Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

TheShire

None of us will ever know what was said and with what intent. You see it on reality TV all the time where a group of people totally and unknowingly make up the content and tone of a whole conversation even when they know cameras are on them.
I don't think someone thats worked for so long with the royal family and the commonwealth would have behaved in the way it was said. But the palace can't win on this, no evidence and a few of NFs friends to back her up. They had to close this whole situation ASAP.

Reactions: 5

monga

VIP Member
The level of donations coming in does beg the question of why Sistah Space needed so many grants from councils and funding bodies.
Several of their services are paid for by end users as well: James mentions sewing classes, which attracted a grant, yet Sistah Space service users still had to pay a fee and provide their own materials. James suggests that the dolls sold in the Sistah Space shop and by Fulani's sister's company A Darker Shade may have been made in the classes. If this is true, this is gross exploitation. If the dolls were made elsewhere, SS was still profiting from its own service users.

The level of donations coming in does beg the question of why Sistah Space needed so many grants from councils and funding bodies.
Several of their services are paid for by end users as well: James mentions sewing classes, which attracted a grant, yet Sistah Space service users still had to pay a fee and provide their own materials. James suggests that the dolls sold in the Sistah Space shop and by Fulani's sister's company A Darker Shade may have been made in the classes. If this is true, this is gross exploitation. If the dolls were made elsewhere, SS was still profiting from its own service users.
Yeah for sure, the thing with charity donations is they’re impossible to keep track of, only certain people know exactly how much money is donated, those GFM ‘s are the biggest scam’s going and so easy to set up.

CarmenGhia

VIP Member
I'm more interested in the fact that Fulani has bought herself/Sistah Space a boat. That's such a stereotypical grifter thing to do.

• Wow
  • Haha

Jen667

VIP Member
I'm struggling a bit with her claim that BP still haven't apologised. Wasn't what the whole reconciliation meeting with Lady Thingy was about?

Blueblue123

VIP Member
The email says that Igbo people are Christian.
True. The email was full of such nonsense I could barely make out what he meant to be fair. But don't let that stop you from making that incoherent waffle with multiple inaccuracies your evidence against Fulani.

Blueblue123

VIP Member
Can't you see how incredibly dangerous a statement like "losing her place for asking a question" is?

Can you really REALLY not see how that is seriously chilling to anyone who cares about liberal democracy and free speech?

Someone can lose everything because one person is offended by what is a very basic, small talk question?

Fuck that, there are plenty of places you can live in the world if you like that kind of thought and speech policing, but not here and I hope to god not ever.
Lost everything? Lol. She held a pretend role established to make the royal family look active. She still has more than you and I ever will.

And stop being obtuse. You know it wasn't the fundamental act of asking a question that got her fired but the context of that question.

So yes, if people are found to be communicating in a discriminatory way be that in the form of a statement or question then there are consequences. God forbid we live in a society where people aren't respectful of others feelings and are unwilling to learn or change. That's the real issue.

a doodery pensioner who clearly missed the equality and diversity PowerPoint
So you recognise that her line of questioning goes against the attitudes of treating people equally or accepting diversity then? There's a great word to describe people who act like that.

@Eltonjohnsflorist that is not what I said and you know it. And I'm Irish, so my country was colonised for many hundreds of years. My ancestors had their land, culture and language stolen from them and they were punished for practising their religion. So don't you lecture me about "colonials" and how dare you extrapolate from my post that I want to "use the n word".
What do you want to use then? You have literally said you’re tired of imported American culture which means it’s ok to use “white” as a descriptor for any white person but makes it not ok for you to describe any black person as African. Why did you say that if that’s not what you think?

Of course, your post is really just another white person making racism ALL ABOUT THEM and should’ve just been ignored to be fair

Who are you to make judgement on what that lady lost? That was her job, her life and her identity for 60 years!

"found to be communicating in a discriminatory way be that in the form of a statement or question then there are consequences." Listen to yourself! I think you need a re read of 1984! It's not a crime to ask questions, offend someone, hurt feelings or be rude. It's just not, no matter how much you think it should be.

Why does it have to be a crime to be wrong?
Why does it have to be a crime for you to lose your job?
Why does it have to be a crime to be reported in the national news?

What does crime have to do with anything?
Whay

Blueblue123

VIP Member
"people turned into the moral police." - Um no it's not about morals, its called fraud and it's probably going to involve the actual police.

This isn't about exposing the charity's wrongdoings - that's literally what a charity commission investigation is.

Someone make it make sense.
An assessment of claims made on social media by regular people acting as the moral police. Not people with a vested interest or anyone who dealt with the charity.

I want to know how getting an octogenarian to resign for being as you said "rude" at a party is threatening the status quo. How? How is that striking a blow or threatening anything other than a doodery pensioner who clearly missed the equality and diversity PowerPoint. Fucks sake.
Because people see themselves in the lady who is part of a British institution which represents their culture, traditions and values losing her place for asking a question some Brits fail to see the offence in.

If they admit the fault lies with LH then many Brits who'd do the same will have to reckon with themselves and the fact their behaviour may come across as racist. If NF is the baddie then her wrongs overshadow that.

There's no logical reason why people are this defensive about what they describe as a non offensive conversation between an unknown charity rep and a barely known member of the royal family who lost her pretend job which barely impacts the average Brit's life. People are taking up virtual arms in defence of a woman who has more wealth and privilege than they can ever dream of because they feel she's been stripped of her standing in society.

Imagine if this much community research and effort was put into uncovering the wrongdoings of people who are 1000x more influential than NF?

Hope that helps.

• Heart

Baby Giraffe

VIP Member
I’ve just caught up with this thread, I can’t see anybody saying that if the charity is proven to be dodgy that it shouldn’t face consequences. It’s perfectly possible to be against fraud AND racism as the status of the charity is totally unrelated to how a British citizen was treated at Camilla’s event. Several posters seem to pretty much be saying that because the charity looks iffy then it’s fine to racial abuse the person representing it although I can’t believe they could actually think that if they thought about what they’re saying.

FogOfWar

Edit to add :

What upset there is is from...anticipated hyprocrisy. I suspect if my kids turned up in boubous, asking for help from Sistah Space in their perfect English accents, using their African names (which, unlike NF, actually appear on their birth certificates) they would be told they are not African and shamefully committing "cultural appropriation" by someone who isn't 1% as African as them.

So by your argument, I assume your children have African names? If your suggestion is Ngozi should have kept her European one.
Sorry, cross-post.

2nd Edit : actually, now I think about it in my irritation, we even did it in proper local tradition (at least in the nation my children are born into) by deferring to the "head of the family" (a distant uncle) to choose the names. Not name-shopping off a shelf as a Westerner.

Last edited:

Blueblue123

VIP Member
You do seem not to care about the charity's conduct.
You're correct, I don't. Because I won't pretend to suddenly concern myself with SS's conduct to justify going after a woman who claimed to be a victim of racism. As I stated above, I have a general distrust for charities and I'm not about to defend the practices of SS because I don't know what goes on there.

But I do care about the faux concern which has led to this scrutiny of the charity. It has been used as a tool to discredit NF and shut her down, not as a means to ensure there is good conduct in the third sector or the natural discovery of bad practice.

If it was really about weeding out bad actors in the charity sector, you'd dedicate just as much time to other organisations and you'd realise that there are worse people representing charities than those who make accusations of racism.

Last edited:

Merpedy

VIP Member
If everyone thought like that it would make for a very sad world ...It comes across like they're being judged just because they're white even if they've never had any dealings or bad feelings towards the black students .
I don't think most white people would think they're being judged based on their race alone because it's not something that we have to think about at all
It's also a small section of people - most people I have personally met have been totally fine being friendly and having conversations about race. Ironically it's normally white people who are more resistant to these conversations and during the whole situation with this controversy that was definitely one of the themes where people were very desperate to excuse the whole exchange as perfectly normal and not at all rude

FogOfWar

Why are you so upset by a woman of African descent choosing to call herself by an African name and wear African clothing?
I'm not upset by it particularly. I mostly find it funny that someone who has actively chosen to mark herself out as being of a different culture is now complaining that people are asking questions about what her heritage is, when she doesn't actually belong to that culture at all.

What upset there is is from...anticipated hyprocrisy. I suspect if my kids turned up in boubous, asking for help from Sistah Space, they would be told they are not African and shamefully committing "cultural appropriation" by someone who isn't 1% as African as them.

The whole thing that brought her to the public eye was Lady Hussey repeatedly asking her where she was from and she was told her accurate answer was inadequate. I was born in the UK with French heritage, I've never had to explain this though.
Do you think Lady Hussey would have persisted with the questioning, or even asked at all, if she hadn't gone for the name-change, cowries and wax ? Do we believe that LH has repeatedly interrogated every black person she has met as to their origins ? NF, through her dress, is clearly proud of her heritage - it seems reasonably polite to ask after it. LH was cackhandedly trying to do so. She wasn't denying that NF was from Hackney, or British.

Last edited:

Ensay

VIP Member
This is where you get into conversations about how Britain's racism is based on a lot of microaggressions which build up over time and end up being part of systematic racism also

I'm pretty sure that the whole 'where are you from' question when asked repeatedly is a form of microaggression also. Though I expect you will tell me microaggressions are a joke

Re the messages being shared - it feels like people are using them for what-aboutism in a way. Twitter is hardly a good place for discussions without someone throwing abuse to begin with, though the whole thing about the charity rejecting people based on race is an interesting topic

I think I saw a tweet from a white woman who contacted the charity when she left her relationship and was rejected for help and not directed to other services
I think the 'what-aboutism' is a good point.

I've seen plenty of things on Twitter along the lines of:

"Ngozi Fulani experienced racism"
"So have I" or "Yeah well she's dodgy, so we shouldn't believe her".

Anything to avoid facing up to it.

Merpedy

VIP Member
It’s almost like all parties can be in the wrong but it should never be acceptable for anyone to be handling someone by the neck/choking them like that.

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
What does everyone think of my screenshot? I take issue with it for several reasons, but too tired to get into it yet. Personally, I'm just not very interested in Fulani and Hussey's interaction. I was initially interested in SS and came to similar conclusions about it though. Made me wonder how many dodgy charities we have. Probably more than we think!

View attachment 1808159
I do suspect Lady Hussey will be well travelled and experienced in the traditional cultural wear. She accompanied QE2 on her tours of the world.

It is amazing so many people- in 2022, the internets been around a while- just blindly accepted what James pikachoo ranted on about. It was obvious he had no clue what he was on about. Wise up people.

I agree it’s interesting that we’re so desperate to see black people exposed for their wrong doing and it was pretty obvious he was going to be a massive racist. What other motivation would he have?

• Haha

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
I don’t think it’s unusual for government ministers to jump on things if it gets them noticed, unless you think Dianne us in on the possible deception.
Well I have never heard an MP publicly address their constitutent as a friend in the line of business... just seems rather strange.

monga

VIP Member
I think the point of threads is to keep to the topic in question if we all start posting about our own experiences past and present and that of our ancestors we’ll get nowhere, there’s different threads to discuss those things, most of us want to move past the racism element to concentrate on the accusations of deception , maybe those wishing to discuss race could find the proper thread to discuss .

Here 👉🏻

A lot of you posting on this thread have been incredibly racist, discussing things you have no place to and frankly don’t understand.
Shame on you.
What things do we have no place to discuss? It’s a discussion forum.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4