Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I didn’t manage to catch much today as I was in meetings most the day 😡 How did she come across compared to Salmond last week? I watched an hour or so of his witness and he did handle it cool, calm and collected. I was impressed with his razor sharp recollection of dates and key documents. Impressive under pressure.

Reactions: 1
She looked so rough today and out of control . I must say I didn’t believe a word of it. She looked like she was lying through her teeth the whole time .
I completely disagree.
She held her own, apologised where she should have and took every question and handled it.

By the end she looked shattered and yes you could say rough but she had just underwent 8hours of questioning. I was burst just watching it.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
If independence is your wish then really the SNP is the only logical choice for voting right now. Once Scotland is independent, we could vote for any existing or new party. Independence doesn't mean SNP forever, which I think some people forget.

Politics is far too aligned with religion up here anyway. And whatever football team you support.

Absolutely this. It's a huge political move by them just as the election period is beginning, knowing that the SNP don't really have anyone lined up to take over from her and it would leave them without a major spokesperson during campaigning. The sad thing is that I genuinely believe lots of people would be more inclined to vote for the Scottish Conservatives if they distanced themselves more from their WM counterpart, and actually fought for a better Scotland.
I disagree, I would NEVER vote Tory nor would any member of my family after they way they have treated Scotland, and their complete disdain for anyone outside of London.

Frankly I couldn't see them winning a 2 horse race with a dead ferret, they are hated too much here.

Reactions: 4
In my opinion, I think it's such a shame that years of Tory governments have treated Scotland so poorly that the SNP has been able to flourish. We are a small country and should be as one. Salmond has always made my skin crawl. He just seems one of the old school politicians from the 80s and 90s to me. Sturgeon's communication skills are great.

The inequalities in this country are quite staggering.

I'm writing this from Wales by the way.

Reactions: 9

Yel

Nicola had a few moments where she lost the calm controlled demeanor that Salmond is much better at maintaining. But she did far better than I thought she would do.

So much of the SNP is tribal and heart over head so it's easy for them to make statements that don't add up but they get repeated and it then becomes seen as an undeniable truth.

All pretty toxic to have so many people voting for something regardless of their actions.

All pretty toxic to have so many people voting for something regardless of their actions.
I think the issue isnt that they are voting regardless of their actions but instead the opposition offer very little in comparison.

Reactions: 3

Yel

I think the issue isnt that they are voting regardless of their actions but instead the opposition offer very little in comparison.
A good percentage of the tribal SNP supporters are, but yeah also lots of reluctant voters.

I don't think I've ever happy voted for someone, aways go for the least worst option and its tough.

I haven’t always voted SNP. In fact, there was a time when you couldn’t have paid me to vote them.

But the reality is now that none of the other parties offer anything of appeal to me or my family. If that changed then I may change again.

I disagree, I would NEVER vote Tory nor would any member of my family after they way they have treated Scotland, and their complete disdain for anyone outside of London.

Frankly I couldn't see them winning a 2 horse race with a dead ferret, they are hated too much here.
Oh yeah absolutely I mean they would need a complete rebrand and to distance themselves totally from their WM counterparts. I wouldn't vote for them either but I think there would be some people who could be swayed back to them IF they took that step away from WM and started fighting for Scotland.

Oh yeah absolutely I mean they would need a complete rebrand and to distance themselves totally from their WM counterparts. I wouldn't vote for them either but I think there would be some people who could be swayed back to them IF they took that step away from WM and started fighting for Scotland.
I think that could be said more for Labour than Tory’s. You wouldn’t think they were once the leading party here would you?

Reactions: 2
I watched the full thing,
I should judge myself but I don’t 😐
It’s better than anything on Netflix right now.
0E60255E-AE0A-4B09-AB96-E65B27AE17CB.jpeg

(Edit, apparently I prefer Nicola to Elle Darby 😐 the watch time on that won’t do her channel well. )

honestly thought she did well, which somehow makes her even more scary 😂

I watched the full thing,
I should judge myself but I don’t 😐
It’s better than anything on Netflix right now.
View attachment 466367
(Edit, apparently I prefer Nicola to Elle Darby 😐 the watch time on that won’t do her channel well. )

honestly thought she did well, which somehow makes her even more scary 😂
I did too 🙈 all 8 hours and to think she’s straight back in to First Ministers Questions today. She must be shattered.

She looked so rough today and out of control . I must say I didn’t believe a word of it. She looked like she was lying through her teeth the whole time .
Would have to disagree with this. The comment from Murdo requesting her to apologise for a powerful man's admitted lechery was unbelievable. Ultimately this is all about Alec, and the women who came forward. The conservatives have just seen as it a political game, and all the media and comments questioning the legitimacy of the Scottish Parliament itself are so transparent. I've found the whole trial just an example of blatant misogyny.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Exactly what I thought too; and heaven knows what she's hiding by not submitting everything she was requested to. Saying it was confidential was not her get out clause.
Totally agree she seemed to have an awful memory . Don’t trust her as far as I could throw her .

Reactions: 5
Any predictions on the report outcome?

I think it’ll be damaging to her but not lethal. The SNP will do fairly well at local elections but there will be more talk about her successor then ever would have being entertained before. I can see her lasting another year or two, but I can’t see her lasting the long term.

Nicola had a few moments where she lost the calm controlled demeanor that Salmond is much better at maintaining. But she did far better than I thought she would do.

So much of the SNP is tribal and heart over head so it's easy for them to make statements that don't add up but they get repeated and it then becomes seen as an undeniable truth.

totally agree! I call it the Braveheart mentality! before the Scottish referendum the age for voting got changed to allow 16 year olds to vote! Why did the SNP feel the need for this to happen? when the same 16 year olds are not deemed responsible enough to legally take driving lessons, or consume or buy alcohol in shops or Pubs!

This is an interesting read!

Attachments

totally agree! I call it the Braveheart mentality! before the Scottish referendum the age for voting got changed to allow 16 year olds to vote! Why did the SNP feel the need for this to happen? when the same 16 year olds are not deemed responsible enough to legally take driving lessons, or consume or buy alcohol in shops or Pubs!

This is an interesting read!
Because it’s their future maybe? You can leave school, get a job and get married at 16 so why shouldn’t you be allowed to vote? The whole point is that it engages young people in the democratic process.
I’m pretty sure all parties in Holyrood are in support of it so although it may have been an SNP motion originally it has cross party support.

Reactions: 5

Yel

Let's be honest the only reason the SNP want younger voters is not for democracy bit because it gets them more votes. Other parties agree with it because it would be toxic to say otherwise.

They've been very successful at targeting younger people, some might say thats because they're more susceptible to the heart over head soundbites that don't stack up to critical thinking. Once you target them / their football team from a young age you've got supporters for life.

There's a good case for independence but the last decade or so of nationalism rule feels like a big step backwards.

The leader of Scottish conservatives wrote this commentary article and I agree with quite a few points

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.