New baby and post birth advice #58 Where have all the dummies gone?!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For us the foot, bum then head thing worked, keeping a hand on his chest until we were sure he was in a deep sleep. White noise was also a godsend - which we still use now. We ended up putting our Moses basket inside the next to me crib, as we had much more success with it I think because the crib was huge for him! we have only just in the past couple of days transitioned him out of it. Baby Lava hated being swaddles but as soon as he was big enough for them we had great success with the Tomee Tippee sleeping bags which do have an option to swaddle.

He probably wasn’t consistently sleeping in his basket until about 7 weeks. Before then we had a few bouts of safe sleep 7 co sleeping and me taking him downstairs for bits of the night if he was very unsettled. But the above seemed to get us at least 1 slot of basket sleeping!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
For us the foot, bum then head thing worked, keeping a hand on his chest until we were sure he was in a deep sleep. White noise was also a godsend - which we still use now. We ended up putting our Moses basket inside the next to me crib, as we had much more success with it I think because the crib was huge for him! we have only just in the past couple of days transitioned him out of it. Baby Lava hated being swaddles but as soon as he was big enough for them we had great success with the Tomee Tippee sleeping bags which do have an option to swaddle.

He probably wasn’t consistently sleeping in his basket until about 7 weeks. Before then we had a few bouts of safe sleep 7 co sleeping and me taking him downstairs for bits of the night if he was very unsettled. But the above seemed to get us at least 1 slot of basket sleeping!
We did the bassinet in the next to Me too for a while when he was very small.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Does anyone have any tips on getting baby to sleep in his Moses basket or next to me? Hes not even a week old yet so trying not to stress too much but as soon as he’s anywhere other than our arms he’s wide awake and just won’t go back to sleep. And as lovely as the cuddles are, at some point soon Mr R is going to be going back to work and I can’t hold him to sleep all night, I’ll need sleep myself. At the moment we just take it in turns to sit up with him because that’s the only way he will get sleep.
We just kept trying. She mainly lived in her sling in the early days so we could at least do something else with our hands.

• Heart
Thank you everyone, the foot, bum, back, head method and then hand on his belly seems to have worked because he’s currently having his first sleep in his Moses basket 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 16
And still soundo in there! He stirred so I picked him up and he fell asleep again straight away so I tried putting him back down and he didn’t even need the gradual method, he just had a big stretch and was back to sound asleep. It’s a complete change from every other time we’ve tried. I guess I’ve got no excuse for not getting the washing done now 😭😂

• Heart
Reactions: 10
And still soundo in there! He stirred so I picked him up and he fell asleep again straight away so I tried putting him back down and he didn’t even need the gradual method, he just had a big stretch and was back to sound asleep. It’s a complete change from every other time we’ve tried. I guess I’ve got no excuse for not getting the washing done now 😭😂
Ah you do, the washing will always be there ,😜

• Heart
People with older babies - how often do you get dirty nappies?

We're still consistently on 4 - 7 dirty a day. Google says between 1yr and 2yrs the average is 1.6 a day. Most of them are quite loose but I wouldn't say they're completely liquid.

I only ask because it's an absolute nightmare getting a Drs appointment here and now I'm back at work, I'd have to take a day off to call, then hope they have a same day one, pull him out of nursery to go, and hope they don't say "Oh that's normal".

We're still consistently on 4 - 7 dirty a day. Google says between 1yr and 2yrs the average is 1.6 a day. Most of them are quite loose but I wouldn't say they're completely liquid.

I only ask because it's an absolute nightmare getting a Drs appointment here and now I'm back at work, I'd have to take a day off to call, then hope they have a same day one, pull him out of nursery to go, and hope they don't say "Oh that's normal".
I’d say that is a lot. We average 1-2 a day here. Have they been checked for allergy?

Reactions: 5

We’re also more often getting either just 1 or 2 daily here. Very rarely he’s had 4 😬 but I find that’s when he’s had certain foods, I guess?

4-7 daily does seem a lot, I think as Nfj says maybe it’s worth seeing if it could be an allergy? I’d try a drs appointment at least

Thanks guys! I won't be able to get an appointment now until next Monday but I'll try keeping a food + nappy diary over the next week and see if I can spot any patterns.

He's not had any obvious allergic reactions really (a couple of times he's had a little rash appear around his mouth after eating but it's always faded really quickly and seems to be with foods he's had fine before and after) but I do wonder if something's a bit awry.

Thanks guys! I won't be able to get an appointment now until next Monday but I'll try keeping a food + nappy diary over the next week and see if I can spot any patterns.

He's not had any obvious allergic reactions really (a couple of times he's had a little rash appear around his mouth after eating but it's always faded really quickly and seems to be with foods he's had fine before and after) but I do wonder if something's a bit awry.
might be worth looking at the Bristol stool scale and writing down what type of poo it is too. My child is the complete opposite (constipated since 10mI and is now 3y10m!) but I find the medical professionals find it helpful if you keep track of the consistency of poo!

Biscuit Junior went through a phase where he had several loose dirty nappies a day. We had him checked over, and they did stool samples, and everything was clear. He was well in himself, and we couldn't pinpoint a cause, so they said it was just toddler diarrhoea and he would grow out of it. Apparently it's very common, though I'm not sure what age it would start.
We did try keeping a food and poop diary, but we never found any patterns, and he did grow of it after a few months.
It can be a right old pain though. My friend's son had the same issue, and she had a nightmare because nursery kept sending him home and saying he had to stay away for 48 hours.

13 months….. 1 or 2 a day

Anyone had or waiting for a referral to get their babies tongue tie looked at? I’ve got a referral but no appointment yet and was told 2-3 weeks but already a week in and worrying it’s going to take ages. Baby chat struggles to latch for bf so I’m worried my milk will dry up by the time we get seen ☹

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Anyone had or waiting for a referral to get their babies tongue tie looked at? I’ve got a referral but no appointment yet and was told 2-3 weeks but already a week in and worrying it’s going to take ages. Baby chat struggles to latch for bf so I’m worried my milk will dry up by the time we get seen ☹
If you can afford it then it may be worth going private. We had to do this as midwives were useless and baby burrito lost loads of his birth weight and struggled to regain. I think ours was £200?

Reactions: 2
Have you got a contact number for the feeding/tongue tie team so you can call them? I seem to remember I called our team because I hadn't heard after a week and they were really helpful, we had to arrange a few times because he had oral thrush that hadn't cleared up and they were really understanding. Never hurts to politely chase things 🙂 in the meantime make sure you're expressing regularly during the day and at some point between 2-4am to keep your supply up 🙂

This seems a lot - what are nursery saying?

TF was being sent home after 3 loose nappies. She has CMPA, no other symptoms than her bowel movements.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.