NHS - good & not so good stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What is this? Is it a request to see the notes?
You can request any data an organisation or company holds on you by doing a subject access request. In my case i requested the notes etc from the night i was in hospital. And the incident reports that were generated and had my name on. It helped build a picture and point out where things had gone terribly wrong that night. It really does help build your complaint.
Another bit of advice for anyone here is advocacy. I have a specific mental health focused advocate who deals only with the hospital trust i am complaining to. PALS will be able to provide local advocacy organisations to help you which are free of charge. I don't know how i would still be fighting this nearly 3 years on without my advocates fantastic support and understanding of the system and processes.

Reactions: 6
A few years ago I was pregnant. I was bleeding like I was miscarrying every day, but the baby was still there. Was in and out of hospital for most of my pregnancy. Nothing worse than putting a woman who's at risk of losing her baby on a ward with all the mums and their new babies. Whilst on that ward, listening to the new mums soothing their babies, my waters went. I went downstairs in the labour wards to be started off as my contractions had stopped. I gave birth to my daughter at 21 weeks and she was alive for 44 minutes. I had 2 midwives with me who were lovely. There was a locum on at the time - he came in to see that I had had her, and that she was breathing, and then he came in again when she had died. Then he wrote on a form that she was born dead. The midwives couldnt understand why he had wrote that she werent breathing when she infact was. So because of this, she had to go and have an autopsy. But there was a backlog so she was in the fridges for about 3 weeks. Autopsy said she was born alive and then died so I got a birth certificate and a death certificate. Her death was logged as extreme prematurity instead of late miscarriage. Then there was a little backlog at the funeral home which couldnt be helped as it was easter weekend at the time. I went to see her at the chapel of rest and it was grim. The lady at the funeral home was nice and was trying to warn me but in a nice way saying you know, she really needs to have her funeral now. She had started to decompose. I couldnt wait to cremate her. The thought of her rotting away in them fridges because 1 doctor made a mistake and said she was born dead when she clearly wasnt.

Any other experience I have had with the NHS has been good though. I've never had to wait too long and always been seen on time. Their mental health services is a bit tit but i've learned to bury that. If I have ever gone with the kids, which is hardly ever, we've always been seen pretty quickly.
I am so sorry for your terrible loss, and that it was compounded in such an awful way xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m slightly biased but I do find the nursing and midwives (and assistants) are more helpful and understanding that doctors who just see it as a job in some cases. When I lost my daughter the midwives were incredible. Angels in fact and I hate that analogy. The doctor was very clinical.
I have felt very coerced, patronised and bullied by consultants and found much more help from the hospital midwives - they seem to respect the woman more and listen to what she wants as well.

Community midwives I haven’t had a great experience of but I think that’s just my one.

Reactions: 3
I have felt very coerced, patronised and bullied by consultants and found much more help from the hospital midwives - they seem to respect the woman more and listen to what she wants as well.

Community midwives I haven’t had a great experience of but I think that’s just my one.
I had a very bad experience with my community midwives but the hospital midwives were fantastic.

A few years ago I was pregnant. I was bleeding like I was miscarrying every day, but the baby was still there. Was in and out of hospital for most of my pregnancy. Nothing worse than putting a woman who's at risk of losing her baby on a ward with all the mums and their new babies. Whilst on that ward, listening to the new mums soothing their babies, my waters went. I went downstairs in the labour wards to be started off as my contractions had stopped. I gave birth to my daughter at 21 weeks and she was alive for 44 minutes. I had 2 midwives with me who were lovely. There was a locum on at the time - he came in to see that I had had her, and that she was breathing, and then he came in again when she had died. Then he wrote on a form that she was born dead. The midwives couldnt understand why he had wrote that she werent breathing when she infact was. So because of this, she had to go and have an autopsy. But there was a backlog so she was in the fridges for about 3 weeks. Autopsy said she was born alive and then died so I got a birth certificate and a death certificate. Her death was logged as extreme prematurity instead of late miscarriage. Then there was a little backlog at the funeral home which couldnt be helped as it was easter weekend at the time. I went to see her at the chapel of rest and it was grim. The lady at the funeral home was nice and was trying to warn me but in a nice way saying you know, she really needs to have her funeral now. She had started to decompose. I couldnt wait to cremate her. The thought of her rotting away in them fridges because 1 doctor made a mistake and said she was born dead when she clearly wasnt.

Any other experience I have had with the NHS has been good though. I've never had to wait too long and always been seen on time. Their mental health services is a bit tit but i've learned to bury that. If I have ever gone with the kids, which is hardly ever, we've always been seen pretty quickly.
I’m so terribly sorry that you went through this. It must have been unimaginably lonely, infuriating and difficult. Sending you all much love. xxx

• Heart
My community midwife was a bully. I was young and naive and looking back I was treated appallingly

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I gave birth to my youngest daughter overseas and the difference between my NHS birth and non is a million miles apart. I was so scared in having a second child I waited 8 years. During the birth I went through 3 midwife shifts. The first shift I had a retired midwife who was so kind and gentle. The other two were horrors. The final part of the birth was traumatic and my daughter nearly died. They brought in a junior doctor who was hopeless. Terrible experience all round. Only to be discharged and given a bully of a community midwife who made me breast feed through mastitis.
There are genuinely lovely people working for the NHS but there are also awful people who should look for another form of employment.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I had a terrible midwife with my youngest, she just couldn’t be arsed, she told me to fill in the majority of my notes myself but the ones she did fill in she put I was a smoker (I wasn’t) & that I was allergic to penicillin (I’m not) I had numerous calls from a quit smoking helpline sometimes 2-3 times a day, I blocked their number in the end, after I had my baby she refused to come out & sign us off after day 10, the weather was really bad (snow, ice) didn’t fancy taking a newborn & my other kids out for a 2 mile round trip to the clinic so I didn’t go, she turned up at my house at teatime with a right face on her, huffing & puffing, quickly weighed my son, signed us off & left, she also put I was breastfeeding (I wasn’t) so I had calls from helplines for that too!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
I completed my own midwife notes with my last pregnancy. Said I wanted to kill myself at one point and wrote “coping fine” in my notes, the only time she wrote in them. Got told horrific news about my daughter at 20 week scan and they left us in the staff room for 90 mins and told us “not to Google”. They booked me in for 4 GTT tests with the first at 12 weeks as my BMI was 36. I hated their guts so much I switched to another team just before my daughters birth/death.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
The NHS is on the whole, fantastic. I have been fortunate with my health and haven’t ever needed a hospital stay or even treatment beyond some minor diagnostic stuff over the years but have numerous relatives who received amazing emergency care and ongoing treatment without which they’d be dead or incredibly ill / blind / disabled. I’ve witnessed first hand the professionalism and care of some amazing amazing staff and really there are just never enough ways to thank those people.

I am expecting a baby and doing that through my private cover, the level of care and attention is fantastic, my consultant is available any time, I can always speak to the same person/team, my questions are answered, I could even take my husband to appointments before the NHS department in the same hospital building allowed that. My husband is also receiving private treatment for a joint injury - can see a consultant immediately, an MRI booked within a few days, follow up appointment and treatment booked within the following two weeks and well on his way to recovery. He wouldn’t have even had an assessment by now through the NHS as he was told in January that his GP simply wouldn’t be able to refer him “due to covid”. I’m very fortunate to have private cover and am glad that I can take some very small burden away from a struggling NHS but it’s a shame that people feel they need to because the backlog is so huge and the levels of care simply aren’t there. I don’t for one second believe the expertise or level of actual medical treatment is much better (my obstetrician works for private patients and the NHS for example) but there is less stress on them, less pressure, better access to facilities and referrals and they can therefore deliver better care.

It is frustrating at times that there seems to be so many millions ploughed in to the system that is mismanaged and spent in the wrong areas. Their technology and IT needs massively overhauling (absurd that paper notes are still relied upon and lost in 2021, that certain systems just don’t work well, etc). Middle managers who earn fortunes doing god knows what and on people who have been brought in from a consulting firm when more decision making needs to be done with people who are on the ground, working day in day out and know what they need and how better to spend money to deliver the best care.

There are unfortunately some bad eggs - uncaring staff, people who don’t want to be there, who cut corners; people who are not good at their jobs and fight against efficiency and common sense. I very much believe they are the minority but unfortunately bad news travels faster and stories of poor care and preventable tragedies will always overshadow so much of the good that is done.
I filled an online questionnaire at my GPs
He rang me the next day
last weekend I had an MRI scan, everyone was so kind at the hospital, everything was explained and their attentiveness was fantastic, before and since my GP has rang once a week to see how I am and frankly I'm amazed, just waiting to see what course of action they are going to take
I did think it would take months but the whole experience from filing in an online patient form to Medication, blood tests and scan has been four/five weeks 🤷

Reactions: 2
My mum had a really bad NHS experience a few years ago. She was messed around by the GPs for almost a year and constantly misdiagnosed before one of them figured out she might have spinal TB. They kept sending her to a physiotherapist for her back pain even though she said it had come out of nowhere and she hadn't injured herself. I remember going with her to one appointment where the GP pretty much accused her of not trying and basically saying she was wasting their time and the appointments are only for people who were "physically unwell".

Only after she was getting bodily shakes and thigh pain, one of the GPs (who was way nicer and more concerned than the others) sent her of for CT and MRI scans and a biopsy followed after that. After her diagnosis everything else went pretty smoothly, but she had to continue taking steroids for longer than expected due to the late diagnosis.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I care for my husband who is disabled and having to fight for hospital appointments (long before covid) he's in end stage blindness and nothing more can be done so he's been completely written off. His gp decided to stop one of his pain medications earlier this year and a receptionist rang him one afternoon to tell him of her decision, I had to call 3 times demanding a gp call us back whilst frantically looking through his medical history that he had been prescribed this medication by a hospital consultant. The receptionist was adamant that he would not be recieving the medication anymore, I had to say I am not medically trained at all and wouldn't be able to treat him if he had any side effects from the medication being suddenly withdrawn. A gp called back and reinstated the medication within 30 minutes.

• Sad
Read lots and lots of bad stories so wanted to add a good one from today.

This morning I had an MRI scan, and after changing into the gown you have to wear there were a few self-harm scars visible on my arms. I did my best to try and hide them. However the nurse who was taking me to the scan area saw them. She just gave me a massive hug and told me everything was going to be okay.

I was a bit nervous and upset for the MRI anyway as I hate small spaces but the kindness of this lovely nurse just sent me over the edge in emotions. (In a good way). She was so caring and really made sure I was ok throughout the scan and before I went home. Some may seem this as something so small, but to me in a time of distress, it meant the world.

Some people are quick to judge the NHS (myself included) but there really are some amazing people working for it. Happy New Year all ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Read lots and lots of bad stories so wanted to add a good one from today.

This morning I had an MRI scan, and after changing into the gown you have to wear there were a few self-harm scars visible on my arms. I did my best to try and hide them. However the nurse who was taking me to the scan area saw them. She just gave me a massive hug and told me everything was going to be okay.

I was a bit nervous and upset for the MRI anyway as I hate small spaces but the kindness of this lovely nurse just sent me over the edge in emotions. (In a good way). She was so caring and really made sure I was ok throughout the scan and before I went home. Some may seem this as something so small, but to me in a time of distress, it meant the world.

Some people are quick to judge the NHS (myself included) but there really are some amazing people working for it. Happy New Year all ❤
That is such a lovely reaction from her ❤ especially when some people can react quite badly/differently to self harm scars it makes you nervous. . Im so pleased she made you feel better. I agree there really are some amazing people in the NHS and it is a blessing when you come across them. I had a mental health crisis early November and had an emergency appointment with a GP i didn't know. She has been fantastic. Gave me everything i needed in my crisis plan straight away to nip it in the bud and also has been phoning me every 1-2 weeks to check in, make sure i have meds and am ok, sort sick notes. We talk for as long as we need to. She called once just after 9pm which shows how busy she is but is so patient centred and caring. I am going to send her a thank you card once her contact with me comes to and end.
Happy New Year to you too ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I care for my husband who is disabled and having to fight for hospital appointments (long before covid) he's in end stage blindness and nothing more can be done so he's been completely written off. His gp decided to stop one of his pain medications earlier this year and a receptionist rang him one afternoon to tell him of her decision, I had to call 3 times demanding a gp call us back whilst frantically looking through his medical history that he had been prescribed this medication by a hospital consultant. The receptionist was adamant that he would not be recieving the medication anymore, I had to say I am not medically trained at all and wouldn't be able to treat him if he had any side effects from the medication being suddenly withdrawn. A gp called back and reinstated the medication within 30 minutes.
Do you mind me asking what drug it was?

Do you mind me asking what drug it was?
Its an opiate which was prescribed by a hospital consultant to manage his pain. He also went to a pain clinic (during lockdown🤷🏻‍♀️) and they admitted there is nothing more that can be done. It is just incomprehensible to me that a gp could decide on the spur of the moment without even having a phone consultation to us that he shouldn't take that medication anymore. We have both sat and cried in front of hospital consultants and they just don't care, there is a treatment that could be offered to reduce some of the pain but they just wanted to discharge him.

• Sad
I work in the NHS. I love it and sing it’s praises all the time, I know we are so lucky to have it. Saying this though I’ve had bad experiences with GP’s and once my 12 week old baby was admitted and he was crying as they tried to weigh him. I cuddled and comforted him and the nurse shouted in my face that if she wanted me to touch him, she would tell me. I wish I’d have grabbed him and told her to **** off and walked out now tbh. She was so rude. My midwives throughout pregnancy were amazing.

• Sad
I filled an online questionnaire at my GPs
He rang me the next day
last weekend I had an MRI scan, everyone was so kind at the hospital, everything was explained and their attentiveness was fantastic, before and since my GP has rang once a week to see how I am and frankly I'm amazed, just waiting to see what course of action they are going to take
I did think it would take months but the whole experience from filing in an online patient form to Medication, blood tests and scan has been four/five weeks 🤷
See this is exactly how the online form thing should work, and I'm so pleased that you got a speedy result.

I thought the online form thing was a great idea until I used it. I needed a contraceptive pill review before I could have my repeat prescription and it's impossible to get through on the phones. I noticed that you could fill in an online form for this, so I did. I supplied my BP, weight and answered a million questions about my health, my future plans regarding contraception etc, basically all the questions they ask at the review. Next day I got an email saying the nurse would ring me in three weeks time, could I please take a BP reading nearer the time!

So even though they have all the information they need, I am happy to continue and have no issues, they are prepared to waste my time (they didn't give me a specific time, just the day) and theirs going over the same information. Plus, because its taken so long to get a call back I will literally have 3 pills left so if there's a delay with the pharmacy then I'll have nothing. Of course I can ring up and change if it isn't convenient but I can never get through, which is why I filled the form in in the first place!

I thought the form was supposed to free up doctors time for patients in greater need but clearly not! They are just making twice the work for themselves 🙄