NHS - good & not so good stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t know if this is the right thread but I couldnt find a general NHS thread . I’d like to start off my saying I think NHS workers are SOOO underpaid for what they do and I really am thankful we don’t have a set up like for example America where it all comes down to insurance and a doc app costs £400,000 .

Anyway if anyone could explain to me because I can’t work out - why are they striking when it’s a known fact the NHS is failing and underpays everyone , this is not new news . I do get the idea of making noise around the situation for a change and I think they should get mass pay increases and improved budgets along with teachers and the other emergency services . I just can’t understand why people go for the jobs knowing what they are getting in too . It’s not like it’s really easy to get into these positions ,midwife’s have 3/4 years of uni to become an underpaid NHS worker . I don’t know I get it totally but I also just don’t get it . I realise everything I’ve wrote is a mass contradiction lol
Because some of them have worked in the NHS since it was much better? In the 00s it was reasonably well paid.
Because some of them have worked in the NHS since before Covid, when things were not as bad? Because the money issue affects the lower paid nurses but the higher paid nurses want to support their colleagues?

Reactions: 3
Because some of them have worked in the NHS since it was much better? In the 00s it was reasonably well paid.
Because some of them have worked in the NHS since before Covid, when things were not as bad? Because the money issue affects the lower paid nurses but the higher paid nurses want to support their colleagues?
I can sense your tone with your question marks ? I’m not looking for an argument I’m looking to be educated . I don’t understand why people still bother with NHS jobs when the pay is tit and then complain about it. As I have said, They should all be paid thousands more than what they are on and I agree that creating noise around it I.e striking is the only was to get noticed but I just don’t get how people still train , apply for and take a low paid job like that .

Reactions: 4
I can sense your tone with your question marks ? I’m not looking for an argument I’m looking to be educated . I don’t understand why people still bother with NHS jobs when the pay is tit and then complain about it. As I have said, They should all be paid thousands more than what they are on and I agree that creating noise around it I.e striking is the only was to get noticed but I just don’t get how people still train , apply for and take a low paid job like that .
I wonder if some people get NHS jobs because they need a job. If these are the only vacancies, people will apply for them , rather than long term unemployment on benefits.
Location may be another factor. For example, a hospital may be a big employer in a certain area.

Perhaps they shouldn’t bother.
I find it bizarre that you don’t think things can change.

Perhaps they shouldn’t bother.
I find it bizarre that you don’t think things can change.
could you show me where I said things can’t change? Stop trying to read between the lines and read what I actually wrote. I never said don’t bother striking and I never said they don’t deserve a pay rise and bigger budgets . What I said was why are they striking and why are people still going into these jobs. So funny no one can have an opinion or question the the NHS striking but we can have a whole thread on NHS staff good paid and bad paid that are total an utter wankers to patients LOLS

could you show me where I said things can’t change? Stop trying to read between the lines and read what I actually wrote. I never said don’t bother striking and I never said they don’t deserve a pay rise and bigger budgets . What I said was why are they striking and why are people still going into these jobs. So funny no one can have an opinion or question the the NHS striking but we can have a whole thread on NHS staff good paid and bad paid that are total an utter wankers to patients LOLS
And I already answered your question as to why people go into these jobs, and why they might go into them and strike at a later date, because things change.
So no, I can’t show you where you said “things can’t change” but I can show you where I said things can change and you repeated your question as to why people take these jobs. Perhaps you could read a NMC or RCN or a trade union website to understand real peoples reasons for wanting to enter nursing.

And I already answered your question as to why people go into these jobs, and why they might go into them and strike at a later date, because things change.
So no, I can’t show you where you said “things can’t change” but I can show you where I said things can change and you repeated your question as to why people take these jobs. Perhaps you could read a NMC or RCN or a trade union website to understand real peoples reasons for wanting to enter nursing.
But you find it bizarre that I think things can’t change? k beb …. Maybe have a nap and read posts before you respond to them . Peace and Love I really hope the NHS gets a massive pay increase for all the underpaid and over worked staff and my gas bill goes back down to £40 a month and my council tax doesn’t go up in April

But you find it bizarre that I think things can’t change? k beb …. Maybe have a nap and read posts before you respond to them . Peace and Love I really hope the NHS gets a massive pay increase for all the underpaid and over worked staff and my gas bill goes back down to £40 a month and my council tax doesn’t go up in April
Why do I need a nap? is that aimed at my disability? Low.

Interesting thread. When I was younger and done my training I really had no idea how much money it actually takes to run a house, raise a family and genuinely believed that I was doing well for myself by getting a degree and working in the NHS but as someone mentioned on here so many people I went to school with who were the biggest school bullies now call themselves nurses and it has taken all of my pride out of working out for the NHS. (Im not a nurse but closely reksted). Kinda made me realise any Tom, dick and Harry can get into the NHS and its nothing to be proud of these days. In my opinion anyway.

I do however also think some patients treat the NHS like its BUPA. Trying to dictate appointment times that suit them. They don't understand certain clinics only operate on certain days so no you can't have your app on a Tuesday instead of a Thursday. We try to be as accommodating as possible but some people are down right rude when we don't bend over backwards for them.

Reactions: 5
I do however also think some patients treat the NHS like its BUPA. Trying to dictate appointment times that suit them. They don't understand certain clinics only operate on certain days so no you can't have your app on a Tuesday instead of a Thursday. We try to be as accommodating as possible but some people are down right rude when we don't bend over backwards for them.
I do think the model of we will post you a date and time for an appointment and that's what you've got is very antiquated. If you call to change it because it isn't convenient you are made to feel like tit and then given one 3 months later than the one you were posted a day before.

And if the letter doesn't turn up then you're the villain!

Even if letters said this clinic is held every Monday afternoon, call or log online to book or similar. At least the patient knows the limitations.

Reactions: 4
Because they want to be a dr/nurse/hca etc and the NHS unlike the private sector offers job security(!) and a stable income. The staff working there know how much the government is underfunding the NHS. The NHS when properly funded would be an amazing place to work. To me it's not a strike over pay it's more over working conditions and how the NHS isn't fit for purpose. It's not as safe as it could be (one example agency staff being used instead of regular staff) and it just needs a complete overhaul. Staff are going to work knowing they are going to be doing the job of 3 people. Every day. It's mentally and physically draining and staff are going on sick with mental health issues as a result of everything.
I understand off topic slightly.

• Heart
The thing with healthcare pay is how much is enough for what they do? I agree that they should be paid more, but I'm not sure how much more.

I also think care work is a job that is severely under appreciated and care workers are on minimum wage I believe, which is a disgrace.

When It comes to important jobs, healthcare is a sector in which it's workers should absolutely be rewarded well.

Reactions: 2
I filled an online questionnaire at my GPs
He rang me the next day
last weekend I had an MRI scan, everyone was so kind at the hospital, everything was explained and their attentiveness was fantastic, before and since my GP has rang once a week to see how I am and frankly I'm amazed, just waiting to see what course of action they are going to take
I did think it would take months but the whole experience from filing in an online patient form to Medication, blood tests and scan has been four/five weeks 🤷
Well thank god for that trainee doctor who pushed for the MRI, it picked something up and I had to have major surgery, the recovery has been slow it will take about a year to recover but if it hadn’t been for him I would be dead
The staff at hospital were fantastic from the admission staff to the surgeon who held my hand until I was under, the ICU staff and general ward staff, I will be eternally grateful to each and every one of them ❤

• Heart
Went inside my GP surgery for the first time since March 2020 today but not before the receptionist from hell had me nearly in tears over the intercom. The sound quality of the 'com was shocking. I could not hear her and my hearing is fine, she probably couldn't hear me as she was going to refuse to let me in for being an hour early...except I wasn't, she was the one who was getting the time wrong. Rather than admit her mistake, she just made me feel like utter tit and all but called me a liar.

She then made a poor guy nearly cry because he was being given the run around over a perscription for his ill wife. He was English second language but perfectly understandable and the way she spoke to him was downright disgusting, like he was stupid. Dare I say, it came across as very racist on her part.

How do people like this awful woman get away with their continued appalling behaviour?

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I’ve just a really bad experience with an nhs occupational therapist (basically lying about what help I’m entitled to). I swear they must get a Christmas bonus for every person they deny help to.

• Sad
The NHS has been very quiet of late, they haven’t said they are on the brink of collapse for a few weeks now 😆 Scared how that would look when we have pictures on every TV of Palestinian hospitals bombed into the ground? Maybe.

I am so over the NHS. I pay national insurance for nothing, can't see a GP, have had to private with dental care and next I'll be going private for my mental health care as I can't stand the waiting YEARS for any help. My condition has ruined my whole life and the NHS has offered me 0 help or support.

I do appreciate the workers and everything and it's not their fault, but I am sick of having to go private when NHS care should be available for everyone. It's inaccessible at the moment and I can't see it ever getting any better sadly.

• Heart
Reactions: 6