New baby and post birth advice #58 Where have all the dummies gone?!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Pontiac_Bandit @loveanatter @WeepingCassandra
Thank you for the advice! I've contacted 2 childminders who are potentials. It's a bit tricky where I live just because it's more rural. I think it's actually made me think about if I actually want to go back to work. I work in general practice for minimum wage in a job with way too much responsibility for the pressure and money. Baby F is the only one we're going to have, so maybe just spend the time with her. There's never a right answer for anything in this parenting malarkey!!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Celebrating a win, breastfeeding has been hard for me, I have hit a lot of stumbling blocks. Two weeks ago we went to the osteopath as I thought he had tongue tie as a public health nurse told me and that was the reason I struggled with latching and used nipple shields.
Went to the osteopath and he told me nothing was wrong ,it was more a confidence thing on my side. So the past two weeks I've successfully got him to latch on one side but not the other as I have a milk cyst on the left... Last night I tried again and he did it and we were able to get a good feed without use of the nipple shield.

It has taken 11 weeks of pure determination and stubbornness. We got there and I'm very proud of me and baby 🤣 now I want to wean I have it mastered lol
Well done you! Breastfeeding is so mentally and physically tough and that's without any of the "extra" challenges. Which there are inevitably loads of!

I floated the idea this morning of combi feeding. I just don't think I can feed and pump enough to sustain baby when I'm back to work. I'm disappointed but I'm bloody proud of myself for doing 4.5 months with him basically attached to me!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
@Pontiac_Bandit @loveanatter @WeepingCassandra
Thank you for the advice! I've contacted 2 childminders who are potentials. It's a bit tricky where I live just because it's more rural. I think it's actually made me think about if I actually want to go back to work. I work in general practice for minimum wage in a job with way too much responsibility for the pressure and money. Baby F is the only one we're going to have, so maybe just spend the time with her. There's never a right answer for anything in this parenting malarkey!!
Nope, you can't win.

Even if you don't go back to work, if you can afford it, maybe consider having her in one day a week so you can have a day to sort the house and relax a little! We've got little WC in full days when I'm at work (3 days) and then until 3pm on a fourth day when I'm not.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I was prescribed omeprazole for my youngest to see if it helps with his silent reflux. Poor little dude has silent reflux, colic and dairy allergy ☹ The instructions say to dissolve a tablet in water and then to syringe this into wee man's mouth but it says to ensure that you pick up the little gastro-resistent balls as this is the medicine needed, rather than the bit that dissolves. Has anyone got any tips they can share? Tried to give him his first dose yesterday and I think I failed at picking up the little balls and I'm pretty sure he spat out most of what I did pick up any way 😬

• Heart
Well done you! Breastfeeding is so mentally and physically tough and that's without any of the "extra" challenges. Which there are inevitably loads of!

I floated the idea this morning of combi feeding. I just don't think I can feed and pump enough to sustain baby when I'm back to work. I'm disappointed but I'm bloody proud of myself for doing 4.5 months with him basically attached to me!
I do think we need to celebrate the wins more because I know I focused more and what I couldn't do.
Well done you

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Soooo turns out what the nursery thought was the pox is probably hand foot and mouth, as the blisters haven't really come out anywhere else & we noticed she had a couple of ulcers.
So anyone any tips?

Also, she's had a snotty nose for going on 3 months. She's not unwell with it, it's just constantly running. Would anyone go to the GP for this or am I being neurotic?

• Heart
Soooo turns out what the nursery thought was the pox is probably hand foot and mouth, as the blisters haven't really come out anywhere else & we noticed she had a couple of ulcers.
So anyone any tips?

Also, she's had a snotty nose for going on 3 months. She's not unwell with it, it's just constantly running. Would anyone go to the GP for this or am I being neurotic?
Might be worth asking the HV or GP about the runny nose as could be a sign of an allergy?

Sorry the nursery got it wrong about chicken pox!! I hope she feels better soon ☺

The screaming in the high chair phase is back…. This time accompanied with somehow getting by outta the straps and standing up! Give me strength

• Heart
Celebrating a win, breastfeeding has been hard for me, I have hit a lot of stumbling blocks. Two weeks ago we went to the osteopath as I thought he had tongue tie as a public health nurse told me and that was the reason I struggled with latching and used nipple shields.
Went to the osteopath and he told me nothing was wrong ,it was more a confidence thing on my side. So the past two weeks I've successfully got him to latch on one side but not the other as I have a milk cyst on the left... Last night I tried again and he did it and we were able to get a good feed without use of the nipple shield.

It has taken 11 weeks of pure determination and stubbornness. We got there and I'm very proud of me and baby 🤣 now I want to wean I have it mastered lol
This gives me hope as just started BF journey using a nipple shield because of poor latch 🙌🏼 thank you. Really want to wean him off it as soon as possible but worried about tongue tie and sore nipples. How did you find using the nipple shield out and about? My little one even at 2 weeks just rips it off all the time.

• Heart
Ughhh baby rolled off the bed today. It was a good few hours ago and she seems like herself but I can't help but feel bad and like she's going to be really unwell. I literally turned my back to shut the wardrobe door and she rolled off and landed on her back. She may have knocked her head on the cot but I couldn't tell because I scooped her up so quickly. She cried for about 2 minutes then had some bottle.

No bump on her head or any signs of concussion. Just paranoid. So angry at myself!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Ughhh baby rolled off the bed today. It was a good few hours ago and she seems like herself but I can't help but feel bad and like she's going to be really unwell. I literally turned my back to shut the wardrobe door and she rolled off and landed on her back. She may have knocked her head on the cot but I couldn't tell because I scooped her up so quickly. She cried for about 2 minutes then had some bottle.

No bump on her head or any signs of concussion. Just paranoid. So angry at myself!
Don’t be so hard on yourself - Find me a parent that this hasn’t happened to! And if anyone says it hasn’t then they’re lying!

• Heart
So anyone any tips?

Baby L just had hand foot and mouth although I think it was fairly mild. He went off hot food, only wanted it if it was lukewarm/not heated. Same with his milk. I would say try to give paracetamol or bonjela maybe an hour before meal times - I always remembered too late when he was in the high chair and upset. Hope she is over it soon.

He's also had a runny nose and varying levels of cough since he started nursery in Jan 😬 I'm going to ask the GP at his next appt but I think with baby L it's just constantly getting new viruses as soon as he's over the last one!
---

Oh gosh I remember when baby L first rolled off the bed. I was upset for about 2 days afterwards, awash with guilt. He was fine after a couple of minutes. I was beside myself! Be kind to yourself, it happens to everyone.

• Heart
baby frog somehow cut his foot in the baby bath, i’m so baffled as to how he’s done it. i want to cry.. never seen him bleed before except jabs or the foot prick tests.
feel like a terrible mum, just panic hoovered everywhere after giving him a plaster.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Baby L just had hand foot and mouth although I think it was fairly mild. He went off hot food, only wanted it if it was lukewarm/not heated. Same with his milk. I would say try to give paracetamol or bonjela maybe an hour before meal times - I always remembered too late when he was in the high chair and upset. Hope she is over it soon.

He's also had a runny nose and varying levels of cough since he started nursery in Jan 😬 I'm going to ask the GP at his next appt but I think with baby L it's just constantly getting new viruses as soon as he's over the last one!
---

Oh gosh I remember when baby L first rolled off the bed. I was upset for about 2 days afterwards, awash with guilt. He was fine after a couple of minutes. I was beside myself! Be kind to yourself, it happens to everyone.
I feel like it's been constant since starting nursery. But she's not unwell with it.
I'm hoping it remains mild here tbh. She has her 1 year jabs Thursday, but I have a feeling I may end up moving them on a week.
Thanks for the bongela tip!

• Heart
This gives me hope as just started BF journey using a nipple shield because of poor latch 🙌🏼 thank you. Really want to wean him off it as soon as possible but worried about tongue tie and sore nipples. How did you find using the nipple shield out and about? My little one even at 2 weeks just rips it off all the time.
Don't worry too much about weaning, baby will be fine . There is a lot of negativity around nipple shields but I think because it's working and keeping me bf it's positive. Some women bf successfully with them all the time . I still will carry them around for a while just in case as he still isn't great on the left but it's only been a few days. So far no soreness or pain ... I haven't had any issues with sore njpples in my 11 weeks

Out and about is a bit figinity alright, it's annoying alright I won't lie but it takes practice and I'd look up on how to apply it properly as it's not just a case of putting it on ... But as I said above don't put pressure on yourself to wean , if it's working tats good

• Heart

Biscuit Junior rolled off the bed when I left him with my Husband to go for a shower.
Twice. In less than 5 minutes. 🤦‍♀️

Baby Biscuit has never rolled off the bed, but she did somersault out of her cot a couple of months ago 😬 can't blame the Husband for that one, he was at work 😂

• Heart

It’s so awful but don’t feel bad, MM rolled off the bed and I rushed her to A&E and she was absolutely fine, I just felt horrendous for ages after. Just keep an eye on her but I’m sure she’s fine ❤
---
Hi all,
I’m 4 months 3 days postpartum, and in the last few days my scar is killing me(emergency C-section). I’m 3 days into my cycle. Last night I noticed a smell and when I had a look, seen a light yellow discharge coming from the middle.. I still get mild cramps and what I can only describe as an electric shock going across the wound but the pain is bearable and nothing like what it was in the first 2 months (I suffered terrible!)
I know everyone is going to rush me to the gp but I don’t drive, find it hard to get a babysitter and the double pram is a nightmare going anywhere on my own.
I’ll 100% be going to the gp but it’ll be at least a week before I get an appointment, so if anyone has any tips or advice to tie me over for a few days I’d greatly appreciate it 🙏🏻🙏🏻
Hi, I think I’ve commented before on your posts but I had so many issues with my scar. Is the pain on the outside or the inside? If it’s surface, try using something like savlon antiseptic. Or, and I would recommend getting a pharmacist to check, it could be thrush. I get thrush on mine and it smells something terrible, it also gets discharge and can get really really sore. If it’s looking red, google what thrush looks like on a c section scar (A&E nurse did this for me to show me I wasn’t dying 😂). Thrush cream for a week or two sorts it right out, it might come back but honestly the cream is a lifesaver. Hope you’re ok x

Last edited:
  • Heart
It’s so awful but don’t feel bad, MM rolled off the bed and I rushed her to A&E and she was absolutely fine, I just felt horrendous for ages after. Just keep an eye on her but I’m sure she’s fine ❤
---

Hi, I think I’ve commented before on your posts but I had so many issues with my scar. Is the pain on the outside or the inside? If it’s surface, try using something like savlon antiseptic. Or, and I would recommend getting a pharmacist to check, it could be thrush. I get thrush on mine and it smells something terrible, it also gets discharge and can get really really sore. If it’s looking red, google what thrush looks like on a c section scar (A&E nurse did this for me to show me I wasn’t dying 😂). Thrush cream for a week or two sorts it right out, it might come back but honestly the cream is a lifesaver. Hope you’re ok x
Awh yes you have and thank you for doing so again!! It’s greatly appreciated all the support and advice here ❤

• Heart
I’m back in a tizzy this morning. I keep seeing people posting videos of their 12 month old saying all kids of words. Baby wotsit still won’t wave when asked to it’s very random. Won’t clap. Can point quite well. He’s saying mama, mum to me, dada at husband. And if you say what noise does a tiger make sometimes he wk say rahhhh….. but that’s it. He does copy other actions like clicking his tongue and raspberries….
Heard a convo about autism running I. Families and my husbands brother was now I’m so paranoid he’s behind.
People wave at him in shops ect and I feel like they are thinking there’s something wrong when he doesn’t wave back

• Heart
I’m back in a tizzy this morning. I keep seeing people posting videos of their 12 month old saying all kids of words. Baby wotsit still won’t wave when asked to it’s very random. Won’t clap. Can point quite well. He’s saying mama, mum to me, dada at husband. And if you say what noise does a tiger make sometimes he wk say rahhhh….. but that’s it. He does copy other actions like clicking his tongue and raspberries….
Heard a convo about autism running I. Families and my husbands brother was now I’m so paranoid he’s behind.
People wave at him in shops ect and I feel like they are thinking there’s something wrong when he doesn’t wave back
Maybe he's just not a people person?
No, in all seriousness, I don't think you need to worry about the waving at this point. Both of mine have learnt to wave, but not used that skill appropriately until later on. So for example, Biscuit Junior would wave about 10 minutes after someone waved or said goodbye to him. Baby Biscuit seems to wave and say bye to people when she's decided she's had enough of their company. So when I'm talking to the other Mums at school and she's bored and wants to go home, she starts waving and shouting "bye bye" whilst looking at me as if to say "come on Mother, take the hint." 😂

Also, you say he's pointing, and I think I remember from my eldest that pointing is a good milestone to look out for, so that sounds positive.

Just try to remember, people will always be quick to show what their baby can do, especially if they believe they're advanced at something. These same parents won't be talking about what their child isn't doing yet. Little Jimmy may be reciting Shakespeare, while at the same time he isn't walking yet. Or Little Suzie may be climbing Snowdon on a Saturday, but hasn't said a word yet.

• Heart