Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

Forget Megan on Oprah todays hearing is the entrainment I'm waiting for šŸæ

Should be starting soon.

"Jacobean revenge tragedy" šŸ¤£ someone on sky news just now

Reactions: 3
I thought she was safe yesterday but all this sudden release of documents and missing notebooks make it more and more looks like an orchestrated effort to unseat her at this point. The problem is Iā€™m not even sure sheā€™s willingly resign and there is literally no one in line to replace her. On the radio they said itā€™s 30/70 Salomon to Surgeon supporters in the party so chances are sheā€™s fairly safe.

Got the committee on now. I have a bad feeling about this, I think sheā€™ll start well but she gets very very easily frustrated and doesnā€™t hide her annoyance well. Sheā€™s going to infer heā€™s a sex pest, which may be true, but thatā€™s not todayā€™s argument!

Reactions: 1

Yel

Well the last guy they were lining up to replace her won't be in the frame since those creeping tweets at a 16 year old.

I can't see her resigning quickly if it goes badly.

Hour 4 and onwards might be interesting as she's no Salmond and struggles to reign it in even in normal length parliament sessions.

Canā€™t stand Nicola but equally think I canā€™t stand Salmond more. Iā€™m Scottish but havenā€™t lived in the UK for a good few years now. Donā€™t really understand what her attitude is all about. I know sheā€™s a typical politician but I just cannot stand her anti England attitude she has.

Fun fact: my English teacher at school was Jack McConnellā€™s son. Weirdo.
Jack McConnell was my MSP... wonder if we are from similar areas.

Feel the same about Nicola and Alex. Both crap but Salmond pips her to the post. He makes me feel dirty looking at him. Defo creep vibes from him.

Reactions: 2
Sorry if I've missed it but who do you think will replace her? If she resigns that is
Sweeney temporarily but he wasnā€™t great in the interim.

There isnā€™t a huge field of people in the frame. Iā€™d imagine a fair few will throw their hat in the ring but canā€™t see many going forward.

I feel like even if she resigns the SNP arent gonna wane too much in popularity for the reasons mentioned previously in this thread. Will it harm there independence push? Perhaps. Will it lose them there majority at HR. I don't thinkso.

The 'cult' as theyve been called want independence at any cost. Could be a trained monkey at the helm and theyd vote for it.

The people voting SNP because there is no other viable opposition are probably still going to vote SNP Nicola or no Nicola.

The people who dont vote SNP because they dont like Nicola might be more likely to vote SNP with someone else at the helm.

The people who vote Conservative in England arent voting Conservative because Boris is such a likeable individual surely? šŸ¤Æ

Reactions: 5
I hope if a vote of no confidence is brought about by the Tories then they do the same in WM.
Although that wonā€™t happen as it seems breaking Ministerial Code is allowed to be swept under the carpet there.
So far I think sheā€™s holding her own although it is still early.
Really sticks in my goat that all of this wouldnā€™t have happened had AS not behaved inappropriately towards women (which he has admitted).

I hope if a vote of no confidence is brought about by the Tories then they do the same in WM.
Although that wonā€™t happen as it seems breaking Ministerial Code is allowed to be swept under the carpet there.
So far I think sheā€™s holding her own although it is still early.
Really sticks in my goat that all of this wouldnā€™t have happened had AS not behaved inappropriately towards women (which he has admitted).
I agree, sheā€™s holding up fairly well.

We have all the WhatsApp messages from her husband to go yet though.

I have always voted SNP, voted yes in the independence referendum but I wonā€™t be voting SNP in May. I donā€™t want another referendum (yet), I donā€™t like their handling of Covid, I work across health and education and think the SNP have absolutely wrecked both systems and the fact theyā€™re delayed the release of the OECD report into education til after the election makes me suspicious. Thatā€™s before I even take all this tit show into consideration! I think he undoubtedly behaved inappropriately but the whole thing stinks to high heavens - far too much of a a cliquey ā€œin crowdā€ all massaging each otherā€™s egos I think. Iā€™m basically politically homeless now - Iā€™d never vote Tory, Scottish Labour are a joke, I canā€™t forgive the Lib Dem for Nick Clegg. Iā€™ve voted Green second vote in the past but all they do is prop up the SNP šŸ˜©
I am enjoying the shade being thrown between the convener and deputy convener though šŸ˜‚ did anyone hear someone in the background whisper ā€œoh godā€ at one point when the deputy convener was speaking?
Edited to add - I do love Andy Wightman who resigned from the Greens to stick to his principles šŸ‘šŸ»

Reactions: 4
The convener always shutting down any questions when it gets uncomfortable for sturgeon

Reactions: 3
I have always voted SNP, voted yes in the independence referendum but I wonā€™t be voting SNP in May. I donā€™t want another referendum (yet), I donā€™t like their handling of Covid, I work across health and education and think the SNP have absolutely wrecked both systems and the fact theyā€™re delayed the release of the OECD report into education til after the election makes me suspicious. Thatā€™s before I even take all this tit show into consideration! I think he undoubtedly behaved inappropriately but the whole thing stinks to high heavens - far too much of a a cliquey ā€œin crowdā€ all massaging each otherā€™s egos I think. Iā€™m basically politically homeless now - Iā€™d never vote Tory, Scottish Labour are a joke, I canā€™t forgive the Lib Dem for Nick Clegg. Iā€™ve voted Green second vote in the past but all they do is prop up the SNP šŸ˜©
I am enjoying the shade being thrown between the convener and deputy convener though šŸ˜‚ did anyone hear someone in the background whisper ā€œoh godā€ at one point when the deputy convener was speaking?
Edited to add - I do love Andy Wightman who resigned from the Greens to stick to his principles šŸ‘šŸ»
Thatā€™s a really fair assessment.

I truly believe lots of people in Scotland are feeling the same. Labour have little hope of regaining their former strength here. The Scottish Labour Party is just a prop up office from Westminster. I live in an ex Labour stronghold, now SNP, last election I had people from UKIP- bleeping UKIP- canvass. Along with Tories, LDs, Greens and SNP. Nothing from Labour. Itā€™s a disgrace.

I will vote SNP in May. I donā€™t feel there is a viable alternative. Personally, I donā€™t feel an independence vote right now would be the right thing.

In honesty itā€™s quite disgusting watching the Scottish Cons frothing over breach of ministerial code and calling for resignations. They were notably silent on every single unlawful act carried out by their cohorts at Westminister. Yet, NS was vocal calling them out so is this hypocritical of her/SNP?

See, itā€™s got me going back and forth on this. NS/SNP have questions to answer, absolutely. I think the issue is that ANY party having sole dominance at the polls with no real opposition is bad for the country. We have this in Scotland but we also have this at Westminster . Itā€™s all tit.

Reactions: 8
If independence is your wish then really the SNP is the only logical choice for voting right now. Once Scotland is independent, we could vote for any existing or new party. Independence doesn't mean SNP forever, which I think some people forget.

Politics is far too aligned with religion up here anyway. And whatever football team you support.

In honesty itā€™s quite disgusting watching the Scottish Cons frothing over breach of ministerial code and calling for resignations. They were notably silent on every single unlawful act carried out by their cohorts at Westminister. Yet, NS was vocal calling them out so is this hypocritical of her/SNP?
Absolutely this. It's a huge political move by them just as the election period is beginning, knowing that the SNP don't really have anyone lined up to take over from her and it would leave them without a major spokesperson during campaigning. The sad thing is that I genuinely believe lots of people would be more inclined to vote for the Scottish Conservatives if they distanced themselves more from their WM counterpart, and actually fought for a better Scotland.

Politics is far too aligned with religion up here anyway. And whatever football team you support.
Ugh - tell me about it. I hate how divided the country is, why canā€™t people just get on regardless of religion (or lack there of), politics or football. Itā€™s particularly bad in Glasgow.

I will also be voting SNP in May.
Thereā€™s just no other party in the mix who even stand close in putting Scotland first, in my opinion.

Reactions: 8
See, itā€™s got me going back and forth on this. NS/SNP have questions to answer, absolutely. I think the issue is that ANY party having sole dominance at the polls with no real opposition is bad for the country. We have this in Scotland but we also have this at Westminster . Itā€™s all tit.
This hits the nail on the head for me and is the problem with Holyrood and Westminster - democracy only functions properly with a robust opposition and we donā€™t have that!

If independence is your wish then really the SNP is the only logical choice for voting right now. Once Scotland is independent, we could vote for any existing or new party. Independence doesn't mean SNP forever, which I think some people forget.
I would usually totally agree with this and I *do* want independence but I donā€™t think now is the time for a referendum until we know what impact covid has had long term on a lot of things. I donā€™t want the SNP to take my vote for them as a mandate for a quick referendum even though ultimately I want independence (and agree would then never vote SNP after that!). In my constituency itā€™s a straight fight between Tory and SNP which leaves me with nothing!

I would usually totally agree with this and I *do* want independence but I donā€™t think now is the time for a referendum until we know what impact covid has had long term on a lot of things. I donā€™t want the SNP to take my vote for them as a mandate for a quick referendum even though ultimately I want independence (and agree would then never vote SNP after that!). In my constituency itā€™s a straight fight between Tory and SNP which leaves me with nothing!
I think the Greens might get a good surge in votes this time around as I think a lot of people who would usually vote SNP will be looking elsewhere, for lots of different reasons. I know people who are considering other parties this time around for the same reason as you, but also those who think she's waited too long to call a second referendum and don't believe Nicola Sturgeon can get the job done, and also those who are unhappy with decisions made around covid - mainly schools and business support. It'll definitely be an interesting election.

She looked so rough today and out of control . I must say I didnā€™t believe a word of it. She looked like she was lying through her teeth the whole time .

Reactions: 7
She looked so rough today and out of control . I must say I didnā€™t believe a word of it. She looked like she was lying through her teeth the whole time .
Exactly what I thought too; and heaven knows what she's hiding by not submitting everything she was requested to. Saying it was confidential was not her get out clause.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.