New baby and post birth advice #56

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The posted didn’t say this though. When you’ve just given birth and it’s traumatic, and you then have a baby to look after, it makes it difficult to recover and be able to look after baby in the way you thought/ had hoped you’d be able to.
my baby wasn’t in NICU or any special care unit, but I was severely poorly after giving birth and relied on the nurses and my husband to take care of the baby so I could try and get better. Everyone’s situation is different. Everyone seems to have jumped on weeping Cassandra other than Rita who’s comment actually had a bit of grace to it to explain the other side,
I had a rough induction and a section like weeping Cassandra (I think) and really struggled after, the midwives were kind enough to take my baby overnight for a few hours so I could sleep and it really helped me ... Didn't affect bonding either!
I've also had two kids whisked to nicu upon birth and I can honestly say I wasn't offended at all by the comment. I don't really have a point just wanted to add my two cents lol

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Baby fudge was premature so he had to be fed and had his blood sugars checked every 2 hours that first night, I didn’t sleep a wink because by the time he was fed and taken to have his tests it was back to feeding again and we struggled with breast feeding because he was so sleepy from being early and wouldn’t latch so the nurse had to keep hand expressing from me and then we had to top up with formula it was the most exhausting night of my life, the next night he went every 3 hours and the nurse offered to feed him for me for one feed so I could rest, I had 4 hours sleep and I felt like a new woman! I was so grateful to that nurse, going through birth and then this whole new experience of learning what to do with baby and the struggles of breast feeding, I do understand what WeepingC meant by needing a bit of help!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
All I'll say is when I had an emcs, I had so little support I ended up tearing a stitch trying to lift a suitcase onto my broken bed because "you have to learn to do it alone" and they'd booted my husband out. There's other gory details but you get the image. I would've loved overnight support. We've all had different experiences and that's why one model of care doesn't fit everyone.

Anyway, on a lighter node, baby Kaye has cracked my nipple. There was one rushed latch yesterday that I can pinpoint as the catalyst. I've got Lanolin (?) nipple balm but any other recs to help with the pain? She's on bottles for now, the pain is 😱
Hydrogel silver discs from Amazon - game changer! I had a crack and they really saved the day x

Attachments

Reactions: 2
All I'll say is when I had an emcs, I had so little support I ended up tearing a stitch trying to lift a suitcase onto my broken bed because "you have to learn to do it alone" and they'd booted my husband out. There's other gory details but you get the image. I would've loved overnight support. We've all had different experiences and that's why one model of care doesn't fit everyone.

Anyway, on a lighter node, baby Kaye has cracked my nipple. There was one rushed latch yesterday that I can pinpoint as the catalyst. I've got Lanolin (?) nipple balm but any other recs to help with the pain? She's on bottles for now, the pain is 😱
I haven't used them myself but I've heard good things about the cooling nipple pads. I think they're called hydrogel pads? Lansinoh do them but they're available from other (cheaper!) brands too. Might be worth a try to soothe any pain / inflammation?

What I love about this thread is that no one judges and everyone is here to support each other. If you don't like a comment someone has made, scroll past and ignore. Everyone has different experiences and no one goes out to offend people on purpose. I think there's an element of projecting there, which is understandable too when it comes from trauma. Birth is hard for everyone, no matter what the circumstances and emotions run high.

My personal experience was that I spent two nights in hospital and they were some of the hardest nights of my life. I wanted so badly to feed my baby and I struggled so much. I had zero sleep in 48 hours on top of the night giving birth and I couldn't see straight. One particular midwife suggested I top up with formula and I didn't want to be reluctantly agreed because I thought she knew best and I was too tired to advocate for myself and my baby. She whisked my baby away and I immediately freaked out thinking where has she taken her! The next night (I was still running on zero sleep) a nicer midwife offered to take my baby for twenty minutes to give me a break and I was glad of it because my baby had been screaming for four hours straight in-between latches. I didn't sleep in that time of course but I was glad of a small window of peace and quiet. It does take a village and even now I'm so grateful to my husband when he recognises I'm struggling and he swoops in, and I do the same for him. Granted now she's 12 weeks old she's much easier to manage and I'm getting more sleep and therefore have much more patience when she does cry. Sleep deprivation is real and it can really send you insane. If support is offered then don't be ashamed for accepting it.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yes and do not get these as they have sharp edges and I still shudder at the pain they caused my poor fragile nips 🤢
IMG_3660.jpeg

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Thanks ladies - will order some hydrogel pads. Hoping the nipple balm will repair enough for at least her pre bedtime feed to be on the breast rather than expressed milk - purely because it sends her off to sleep quite nicely! Also been struck down by a migraine I believe to be caused by hormones 🫠 fun times over here!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
When does the ‘how does he sleep’ question stop? Really getting fed up of it everytime my MIL comes round 🙄🙃
ETA my little boy is 10 MONTHS!! 🫠

Reactions: 7
Just went through baby fudge’s box of 3-6 months clothes and it’s absolutely ridiculous the amount that’s in there! I’ve not even bought any of it it’s just stuff we’ve been given! I’ve only taken about a quarter out to wash and use not sure what I’m going to do with the rest I’ve just put it back in the box and put it back on top of the wardrobe🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Just went through baby fudge’s box of 3-6 months clothes and it’s absolutely ridiculous the amount that’s in there! I’ve not even bought any of it it’s just stuff we’ve been given! I’ve only taken about a quarter out to wash and use not sure what I’m going to do with the rest I’ve just put it back in the box and put it back on top of the wardrobe🙈
Oh my goodness this is on my list to do over the coming days - baby tuesday is 2 months today but I reckon we've got about 2 weeks at most before he's in his 3-6 months clothes. Like you, we have a huge box of stuff people have bought him, I've lost track of what's in it, none of it is washed and we probably have no basics 😂 Good luck!

Oh my goodness this is on my list to do over the coming days - baby tuesday is 2 months today but I reckon we've got about 2 weeks at most before he's in his 3-6 months clothes. Like you, we have a huge box of stuff people have bought him, I've lost track of what's in it, none of it is washed and we probably have no basics 😂 Good luck!
Same with Wood. He’s 10 weeks tomorrow but he’s already in a few 3-6 month bits - he’s so long but has short arms… like a T rex 😆 lots of shirts which, in hindsight, are a terrible idea.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Same with Wood. He’s 10 weeks tomorrow but he’s already in a few 3-6 month bits - he’s so long but has short arms… like a T rex 😆 lots of shirts which, in hindsight, are a terrible idea.
Yes baby fudge has long legs and he likes to kick so the 0-3 were getting a bit restrictive on his legs! So I have to roll up the arms on his 3-6 babygros but the legs are fine 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Thanks ladies - will order some hydrogel pads. Hoping the nipple balm will repair enough for at least her pre bedtime feed to be on the breast rather than expressed milk - purely because it sends her off to sleep quite nicely! Also been struck down by a migraine I believe to be caused by hormones 🫠 fun times over here!
Oh god all that sounds brutal😭 hope it passes. If you have expressed milk thats so good for helping heal a cracked nipple. Hopefully not but keep a wee eye on your boobs for lumps and symptoms in case it's the start of mastitis with your headache, any aches or flu like symptoms it's usually a blocked duct/start of mastitis 🤮 x

• Heart
Oh god all that sounds brutal😭 hope it passes. If you have expressed milk thats so good for helping heal a cracked nipple. Hopefully not but keep a wee eye on your boobs for lumps and symptoms in case it's the start of mastitis with your headache, any aches or flu like symptoms it's usually a blocked duct/start of mastitis 🤮 x
I've planning to attach my little manual silicone pump to relieve some pressure so hoping to avoid mastitis! Tbh the crack is already looking a bit better so I think I'll brave her bedtime feed and follow that up with pumping just to make sure I'm properly empty. I forgot to mention she only feeds off one side haha, hence the being on bottles all day 🥲

• Heart
Have you got the silverette cups? I used them religiously in the first few weeks of BF and they saved my nipples!

Reactions: 1
I've planning to attach my little manual silicone pump to relieve some pressure so hoping to avoid mastitis! Tbh the crack is already looking a bit better so I think I'll brave her bedtime feed and follow that up with pumping just to make sure I'm properly empty. I forgot to mention she only feeds off one side haha, hence the being on bottles all day 🥲
Oh thats good its healing! Omg we have days of a side preference, why do they do that?! Surely it's all the same?! Do you have one big boob one wee boob👀😅🤣

• Haha
Oh thats good its healing! Omg we have days of a side preference, why do they do that?! Surely it's all the same?! Do you have one big boob one wee boob👀😅🤣
Yes. Literally yes. 😫 It sometimes takes me by surprise when I roll over 😂
---
Have you got the silverette cups? I used them religiously in the first few weeks of BF and they saved my nipples!
I've never heard of those. Upon a Google they seem like a bit of an investment piece! Maybe I'll check Vinted haha

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Yes. Literally yes. 😫 It sometimes takes me by surprise when I roll over 😂
---

I've never heard of those. Upon a Google they seem like a bit of an investment piece! Maybe I'll check Vinted haha
They aren’t cheap but I did manage to get mine second hand! They are honestly worth every dollar I paid for them haha

I kept the pads in the fridge (in the packet so it was sanitary). Putting them on cold after a feed was amazing relief.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.