Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The other parties offer lots of things. But SNP stuff is as tribal.

Lots of their PR winning police's don't hold much weight. Free prescriptions - most in England get these also as you're entitled to it if it's cronic, you can't afford it or are of a certain age. Very few actually pay for it. Less tax as low earners - if you're on 15k you get a whopping £20 more in Scotland in a year. None of this free stuff is free, budgets are allocated differently and Scotland has more per head to spend.

Anyway as a foreigner Scotland was the most unpleasant and unwelcoming country I've ever lived in during the last indy vote. I'd never live there again and have precious little time for the self serving SNP and the 💩 they pedal.
You must see things very different. Throughout the whole of the election campaign all we’ve heard from elsewhere is SNPBAD, indybad - that’s not a manifesto.

“Very few pay for it” that’s still too many!

I’m sorry you feel that way. Feedback from most is that it’s a very welcoming, pleasant and inclusive country especially considering their voices are also heard at elections.

Reactions: 5
Oh and can I just say that if you found indyref unpleasant it's probably more to do with the people you spent your time with. I found it very enjoyable. I hated politics before it. The debate was great and I think we now have one of the most politically engaged countries in the world.

I was on the losing side and I cried. Cried for hours. I cried all day at work. Pathetic maybe but being independent means a lot to me. A lot of friends and family voted No. I speak to them all. Respect their views and we still have great debate over the constitution. It's what politics is about.

Reactions: 14
I do feel sad that youve felt like that living in Scotland. Indyref was very emotive and it did split a lot of the country and cause animosity. I would welcome anyone who wants to come and live here. I have lived elsewhere and always come back.

My partner is not Scottish and is totally settled here and has found it really welcoming. We are very central though in a built up area with many nationalities living here. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Oh and can I just say that if you found indyref unpleasant it's probably more to do with the people you spent your time with. I found it very enjoyable. I hated politics before it. The debate was great and I think we now have one of the most politically engaged countries in the world.

I was on the losing side and I cried. Cried for hours. I cried all day at work. Pathetic maybe but being independent means a lot to me. A lot of friends and family voted No. I speak to them all. Respect their views and we still have great debate over the constitution. It's what politics is about.
Agreed. I voted no and would not thinking badly at all of a yes voter. We all had our reasons :)

Its about being tolerant and listening to what the opposition is saying. I can do that and still do :)

Reactions: 6
Oh and I am gutted there's no normal overnight counting with results declared at 3am. Election night is always a favourite. Gonna be a bit of wait for the results which sucks!

Reactions: 2
Oh and I am gutted there's no normal overnight counting with results declared at 3am. Election night is always a favourite. Gonna be a bit of wait for the results which sucks!
It’s going to be a long slog. I’m working our count on Saturday! Saturday!!!!

Just out of interest do you guys think Scotland would vote for independence if there was another referendum? I'm from Northern Ireland and there's a lot of talk in the media atm about the reunification of Ireland becoming a real possibility in the wake of Brexit and the Sea Border weakening the union, which is hugely ironic since it was the Unionist parties in NI who so badly wanted Brexit to happen. I think Scottish Independence would be a huge factor in NI's future in the Union.

Reactions: 4
Just out of interest do you guys think Scotland would vote for independence if there was another referendum? I'm from Northern Ireland and there's a lot of talk in the media atm about the reunification of Ireland becoming a real possibility in the wake of Brexit and the Sea Border weakening the union, which is hugely ironic since it was the Unionist parties in NI who so badly wanted Brexit to happen. I think Scottish Independence would be a huge factor in NI's future in the Union.
It is real possibility. Depends if we will be granted one either by Westminster or through the courts. I don't understand how either could deny democracy.

It also depends on the state of the economy after the pandemic. The SNP really need to put forward a convincing argument about the currency too as that is probably the biggest issue that caused the No vote in the first place.

I would vote yes again ... however if she/snp decide to drive forward for another referendum, it has to be with a promise of a vast majority vote; this would really really be the last one in my lifetime anyway (or at least whilst I’m young enough to participate fully in an independent Scotland)

I think it would be inevitable that we will all break away in the future from being a united kingdom

It is real possibility. Depends if we will be granted one either by Westminster or through the courts. I don't understand how either could deny democracy.

It also depends on the state of the economy after the pandemic. The SNP really need to put forward a convincing argument about the currency too as that is probably the biggest issue that caused the No vote in the first place.
What was their policy on currency the last time? Republic of Ireland had a very smooth transition from the punt to the euro in 2002.

What was their policy on currency the last time? Republic of Ireland had a very smooth transition from the punt to the euro in 2002.
At the moment it's keeping the pound whilst the economy stables then using a new Scottish currency. Westminster argue you can't borrow if you continue to use the pound because the central bank would be in another country. Some independent countries do use another countries currency at the moment and borrow just fine so y'know, usual with politics, who is telling the truth?! 🤔

I hope there’s another independence referendum in the not too distant future. Independence is the natural state of any country, I believe.

I’ll be both votes SNP today. I don’t agree blindly with all their policies but I won’t be voting any other way until after the event of independence from Westminster rule. I imagine the other parties when no longer branch offices of the Westminster crowd will up their game somewhat and I’ll listen to what they have to say then. I’m sick of the other parties banging on about SNP bad and all the party political broadcasts going on about how terrible another referendum would be. They’re outing themselves as anti-democrats. No voters will have another chance to vote no if they wish. There’s something that doesn’t sit right with me that they want to block the democratic process altogether.

I like England and NI and visit when I can. I’ve sadly not been to Wales yet but I’m sure it’s great. I’m not anti the other UK nations. I just think Scotland would do better under her own governance. Interestingly all my English friends who live here are independence supporters. I have no voter friends too, of course. The issue has never caused any animosity in my circle.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I hope there’s another independence referendum in the not too distant future. Independence is the natural state of any country, I believe.

I’ll be both votes SNP today. I don’t agree blindly with all their policies but I won’t be voting any other way until after the event of independence from Westminster rule. I imagine the other parties when no longer branch offices of the Westminster crowd will up their game somewhat and I’ll listen to what they have to say then. I’m sick of the other parties banging on about SNP bad and all the party political broadcasts going on about how terrible another referendum would be. They’re outing themselves as anti-democrats. No voters will have another chance to vote no if they wish. There’s something that doesn’t sit right with me that they want to block the democratic process altogether.

I like England and NI and visit when I can. I’ve sadly not been to Wales yet but I’m sure it’s great. I’m not anti the other UK nations. I just think Scotland would do better under her own governance. Interestingly all my English friends who live here are independence supporters. I have no voter friends too, of course. The issue has never caused any animosity in my circle.
I agree with you. I'm not completely up to speed with things in Scotland but every study into Irish unity show the country would be better off economically as one State, I'm sure it's the same for Scotland. For the first time in 100 years there seems to be a real prospect of a referendum here. Probably not for a few years yet but personally I hope it's sooner rather than later although I really hope it's not at the cost of peace process.

The other parties offer lots of things. But SNP stuff is as tribal.

Lots of their PR winning police's don't hold much weight. Free prescriptions - most in England get these also as you're entitled to it if it's cronic, you can't afford it or are of a certain age. Very few actually pay for it. Less tax as low earners - if you're on 15k you get a whopping £20 more in Scotland in a year. None of this free stuff is free, budgets are allocated differently and Scotland has more per head to spend.

Anyway as a foreigner Scotland was the most unpleasant and unwelcoming country I've ever lived in during the last indy vote. I'd never live there again and have precious little time for the self serving SNP and the 💩 they pedal.
That is a shame you felt unwelcome in Scotland and didn’t enjoy the 2014 Indy referendum. Like other posters have said, it did energise people into caring about politics. Not sure how that’s a bad thing.

I think it’s quite strange to equate SNP + Indy referendum + some Scots = Scotland bad, will never go there again etc.

I had a fairly bad experience in Dublin with an Irish person. Should I harbour a hatred about Ireland, their government and Irish people? Of course not.

Yel

I had a fairly bad experience in Dublin with an Irish person. Should I harbour a hatred about Ireland, their government and Irish people? Of course not.
Well there's no point replying if you're using ridiculous scenarios to try and belittle my experiences.
“Very few pay for it” that’s still too many!
Well it would be nice to offer everything free to everyone but there's limited funds. Scotland's hip replacement waiting times seem to be higher than England, (hypothetically) is offering free prescriptions to everyone an acceptable compromise to cause this? I don't know.

I don't feel the English prescriptions system is that bad where only those with short term issues and that can afford it make a contribution.

It wasn't the indy ref day I didn't enjoy, it was the months before and after. Made it an easy choice to leave the country.

• Haha
Did you know it would cost more to administer a means tested prescription service in Scotland than to just make it a free service for all.

Just phoned my GP, antibiotics prescribed for a suspected urine infection and straight to chemist to pick up for free. Also picked up steroid cream and blood pressure tablets for family members. All free.

I think the issue with paying for prescriptions is that the limit for help is fairly low, so even those not on means tested benefits can be living month to month with absolutely no leeway for paying for medication they may need even on a one off basis. The cost of accomodation in this country is pushing more and more people into poverty. Thats a story for another day though, its really the cause of a lot of misery imo :(

The ideal solution perhaps would be to raise the threshold for free prescriptions.

Even an annual sub for those who dont qualify for free is a fair chunk on little disposable income.

Did you know it would cost more to administer a means tested prescription service in Scotland than to just make it a free service for all.

Just phoned my GP, antibiotics prescribed for a suspected urine infection and straight to chemist to pick up for free. Also picked up steroid cream and blood pressure tablets for family members. All free.
I was going to post the same thing.

It’s free at the point of service. You pay for it elsewhere (presuming you or someone in your household pays taxes and NI).

Norwegians and Germans, for example, pay more tax but the people of these countries hugely benefit from the services they get in return. My friend lived and worked in Norway and got three years’ maternity leave. My friend (in her 30s) in Germany spent six or eight weeks in a convalescence home (these used to be commonplace here) after surgery and treatment for breast cancer. Wages are higher too and do not require benefits to top them up. This is a massive problem in the UK. People who work should be able to support themselves. The low wage culture is tit.

Voting in covid times wasn’t bad at all today.

Was nice to watch a video of Nicola Sturgeon tell a racist that they are infact racists and not welcome in Scotland.

Not nice to see social media and the “I’m not racist BUT Jayda Fransen did have a point” mentalities. No, no she bloody well didn’t!

BBC Reporting Scottish Greens are very optimistic about the return. Nothing declared yet of course but Im happy about this :)

SNP have just taken Ayr a very traditional Unionist seat. It will of course have an affect on any list seats that the SNP may have. Id he happy with that though if I was in the SNP camp atm.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.