NHS - good & not so good stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My husband has his exploratory surgery in Tuesday. They have sent him a PCR test ti do in Saturday but he had covid 4 weeks ago.

Called the test and trace helpline and they said it is almost certainly going to come back positive because of how recently he had covid but proof of his prior infection and the positive result will be proof enough that he isn't infectious.

Called the hospital to confirm and they said categorically not!!!! If his PCR is positive he cannot come in. He explained what T&T said and they said they had never had this before and that they had never heard of not testing for 90 days after covid?!?! They could only suggest he cancels Tuesdays appointment and reschedule!

I'm so angry. He needs this surgery and the NHS are suddenly playing dumb about the rules for covid

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
My husband has his exploratory surgery in Tuesday. They have sent him a PCR test ti do in Saturday but he had covid 4 weeks ago.

Called the test and trace helpline and they said it is almost certainly going to come back positive because of how recently he had covid but proof of his prior infection and the positive result will be proof enough that he isn't infectious.

Called the hospital to confirm and they said categorically not!!!! If his PCR is positive he cannot come in. He explained what T&T said and they said they had never had this before and that they had never heard of not testing for 90 days after covid?!?! They could only suggest he cancels Tuesdays appointment and reschedule!

I'm so angry. He needs this surgery and the NHS are suddenly playing dumb about the rules for covid
Do the test on you just to get past their silly rule.

Reactions: 1
I had both a bad and a good experience with the NHS over the weekend.

I tripped and fell resulting in a lovely gash to the chin. To be honest I didn’t look at it myself at the time, asked the advice of a first aider who sat with me and tried to clean it up as best she could and she suggested getting it looked at as it might need taping up. I got to a and at around 9pm. Couldn’t find where to go for the life of me and asked a member of staff for directions. They asked to see the cut and up until that point I was calm. They took one look and made out it was really bad so that made me just go into panic mode. I thought I was going to have a huge scar to the face. I checked in at a and e and was honest that I’d had something to drink. Saw triage and they did no head injury assessment and just sent me to wait in the waiting area. I was on my own, hands coated in my own blood and still bleeding, no water, for 5 hours. The room was grubby, stains on the walls and fairly sure there was a small bit of tit on the floor that had been stepped in. My phone was low on charge so I decided to take my chances and go home and go to urgent care the following morning.

Got up the following morning and got taken to urgent care. Family drove me as it was the first time looking at my face and I was a little shocked and panicked, it was still kind of wet/weeping. I was seen in about 40 mins and the nurse was really shocked id been left that long with an open cut to the face that needed closing. Apparently if you don’t close them quick enough you can be left with more scarring because the edges curl and harden. So first she had to soften the edges and reduce swelling to see if she could close it. She’s done such a fantastic job, she kept me calm and tried to make it as painless as possible and is hopeful I won’t be left with much of a scar. Gave me a minor head injury assessment and sent me away with leaflets to help if I had any questions/ problems. I was in and out of the building within an hour.

I get that the nhs is stretched but I can’t help but feel like there was a bit of “oh typical Saturday night drunk” at play, even though I’d had a drink but wasn’t drunk. And there’s no excuse for being sat in a dirty waiting room. Just thankful that the nurse I saw did such a neat job and was so nice.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
I had a routine hearing test at the opticians and got referred to my GP to see an audiologist. From the point of being referred to actually seeing an audiologist was 12 months, then another 6 months to wait for a pair of hearing aids. In comparison, as my hearing was affecting my work I went to Boots a few months after the referral and bought my own as I couldnt wait anymore, paid in installments monthly which is affordable and the whole process took just 4 weeks!

It's well worth paying private for things that are considered non urgent to the nhs - hearing/vision problems, buying contraception in pharmacies, dental check ups, you'll get a much quicker better service.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
My child has a disability so he has regular reviews with a neuro disability nurse. The one we saw last time sucked! I told her about a few different health issues he’d been having and she just kept saying I don’t know I’ll have to check and call you back (she never did get back to me). I’m tempted to call and ask to see someone else next time.

My current GP surgery have developed this wonderful habit of trying to put me on medication I can't have. When I raised my concerns about it, they just said I can come off it. Whilst ignoring the fact that one of the issues is my breathing. (they want to give me beta blockers. I can't have them because of my breathing and circulation issues) I was told in 2014 by neurology they won't give me them. The only thing that's changed is my diagnosis. I now don't have one and they're still trying to tell me it's anxiety. The tests carried out by the hospital state otherwise.

And on that note - told 2 weeks for a CT scan result. 7 weeks and still waiting.

Their response to this seems to be to leave me with no medication at all and wonder why I'm constantly pestering them for something.

• Sad

I don’t know if anybody has read this… 150 preventable deaths every week in the NHS😥
I saw this article and cried my eyes out 😢 I can just feel the panic building...

My grandad was admitted to hospital for a dislocated and fractured shoulder and then contracted pneumonia while there and died a week later, it was a huge shock. He had beaten bowel cancer only two years prior - he was 64, and unfortunately already not in the best health because of catastrophic failings during his cancer care on the NHS, but I truly believe the lack of care on the wards led to his avoidable death.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi, sorry if it seems a simple question. I have the implant but I want it removed a few weeks early, but can it be replaced the same day or do I have to stick to the replacement date? Thank you

Only a little one, I have many good experiences with them, but I booked a smear test and contraception injection appointment for yesterday after work, turned up for it on time and then sat for ONE HOUR of my life because they were running behind. I get things happen but Jesus Christ a whole hour!! They text me about 4 times before the appointment to make sure I'd be going, they should have a similar system in place which texts you if there's a big delay because that really threw off my evening. I was in such a bad mood after that

Hi, sorry if it seems a simple question. I have the implant but I want it removed a few weeks early, but can it be replaced the same day or do I have to stick to the replacement date? Thank you
Not the same obvs but I can't make my next injection date and she said it's fine a week earlier or a week later, so I presume yours would have similar flexibility

Primary care - what is the point these days? Had a thoroughly disgusting consultation this afternoon, they didn’t even have the professionalism to end the call without hanging up. Makes me so cross how things are.

3 years ago, despite struggling to gain weight my whole childhood/teenage years due to a fast metabolism/genetics I randomly gained a lot of weight and my stomach swelled. I was only 19. This was just before COVID-19 and as it started and I tried everything I could to get help as I knew it was abnormal. It didn’t matter what I ate or didn’t eat my stomach was huge and distended all the time. I felt like I was in agony most nights after eating small amounts. I had bowel issues as well and my stomach was a mess.

I was told many times over the phone it was ibs and nothing could be done. I even had a female doctor accuse me of pregnancy despite the fact that I had regular periods, was on it at the time and had no symptoms of pregnancy! I had been non-stop bloated for a year at that point if I was pregnant I’d have known. She refused to treat me and told me to take a pregnancy test. I was reduced to tears afterwards.

Fast forward a year and many useless telephone appointments later I managed to get a telephone appointment with an out of hours gp who told me she was concerned by the bloating and pelvic pain and got me booked in for an ultrasound.

I had the ultrasound in December 2021 and it took for me to ring up after not hearing anything for months (March 2022) to get my results. The receptionist told me the results were fine and no further action was needed. I called again a week later for blood results and asked the doctor about my ultrasound just to clarify. He told me it was abnormal and that they saw signs of adenomyosis. He said it wasn’t serious and had no impact on me. I felt like I’d still not gotten anywhere. I eventually spoke to another doctor on the phone a few days later as I was confused about all the contradictions and she told me they spotted adenomyosis and I needed repeats done.

I had another invasive ultrasound in April 2022 and in June 2022 I was diagnosed with adenomyosis. I was told that my uterus was oddly shaped and thickened. The doctor told me I had this condition and that’s it. No information, no support or anything. She told me I could be referred to the gynaecologist if I wanted? I agreed.

I got the letter through in June and was given an appointment for the end of January next year. Despite the diagnosis I still hadn’t had any answers about the bowel issues/bloating so I begged the doctors for a hormone blood test. They told me they’d ruled out conditions such as PCOS as my ovaries appeared healthy on the ultrasound but reluctantly agreed. A few days later I was phoned and told that I had all the signs of PCOS. Another diagnosis over the phone without any support or information. I asked about my fertility as that was my main concern and was told it should be fine.

I was left waiting for my gynaecologist appointment in January for some advice/support. Unrelated but I also had some asthma issues recently and after several attacks I was seen face to face by a doctor for the first time in 3 years. I was hoping to get some support as my asthma was so out of control that even 20 puffs of ventolin was doing nothing for me. I was constantly breathless. Instead of support I was accused of lying in regards to my inhaler use, he didn’t listen to a word I said and hurried me out the door. I was devastated at how I’d been treated. I’m still struggling to this day with my asthma (really struggle to catch my breath) but I’m too afraid to go to a doctor now.

I gained access to my medical records recently as I believed I wasn’t told enough about these conditions. My medical records showed that they found that I had a retroverted/anteverted uterus and extremely high prolactin levels in my blood, amongst other irregular hormones. I can’t believe I wasn’t told. Further research has shown that high prolactin is usually an indicator of a prolactinoma (benign brain tumour). Left undiagnosed can cause infertility, sight loss and can develop into cancer if there is a large tumour - amongst other symptoms. I wanted to contact the gp and ask for this to be taken seriously but I’m drained from chasing my issues up for years and not being taken seriously. The fact that they don’t seem bothered by something so serious is appalling. I’m grateful it isn’t cancer and I know people have it worse but it doesn’t take away from the fact that everything that comes with these conditions is chipping away at me bit by bit. You are supposed to be given repeat bloods and referred to an endocrinologist for treatment but nothing has been done. I’ve been left in the dark as usual.

Sorry for all of this rambling but the long story short is that to this day I’m suffering, I look like I’m 6 months pregnant every single day, my mental and physical health is a mess and to top it off I have barely had a chance to come to terms with the diagnosis of these two conditions before already having to contemplate another problem. I have no family for support, I only have my partner. I’m 22 years old and it’s incredibly lonely going through so many issues alone. Physically and mentally. I worry for my future health and fertility and I know my chances of conception are little to none. I just want one day where I feel healthy and alive again. Feels as though my world is crumbling and no one listens.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
3 years ago, despite struggling to gain weight my whole childhood/teenage years due to a fast metabolism/genetics I randomly gained a lot of weight and my stomach swelled. I was only 19. This was just before COVID-19 and as it started and I tried everything I could to get help as I knew it was abnormal. It didn’t matter what I ate or didn’t eat my stomach was huge and distended all the time. I felt like I was in agony most nights after eating small amounts. I had bowel issues as well and my stomach was a mess.

I was told many times over the phone it was ibs and nothing could be done. I even had a female doctor accuse me of pregnancy despite the fact that I had regular periods, was on it at the time and had no symptoms of pregnancy! I had been non-stop bloated for a year at that point if I was pregnant I’d have known. She refused to treat me and told me to take a pregnancy test. I was reduced to tears afterwards.

Fast forward a year and many useless telephone appointments later I managed to get a telephone appointment with an out of hours gp who told me she was concerned by the bloating and pelvic pain and got me booked in for an ultrasound.

I had the ultrasound in December 2021 and it took for me to ring up after not hearing anything for months (March 2022) to get my results. The receptionist told me the results were fine and no further action was needed. I called again a week later for blood results and asked the doctor about my ultrasound just to clarify. He told me it was abnormal and that they saw signs of adenomyosis. He said it wasn’t serious and had no impact on me. I felt like I’d still not gotten anywhere. I eventually spoke to another doctor on the phone a few days later as I was confused about all the contradictions and she told me they spotted adenomyosis and I needed repeats done.

I had another invasive ultrasound in April 2022 and in June 2022 I was diagnosed with adenomyosis. I was told that my uterus was oddly shaped and thickened. The doctor told me I had this condition and that’s it. No information, no support or anything. She told me I could be referred to the gynaecologist if I wanted? I agreed.

I got the letter through in June and was given an appointment for the end of January next year. Despite the diagnosis I still hadn’t had any answers about the bowel issues/bloating so I begged the doctors for a hormone blood test. They told me they’d ruled out conditions such as PCOS as my ovaries appeared healthy on the ultrasound but reluctantly agreed. A few days later I was phoned and told that I had all the signs of PCOS. Another diagnosis over the phone without any support or information. I asked about my fertility as that was my main concern and was told it should be fine.

I was left waiting for my gynaecologist appointment in January for some advice/support. Unrelated but I also had some asthma issues recently and after several attacks I was seen face to face by a doctor for the first time in 3 years. I was hoping to get some support as my asthma was so out of control that even 20 puffs of ventolin was doing nothing for me. I was constantly breathless. Instead of support I was accused of lying in regards to my inhaler use, he didn’t listen to a word I said and hurried me out the door. I was devastated at how I’d been treated. I’m still struggling to this day with my asthma (really struggle to catch my breath) but I’m too afraid to go to a doctor now.

I gained access to my medical records recently as I believed I wasn’t told enough about these conditions. My medical records showed that they found that I had a retroverted/anteverted uterus and extremely high prolactin levels in my blood, amongst other irregular hormones. I can’t believe I wasn’t told. Further research has shown that high prolactin is usually an indicator of a prolactinoma (benign brain tumour). Left undiagnosed can cause infertility, sight loss and can develop into cancer if there is a large tumour - amongst other symptoms. I wanted to contact the gp and ask for this to be taken seriously but I’m drained from chasing my issues up for years and not being taken seriously. The fact that they don’t seem bothered by something so serious is appalling. I’m grateful it isn’t cancer and I know people have it worse but it doesn’t take away from the fact that everything that comes with these conditions is chipping away at me bit by bit. You are supposed to be given repeat bloods and referred to an endocrinologist for treatment but nothing has been done. I’ve been left in the dark as usual.

Sorry for all of this rambling but the long story short is that to this day I’m suffering, I look like I’m 6 months pregnant every single day, my mental and physical health is a mess and to top it off I have barely had a chance to come to terms with the diagnosis of these two conditions before already having to contemplate another problem. I have no family for support, I only have my partner. I’m 22 years old and it’s incredibly lonely going through so many issues alone. Physically and mentally. I worry for my future health and fertility and I know my chances of conception are little to none. I just want one day where I feel healthy and alive again. Feels as though my world is crumbling and no one listens.
I would advise you to get a MRI of the brain. Do you have a private clinic you can go to?

do you use an aerochamber for youre asthma medication?

hope You can get help you need!

I had several MRIs done around 2012-16 and was told that I have a few cysts on my brain which apparently cause no problem at all. (everyone gets told this and yet, we all have similar symptoms)

I'm also under the eye infirmary who are still trying to figure out why I've got the problems I have. They sent a letter to my GP about what was done at the appointment and I got the same letter. In that letter, they gave me another diagnosis which you can only see on MRI / CT scans which means someone has known for the last 6 years that I've had another condition. Yet, I was told in 2014 & 2016 that my scan hadn't changed.

I could write a book on the constant failure to listen, the misdiagnoses, the constantly being told it's anxiety or because of my eyesight.

• Sad
Not an NHS experience this time but to say my parents neighbour is a manager at the NHS and has a gorgeous BMW company car. That tells us a lot on how this organisation is run.

• Angry
Reactions: 5
Received a text advising me to get my daughter booked in for a flu vaccine. 30 mins waiting on the phone for the GP surgery to answer and tell me ‘oh sorry those texts are from NHS England and we haven’t actually received the vaccines yet so we’ll text you when we do and can book you in then.’

I looked on their website before I called so they could have put that message there or as a pre record on the phone!

Apparently Therese Coffey is going to fix all the GP problems, including the morning scramble for appointments ... big announcement expected tomorrow,

If they change things so that GP practices get paid depending on how many patients they actually bother to see, instead of how many are on their books, that should help a lot I think.

Reactions: 2
Received a text advising me to get my daughter booked in for a flu vaccine. 30 mins waiting on the phone for the GP surgery to answer and tell me ‘oh sorry those texts are from NHS England and we haven’t actually received the vaccines yet so we’ll text you when we do and can book you in then.’

I looked on their website before I called so they could have put that message there or as a pre record on the phone!
I've had one of those texts. A few minutes later got an email from school saying they are having a vaccination session at school.