grew up in lisburn just a few streets away from the army barracks and when the car bombs went off In the 90’s, our entire front windows came in round me as I was the only person in the house after high school. I remember the gates of Belfast well too on royal ave, and my dad was an alarm engineer working all over the place at nights on call out so he was always getting stopped and questioned by the paramilitaries as to why he was out and where he was going.
i was in holiday a few years ago and met an English couple and they couldn’t believe that we just watch bombs going off from down the street and that it’s a small inconvenience that we just can’t get home 🙈

The really where so common, my mums from sandy row, so there was bombs on her street corners all the time. We grew up in lisburn just a few streets away from the army barracks and when the car bombs went off In the 90’s, our entire front windows came in round me as I was the only person in the house after high school. I remember the gates of Belfast well too on royal ave, and my dad was an alarm engineer working all over the place at nights on call out so he was always getting stopped and questioned by the paramilitaries as to why he was out and where he was going.
i was in holiday a few years ago and met an English couple and they couldn’t believe that we just watch bombs going off from down the street and that it’s a small inconvenience that we just can’t get home 🙈
You'd wonder how we're normal wouldn't you 😂

• Haha
Wouldn't have recognition him. Adams is the only one left from that era, isn't he?

Reactions: 1
Rest easy Mr Trimble. Our politics may have been different but I think we all appreciate his contribution to the peace we all enjoy.

I'm conflicted about Trimble, there is no doubt that he helped get the GFA accepted by the unionist community and thats a good thing. There's also a lot of not so good stuff, but nobody from that era is coming out smelling like roses except maybe Hume.
But I was pleasantly surprised with how he handled his daughters relationship, that wouldn't have been easy. I much preferred him over Dr Paisley.

I can’t be hypocritical I never liked the man, especially when he danced hand n hand with Paisley down the Garvaghy rd .I always thought him a very fickle money driven politician, unlike Hume…Condolences to his family of course.

It's the Garvaghy Road situation for me, children died, somehow I'd forgotten about that until it was mentioned here a few months back. Paisley forewarned publicly that there would be dire consequences for not allowing Orange men to exert their God given right to march that route. Nobody talks about that. And yes Trimble was there.
The media, politicians have done a great job at helping us forget the horrors in order to have peace.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.