New Baby & Post Birth Off Topic

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So sorry so many of you are having KW problems šŸ˜ž I think we are the generation of women brought up being told we can have it all, yet the men weren't brought up being told what they need to do to help us have it all. So we are expected to go to uni, get a well paying job but also have kids and do all the work that goes alongside that as if we don't need help.

Mr Breakfast is good, I really think being in lockdown with our eldest helped him be more hands on and realise what my days were actually like. He even said he feels bad this time round like he doesn't spend as much time with baby breakfast because he's in the office now and he misses her. I don't know if it helps but he was brought up by a single mum with 4 kids and she made them very independent through necessity, but also his dad had them every weekend by himself so he saw his dad be more hands on than my dad ever was. My mum even said my dad would never do bedtime when I was little because he didn't have the patience and she's amazed how much Mr Breakfast does. (Edited to add - Just realised this sounds like a brag but it annoys me when dads get praise for doing the bare minimum of parenting that us mums do all the time and get taken for granted! You never hear a mum being called a 'hands on mum')
OMG the bloody pats on the back men get for doing the bare minimum! Spare me! ā€œOh look! Heā€™s pushing the pram, isnā€™t he just amazing?!ā€

šŸ«  yes Linda šŸ«  the best šŸ« 

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Sorry but why is he acting like heā€™s doing you a favour to look after his own child? šŸ¤Æ

these bleeping men!

Would your work pay for an overnight nanny?
Nah, my saint of a mum will have her. She doesnā€™t mind but sheā€™s not the one whoā€™s responsible for her. Also donā€™t get why he doesnā€™t get that Iā€™m feeling emotional so talking about things nicely would be appreciated instead of deciding which bits of a parent he chooses to be today.

urgh Iā€™m just so full of resentment I canā€™t even deal.

anyway, MM didnā€™t cry or poop when I dropped her off so Iā€™m having a toastie and some cake in the garden centre. Hope everyone is being kind to themselves.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
OMG the bloody pats on the back men get for doing the bare minimum! Spare me! ā€œOh look! Heā€™s pushing the pram, isnā€™t he just amazing?!ā€

Yep walking around the village a lot of strangers come up and talk to him. Went myself yesterday on my own and nobody spoke to me. It's a man's world

Reactions: 5
If your baby is a toad and fights their last nap, do you just give up after a certain point and move bedtime slightly earlier? Or stick to your usual routine?
He didnā€™t nap Monday either which resulted in a really crap nights sleep. I canā€™t do this much longer I keep thinking Iā€™m going to have to cry it out which I really donā€™t know want to but I seriously, seriously cannot take this lack of sleep much longer or Iā€™m going to snap.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I give up afte
If your baby is a toad and fights their last nap, do you just give up after a certain point and move bedtime slightly earlier? Or stick to your usual routine?
He didnā€™t nap Monday either which resulted in a really crap nights sleep. I canā€™t do this much longer I keep thinking Iā€™m going to have to cry it out which I really donā€™t know want to but I seriously, seriously cannot take this lack of sleep much longer or Iā€™m going to snap.
I give it about 30 minutes and see what the rest of the day brings. I think @loveanatter said much the same previously and itā€™s stuck with me

Reactions: 1
She wasnā€™t great at nursery, very up and down so sheā€™s doing an extra hour on Friday. It really really breaks my heart sheā€™s getting so upset. I feel like I should have prepared her to be without me more.

• Heart
  • Sad
She wasnā€™t great at nursery, very up and down so sheā€™s doing an extra hour on Friday. It really really breaks my heart sheā€™s getting so upset. I feel like I should have prepared her to be without me more.
Please donā€™t beat yourself up this is so normal. Plus when you donā€™t have that much help around, itā€™s not always an option to ā€œprepareā€ them. Even if she had say, been going to grandparents regularly without you, itā€™s still different to going into a nursery with ā€œstrangersā€ for the first few weeks. This is normal and it will get better. I bet in a couple weeks time it will all look very different. This isnā€™t your fault youā€™ve done nothing wrong ā™„

• Heart
Reactions: 4

And what's worse is men just lap it up!!

Don't beat yourselves up. It's a change in routine and environment with new faces. She'll get used to it eventually, but like anything it just takes time.
If it helps my little one hadn't been apart from me other than one evening since she was born, so going to nursery and being around new people was a huge change for her. I felt the same about should I have prepared her more, but my sister, who works in a nursery, was saying it makes zero difference. Some kids just enjoy it more, some kids it takes time.

Also mum guilt is the worst! I often wonder if men get the same guilt

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I give up afte

I give it about 30 minutes and see what the rest of the day brings. I think @loveanatter said much the same previously and itā€™s stuck with me
Yeh so usually he would nap until about 3.30, I gave him until 4 and he was just getting more and more frustrated. He doesnā€™t seem tired but Iā€™m not sure if weā€™re just in overtired territory now lol. Heā€™s standing at the window yelling at the neighbours dog šŸ„“

Feeling like the worst mum ever - we went on a trip to see my coworkers in a town closeish to mine but 1 hr 20 on public transport. She had a great time on the bus & whilst we were out, but was coughing quite a bit more than last few days (she's got a runny nose & a cough but she was wrapped up and we were only outside for about 40 mins total). Due to an accident on a main road we missed our bus home so MIL came to get us. She slept for a bit in the car but mostly cried and now she's mega unsettled at home and I have a headache šŸ« šŸ„²

Basically please reassure me that 40 mins outside won't make her cold worse and she'll be okay šŸ˜­ I'm feeling terrible for taking her out but she hadn't been out since Monday morning!

• Heart
Feeling like the worst mum ever - we went on a trip to see my coworkers in a town closeish to mine but 1 hr 20 on public transport. She had a great time on the bus & whilst we were out, but was coughing quite a bit more than last few days (she's got a runny nose & a cough but she was wrapped up and we were only outside for about 40 mins total). Due to an accident on a main road we missed our bus home so MIL came to get us. She slept for a bit in the car but mostly cried and now she's mega unsettled at home and I have a headache šŸ« šŸ„²

Basically please reassure me that 40 mins outside won't make her cold worse and she'll be okay šŸ˜­ I'm feeling terrible for taking her out but she hadn't been out since Monday morning!
I always think fresh air is a good thing! šŸ„°

I always think fresh air is a good thing! šŸ„°
I'm basically worried because she was coughing more, but she's not had a temp or anything and isn't off her milk or unusually grumpy. She doesn't sound any more congested. I think fresh air is good, too! I think I'm just conflating her being overtired with her being ill and panicking.

Reactions: 3
TF really struggled (remember the helpful messages I got from nursery telling me sheā€™s sad?!) she bloody loves it now - she will get there. Sheā€™d never been away from me apart from a random couple of hours when she was 3 months old so donā€™t worry - MM will adapt!

• Heart
Thank you @Tifastrife @Nosysamsie @WeHadFunRight I just hate the thought of her being so upset. Sheā€™s only going one day a week until September and they said it might take her longer to settle (not sure if theyā€™re trying to get me to increase her days earlier but thatā€™s my suspicious side talking) so Iā€™ve said for a few weeks Iā€™m happy to add on half days if it helps her settle. Itā€™s such a bad week generally given her teeth as sheā€™s so upset even at home.
also making me feel a bit crap is my mum. Sheā€™s so so amazing and supportive but donā€™t think sheā€™s really on board with nursery. Think she thinks sheā€™s too young and 7:30-5 is a ā€œvery long dayā€, like sheā€™s off working down the mines. Sheā€™s not exactly been reassuring and I get a lot of comfort from her so I feel a bit like Iā€™m navigating this alone and like Iā€™m forcing MM to go somewhere sheā€™s upset by (my mum didnā€™t leave me ANYWHERE until I went to school at 4 and I had an awful time of it because I wasnā€™t used to being away from her so Iā€™m hopingMM will adapt earlier).
Sorry for the rant, sometimes I feel I should preface my posts with ā€œdear diaryā€.

my mental health referral has come through at least, earlier than they said.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Thank you for the replies and sorry for going AWOL after my rant - busy day!! Baby ended up having a 25 minute nap and then I dragged us out - the lady behind the till at Asda was so helpful and packed my bag because I was carrying baby bandit šŸ„ŗ I took him for a little drive afterwards because I couldn't face going home to more of the same stress, and when I turned the music up he calmed down and just chilled out watching other cars, and then sat straining for a poo when I pulled over to look at some horses šŸ˜… my husband got home in time and ushered me off to eat my lunch before shutting myself upstairs for my meeting (luckily I could have my camera off because sat on my bed looking like the undead isn't a professional vibe šŸ˜‚). The meeting finished early but my husband said he was doing ok and to stay working, so I did until 5pm and had a lovely time reading updates and contacting a few people - switching off and remembering how to be an intelligent, capable person was amazing ā˜ŗ and then this evening during weaning baby bandit ate some mushed up toast for the first time and then picked up a strip of toast and offered it to me before putting it to his own mouth for the first time šŸ„ŗ oh and my dad's home and doing well! So, a busy emotional rollercoaster of a day bit currently going ok and my husband has been really helpful since coming home.

@themuffinwoman That's so awful, I'm so sorry šŸ˜” what do his siblings think about his lack of input, or are the males on that side of the family the same? Men absolutely try to use lack of experience as a get out clause whereas we just...learn?! Could you tell him that on a set night this weekend/next week he can do all the overnight childcare as practice so he can learn without being alone? You do so so much and I'm so sorry he can't even do the bare minimum šŸ˜” how's MM this evening? I hope her gums are less sore and she settled ok, and I hope you get time to relax. And don't beat yourself up, nursery will always be a huge adjustment regardless of how many people they've been exposed to before - there's nothing more you could have done, you're an amazing mum ā¤

Just seen your post - so pleased about your MH referral, and so sorry that your mum isn't being supportive about nursery. Children having their own space and independence is so important, and as long as it's handled sensitively when they're struggling it'll be hugely beneficial in the long run. Don't doubt yourself, you're making good choices and we've all got your back ā¤

• Heart
Thank you @Tifastrife @Nosysamsie @WeHadFunRight I just hate the thought of her being so upset. Sheā€™s only going one day a week until September and they said it might take her longer to settle (not sure if theyā€™re trying to get me to increase her days earlier but thatā€™s my suspicious side talking) so Iā€™ve said for a few weeks Iā€™m happy to add on half days if it helps her settle. Itā€™s such a bad week generally given her teeth as sheā€™s so upset even at home.
also making me feel a bit crap is my mum. Sheā€™s so so amazing and supportive but donā€™t think sheā€™s really on board with nursery. Think she thinks sheā€™s too young and 7:30-5 is a ā€œvery long dayā€, like sheā€™s off working down the mines. Sheā€™s not exactly been reassuring and I get a lot of comfort from her so I feel a bit like Iā€™m navigating this alone and like Iā€™m forcing MM to go somewhere sheā€™s upset by (my mum didnā€™t leave me ANYWHERE until I went to school at 4 and I had an awful time of it because I wasnā€™t used to being away from her so Iā€™m hopingMM will adapt earlier).
Sorry for the rant, sometimes I feel I should preface my posts with ā€œdear diaryā€.

It does take them a bit longer to adjust if itā€™s just one day - thatā€™s quite a commonly accepted view, so you might just have to prepare for it taking a bit longer than usual. And yes lol itā€™s a long day but what the hell are you meant to do?! Youā€™re doing your best, she will have lots of care and cuddles and bundles of fun at nursery.

Iā€™m sorry your mum isnā€™t really helping, on the flip side my mum often says to me she wishes sheā€™d done it differently when we were younger (and like you I was never away from her until 4 but conversely I was absolutely fine - weirdly fine actually - adjusting to school so I think it depends on the child ultimately.)

• Heart
I think it's so so tricky with nursery - I kinda see your mums point @themuffinwoman because I am very much a part time worker, I need my time off and wouldn't expect myself to do the same thing every day minus weekends for the whole year. I know her point is more about hours but if I'm honest this is what annoys me about the whole 52 weeks a year policy that almost all nurseries have - we wouldn't have him in 5 days a week all year anyway even if we were in a position to do it - but why do we treat it as normal as a society (or at least have the option!) to send a baby to nursery from 7:30am to 6pm 5 days a week all year round when adults and school age kids don't? BUT you've got to do what's right for the two of you, and sending her one day a week isn't a detriment to her, she's going to be in a new exciting environment and will grow so much from it.

TBH I'm just salty I have to pay all year round when we'll take him on holiday and stuff XD

Equally, if she stays home with you and you do lots of fun activities and groups with her, she'll learn and grow there.

I get the difficulty in parents not being on board. My in laws spent months telling me she's too young, she needs to be with family, I should consider whether I need to work.
As it turns out they had it in their heads that they'd have her on a regular basis and had told their friends that, so my MIL looks like a twit (oh well not my doing).
My advise for it is ignore it. Be proud of the decision your making for your family. Noone else can understand it & let's be honest, we don't need to justify our reasons to our parents/in-laws.

• Heart
Gonna reply mentioning everyone because it would be a mega post if I quoted then added my individual replies šŸ˜‚

@Pontiac_Bandit really glad you felt good doing your KIT day and your husband has been helpful. Have you got more KIT days planned? Go baby bandit and his toast!!! Toast is such a fab medium for so many other foods too so itā€™s great he jammed it in :) can you see your dad this weekend?
random acts of kindness from strangers are so touching, especially mums who have been through It and just know that even by packing your bag at the supermarket it makes the day slightly easier.

the men are the same I think in terms of how helpful they are, although heā€™s more of a dick about it than his very softly spoken and sweet BILā€¦ difference is none of his family are around to pick up his slack which is what would happen in his country, so the strain of men being relatively useless isnā€™t felt AS much, or frowned upon as much, although I think itā€™s slowly changing. To his (incredibly minor) credit he did try for an hour at 2am last night to get her back to sleep, but she just cried for an hour and lunged towards the door until I went in and she immediately chilled out in my arms. Iā€™m hoping when he spends the days with her itā€™ll give him more confidence/fewer excuses because I wonā€™t always be there. Heā€™s actually really good with her when Iā€™m not there Iā€™m just a huge safety blanket for his weaponised incompetence.
Thank you for being so lovely ā¤ she actually ate the most sheā€™s eaten in days for dinner with the pizza I made and some yogurt, then fell asleep just before 7. She was knackered bless her. Hope baby bandit gives you a good night.

@WeHadFunRight youā€™re right, it does very much depend on the child from what Iā€™ve read. Sheā€™s a bit of a sensitive soul (takes after me clearly) so I thought this would always be tough. Just catastrophising in my head oh what if this knocks her and she gets stressed out etc but I need to chill and take it one day at a time.

@WeepingCassandra ah my beef is with lack of flexibility šŸ˜‚ I understand this would be a nightmare but I would love to just say on the Friday ā€œright she needs to go 1/2/3 days next weekā€ because my work schedule varies so wildly with what Iā€™m doing. Some days I could pick/drop her with school hours but others she would need to do 7-5:30. I think my mumā€™s issue is that she hasnā€™t experienced being a working mum and that yeah, I donā€™t start work till 9, but I need the mental space (and maybe an hour to walk the dogs before a hectic day) because I have a demanding job.

This is so true
FC8380DD-5994-4412-AAB1-256D3593158A.jpeg

• Heart
I actually think the younger the better and thatā€™s what everyone has told me too! Baby fudge is 4 months old so heā€™ll go with anyone at the moment so now heā€™s in nursery he just wonā€™t know any different when heā€™s older and more aware
My friends son started when he was 2 and was an absolute nightmare and still is, she canā€™t drop him off her partner has to otherwise he wonā€™t go in! So donā€™t listen to people saying theyā€™re too young!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.