Newbie runners thread!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So it's suuuuper early days for me still - I walk as fast as I can and break out into a wee joggy run when I can, longer each time. I'm 70% off-road for these.

Next payday I'll need to get new trainers or something for doing these walky runs (am currently in total garbage trainers from Tesco bought in an emergency years ago 😬) - can anyone recommend a good option for a wide-ish foot belonging to a poor-ish woman who is v hard on footwear? Don't care what they look like at all.

Reactions: 4
So it's suuuuper early days for me still - I walk as fast as I can and break out into a wee joggy run when I can, longer each time. I'm 70% off-road for these.

Next payday I'll need to get new trainers or something for doing these walky runs (am currently in total garbage trainers from Tesco bought in an emergency years ago 😬) - can anyone recommend a good option for a wide-ish foot belonging to a poor-ish woman who is v hard on footwear? Don't care what they look like at all.
You're better off going to a proper sports shop and getting your gait analysed. I'd avoid Hoka. I don't have wide feet but they were far too narrow even going up a size. I think New Balance do trainers in different widths.

Reactions: 3

My first run was 2,5 months ago, so my advices are not professional 😅
I bought Nike free run wich looks like sock, and they are very strechy so they are for my wide and very often swollen feet very good.
Also they look good so I can wear them everyday. (Original price around 120e found them online for 45e)

Last month I took the north face trail running shoes bcs in first one I can't walk/run when it's wet...
They are not very everyday shoes, but I bought them as a motivation to stay fit. 🐷
(Original price 130e, found them online in another colour for 70e)

The best is to go in store and try various models. Write them down and then you can search online good offers.
It's very important to try them, with fat running socks on.
My Nike shoes are 37.5 and the north face 39 ....

Motion App is crushing, does anybody has the same problem?
Will try now to instal on tablet...

• Heart
It’s crashing for me but I wasn’t sure if it was because I added the widget to my home screen.

Reactions: 1
Definitely get your gait analysed before getting new shoes! I found that loads of problems I was having with tired legs etc when running were actually because I wasn't wearing the right shoes.

My first run was 2,5 months ago, so my advices are not professional 😅
I bought Nike free run wich looks like sock, and they are very strechy so they are for my wide and very often swollen feet very good.
Also they look good so I can wear them everyday. (Original price around 120e found them online for 45e)

Last month I took the north face trail running shoes bcs in first one I can't walk/run when it's wet...
They are not very everyday shoes, but I bought them as a motivation to stay fit. 🐷
(Original price 130e, found them online in another colour for 70e)

The best is to go in store and try various models. Write them down and then you can search online good offers.
It's very important to try them, with fat running socks on.
My Nike shoes are 37.5 and the north face 39 ....

Motion App is crushing, does anybody has the same problem?
Will try now to instal on tablet...
Thanks so much for the pointers and the highly inspirational timeframe!! 🖤

• Heart
You're better off going to a proper sports shop and getting your gait analysed. I'd avoid Hoka. I don't have wide feet but they were far too narrow even going up a size. I think New Balance do trainers in different widths.
I always go up a size in my running trainers, I think all the runners I know do.

• Heart
Love this. I’ve been walking fast last few weeks but have started running, small steps but still running. I absolutely hate it!

I’ve managed 10k steps before 10am 4 days now

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Another 10k run in the bag for me yesterday. Awful run. Head wasn’t in it at all, sore legs etc but surprisingly still got it done in a similar time to my last one which was a good one! Had a couple walk breaks mainly just to remind myself that I can do it and I was ok but yeh still did it so let’s see what the next few bring

• Heart
I am again slightly sick... And it affects my time...
But still going every day.

This and next week goal - every day 5km - running or running+power walking.
Love the feeling of accomplishment 💕
Feeling so proud that soon is my 3th month.
Looking forward to spring 5km race 🐰

In terms of weight - I didn't lost more then 1kg, but everyone see my body changes and compliment my waist.
It's funny, most of the changes I have is in on my waist and belly.
I even start seeing some abs definition 😱
Is this normal? 😅🐷

P.S. Not taking care of nutrition at all, and for the first time in my life not feeling guilty or angry on myself.
It's crazy how much running/power walking built my confidence.
Why nobody introduce me to running when i was younger...

You ladies are so good with your running! It’s an excuse but I just don’t find the time. I also spend a lot of day on zoom calls so need to look pretty presentable. Even getting on the bike for 30 minutes and I look a sweaty mess.

First week done!
So proud of my ladies 💕
I just realized that you can change your personal goal 😅
Mine is 30km of running this week...

(Still little bit sick, but it will not stop me 🐰)

Motion App, Tattlers Team screenshot
Screenshot_2022-10-17-09-39-53-694_com.motionapp.motionapp.png

I didn’t know such a thread existed! I have started running as a means to lose the stone and a bit I have put on over the last year.

I managed 4km in 27 mins the other day. I’ve done another run today but forgot my Apple Watch so I have no idea what my newest stats are 😅. I’m enjoying it but I feel like I need extra motivation to keep on track, can I join the motion group please? 🙂

• Heart
I wanted to add in some cardio to my workout routine and wanted to get back into running, and then I did my hamstring last week🤦🏼‍♀️. Hoping it will be feeling ok to have a go at running this weekend 🤞🏼 And now this thread is here, it should help give me some motivation, so thank you 😊

Amazing! I couldn’t imagine doing a marathon. But then again 6 months ago I couldn’t run for 2 mins without stopping, so never say never!
well I may or may not be yet. I’ve been offered a charity spot but I need to raise £2000!! I’m going to wait and see if I get a ballot spot. If I don’t I’ll do Manchester! Either way I’m somehow doing a marathon next year.
I was the same as you! Now I’m doing 10km runs weekly :)
Though I have a small set back with shin pain so I’ve got some insoles that are meant to help on the way so fingers crossed🤞🏼

Reactions: 2
Long time runner here, just popping my head in. I can't run at the moment as I'm pregnant and it's just too much but I love running and am really missing it!

I would say if you're struggling on a treadmill, really do try and run outside. Running outside is so, so much easier and better for your joints as well. On a treadmill you are forced into a sustained pace whereas actually very few people run at the same pace for their whole run - outside you can adjust naturally (you won't even notice you're doing it most of the time!) and slow down a bit for hills, speed up for downhills. You'll also learn to pick your feet up and run more efficiently.

I would exercise caution with entering big length races too early as well. When I started running I did a couple of 5ks in the summer, a couple of 10ks in later summer and a half marathon just before Christmas (on the back of basically nothing). Then decided that I could absolutely do a full marathon the next spring and injured myself in about five different ways :rolleyes: There's a big, big leap between half marathon and full marathon distance and you really need to respect that distance change. Generally the step between 5 and 10k is achievable (if you can run a 5k no matter what time it takes you, you can run a 10k in some fashion. If you can comfortably run a 10k, a half marathon is not too much effort if you put the training in. But god, the difference between a half and even 20 miles is immense. Absolutely immense. It's much more of a mental battle than you think! ETA - did my first full marathon this summer just before I got pregnant and even though I'd run about 8 raced half marathons, a couple of 20 mile races AND 100s of miles in the 14 week training block it was an incredibly humbling and difficult experience!

Reactions: 5
Would like to try 2 shorter runs/power walks a day, instead of 1.
I never have enough time and I am so stressed to finish some another things, and very often running late to get ready for work 😅
Today is a same thing... 🙄

Looking forward later to finish my workout and hit 10k steps.
Feeling incomplete.

Is anybody doing 2 workouts per day?
Any advices?