NHS - good & not so good stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not an NHS experience this time but to say my parents neighbour is a manager at the NHS and has a gorgeous BMW company car. That tells us a lot on how this organisation is run.
It would be a lease car. They still pay for it.

Reactions: 1
I would advise you to get a MRI of the brain. Do you have a private clinic you can go to?

do you use an aerochamber for youre asthma medication?

hope You can get help you need!
Unfortunately can’t afford to go private as I’m only a student!
Yes I use an aero chamber and I use it correctly as I’ve watched a few tutorials🤣

If you don't already do so i would recommend to always do a subject access request before any complaint is made. It really does help you make your complaint and can stop things getting lost.....
I'm quoting an old post but this is great advice and something I didn't even consider so thank you.

I was in hospital very recently and want to make a complaint about a few things that went wrong. I'm just looking at subject access request form...how long did it take before they responded with the information you requested?

I'm quoting an old post but this is great advice and something I didn't even consider so thank you.

I was in hospital very recently and want to make a complaint about a few things that went wrong. I'm just looking at subject access request form...how long did it take before they responded with the information you requested?
With a SAR the company normally has to respond within a month

A GP once told me he wouldn’t prescribe me anything, I was just to take paracetamol and rest and eventually I’d get over a viral infection, clearly thought I was a hypochondriac when I said it physically hurt to breathe, I had vomited daily from coughing for 10 days in a row, had a fever for days and days etc, anyway 2 days later I got another appointment with a different GP who concluded that I had a bacterial infection not a viral one, he gave me antibiotics and medication and 5 days later I was much better, could have saved myself a couple of days of misery if that first GP hadn’t dismissed me and told me to just take pain!

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I never thought I’d feel this way about the NHS but I do. Firstly they missed my dad’s cancer for over a year and blamed his symptoms on something else. Thank goodness he’s cancer free but they had so many opportunities to pick it up and they didn’t. The care he received after his operation was disgusting (not helping him to wash a day after having a colectomy, forgetting to give him morphine, ignoring him when he was buzzing for help all whilst 7/8 “nurses” are sat talking about their weekend plans). And then my nan went into hospital and was diagnosed with heart failure, only for her to pass away from sepsis. I’m so angry that they missed it. I know we can never bring her back and I’m probably wanting to find someone to blame but both these experiences have opened my eyes

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
There’s good and bad in every profession but it grinds my gears now that NHS staff are treated like untouchables in society.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I never thought I’d feel this way about the NHS but I do. Firstly they missed my dad’s cancer for over a year and blamed his symptoms on something else. Thank goodness he’s cancer free but they had so many opportunities to pick it up and they didn’t. The care he received after his operation was disgusting (not helping him to wash a day after having a colectomy, forgetting to give him morphine, ignoring him when he was buzzing for help all whilst 7/8 “nurses” are sat talking about their weekend plans). And then my nan went into hospital and was diagnosed with heart failure, only for her to pass away from sepsis. I’m so angry that they missed it. I know we can never bring her back and I’m probably wanting to find someone to blame but both these experiences have opened my eyes
I posted my story at the beginning of the thread, this (BIB) is what happened to my sister. absolutely no care was given, so I have to move into the hospital to look after her. Also, different consultants had different opinions on meds and treatment which caused my sister to lose her right side totally and become bedbound and at the mercy of the uncaring staff . My sister was so terrified of going back she had a DNRO drawn up and we carried it everywhere until she died

My sister 's story https://tattle.life/threads/nhs-good-not-so-good-stories.19451/#post-4953895

Some moreon this post.

There’s good and bad in every profession but it grinds my gears now that NHS staff are treated like untouchables in society.
Yes, there was a thread here and you got short shrift if you even suggested nurses were not always angels, including my mum/sister aunty is a nurse and the kindest loving person who is hurt when people suggest nurses can be unkind. I'm sorry but if you are a good nurse Dr you will know about those nurses and Drs who do the bare minimum for their wage and if you are not talking about them to your family and your bosses, then you are part of the problem. Don't shut me down and tell me this isn't the right place when the whole thread is praising nurses and other NHS staff. That is the perfect place because so many will be shocked to the core if a loved one goes into hospital and is unlucky enough to have a gaggle of those uncaring nurses that my sister had.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
I posted my story at the beginning of the thread, this (BIB) is what happened to my sister. absolutely no care was given, so I have to move into the hospital to look after her. Also, different consultants had different opinions on meds and treatment which caused my sister to lose her right side totally and become bedbound and at the mercy of the uncaring staff . My sister was so terrified of going back she had a DNRO drawn up and we carried it everywhere until she died

My sister 's story https://tattle.life/threads/nhs-good-not-so-good-stories.19451/#post-4953895

Some moreon this post.

Yes, there was a thread here and you got short shrift if you even suggested nurses were not always angels, including my mum/sister aunty is a nurse and the kindest loving person who is hurt when people suggest nurses can be unkind. I'm sorry but if you are a good nurse Dr you will know about those nurses and Drs who do the bare minimum for their wage and if you are not talking about them to your family and your bosses, then you are part of the problem. Don't shut me down and tell me this isn't the right place when the whole thread is praising nurses and other NHS staff. That is the perfect place because so many will be shocked to the core if a loved one goes into hospital and is unlucky enough to have a gaggle of those uncaring nurses that my sister had.
I work in a hospital in an administrative role and I am gobsmacked at how some of the nurses behave they don't have an ounce of compassion and I think they must be nursing as it is a way of controlling people who are vulnerable and in some instances helpless. Angels my ar*e some of them are too lazy or incompetent to note that patients need water or that the water jug cannot be reached by a frail patient. I also note that quite a few nurses have said they didn't know what to do with life so they became nurses, so its a vocation is it? I don't thinks so for some of them.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Cri
I work in a hospital in an administrative role and I am gobsmacked at how some of the nurses behave they don't have an ounce of compassion and I think they must be nursing as it is a way of controlling people who are vulnerable and in some instances helpless. Angels my ar*e some of them are too lazy or incompetent to note that patients need water or that the water jug cannot be reached by a frail patient. I also note that quite a few nurses have said they didn't know what to do with life so they became nurses, so its a vocation is it? I don't thinks so for some of them.
key. I would have thought you would be a bit more understanding regarding nurses currently and the tit they are facing instead of back stabbing them

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
Cri

key. I would have thought you would be a bit more understanding regarding nurses currently and the tit they are facing instead of back stabbing them
My mum died n 2011 and they were just as bad then and there was no financial crisis at the time I said SOME of them and I am not backstabbing them. As for the tit they are facing what about the tit some of their patients are facing lying in their beds pressing their buzzers desperate for water or to go to the loo. One poor bloke had an op for an enlarged prostate, his wife said he was pressing the buzzer constantly for 45 mins for a bedpan before he wet himself. And 5 minutes later a nursie turned up and berated him for wetting the bed, while she had been gossiping and giggling at the nurses station. I don't need to be understanding about that kind of disgusting behaviour from one of our "ANGELS".

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My mum died n 2011 and they were just as bad then and there was no financial crisis at the time I said SOME of them and I am not backstabbing them. As for the tit they are facing what about the tit some of their patients are facing lying in their beds pressing their buzzers desperate for water or to go to the loo. One poor bloke had an op for an enlarged prostate, his wife said he was pressing the buzzer constantly for 45 mins for a bedpan before he wet himself. And 5 minutes later a nursie turned up and berated him for wetting the bed, while she had been gossiping and giggling at the nurses station. I don't need to be understanding about that kind of disgusting behaviour from one of our "ANGELS".
Interesting how you know the nurse was just gossiping and not doing her job. If it is true yes that’s terrible but just cause nurses are talking to other staff does not mean they are gossiping.

• Haha
Cri

Facing tit should not make you uncaring. I was a carer and going through some awful nightmare situations and not once did the people I look after suffer for what was going on in my life and nor should they.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Interesting how you know the nurse was just gossiping and not doing her job. If it is true yes that’s terrible but just cause nurses are talking to other staff does not mean they are gossiping.
Okay talking to other staff while whooping and giggling, ok fine they were probably talking about work.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Strangely you can tell of its work related by the excitement and laughter in their voices. How must people like my sister have felt having seizures while nurses didn't even bother looking her way?

• Sad
Reactions: 3
A health care took a video of herself using a dildo in a walk in cupboard in the hospital during work hours, she emailed it to her bf who a few months later forwarded it to all and sundry until it eventuatally landed in the inbox of the head of nursing OMG!!

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 6
Not an NHS experience this time but to say my parents neighbour is a manager at the NHS and has a gorgeous BMW company car. That tells us a lot on how this organisation is run.
Yea it’s ran through the fleet car scheme so dependant on your wage , it shows what cars are available for your band and then it comes out your wage each month

Pretty much just like a normal finance scheme that any car company runs

Okay talking to other staff while whooping and giggling, ok fine they were probably talking about work.
Im sorry for your experiencing. I agree with a lot of things on this board but Im a nurse and no not a saint, dont need anyone to clap for me. But the times people have shouted at us for simply just laughing or drinking a cup of tea during or break which yes is visible from where some patients lay or where visitors can see us and then be shouted at for only drinking tea the whole day is getting a bit old. It's sometimes like people dont understand that we have bodily functions that need to be taking care of and yes sometimes we laugh at jokes.

And this is not to say that anyone should let a patients call for 45 min that is not acceptable.