Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Let's be honest the only reason the SNP want younger voters is not for democracy bit because it gets them more votes. Other parties agree with it because it would be toxic to say otherwise.

They've been very successful at targeting younger people, some might say thats because they're more susceptible to the heart over head soundbites that don't stack up to critical thinking. Once you target them / their football team from a young age you've got supporters for life.

There's a good case for independence but the last decade or so of nationalism rule feels like a big step backwards.

The leader of Scottish conservatives wrote this commentary article and I agree with quite a few points
totally agree with you!

Reactions: 2
The SNP are popular in relative terms only because Labour and/or the Tories make for extremely weak opposition, neither of which seem to have much appeal to Scottish voters.

I certainly think Scotland should go independent, but only if the Scots want it. Moreover, do they want independence from the UK, but with the hope of rejoining the EU. Or do thy want complete independence from both - a kind of Scoxit? Only referendums can answer this. And none of this "the first referendum didn't go our way, therefore we will have another one and another one until we get what WE want!"

Reactions: 1
totally agree with you!
its my belief the Scottish government coronavirus press briefings are being use as a daily party political broadcast for the SNP in the form of her and her cronies mugshots being seen daily! Let's face its the same info re virus that's basically peddled daily! when it comes to brain washing Repeat! Repeat! Repeat! is the mantra!

The SNP are popular in relative terms only because Labour and/or the Tories make for extremely weak opposition, neither of which seem to have much appeal to Scottish voters.

I certainly think Scotland should go independent, but only if the Scots want it. Moreover, do they want independence from the UK, but with the hope of rejoining the EU. Or do thy want complete independence from both - a kind of Scoxit? Only referendums can answer this. And none of this "the first referendum didn't go our way, therefore we will have another one and another one until we get what WE want!"
we already had the vote for Independence and the majority voted NO!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Re: the 16&17 year olds now getting to vote in Scotland.
I will say my 16 & 18 year olds are far more politically astute than people 3/4/5 times their age who only rely on MSM for their info.

SNP absolutely are as popular as they are as they have no actual competition. The Tory’s don’t even appear to have a manifesto other than SNPBAD.
And their Scottish leaders apparent double standards when it comes to his own party misleading parliament definitely won’t do them any favours.

its my belief the Scottish government coronavirus press briefings are being use as a daily party political broadcast for the SNP in the form of her and her cronies mugshots being seen daily! Let's face its the same info re virus that's basically peddled daily! when it comes to brain washing Repeat! Repeat! Repeat! is the mantra!

we already had the vote for Independence and the majority voted NO!
I disagree re the daily briefings. I have watched the majority of these and have appreciated knowing what’s going on. I think the only time politics have been brought in is when the journalists in the Q&A sections bring them up.
I know many people in other areas wish they were kept up to date in such an open way.

Also completely disagree on the vote. Many voted under the assurance that a No vote was the only guarantee to stay in the EU. Look what happened there.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Say if Scotland gets total independence how exactly is it going to support itself financially? The EU don't want another Greece draining it. The only reason they made such a fuss of the UK leaving was the loss of revenue not because they particularly liked us or anything. Scotland will lose their money from Westminster if they become independent. So how will they manage exactly?
The North Sea oilfields are running out.
Its alright people saying they want independence but they need to do the maths first, last thing Scotland wants is social unrest because people are starving and the economy is totally collapsing.

Reactions: 6
Say if Scotland gets total independence how exactly is it going to support itself financially? The EU don't want another Greece draining it. The only reason they made such a fuss of the UK leaving was the loss of revenue not because they particularly liked us or anything. Scotland will lose their money from Westminster if they become independent. So how will they manage exactly?
The North Sea oilfields are running out.
Its alright people saying they want independence but they need to do the maths first, last thing Scotland wants is social unrest because people are starving and the economy is totally collapsing.
Let’s turn that the other way. If Scotland was such a drain on WM why do they fight so hard to keep us?
Scotland puts more in to the pot than gets back. Many of our exports (alcohol being one) are recorded as coming from elsewhere as they count from the port in which they leave the U.K.
D3152B69-6FC1-4DC0-961A-0DA807C0E546.jpeg

The polls are back to more or less 50/50 for independence - https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.s...dum-were-held-tomorrow-poll-suggests-12238501

At the peak they were 58% pro independence apparently.

It'll happen eventually, just wish it wasn't so divided and there was a clear side. Many must be so over voting all together and dreading this year's vote.
Many of the places which published this poll have backtracked. It was not based on a weighted poll, which all others, are so isn’t comparable.
I believe the actual comparable polls are due to be published later this week.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It doesnt you know, not by a long way, also its received billions in EU money, which has propped it up.
If it was a rich country then the EU would have wanted it with open arms. They didnt want to know.

Yel

I don't think money is the issue for those in Westminster, it's more about not wanting to be the ones holding the baby during the breakup of the Union and the messy divorce that will take decades to unwind.

• Haha
It doesnt you know, not by a long way, also its received billions in EU money, which has propped it up.
If it was a rich country then the EU would have wanted it with open arms. They didnt want to know.
The whole of the U.K. got money from the EU. But then we also paid billions to them. You know that money that’s now for the NHS. Oh yeah...

The whole of the U.K. got money from the EU. But then we also paid billions to them. You know that money that’s now for the NHS. Oh yeah...
I don't know why Westminster wants to keep it in the union I think national Security and Trident will play a big part in this. Probably as well they don't want to see it collapse financially and have to do some type of rescue package.

I don't know why Westminster wants to keep it in the union I think national Security and Trident will play a big part in this. Probably as well they don't want to see it collapse financially and have to do some type of rescue package.
I guess it’s something none of us will know given they aren’t renowned for their transparency.

I’d just like the opportunity to do what so many other countries have done before us. Control our own destiny. (Jeez that sounds like something straight out the mouth of an Influencer 🤣).

I thought she’d win as wasn’t the committee a majority, did the Green Party vote against?

Nicola will never resign. She's power-crazy. She makes Putin seem like quite a decent fellow. What is she trying to prove ffs?

• Angry
Reactions: 7
Report due out shortly. Can't see Nicola going either way, she'll be hanging on to at least fight the election and use that to say people still support her and the state of the snp. She knows so many are voting only because there's no decent opposition.

Nicola will never resign. She's power-crazy. She makes Putin seem like quite a decent fellow. What is she trying to prove ffs?
Ah yes, the most popular leader in Scotland, whose party has managed to stay in leadership for years due to being democratically elected, is really comparable to Volodya and his palace decked out as if he's a Tsar :rolleyes:. At the end of the day, this all comes down to the former FM's behaviour, and certain actors exploiting the situation to discredit not only the government, but the parliament as `a whole.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Breaking News: Hamilton Inquiry concludes Nicola Sturgeon DID NOT break Ministerial Code.

I thought she’d win as wasn’t the committee a majority, did the Green Party vote against?
There wasn’t a Green MSP on the Committee

FB24095C-045F-4BCC-8EF0-57CAA2BD9DE9.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
I feel so creeped out by Sturgeon. She comes across as a power mad dictator.

God knows I have my issues with the status quo here in England but she alone makes me deeply grateful I don't live in Scotland.

Maybe he's saying something in the Alba Party launch video by being so dimly lit? :LOL:

1616774431858.png

This just got a lot more interesting. The unhealthy SNP majority finally has some competition.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.