New baby and post birth advice #55 loo activity suggestions

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My work have a parents room where you can sit and have a coffee/wait and see how they are without being in the room before you leave. Did they mention anything like that? We’ve always done first visit parent stays in the room, then parents room then depending on the child, leave.
No they didn’t! It’s quite a small nursery I’m not sure there is a parents room or anything similar tbh, I have been emailing though so will check. When we went to meet the owner last week my little boy cried when she spoke to him so that’s good 🤣 hopefully that’s not a sign of what’s to come haha

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Tell me why baby L has just been sitting bolt upright in his cot for half an hour. Praying he goes back to sleep as he was up for a good hour or so the last two nights.
For those with little ones in nursery/ starting nursery, have you attended the first settling in session? I’m planning to but I’m wondering if it will make things worse/ harder. It will only be 2 hours and then LO would go 2 days later on his own for 3 hours.
Baby L's first settling in session was us sitting on the floor in the baby room surrounded by babies while we filled in forms with baby L's key worker 😂 the babies kept trying to give my husband and baby L toys (but not me for some reason 😅) it was meant to be 30 mins but we were there for an hour. He worked up to full days over 2 weeks in the end but we didn't go in apart from that first one.

Baby L seemed really happy that first time so I felt confident sending him in on his own for the next session although he ended up quite upset for a lot of it. But it was helpful to see that he could be comfortable in the nursery environment and was excited and curious, and it gave us confidence that he would eventually settle in, which he has.

---
Any thread title nominations? We are overdue a new thread!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Gave birth Friday, awake now due to having to hand express colestrum for baby. My baby unfortunately even at 37w5d just wasn't feeding enough and slow to feed and on formula top ups so between the midwives and doctors my little baby was taken to special care within the hospital.. Basically he's a term baby acting like a premie (attention seeker much) Mentally it's so hard and between just everything I feel so helpless but this gives me something to control over it. Anyone else have had similar issues, the thought of leaving the baby and I've to go home is likely looking to become a reality and it breaks my heart 💔

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Gave birth Friday, awake now due to having to hand express colestrum for baby. My baby unfortunately even at 37w5d just wasn't feeding enough and slow to feed and on formula top ups so between the midwives and doctors my little baby was taken to special care within the hospital.. Basically he's a term baby acting like a premie (attention seeker much) Mentally it's so hard and between just everything I feel so helpless but this gives me something to control over it. Anyone else have had similar issues, the thought of leaving the baby and I've to go home is likely looking to become a reality and it breaks my heart 💔
So sorry to hear you're having a tough start. ❤ My little boy is 12 weeks now but we had a week in hospital after his birth. It was quite a prolonged, traumatic birth and he ended up as a forceps delivery with jaundice and an infection which meant he just couldn't/wouldn't feed and ended up tube fed in NICU for a few days. I didn't have to leave him at the hospital and I had made the choice to formula feed so our situation was slightly different from yours but I totally get how out of control it feels. I know I just felt so sad for my boy and also for myself that it hadn't been the birth experience or start to my little boy's life that I'd envisaged. Thinking of you and your little one and I really hope you're home together soon ❤

• Heart
Oh the hand expressing colostrum is not fun I remember it well! Hope you’re okay💕

• Heart
Reactions: 1
how is it in one breath you can call your kid a little cow and the next breath be like “mwah, love you” she leg slammed and pushed herself away from me when I opened her nappy this morning (full of wet sh.*t) and it went EVERYWHERE. Honestly I can’t quite believe it. Then she’s just so cute and nutty all is forgiven in seconds 🥴

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Baby fudge has just had a huge poo and is now wide awake babbling away 😆 I’ve put him in his cot in his room and he’s playing with the mobile and smiling and I’m just stood watching him 🥰 but also wish I was still sleeping!

• Heart
So sorry to hear you're having a tough start. ❤ My little boy is 12 weeks now but we had a week in hospital after his birth. It was quite a prolonged, traumatic birth and he ended up as a forceps delivery with jaundice and an infection which meant he just couldn't/wouldn't feed and ended up tube fed in NICU for a few days. I didn't have to leave him at the hospital and I had made the choice to formula feed so our situation was slightly different from yours but I totally get how out of control it feels. I know I just felt so sad for my boy and also for myself that it hadn't been the birth experience or start to my little boy's life that I'd envisaged. Thinking of you and your little one and I really hope you're home together soon ❤
It seems to have been similar enough as my baby is being tube fed too and it just upsets me to even look at him being hooked up 😔 then through no faultl for my the poor person beside me she'd feeding her girl perfectly and I well just couldnt 💔😞 typical boy thing to sleepy to feed himself. I hope things are better for you know and it seems like a distant memory. It just feels like it's a bit lonely and cold down in the Nicu

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I had to leave baby Rita in nicu for just over a week when I went home and it was the hardest thing I had to do. I also made the decision to formula feed as I couldn’t face the stress of trying to pump etc with everything else I had going on (her being poorly, myself being ill). It is so so hard, do you live close by to the hospital? I am only 5/10 mins away so I could easily go in the morning, pop home for lunch and a break, back in the afternoon, etc. There are lots of really good Instagram accounts for nicu mummies for support x x

• Heart
Does anyone else have a high sleep needs baby? Baby Ro needs at least 3hrs in naps to have a decent overnight sleep and where he’s been poorly / tit nap weekend we’ve gone back to 4am wake ups everyday.
I hate feeling like a control freak over naps but if I don’t get them bang on myself & oh pay in the form of hourly wakes and then a 4am start (as well as baby Ro obviously being majorly sleep deprived!)

• Heart
Sleeps gone to sh*t here again. He was doing 11hrs (with a wake or two) overnight and it’s dropped to 9-10 hrs. Won’t nap longer than 30 mins a day again.
What do you do when they are getting up earlier and earlier so bedtime is getting earlier and earlier… add in a little extra cat nap to get them back on track?
I got abit annoyed at husband earlier, I can’t even go to toilet in peace, baby woke up and he comes In to me like what do I do with him….. it’s been 10 months of having him work it out!!!! Feel exhausted and cranky, everything literally everything falls on me.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Baby Wood had the wild wiggles and ended up wedged horizontally in his cot last night 😆 this also means he’s now a menace at nappy changing time, too.
Husband has an issue with his knee so I’m now doing all feeds and changes plus running the house. Tomorrow, he goes back to work so also won’t be on hand to look after baby while I pick up his share of jobs. Baby wood is going to have to get used to his new high chair very quickly

• Heart
Reactions: 5
What solutions did anyone use to help get around the house and get chores done in the day with baby? Husband on Paternity atm so I just get him to sit in the living room/ occupy her whilst I get bits done, but conscious when he goes back to work I’ll need something. Considering a baby wrap thing? Anyone got any good recs ?

Baby Wood had the wild wiggles and ended up wedged horizontally in his cot last night 😆 this also means he’s now a menace at nappy changing time, too.
Husband has an issue with his knee so I’m now doing all feeds and changes plus running the house. Tomorrow, he goes back to work so also won’t be on hand to look after baby while I pick up his share of jobs. Baby wood is going to have to get used to his new high chair very quickly
I used a high chair which had a lie flat newborn insert in and it was a lifesaver, especially with my giant dogs roaming around the kitchen. She loved it, it had a mobile on it and I used to dip her dummy in gripe water and she would actually drift off to sleep in it sometimes, hopefully baby Wood will do the same as I managed to get loads done.

I am feeling so grateful to my little girl right now. Its like she knows when she needs to sleep through.
I'm full of cold, hubby is full of cold & we were both saying how we desperately want a full night's sleep, and flipped a coin on who was waking in the night (I lost 😭) but little lady slept from 8pm-7.30am!!!
And this morning she is happily playing by herself whilst I lay on the sofa sulking about my congested nose & wishing i didn't have to work tonight 🤣

Ps everyone was right. I value my time with my family so much more now I'm back at work, even if I'm exhausted & have been awake for 24 hours by 6pm on a Wednesday. And seeing little ones face when I walk through the door, or when I pick her up from nursery has been the tonic getting me through the day.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
i love baby frog endlessly and he was brill overnight last night, but in the mornings he just fusses and fights and cries whatever i do with him! we seem to have a few hours a day where he is simply furious for no apparent reason. being on your own with no partner is hard sometimes, nobody to ask to hold him for a break.. he kicks my c section with his little legs too and it’s opened up a bit and kills 😖

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
What solutions did anyone use to help get around the house and get chores done in the day with baby? Husband on Paternity atm so I just get him to sit in the living room/ occupy her whilst I get bits done, but conscious when he goes back to work I’ll need something. Considering a baby wrap thing? Anyone got any good recs ?
Definitely get some sort of carrier - I didn't get on with the fabric wrap I had but I've since bought a more structured carrier (the BabyBjorn Harmony) and it's been a bit of a game changer. It might be worth looking on Vinted for a bargain to try out before making a big purchase.

I also have a bouncer/rocker chair which baby tuesday will quite happily sit in for a while.

How long do people spend at meal times with their babies?
I feel like I’m doing everything wrong. It can take an hour sometimes 😭 and he just doesn’t eat anywhere near as much as those ‘what my baby ate in a day’ tiktoks.. shouldn’t compare but 6months in and don’t feel like we’ve made massive improvements?

It’s just all a guessing game sometimes. This morning I put his breakfast on a plate but he just wasn’t eating it. Wanted to play with it, try flip the plate. Mash the food. I take away the plate and put a few individual bits out and he then eats fine for a bit. But that doesn’t always work? Sometimes a plate is fine. 🙃 spoon food he keeps going through phases of it’s all he wants/then rejecting for days… I just want him to eat 😭

maybe this is all normal. I just find it so bloody hard some days !!

• Heart
New thread this way! I got the number wrong 🤦🏻‍♀️ have asked mods to change it

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.