Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This just got a lot more interesting. The unhealthy SNP majority finally has some competition.
I doubt he’ll bring that much competition to be honest. Especially as he’s only standing in the list vote. He needs more than 5% for his votes to even be counted. All he’s doing is detracting from the greens votes.
I can only hope that if he does get the seat then the victims which he has admitted to behaving inappropriately with don’t have to encounter him as they go about their jobs again.

Reactions: 6
Apparently he wants to campaign side by side with Sturgeon in the hope of getting a super majority for Independence.....I think he is up to something 🤔

Reactions: 4
It looks on paper like it’ll be a complete disaster. It’s a bit of a sh**ty thing to do really.

But I don’t think we should underestimate Alex Salmond either, he might not be getting the supermajority on his own but he certainly wants to be kingmaker.

Reactions: 3
Apparently he wants to campaign side by side with Sturgeon in the hope of getting a super majority for Independence.....I think he is up to something 🤔
I don’t get his supermajority stuff. It’s unlikely that many who are voting SNP 1&2 will vote for him. So that leaves those already splitting their vote - he would be diluting it even further.
No pro-union/anti snp are going to vote so where does this supermajority come from?

Maybe I’m missing something but it just screams massage Alex Salmonds ego to me.

This really is a joke. It was only a few weeks ago that he said the Leadership wasn’t fit to bring Independence. But he is fit to do so? 🤔

Reactions: 4
Maybe he's saying something in the Alba Party launch video by being so dimly lit? :LOL:

View attachment 500482

This just got a lot more interesting. The unhealthy SNP majority finally has some competition.
How is it an "unhealthy" majority, when that's what the electorate voted for? As far as I know the Alba party (which few journalists seem to be able to pronounce correctly, nevermind that it's a weird mish mash of gaelic & English) is only running for list seats... therefore it's the Scottish Greens who might lose out, given they are often the only indy party on lists bar the snp, but no one who uses their list vote for Greens would vote Alba. In reality it's the "Alec Salmond Party" and I think most of the electorate are just bored with him now, apart from a few that think the SNP is a one party state or some nonsense (funny no one says this about Labour in Wales, Labour when they ran Scotland for how many decades, or currently the Conservatives in England :rolleyes:).

Maybe I’m missing something but it just screams massage Alex Salmonds ego to me.
This really is a joke. It was only a few weeks ago that he said the Leadership wasn’t fit to bring Independence. But he is fit to do so? 🤔
Nail on head, he's just scunnered that it wasn't him to be the FM of an independent Scotland, all of his anti-SNP talk just screams "egotistical'.

This is a man who was accused of crimes against women, bullying, cheating on his wife alongside turning off many women during his term from the SNP and voting for indy. Then he put Nicola through an 8 hour interrogation because he thought that she would "have his back" and she didn't. To have the brass neck of thinking he can stand on stage with her once again, how egotistical. However, watching the q&a it seems there are some men who thing Alec was wronged and defend him, each to their own :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
This is a man who was accused of crimes against women, bullying, cheating on his wife alongside turning off many women during his term from the SNP and voting for indy. Then he put Nicola through an 8 hour interrogation because he thought that she would "have his back" and she didn't. To have the brass neck of thinking he can stand on stage with her once again, how egotistical. However, watching the q&a it seems there are some men who thing Alec was wronged and defend him, each to their own :rolleyes:.
This is my thoughts. Those poor women.

Ive never voted SNP before but both votes will be SNP in May. There are no other viable parties to vote for.

just glad politics up here in Scotland ALL BEING WELL

will no longer be a one horse runaway

just scunnard of almost 14 straight years SNP to be honest

Reactions: 2
just glad politics up here in Scotland ALL BEING WELL

will no longer be a one horse runaway

just scunnard of almost 14 straight years SNP to be honest
At least in Scotland we are getting what the majority vote for. Actually it’s still not given almost a million votes in the list vote are discounted because of the process.
When was the last time Scotland got what they voted for in Westminster?

Reactions: 1
At least in Scotland we are getting what the majority vote for. Actually it’s still not given almost a million votes in the list vote are discounted because of the process.
When was the last time Scotland got what they voted for in Westminster?
god that must be donkey's years now

god that must be donkey's years now
I don’t think I’ve been alive 🤣 ok that’s a bit of a stretch but it’s been a really long time.

Had a quick google and it looks like 2005 was the last time. I’m blaming Tony Blair and his tit show.

Reactions: 1
Was the system not set up in Scotland so you couldnt have a clear majority government. So for snp to have achieved this just shows how disenchanted the voting public are?

I previously voted snp, honestly have no idea who to vote for this time. Wouldnt vote tory, scottish labour are a disgrace and lib dems who? I actually cant watch FM questions as the dog fight between them all is shameful.

Reactions: 2
Think I'm going to give Sarwar a chance, could never have voted for Labour under Leonard.
We still have the worst drug deaths anywhere & only lately have the SNP been shamed into action.
A Sick Children's Hospital, 2 years late & well over budget, £200m squandered on 2 Ferries, sitting rusting away in a dock.
I've voted SNP in the past, but it'll be Labour this time as they are the only viable opposition where I am. Something just not sitting right with me SNP-wise just now.

Reactions: 5
Was the system not set up in Scotland so you couldnt have a clear majority government. So for snp to have achieved this just shows how disenchanted the voting public are?
SNP don’t have a majority. They hold 61/129 seats. 2011 was the only time that a clear runaway majority has happened and is unlikely to ever happen again. They’d need to lose Consituency seats for this to happen.
They can get a majority this year but it will be by a small number of seats.

I voted Labour until 2014 (would never ever have voted for Alex Salmonds SNP the man gives me heebiejeebies) but I am 110% for Independence and I feel they are just a branch rather than a Scottish party.
Sarwar is showing some promise by standing up against the Tories - that’s the first in a while. And yesterday’s refusal to commit to a coalition speaks (very clever) volumes.

Think I'm going to give Sarwar a chance, could never have voted for Labour under Leonard.
We still have the worst drug deaths anywhere & only lately have the SNP been shamed into action.
A Sick Children's Hospital, 2 years late & well over budget, £200m squandered on 2 Ferries, sitting rusting away in a dock.
I've voted SNP in the past, but it'll be Labour this time as they are the only viable opposition where I am. Something just not sitting right with me SNP-wise just now.
There is only so much the Scottish Government, whatever party, can do though seeing as drug misuse policy isn't devolved. And yes, Scotland has faired miserably when it comes to drug related death and HIV.

The Scottish Labour party really seems like it has no autonomy though. Take Richard Leonard, a CND man, yet was basically forced to fall inline with the UK Labour's support of nuclear weapons.

Last edited:
I’m under the impression that the majority of people want Scottish independence, is that true?
No. The survey today said:

Support for the Union remains on a knife edge, with 51% backing the UK compared to 49% in favour of independence, once don't knows are excluded.

I don't think it's ever been more than 55% for or against and both sides have polled around that

Edit, looks like the person I quoted has deleted their post

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.